How do I use kefir? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-21-2005, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From what I understand, I can purchase kefir at my local healthfood store. I read that I add a packet of it to my soured raw milk and let the milk sit on the counter overnight? Is that how it works? And then do I refrigerate it again? Also, how much kefir do I use per milk? And after I've left the milk overnight, how do I use the milk? What does it taste like/what foods are best to use with it? I have a chronic mild yeast infection in my right breast that comes and goes (I've been nursing 6 months), and I've just now started purchasing raw milk. I read that using kefir in the milk might help (that the milk will have a lot of probiotics). Thanks for any tips!
#2 of 2 Old 07-21-2005, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is a wonderful thread around here somewhere about kefir that would be helpful to you.

It kefir grains that you add to fresh raw milk. I havent ever made though my mom did I have dried grains and the book from Dom. My used for over a year and it never did help her yeast problems.

There is a probiotic 'bead' from Natrol thats supposed to get the most probiotic to your gut without it getting killed by acid in our stomachs.

I tkink kefir is yummy kinda along the lines of buttermilk IMO

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page