kefir soda makers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-25-2005, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mine is not at all fizzy! I'm using powder for starter, since I have no water grains. I do open the jar up while it "cooks" b/c I am paranoid about pressure building up. Once a day. It's never an issue with my lacto fermented fruits and veggies. Should I try again and not open it up? Can I use this batch as starter for the next or should I use powder again?

Any thoughts are welcome! I'd really like for this to work for us. I'm assuming it should be fizzy, actually. How fizzy?

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#2 of 3 Old 07-26-2005, 12:11 AM

HI. I made the keifr berry soda in Fallon's new book Eat Fat Lose Fat. It says to ferment 48 hours, strain, bottle, then sit out for 48 hours then put in fridge. This one was fizzy!! (i used the powder). But most of the time my other concoctions with the live grains don't produce fizz. Pressure builds up, but once you open it it isn't really fizzy ( I am looking for a soda replacement!!) Sometimes I get a fairly fizzy one, but not sure what I do different. As for pressure, I've left mine for days (with live grains though) and nothing ever exploded. I use mason jars and also some 3 quart jars with wire and rubber locking lids I found at local grocery store.

HOpe this helps a little.
#3 of 3 Old 07-26-2005, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, that's where I'm getting my recipes, too. So, you're letting it sit for 48 hours TWICE? I just re-read it and didn't get that from the instructions. I'm using the wire and rubber locking lids, too. So, I should try to leave it out for longer?

Also, how sweet are the sodas? Mine are pretty sweet.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page