Help with my new kefir grains? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-01-2005, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi--I've been trying out my new kefir grains in raw cow's milk, and I'm still in the learning stages of how to make a kefir that works the best for me. I left the lid on loosely of my last kefir batch, and the curd and whey separated pretty quickly. I stirred it before trying to strain it in a tea strainer with a nylon mesh. Is the straining supposed to take a really, really long time? My fermented kefir was full of large curds that didn't break down easily. The kefir that made it through the strainer looked like milky water. Am I supposed to just use the milky water? Or is it better to have curds in the kefir? I ended up putting some of the curds in the kefir, but then the resulting kefir was clumpy (kind of a turn off to drink!). I have a new batch going with the lid tight this time, and so far the whey and curd haven't separated (I'm also using only a cup of milk as opposed to 1.5-2 cups last time).

I'm thinking of trying to get one of those bath toy mesh bags that Heather wrote about in the archived kefir thread. Do you all think that will make the straining process faster?

Also, when is it okay for my daughter to drink kefir? She's only 6 months old, so I know it will probably be a while yet... ? She has a yeasty diaper rash, so I've been giving her a probiotic powder (from the healthfood store) in her solid foods. I figure the kefir will utlimately be better (the powder doesn't seem to be helping).

Any kefir experts out there to give some tips/advice? :

Thanks,
Katherine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2005, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First, the kefir needs air, so no lid. Just cotton cloth with rubberband over it.

Second, try putting less grains in, maybe just one or two big ones. Sounds like too many grains for too little milk. And 24-48 hours is long enough for fermenting.

Here is a how-to link with pictures, so you will know what it looks like.

http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/Mak...thod_for_kefir

Hope this helps.

Okay, sorry, the website I gave you said "loose fitting lid", but I could have sworn when I started making kefir it said "needs air so cloth cover only", and to stir it every so often. Oh well? It's still a good site.

User Tag List