non-dairy yogurt/kefir making - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-01-2005, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is allergic to dairy (and soy), so what is the best alternative for making yogurt and kefir? Coconut? Almond milk? Any differences in how I would make the yogurt? (I make whole milk or goat milk yogurt for the rest of us, I have yet to make kefir)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-01-2005, 09:23 PM

My dd is allergic to dairy and soy also, so I'd love to know too!

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#3 of 5 Old 08-02-2005, 12:35 AM

I can't be of help with the yogurt, but I just wanted to say that coconut milk kefir is delicious! I love it made into a smoothie with pineapple. YUM! You can also kefir juices. It makes them fizzy and yummy and has the added benefit of cutting down the sugar content!
#4 of 5 Old 08-02-2005, 12:48 AM

Another idea is the water of young green coconuts for making kefir. (Coconut milk is the coconut water mixed with the meat of the coconut.) I makes this all the time. It is loaded with minerals! More info here!
#5 of 5 Old 08-02-2005, 04:17 AM

i'm new at this too, we just went gf/cf about 2 weeks ago.

i've been making rice milk kefir for a little while (a week?). it doesnt act the same as cow milk kefir, ie it doesnt get thick, so i let it sit until the whey separates out. it gets made into popsicles, so i figure it doesnt really matter if it overprocesses. i was just reading sandor katz's book recently, and it sounds like he's made kefir out of just about anything you can think of (even gatorade!? definitely something we wont be trying out!) that's liquidy and has some carbohydrates in it for the kefir to feed on.

there's a cashew yogurt recipe here: http://www.pecanbread.com/recipes.html (about 2/3's of the way down the page) i plan to try it as soon as a get a chance to scout out a source of non-dairy yogurt start.

heartbeat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page