NT Mama's August thread? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-13-2005, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Meat done in the slow cooker or leftover from cooking stock is very soft and easily chewable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2005, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr
When does it start? If I wanted to get involved when would be the time to do so?

I also have some herbal questions for you.
It starts at the first part of May if I correctly remember. I think I sent my deposit to hold my share in March.

I can totally help with the questions. Do you want to consult online, on the phone or in person? Feel free to email me and we can get started on a herbal package for your family.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attached Mamma
I'm new to NT, and would like to get my family off of soymilk, we don't drink much, usually just use it in recipies, but what do you do when you cannot find a local source for raw milk?
Have you checked here? http://www.realmilk.org/
Old 08-13-2005, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr

Hibou, how many loaves does your bread recipe make? I'm starting it tonight.
It makes about 3 medium sized loaves. I don't usually do the sponge the night before, so let me know how it turns out!
Old 08-15-2005, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Ok ladies, I need help. I just got 50 #'s of golden plums, extremely ripe. I don't have a dehydrator and my freezer is quite full. What shall I do besides lacto-fermenting them???
Help!
Karen
Old 08-15-2005, 02:46 AM

you could make jelly??
Old 08-15-2005, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

but that would include high temps killing all the good stuff wouldn't it? Is there a way to make jam without damaging all the good enzymes/vitamins whatever? Kinda like a raw or low heat jam? and I wouldn't want to can traditionally because of high heat, so is there a way to LF it?
Karen
Old 08-15-2005, 12:13 PM
cjr

You could make freezer jam. There are recipies out there for no cook freezer jams. The beauty about no cook freezer jams is you could get a pectin that uses no sugar at all. There must be a way to ferment them into a spread.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:01 PM

I can't remember exactly how to make it, but you could probably make dehydrated fruit leather with it too.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:32 PM

You could make Plum T'ej. Its on page 129 of Wild Fermentation.

I made plum chai ketchup last year. Yum.

Ingredients are plums, apple cidar vinegar, crystalized ginger pieces, onion, molasses and cardomon, clove, cinnamon, ginger powder, black pepper and sea salt and pomona pectin. Combine it all together like a stew and process. If the plums are super ripe then you won't have to cook at all just chop the ginger pieces to small size and heat the mixture so the powdered herbs dissolve. Then freeze instead of processing. Not NT but yummy none the less.

pomona pectin....http://www.pomonapectin.com/
Old 08-15-2005, 03:40 PM

I've had a question for those of you that do your chicken stock in the crock pot. Do you skim the scum? If so, how?
Old 08-15-2005, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybirds2
I've had a question for those of you that do your chicken stock in the crock pot. Do you skim the scum? If so, how?
I strain mine through a strainer and leave it at that.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 08-15-2005, 05:36 PM

Mountain Mom - That sounds incrediblyl yummy!! Would you mind sharing the amounts and/or ratios? I'd like to make some of that but would have no idea of the amounts. I can do pretty well with a pinch of this and a dash of that, and this or that to taste. But I don't know if I can do the WHOLE thing that way, kwim?

TweetyBirds2 - I make lots of stock. What I do is let it come to a boil very slowly. The foam will develop at the top BEFORE it coms to a boil. I use a regular soup spoon to spoon it off of the top. If it goes into a boil, the boiling water will "stir" the foam back into the stock, and the opportunity for skimming is gone. But I try not to let it get to a boil anyway - just a very very mild simmer, with a few bubbles coming up every so often. hth!
Old 08-15-2005, 06:09 PM

Okay. That's just been my main concern with trying it in the crock pot, I just couldn't see how one would be able to skim all the foam off, or if it even does make the foam come up to the top when it is in the crock pot.
I guess I'll just have to try it sometime, it seems like lots of people have had good luck with their stock in the crock pot.

My last few loaves of sourdough have tasted sooo good to me. I've just done it with grains, starter, water, and salt. Maybe it's just that my tastes have changed, but it has tasted so rich and flavorful! Especially good with raw butter.
But, I'll be retiring my sourdough for a while while I do the Specific Carbohydrate Diet to try and heal.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

I gotta be honest, I do my chicken in a crock and strain thru a collander and dont worry about the rest of the stuff. When it cools, the thick layer of fat on top I pull off and give to the dog and we eat the jelled broth.
Karen
Old 08-16-2005, 12:26 AM

Oh, now I know what you mean by scum, LOL. I guess I stew mine low enough that it isn't an issue. I just strain it.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 08-16-2005, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr
You could make freezer jam. There are recipies out there for no cook freezer jams. The beauty about no cook freezer jams is you could get a pectin that uses no sugar at all. There must be a way to ferment them into a spread.
Can you tell me more about this? I never thought about cooking it as killing it...hehe...I love to make my own jam...
Old 08-16-2005, 05:22 PM

Got this in my mailbox yesterday from Baby Center and thought of how grateful I am I found NT...

Quote:
Time to trim the fat! Once your child turns 2, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that you reduce his fat intake to less than 30 percent of his daily calories. You can do this by switching to low-fat milk and cheese and offering plenty of whole grains, beans, fruits, and vegetables. Soon your child will be looking more svelte as his limbs and torso start to lengthen and his body proportions begin to resemble those of an adult.
Needless to say, this household will not be following that dictum. Even though my guy is still a chub I'm trusting that it's the way he is meant to be right now.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:17 PM

: Jane, I agree. It really makes me sad to think of putting kids on a lowfat diet-- of all the things the AAP could be spending their time educating people about, and they're discouraging whole milk! :

I picked up some coconut oil today. Since baby and I can't have butter, margarine is one of the last consistent vices left in our diet, so I hope that using coconut oil in it's place will help. Where should I keep it? Does it need to be refrigerated? I also picked up some cod liver oil. I'm really bad at remembering to take my vitamins though. Maybe if I put it on my menu plan, it will remind me.

I've been getting headaches the last few days, and was wondering if anyone else gets headaches/migraines that seem to be food related. Now that I've been on a traditional foods diet for awhile, I seem to be noticing that I get more headaches when I eat foods that aren't properly *broken down* (like beans from a can, as opposed to sprouted beans for example). Weekends are sometimes bad eating wise around here- usually when we fall off the wagon so to speak, and I started getting a headache on Sunday night. Sometimes it's compounded by feeling bloaty. I always wondered if it was something in my diet causing my headaches and migraines, but I could never make a connection until now when it seems to be not one particular food, but rather how my food is prepared.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:22 PM

Hibou, I have a large post for you but no time right now, I will be back tonight!
Old 08-16-2005, 07:32 PM

Hmm, Hibou, you should make a BodyTalk appointment. I'll send you Nancy's info via regular email. Jeff's headaches and backaches are gone for far longer than they ever were with the chiropracter and he hasn't snored since his appointment a week and a half ago - even while on his back! His was a dural tube issue, though, not food related.
Anyways, I'm with you on noticing a difference. I had donuts for supper last night (well, dh made me a taco salad, too, so I at least ate some real food) and breakfast this morning, and am now starting to regret it. BUT one thing I'm starting to notice is that although I'm affected by improperly prepared food, if I make sure to have some sort of lactofermented veggie or drink with the meal I'm a bit better off.
Don't let me forget to drop off those kefir grains for you sometime this week.
Oh, on the coconut oil - you're going to love it. I use it for everything - anywhere I'd use butter, and in some cases I like the results better. It is a bit more expensive though.

Just wanted to let you ALL know about an awesome thread over in health&healing, because I know many of us were drawn to NT due to digestion issues. It's the Healing the Gut Tribe
Check it out!
Old 08-16-2005, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
Mountain Mom - That sounds incrediblyl yummy!! Would you mind sharing the amounts and/or ratios? I'd like to make some of that but would have no idea of the amounts. I can do pretty well with a pinch of this and a dash of that, and this or that to taste. But I don't know if I can do the WHOLE thing that way, kwim?

So what I did resembled this...

I took my medium sauce pan and added enough diced and shmushed italian plums to fill to 3/4 full.

Then I added diced up crystalized ginger, probably a quarter cups worth and then the same amount of diced white onion.

Then I add a shwoosh of molasses which resembles about 1/4 cup.

I let that simmer and stew to be a warm temperature then I add 1/8 cup of apple cidar vinegar and the spices.

I allowed it to simmer and mingle for about 1 hour.

Then I filled 250 ml wide mouth mason jars and water bath processed. It was a major experiment. You could add the pom. pectin at the end to firm it up but I found it to be quite firm without.

Yummy on roast bison sandwiches with hot musturd and craut.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibou

I picked up some coconut oil today. Since baby and I can't have butter, margarine is one of the last consistent vices left in our diet, so I hope that using coconut oil in it's place will help. Where should I keep it? Does it need to be refrigerated? I also picked up some cod liver oil. I'm really bad at remembering to take my vitamins though. Maybe if I put it on my menu plan, it will remind me.

I've been getting headaches the last few days, and was wondering if anyone else gets headaches/migraines that seem to be food related. Now that I've been on a traditional foods diet for awhile, I seem to be noticing that I get more headaches when I eat foods that aren't properly *broken down* (like beans from a can, as opposed to sprouted beans for example). Weekends are sometimes bad eating wise around here- usually when we fall off the wagon so to speak, and I started getting a headache on Sunday night. Sometimes it's compounded by feeling bloaty. I always wondered if it was something in my diet causing my headaches and migraines, but I could never make a connection until now when it seems to be not one particular food, but rather how my food is prepared.
I see you migraines/headaches as a gallbladder issue. The gallbladder is greatly affected by the fats we eat and don't eat. You mentioned margarine still being in your diet. This is part of the fat issue. But with the coconut oil and fish oil your gallbladder will thank you.

ITA with everything HerthElde said. BodyTalk is awesome.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:02 PM

I get headaches/migraines from so many things; perfumes, cigarette smoke, cleaners, petrochemicals in general. I think I was (like many other people) so overloaded with these things in my environment as a kid and growing up, that when I finally got away from them, my body was very happy for it, but now goes into high alert whenever I am in contact with anything of that nature. It's definately a digestive issue as well though, so I need to get to the root of it. I had a herbalist friend tell me she believed it was my liver. Whatever it is, I've had migraines since I can remember, even as a little kid. When my body's not well, my head takes all the punishment!!! Anyways, I will stop hijacking now. Definately interested in looking into body talk though.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:26 PM

What is the difference between extra virgin coconut oil and regular?
Old 08-17-2005, 01:06 AM

I've been lurking on this thread but have not had time to post...been totally swamped with work! But just wanted to let you all know I'm still here.

We have finally weaned over here so I am starting my giant cleanse. I am a bit scared to see what will happen with the parasite cleanse...eek. But hopefully it will resolve my chronic nasal stuffiness.

Hibou, I definitely notice digestive problems when I eat non-fermented bread. I bloat up like a balloon.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toraji

We have finally weaned over here so I am starting my giant cleanse. I am a bit scared to see what will happen with the parasite cleanse...eek. But hopefully it will resolve my chronic nasal stuffiness.
have you tried grapefruit seed extract nasal spray?
Old 08-17-2005, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl
have you tried grapefruit seed extract nasal spray?
Nope, haven't tried it but thanks for the tip! I am wondering if it would just make me dependent on the spray though? I would like to resolve the issue from the source, from whatever is going awry in my body. Maybe I should check into Body Talk too (sounds intriguing).

cobluegirl, do you go to the WAPF meetings in PDX? My friend is one of the chapter leaders.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:45 PM

Here's some general info on bodytalk Toraji (and anyone else who might be interested)
http://www.bodytalksystem.com
I have an appointment tonight - I'm really looking forward to it! I'll try to find time to post about how it went (I'm guessing digestive issues will come up again)
Old 08-17-2005, 09:46 PM

Nutribiotic makes a nasal spray with the grapefruit seed extract....oh yeah..what about a netti pot? have you tried one of those? that is what my step mom uses...

I haven't been to the WAPF meetings...have thought a little about it...hehe..I have been to one NT meeting put on my a local lady....

User Tag List