NT Mama's August thread? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 141 Old 08-23-2005, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't see what would be wrong with sprouted pastas, as long as you do well on grains. I've wondered how to make them myself before, my juicer comes with a pasta extruder attachment.

Oh, the things that bring us JOY! I made my stock in the crockpot last night and today, and boy did it gel!! I was so excited when I got it out of the fridge and saw how it looked just like jello. I don't know if it was the crockpot, but I'm sold!
#122 of 141 Old 08-23-2005, 11:11 PM

I love it when my stock turns out really well. Making stock is so rewarding to me. I like the way it smells up my house, the way it jells so nicely in the fridge, and the feeling I have when I make soup with my own stock.

I'm glad yours turned out so well!

My concern with the sprouted pastas (well any of it, actually) is that we, as a society, tend to take something past the point of all reasonableness. Look at the way people have jumped on the low-carb wagon. The low-fat/no-fat diets, etc. I think it's really easy to get so carried away by looking at only one factor, that we miss the big picture. "oh, it's low-carb, sprouted, low-sugar, etc., so I can eat that. it's ok." When really, we should be thinking "how does this product fit into healthful eating? how far removed is it from it's natural state? what is this going to do for me?, etc." Not so much so that we lose the enjoyment of eating, but just to keep it all in balance.

I guess that's one reason I like NT; I feel like it is a more balanced approach to food. Food in its natural state, a balance of everything, not cutting out an entire group of foods, trying to find a healthy balance.

Whew! that turned into quite a novel! Stepping off my soapbox now!
#123 of 141 Old 08-24-2005, 12:30 AM

anyone read Sally Fallon's new book on fats?? I haven't read it yet but looked at it last night at the store..couldn't help but notice that she is much heavier in the current picture...some of that could be age...the one on NT is probably an oldddd..pic..but I find that discouraging..I don't want to eat a lot fat at get fatter....someone telling me that such and such is the best way to eat but yet appears to not be in good health themselves.....

ok I am rambling...enlighten me please...
#124 of 141 Old 08-24-2005, 01:37 PM

I would gain weight too if I was a gourmet chef! :LOL

I have the book, I think it is a great book and has good resources and meal plans, but a few there are a few things I would change.
She includes 2 cups of raw milk. I think that the majority of dairy should be cultured, so I'd replace those with cultured stuff, so the the lactose is cut back more. Also, I think the coconut oil is a bit too much, but that's just me. I'd cut back on the extra coconut oil and use it on the skin instead.

You can definately over do the complex "legal" sugars and gain weight! Another reasaon why I think it's better to cut back on the milk sugars as well.

But, I don't want to judge her, I'm sure she's still very healthy and not sick.
#125 of 141 Old 08-24-2005, 03:41 PM

I hope I didn't sound too judgmental..I wasn't trying to anyhow...was just curious....
I like the concept because I like my fats...hehe..but I am trying to lose weight not gain....and well...the pictures are really different...
#126 of 141 Old 08-24-2005, 05:16 PM

I think the Garden of Eating diet addresses the calorie issue pretty well. The gist of it is that if you are very active, then you can eat loads of calories but for our modern (read: non-traditional) sedentary lifestyles, we need to adjust accordingly.

So you can eat tons of fat and calories and slap butter on everything, but if you don't do any sort of active movement I think it will start to add to your weight. Think of all the activity that the native tribes did, or think of the Amish. No dishwashers, no washing machines, no food processors, no vacuums. How many calories would you burn if you had to wash all your clothes by hand?
#127 of 141 Old 08-24-2005, 06:32 PM

No you didn't sound judgmental at all! Totally legitimate question.
My best bet is too many NT deserts, not the fat.
#128 of 141 Old 08-24-2005, 11:50 PM

what is her new book called? I'd like to look at it on amazon.
#129 of 141 Old 08-25-2005, 12:09 AM

Rachael, I think that is a totally legitimate concern. I'd like to know that someone who's telling me how to live a healthy life is healthy for the same reasons. I remember the first time I read NT, and I thought that eating a traditional diet and not living a traditional lifestyle may not be compatible. We don't do the same amount of physical labour as, say, our great-great-grandparents did, so why should we eat the same way? Then I realized that it's the principles that are important, and we fine-tune our diets to meet our less-active requirements (or breastfeeding, or pregnant requirements).
I guess the other thing is that some people say that you can overweight, and still be perfectly healthy. I don't really know whether I believe this or not. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
#130 of 141 Old 08-25-2005, 12:46 AM

You know, I don't think she's overweight, it's more just a noticable difference in the face from the picture in NT. I do still think it is from the uncultured dairy + perhaps a bit much legal sugars, maybe grains. I know that my face can look more puffy when I eat too much of that.
In the book she seems to portray the fact that she isn't really into that sort of quest for being thin anyway. Just more about being healthy. She did say on the phone that she never got any sort of flu type sickness last year when it was going around, so at least we know she is healthy that way.

But Hibou, your right, it's all about the principles anyway, and we can follow our intuitions on how to interpret them for ourselves.
#131 of 141 Old 08-26-2005, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybirds2
You know, I don't think she's overweight, it's more just a noticable difference in the face from the picture in NT. .
I forgot to say, I never actually saw the picture.

Anyways, does anyone know how I could make a fermented hot sauce? Something really spicy. It might just be the thing to lure dh over to the dark side. :LOL He puts hotsauce on everything.
#132 of 141 Old 08-26-2005, 01:07 AM

oh glad....hehe...Yeah dh and I were discussing the activity level too...
#133 of 141 Old 08-27-2005, 12:23 AM

Eating too much fat is my current area of specialty.

I dropped loads of weight on a candida diet but when I realized that certain deficiencies played such a role in my depression, I ate a lot -- like 4,000 calories a day for 18 months. I have gained back the weight -- about 40 pounds. I did not exercise in those months. So I can guarantee you that you will gain weight if you are not careful, but look at my numbers: I ate obscene amounts of food and gained only 40 pounds. In the old calorie counting days, my "maintenance calories" were around 1800-2000 a day without exercise. I ate at least 2000 a day more. What makes a calorie? 3500 or so extra calories? I should have gained 1/2 pound a day for 18 months -- 250 pounds or so. So my point is, the math doesn't really work out like you would fear if you are not filling up on grains and other foods that are basically sugar.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#134 of 141 Old 08-28-2005, 12:31 AM

Something that struck me was just how healthy and glowing she looked, regardless of maybe having a little "extra" weight. I'm not sure how old she is, but she has no wrinkles.
Also, I believe that if you follow your body's hunger cues you will not be overweight *IF* you are getting the nutrients your body needs. This is regardless of whether you're active or not. I'm not an active person (I don't exercise - I rarely even go for a walk, terrible, I know), yet I lost at least 40 of the 60lb. weight gain I had during my pregnancy (I had already lost the other 20) in a very short time (3 months maybe?) despite (because of?) eating loads of fat and just following my hunger instincts. Of course, I'm not exactly a picture of health, and I'm not digesting my food like I should (except when I follow NT principles). Dh lost weight as well. He's thinner now than he has been in at least 6 years. He's also pretty sedentary. And we both eat until we're full, snack when we're hungry, eat right before bed, etc.
If anything, if I lived a traditional lifestyle with more physical activity, I would simply be eating more.
FTR, when I went into this pregnancy, I weighed 129lbs. (and I'm 5'8"). I'm close to halfway, and I'm now at 135lbs. as of a couple days ago. Dh is 6' and now down to about 180lbs. (he doesn't have digestive issues and he's still drinking a 600mL coke every couple of days)
#135 of 141 Old 08-30-2005, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been away from the computer -- and NT -- for a while. Reading what you ladies are doing is certainly inspiring!

For starting babies on meat (I think it was gardenmommy who asked?), I would maybe do slow-cooked meat bits in stock or gravy (though then you would have a thickener in it). That's what I've given to my baby, who is one year, a couple of times. She enjoyed it, but then, she enjoys anything she puts into her mouth -- food or not.

I have a question similar to the plum one -- we have a bushel of peaches sitting on our counter upstairs. They are seconds. I would prefer drying them, but I don't know if I have the space to do it. I don't have a dehydrator, but I do have a shelving unit that the shelves aren't solid on, in a small, south-facing room upstairs. I am thinking of lining the shelves with cheesecloth, putting 100-watt bulbs into a few lamps, and bringing a fan up there. I don't have room for freezer jam. Peach butter seems to have a shorter processing time, but the recipes I've seen all call for sugar, and I'm not crazy about hot water canning anyway. NT has recipes for peach chutney, but they don't keep long. My organic farmer does a lot of NT stuff, but she says that all of the recipes are junk, basically. She does her fermenting in sterilized jars with boiled salt water, not water and whey, and they ferment for 2 weeks in a warm shelf, then keep indefinately in cool storage. (Like a pantry, root cellar, etc.) So does anyone have a longer-storing fermented fruit chutney recipe? I'm also going to make a few peach pies, I think. Uhm, I'll be making the crust with lard, does that count for anything?

And speaking of lard, I need some meat fat help. I'm just not really clear on it, I guess. If I, say, cook a whole chicken for stock, the fat that rises to the top -- can I just keep it in the fridge and use it for frying things in? Does all of the fat in the meat liquefy when you cook the meat, or is there more in there to be used? I know when we make roasts, there is often fat left in the meat (which I love, by my dh refuses to eat it). What do I do with this fat? I have read in the Little House books how they heat the fat and strain out the cracklings. Is this rendering? How does it change the fat? I just need to watch someone doing all of this, it isn't making sense to me otherwise.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#136 of 141 Old 08-30-2005, 07:53 PM

I've been rendering lard today. Pork lard though. Brisen, you can just use your chicken fat for cooking if you want. I don't render the fat from my chickens, so I don't know if I'll be a lot of help there, I usually just leave it in the stock. I got some organic unrendered pork fat from the farmer's mkt though, and I put it in my roaster on low heat in the oven, and let the fat melt away. I just strained it, and put the solids back in, and turned up the heat, so I should get a little more. I'm trying to decide what to do with the cracklings. I might save some for salad but I'd like to try making some pemmican or something. I don't think dh or ds1 would eat it, but the baby and I would. I think there will always be a little fat left in meat, no matter how you cook it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Also, suggestions for what to do with cracklings would be appreciated! TIA!

edited later to add: omg! the cracklings were awesome! What a treat! I got about 4 lbs of lard and 1 lb cracklings. The kids love them. I can't even tell you (but you guys prolly understand) how great it felt to see them sit down and eat a dinner of cracklings, soaked-grain pancakes, coconut milk and fruit!!
#137 of 141 Old 08-31-2005, 02:24 AM

Long simmering of chicken stock seems to make the flavor sort of tired - it's all going up in steam. It seems to work better for me to get it going with a little ACV, lemon or wine, refrigerate overnight or longer, and then simmer an hour or so and strain. The cartilage is so soft I just eat it right off the bones standing over the stove, and it really seems as though everything that can come out, does come out - it's a very firm gel. And it tastes better. Also, I don't try to get a lot of volume - easier to store a concentrate, anyway. One quart of strong stock from one bird is about right.

It's easier to do it all in the same pot - roast the greased bird on top of the giblets and some veg/herbs/garlic, with a half cup of water in the cavity and a cup poured into the bottom of the pan. You can also simmer the bird breast down on the stovetop, then flip it, simmer a bit more and finish roasting - it takes an hour off the time. Then carve it, pick it and start the stock.

Someone on another board mentioned simmering stock with fresh medicinal herbs - esp. echinacea and astragalus - for winter use. Brilliant...

The Ezekiel sprouted pasta was on sale, so we got some but haven't tried it.... it's pretty pricey otherwise. We only make buckwheat pasta at home now, but I'd be willing to try the soaked recipe.
#138 of 141 Old 08-31-2005, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks, Hibou. I think I'll just have to experiment with it.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#139 of 141 Old 09-01-2005, 03:21 AM

Hey, does anyone have any ideas for native nutrition classes for kids? I have an opportunity to teach a monthly class for children and am looking for fun ideas to get healthy eating across. They probably won't be SAD dieters, but the "alternative" mainstream types (shop at co-ops, eat organic generally, but no idea about NT and still eating packaged foods albeit organic ones).
#140 of 141 Old 09-02-2005, 03:18 PM

That sounds great Toraji!! Let me know where and when and how much..maybe my kids could join in...lol
#141 of 141 Old 09-03-2005, 04:00 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page