NT Mama's August thread? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2005, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone started this thread yet? I can't find it. I am learning so much from the threads and others sturggles and recipes etc....
Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2005, 05:42 PM

Been sort of busy lately but I try to read at least some of the posts, but anyways I'm still here. Just wanted to sub.

Oh, and here's a question. I'm not likely to get my dh and ds to eat many fermented foods any time soon, but I was thinking that I could add sauerkraut juice/kimchi juice to their soups. I've tried putting kefir in smoothies, but that didn't fly. Ds will drink grape juice kefir though. Just wondering if anyone can suggest other ways to use fermented foods so that they don't seem so unappealing to finicky eaters?
Old 08-03-2005, 05:51 PM

I'm interested, too, since our kids aren't too fond of the fermenteds. However, they do like the ginger carrots and dill pickles, and I can hide kefir in their smoothies.

One philosophy I've always held to is that just because they don't like it today, doesn't mean they won't change their mind tomorrow. So, I always offer a tiny amount of everything we're eating, even if I know a child doesn't like it, and it will probably go uneaten. I don't force them to eat it, just put it on their plate. We've had a few wonderful suprises when a child decides, on their own, to try something they formerly didn't like, and then asks for more! I guess my point is. . . don't give up!
Old 08-04-2005, 12:49 AM

Subscribing. Posting soon. Busy time.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:57 AM

Thanks for starting one.

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
Old 08-04-2005, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

well this is something we cal Mur-a-hah's. Lets see, whenever I do something with ground meats, for every 1LB I add 1/3-1/2 lb ground organ meats (usually 1/2heart/1/2 liver mixture that my butcher does for me).
Whenever I have something like spinach(or soups,broccoli casseroles), I add some kelp granules. Nutritional yeast goes well with many many things, soups, stirred into cereals/oatmeals etc... pancakes,
Kefir is put into smoothies, I freeze the Kefir into ice cubes, I freeze bananas, start with a raw egg, a TBS coconut oil, a little nutritional yeast, blend that all up, add frozen bananas, Kefir cubes and some raw honey or stevia, then strawberries or blueberries, sometimes if it needs a bit of thickening, I add a little coconut flour right before serving to make it really smoothe.
Another favorite flavor is Pina Colada with frozen pineapple, kefir and coconut along with all the other hiddens.
To get fermented foods in, think cool salads, Potato salad is a great place for example, or Huzaar (pickled Beet salad) Tuna salads etc.
My family also earts the gingered carrots if I mix it with a little mayo and raisins before serving.
These are just off the top of my head...
Karen
Old 08-04-2005, 10:22 AM

thanks, we have slowly been changing our diet. I was lacto/ovo veggie.

2 questions about organic chicken
1. is $7 a high/low price for a whole *I would say medium sized* chicken
2. How do you cook an entire chicken? cut it apart and cook parts separate or cook the whole thing? If you cook the whole thing at once how do you do it?

thanks
Old 08-04-2005, 02:24 PM

For here $7 is a great price, the cheapest I have found is $2.45 a pound and they are 5-6 pounds so that would be well over $10 and at my coop it was $17 for a whole one at like $5 a pound.

You can cook chicken lots of ways, but I cook it whole in the crock pot. I am just not confident about cutting it though.

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
Old 08-04-2005, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

$7 is about normal around here. When I get a whole chicken, I crock pot it a la NT. First of all, I break the wing bones, (broken bones make it gel better) then I put it in the crock along with some extra gizzards/livers, I add a couple TBS raw ACV and then carrots, celery, garlic, onions, and fill crock to the top with filtered water. Then You are supposed to leave it standing in the crock for a half hour before turning it on. ( I am not sure why but SF recommends this). The ACV helps draw the calcium out of the chicken bones. Anyway, then I turn it on low and let it go between 12 and 24 hours. At the end of this time, I strain out the broth and use the chicken for other purposes, a favorite is chicken salad for sandwiches. In our house, the broth becomes the NT peanut soup on page 224. It is an absolute favorite in our family. I often sprout some brown jasmine rice before serving, and with a little rice in that soup, it is a wonderful meal.
I do this once every week or two. Everyone fights over the last of the chicken salad, and my highschooler often eats the peanut soup for breaakfast even. There is never enough... The only one who doesn't like all this is the finicky 3 year old who prefers cheese sticks and raisins :

Karen
Old 08-04-2005, 05:34 PM

Hi y'all. I want to subscribe as well as reply to Rachael from the July thread. We are going camping this weekend too, although we have a travel trailer with a fridge to make it easier. What I do is this:

1 - Pre-cook a lot of food. I make a big batch of hearty soup, and/or beans and rice (with sprouted beans and rice cooked in bone broth). I freeze this. You could do this and it could slowly thaw in your cooler. This is always handy when we are hungry and don't have time to cook over the fire.

2 - I bring a lot of frozen ground beef for cooking over the campfire.

3 - I have to remember to stop my sprout/soak/dehydrate schedules ahead of time!

4 - I've made some dehydrated fruit leathers and sprouted seed crackers that I mentioned in the July thread.

5 - Bring easy traveling fruits and veggies - sweet potato, onion, zucchini, apples, oranges, bananas, what have you.

6 - I totally skip all kefir, sauerkraut, and fermented anything that must travel in a glass jar. I also make a note to store my kefir grains in a fresh solution. You'd have to do whatever to your milk grains - put them in the fridge I think? (mine are water grains).

7 - Your family could also bring cheese and properly prepared nuts.

hth!! Gotta run!
Old 08-05-2005, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nini2033a
$7 is about normal around here. When I get a whole chicken, I crock pot it a la NT. First of all, I break the wing bones, (broken bones make it gel better) then I put it in the crock along with some extra gizzards/livers, I add a couple TBS raw ACV and then carrots, celery, garlic, onions, and fill crock to the top with filtered water. Then You are supposed to leave it standing in the crock for a half hour before turning it on. ( I am not sure why but SF recommends this). The ACV helps draw the calcium out of the chicken bones. Anyway, then I turn it on low and let it go between 12 and 24 hours. At the end of this time, I strain out the broth and use the chicken for other purposes, a favorite is chicken salad for sandwiches. In our house, the broth becomes the NT peanut soup on page 224. It is an absolute favorite in our family. I often sprout some brown jasmine rice before serving, and with a little rice in that soup, it is a wonderful meal.
I do this once every week or two. Everyone fights over the last of the chicken salad, and my highschooler often eats the peanut soup for breaakfast even. There is never enough... The only one who doesn't like all this is the finicky 3 year old who prefers cheese sticks and raisins :

Karen

Wow, Karen, you've inspired me! We eat a lot of whole chickens (and, BTW, pay approx. $6-$9 per chicken), and I usually cook it in the crockpot on low for about 7-9 hours, or in the oven at 350 til the legs separate from the body. I'll throw anything in with it, from root veggies to herbs to fruit (lemons or raisins or apples, etc). Once we've finished our meal, I pick the meat off the chicken for chicken salad the next day, and freeze the carcass for the next time I make stock.

I'm going to try the peanut soup; haven't made that one before!

Jen
Old 08-05-2005, 12:27 AM

Anyone had luck with the banana bread recipe? I've tried it twice now, once with soaked wheat, and once with soaked spelt, and it didn't rise either time. We still ate some hot out of the oven, but once it cooled, it turned disgustingly rubbery.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:38 AM

Man, I would love to be paying $7 for an organic chicken. I shell out the $18 for one once or twice a month at my coop. I really need to find a cheaper source.

I made the pickles in Wild fermentation the other day and they are really yummy. Tried making the coconut crackers in Eat Fat Lose Fat, and they are disgusting. Anyone have a good cracker recipe?

I hope my little one doesn't turn into a picky eater. Recently she was going crazy for kimchi!! Hopefully she keeps that up!! And I just started her on yogurt but keeping my fingers crossed. Her cousins have milk allergies, intolerences or digestion problems whatever you want to call them.

Oh and in my house the fav soup is the Coconut Chicken Soup in Eat Fat, Lost Fat. I never knew adding coconut milk could make is so delicious!!
Old 08-05-2005, 03:40 AM

wow I am behind already...Thanks Pilgrim for the info!!

As for chicken...we don't buy it often but I can get it for about $2.60 a lbs free range no hormones...so that sounds about the same as everyone else when you add it up right?
Old 08-06-2005, 12:10 PM

question about making stocks. If I add greens to my stock, will their nutrients infuse into the stock?
Old 08-06-2005, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory maker
question about making stocks. If I add greens to my stock, will their nutrients infuse into the stock?
Yes, but some of them turn out a bit bitter.

chicken We pay $8-10 not on sale, $5-6 on sale per bird. I think the best sale price I've gotten is $1.29/lb

update
I've had a lot of fat cravings lately. Last night I ate bread smothered in raw butter. Piled high. And I don't usually eat bread, so it was an enormous treat. I guess fat cravings aren't the worse kind of cravings to have.

We have a whole head of beef down at the butcher's. Does anyone do anything with the hooves ? I think we're using all parts except the brains and eyes (mad cow paranoia), lungs and a few other organs. We'll give away the tongue and tripe to some friends.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 08-07-2005, 01:15 AM

Subscribing. I've been lurking for months. We finally found a way to heal dd's gut and am incorp. lots of NT into her diet. I've been making her the 24 hour goat yoghurt and giving her raw goat cheese. I decided it's time to make her yoghurt from raw milk, but I have some conflicting advice. Most mamas said to heat the milk to 110 deg, but another mama just mentioned that the enzymes start to die at 93deg. I have to keep the yoghurt 100-110 for 24 hours to convert all the lactose to galactose for dd. I have to heat it to at least 100. Should I just skip the raw milk? I think it would be very beneficial to her if the enzymes are still alive.

TIA,
Old 08-07-2005, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

I would definately still do the raw milk, but might rethink the yogurt you are doing. Personally we are using Caspian Sea Yogurt which I got a starter from www.happyherbalist.com. The thing about CSY is you don't heat it. You add raw milk to the starter and leave it on the counter in a jar for 9-24 hours, depending on summer or winter. Then when you eat it, you take about 1/4 cup out, put it in a new jar with milk and leave it on the counter. The rest you eat. It is slightly milder tasting than regular yogurt. The one thing to note, when making it with H&P milk it will turn to yogurt faster, raw milk takes about twice as long, so I do 12 hours, stir with a plastic or wooden spoon and do another 12 hours. No metal can touch the yogurt. Since you are not heating it, you are not killing the bene-bacs.
You need to make it at least once a month to keep the culture active.
Karen
Old 08-07-2005, 12:07 PM

Karen -
Thank you so much! I will look into this .

Peace,
Old 08-08-2005, 01:38 AM

That is really interesting about the caspian sea yogurt. i've never heard of that before, and I will check into it.

We pay about 2.75/lb. for organic chicken. That's the whole bird, more for just a breast. I get drumsticks for about $1 less per lb., because the farmer doesn't have as strong a market for them.

As for beef, not sure what the going rate is. I've seen it as high as $15/lb., but I think that's really high. We sell our beef for about $2/lb. hanging weight. I don't know off-hand what that translates to for packaged weight.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:12 PM
cjr

Organic beef and organic chicken is mucho expensive here. It's a trendy thing so it has a tredy price tag. I buy non-organic, old fashioned free/farm range, no injections at all, grass fed (in the summer) chicken from a local farmer who sells at the market. He charges $2.25/lb. I usually buy a BIG bird once every 2 weeks. Put it in the crock for dinner, take off all the meat while it's in the crock, then prepare and make stock right away. I usually buy a 7-12lb bird, depending on the time of year. We're getting a turkey from him this year too. I love his chickens and you can really taste the free range in them. I buy eggs from him too, $6/flat.

The organic chicken is almost twice as expensive. I bought 3 small birds and it cost me $75. That was the last time. Her ground lamb is $5/lb and I can handle that every once in a while. No way could I handle buying her chicken breasts...$7-9/breast.

The organic beef is pricey too, so we buy bison. There is a bison rancher at the market and he practices free range, grass grazing, no hormone, no antibiotics, gentle/non aggressive butchering. He went through his whole ranching practices and I was very impressed. I prefer the taste over beef. It's very lean too. I haven't bought beef in over 6 months. I don't know the exact price, but about 1 1/2lbs of ground bison is around $5, two bison striploins are $12-15. I can handle that. Two striploin organic beef steaks are at least $20.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:25 PM

The last chicken I bought was a 5.75 pound and it cost $19.50. Hmm whats the math on that....about 3.40 a pound. Here in Alberta I will pay for the certified organic label because of the ground water pollution due to the sour gas wells and the flare sites. They are a dime a dozen in the country.

Bison prices sound the same as CJR's.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:17 PM

I was going to ask who gets bison. I talked to the guy this morning and for right now we are getting soup bones and probably a liver. I wish we could afford more. I am going to talk to DH about a 1/4. What do you ladies think about bison?

Old 08-08-2005, 04:02 PM

We love bison. I do a roast once a week and use that for my dh's lunch. Usually an inside round roast in the slow cooker.

I eat the bison liver raw. Its awesome.

We also have bison jerky, bison steaks, ground bison for chilli and the like and bison stew meat. The stew meat is great. Very inexpensive and I cook the stew for about 12 hours. So yummy.

I feel that the bison has been the largest factor in returning my health to wellness.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:46 AM

I just got a copy of Nourishing Traditions last night. I am excited to start reading it...hopefully today
Old 08-09-2005, 11:51 AM

I just loaned out my NT book to another couple. They've had it about a week. Now, I've been doing NT for over a year, and you'd THINK I could go a week without my book!! But I'm always trying something new, and can you believe I've needed that book 3 times since it's been gone! I guess that's Murphy's Law in action! :LOL
Old 08-09-2005, 05:32 PM

I just spoke to the butcher regarding our head of beef.

Me: Can you grind up the heart and kidneys and put it in the hamburger?

Her: No, that will ruin your hamburger.

Me: OK, can you grind up the heart and put it in 1 pound packages. We'll report back to you on how it is in hamburger. (I am skeptical of the kidney myself, so we'll see on that one.)

Me: And another thing. I know this is wierd. We actually believe that fat is a good thing. I will feel deprived if I end up with extra-lean ground beef.

Her: OK, "don't trim very much."

So, speaking of the prices of meat: this head of beef will end up costing between $2.50 and $2.75/lb. We don't know the dressed weight, including bones, organs, etc. But considering soup bones (organic but not grass fed) are $2/lb at Whole Foods, I am pleased at this deal. This is grass-fed and local, by the way.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 08-10-2005, 01:01 AM

[QUOTE=mountain mom]

I eat the bison liver raw. Its awesome.

We also have bison jerky, bison steaks, ground bison for chilli and the like and bison stew meat. QUOTE]

We LOVE bison jerky too!
Mountain mom, how do you prepare the raw liver?
Old 08-10-2005, 02:04 AM

I do a raw liver smoothy.

I take bison liver and freeze it for 3 weeks then I thaw it in the fridge. I cut a piece from the liver about 2 inches square and shred it. Then I add that to freshly squeezed orange juice that has lots of pulp and mix well. Then I drink it slowly, chewing the pulp with the shredded liver.

The remainder of the thawed liver I cook for dinner

Hibou, what part of Saskatchewan are you from? (if you don't mind me asking...I am in Calgary)
Old 08-10-2005, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

I ordered a half bison which should be here anyday. I will be getting heart and liver and some bones for broth. I would love to know how you make the jerky. My DD loves Jerky and it is so easy for her to take to school or wherever. Would you share with me how to do this? We do eat alot of bison already. I use it wherever I would usually use ground beef. I will be paying $3.50 lb hanging weight for a half cow. I have a chest freezer dedicated to meat and a smaller chest freezer for fruits and veggies.
Karen

User Tag List