NT September thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2005, 02:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm back

I came across this http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4347443.stm

yet another good reason to eat lacto fermented veges.

which brings me to a ?. I have a pot I have used to make saurkraut in the past but it has had kombucha in. I have heard kombucha ruins pickles. Anyone know how I can make sure the pot is totally kombucha free ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2005, 05:11 AM

would baking soda and vinegar work? I have never done either so I don't know..just thinking of something....lol
Old 09-18-2005, 05:18 AM

I was wondering about vinegar as well as kombucha is a yeasty type organism. I know I managed to grow a kombucha mushroom from some kombucha liquid with no mushroom added. It is very persistant! I'll give the vinegar & bs a go along with hot hot water & detergent. Then I might leave it outside tomorrow as well as it is supposed to snow.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:38 PM

Love the kimchi article!

Oceanmomma, you'll need to disinfect your pot to make sure all the beasties are gone. Try food grade hydrogen peroxide, some health food stores sell it.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:44 PM

Thanx. I will look for some tomorrow when I am shopping.

Now all I need to do is find a nice Kimchee recipe. I've lent my copy of NT out.

Also, I have a gravy question. I have tried to make gravy with stock but it's never that tasty. Any tips ?
Old 09-18-2005, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr
Mountain Mom, did they do pickling cucumbers at the CSA? Are you organizing a group trip? I really want to get involved with this next year.
They don't have pickling cucs. The most ecconomical place to get them is from the Gull Valley stand at the Curry Baracks. You have to call ahead and place an order and then you can pick them up there. They aren't certified but they are pesticide, herbacide and fungicide free.

When you call ask for the spiney backs for pickling.

here is the number..Scott Epple...403 782 1474 Cell is 403 348 1670

There is no immediate plan for a tour. This month has been crazy busy for me. You could go out on your own though by just calling ahead to Kris and chatting about it. Here is his number 337 3321. Let him know I gave you the number and that you want to tour and enquire about the CSA for next year. He is SUPER nice. The farm is very 'rustic' so bring rubbers with you.

If I do happen to go out in the next couple of weeks I will let you know!!

Old 09-18-2005, 09:45 PM
cjr

Thanks for the info Mountain Mom. I will call both this week. Have you tried making pickles?

OceanMomma, do you reduce the stock down to at least half the liquid? Do you add wine for flavor? Do you add the stock to the pan you cooked your meat into? These can all add lots of flavor to the gravy. Even just adding salt to the stock and then reducing to a nice sauce. As it reduces it will thicken up. If it's not thick enough add a little arrow root to some reserved stock to help thicken it up. The more you reduce it the thicker and more syrupy it gets. I like to really reduce it until it's nice and thick and most of the liquid is reduced. The flavors is so concentrated, so you don't need much at all but you don't need much.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:47 PM

No I don;t reduce it down to half doh! We don't really ever have wine in the house as neither of us drink it. I'll give the reducing it to half a go
Old 09-18-2005, 10:58 PM

I love adding mushrooms to gravy.

I have made pickle, Cjr, they turned out great. I followed NT recipe but I used old bubbies brine and whey to start them. I do that alot. Use old brine to begin new ferments.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:46 PM
cjr

Old bubbies? Sorry is that a brand of pickle?

Ocean Momma, the wine would add a different taste but won't make it tastier. If that makes sense? If I have left over wine then I will use it. Have you ever gone to a really nice restaurant and ordered a steak that came with a reduction? It's heavenly. That's what reducing the stock will do. The more you reduce the more concentrated the flavors are. I always reduce by at least half. Don't forget salt and pepper. Let me know how it turns out for you. I'm making roast chicken for dinner tomorrow and I'm making a reduction with the chicken stock as a sauce. I have never had a chicken gravy so I hope it's good.

I made pancakes the other day and what a pain it is to mix everything into the soaked flour. I have a great recipe for waffles where the whole batter sits in the fridge overnight. Do you think this would equal soaking?
Old 09-19-2005, 01:56 AM

http://www.bubbies.com/index.shtml

Bubbies pickles are best store bought pickles IMO.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr
I made pancakes the other day and what a pain it is to mix everything into the soaked flour. I have a great recipe for waffles where the whole batter sits in the fridge overnight. Do you think this would equal soaking?
I made pancakes just last night for supper, and found the mixing wasn't too bad. Then again, I don't think that everything for pancakes needs to be mixed super great, plus I like my batter pretty pourable, so it doesn't get sticky like soaked muffin dough or whatever.
You could probably just add everything and soak it all overnight at room temp as long as you're using a cultured milk (I've been using buttermilk from the homemade butter I've been making - it makes awesome pancakes!). You might want to omit the salt and baking soda though and add it at the last minute (I wouldn't worry too much about stirring it in super well).
Also, if you have an electric mixer, it makes short work of mixing the batter. I wouldn't mix it too much though, it might add too much air to the batter.
Dh says they're the best pancakes he's ever had and he's a major pancake fan (me, not so much). He said they were more flavourful than restaurant pancakes, and he definitely liked them better with the buttermilk than with the kefir.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:44 PM

You need the room temp to begin fermentation, Cjr.

I mix all the liquid ingredients together the day I am making the pancakes and then stir it in. About 20 brisk strokes with a wooden fork prong thingy and its mixed.

I wanted to share the recipe for the most AMAZING bison stew I have ever made in my life, or had in my life. YUM.

1 onion
4 large cloves of garlic
fresh ginger to liking
2 cups chicken stock (or bison I had chicken on hand)
5 large carrots
3 large potatoes
2 large parsnips
2 cups of firm, tough, late season beans
2 cups or so of bison stew meat
1 large can of diced fire roasted tomatoes from Muir Glen

Sautee onion garlic and ginger in coconut oil, turn up heat to just below high and sear the meat on both sides turn down heat to medium and add chicken stock. Add the veggies and the canned tomatoes and mix well. Put in the oven at 250 degrees for 6 hours.

UNREAL. its SO good.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:46 PM

Nevermind, I new I had read the answer to my question before and I just found it.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:34 AM

Can you use whey from soured raw milk for culturing veggies/drinks?

I hope yes... I have a ton of it right now. It smells fresh and acidy...except the taste is really REALLY
Old 09-21-2005, 12:52 PM

I hope so - I have about 1/2 gallon of sour raw milk in the fridge right now. I was thinking I might scald it and use it for kefir. But it might be interesting to use it in baking in it's state right now and just see what the results are. Hmmmm. Oh, except I need to get my kefir grains multiplying because I have a friend who wants some.

Hey, Hibou, how'd the move go??? Are you back online yet? How're the kids dealing with it?
Old 09-21-2005, 05:06 PM

Remembered this feature re: sour milk

http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeat...e_rawmilk.html

I don't know if it's me or our type of raw milk, but :Puke to some of these suggestions.

I would not want to eat the sour cream cheese. I threw it out after draining off the whey.

Maybe I'll just do a trial run with fermenting cucumbers, those are cheap and I won't mind losing a batch if they come out repulsive.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:15 PM

:LOL I specifically left milk out of our scrambled eggs this morning because it was sour! That's one of the suggestions! Too funny.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:21 PM

Oh, awesome! I don't know if any of you all would have caught my post on it (noone responded anyway ), but it's Winter Finding today (the equinox), so I'm making a little feast for the family that's mainly vegetarian (because the purpose is celebrating the end of harvest - traditionally slaughtering animals comes later in the year -I will be using tallow and beef broth though). I want absolutely everything in the meal to be 100% locally grown, so I was trying to figure out what to do for dessert. I think I'll try the custard pudding!
Old 09-21-2005, 10:12 PM

I have a 1 kefir grains if someone wants some....these current ones i have are growing fast and they typically produce kefir with in 12-24 hrs. i don't know if that is normal as my last grains took longer...lol
Old 09-21-2005, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerthElde
Oh, awesome! I don't know if any of you all would have caught my post on it (noone responded anyway ), but it's Winter Finding today (the equinox), so I'm making a little feast for the family that's mainly vegetarian (because the purpose is celebrating the end of harvest - traditionally slaughtering animals comes later in the year -I will be using tallow and beef broth though). I want absolutely everything in the meal to be 100% locally grown, so I was trying to figure out what to do for dessert. I think I'll try the custard pudding!
I saw your thread but didn't quite know what was happening today so didn't post back. But we ended up having a September birthdays celebration at the park with our homeschool group, then went over to my best friend's house for dinner. Nothing homegrown unfortunately, though it was vegetarian (pasta with greens). She had a balance scale and had our toddlers put black stones on one side and white stones on the other until they balanced out, and gave them pomegranites and told them the story of Persephone. Fun stuff!

If you have any sort of homegrown fruit that would work for dessert (though by the time you read this dinner will be long over!)
Old 09-22-2005, 03:14 AM

Grains spoken for! THanks will post again when I have more if anyone else is interested.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The equinoxes and solstices always sneak up on me. I always hope to do something for them, but I miss them.

Are there any Canadians with kefir grains here, by any chance? I have heard that anything coming across the border in the mail is irradiated.... if anyone has any to share, I'm interested.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 09-22-2005, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

I'm such a dunce sometimes.

I read the reducing stock tips for gravy, and thought I would try it out. We love gravy, but I'm really not that great at it. Dh doesn't like anything too floury, though he doesn't really mind if it's runny. Anyway, I thought it would take FOREVER to reduce the stock. I'm afraid of boiling it (since I've heard that's not good) so I had the heat on fairly low. Well, without the lid on, it wasn't even bubbling a bit, so I turned it up a bit higher. After a while it did reduce some, but it didn't seem like too much. I turned it up a bit again, and then came down to the basement while baby napped and sick kids rested on the couch. I went back up to get the phone... smelled burned stock smell.... there is just a hard layer of stock muck stuck to the bottom of my nice stock pot. I hope I haven't ruined the pot... sigh. At least I found more bones in the back of my freezer earlier today, I thought I was out.

Ooh, but I finally made baked beans that weren't hard little beans in way too much sauce. I soaked the beans for more than 24 hrs, with double the water and whey (well, when I checked halfway through, the beans had soaked it all up, so I covered them again and added more whey). I cooked the beans for a few hours before I added the tomato paste (I think tomatoes are supposed to keep beans from softening?), then cooked them for a few hours more. I let them cool, then cooked them again. Not bad. I added a bunch of mustard, though, they weren't zingy enough. And I added brown sugar.

And I've been fermenting veggies like mad. I have a few quarts of saurkraut, and 4 or so of cortido; 5 qts of cauliflower, red pepper, and pearl onion or garlic (I ran out of the onion after 3 quarts); 4 qts of ginger carrots; 6 qts of garlic-dill pickles; and 7? qts of beets. I just got grape leaves from a friend, and I'm going to get a bunch of cucumbers tonight. Those garlic dill pickles smell sooooo good. I hope some of these actually turn out, I've only tried the saurkraut. It will be a lot of veggies and time down the drain if they all spoil.

And I found non-hydrogenated lard -- Tenderflake. Not organic....

Old 09-22-2005, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

...and I forgot about my butter.

I get my milk every Wed, and usually skim everything but the milk that was actually milked on Wed that afternoon. (It's usually one jar of Wed, then the rest from Mon or Tue). Then I make the butter Thurs eve. But I had run out of butter by Wed this time, so I tried making the butter Wed eve. It wouldn't separate! It just got kind of grainy/creamy. I only did one of the two quarts of cream; I had let them sit out for a couple of hours, and figured they just hadn't cultured enough. So I left them both out overnight. The one I had tried to do smelled very cheesey; the grainy/curdled/foamy stuff was on top, with what looked like buttermilk on the bottom (after I dumped it into the blender). It didn't do anything when I tried it in the blender again. It almost looked like the fat had separated, but it didn't hold together like butter will. So, I cleaned out the blender and tried the other cream, which hadn't been churned but had cultured overnight. I put half of it in the blender. It did the same thing -- it looked kind of grainy, like smallish butter grains, but they didn't hold together like butter does. I have a skimmer thing, usually I can squeeze the butter together in it and the buttermilk drains off, but the butter-ish grains just went right through the holes. Any thoughts? I'm glad to have those sour milk/cream ideas that were posted earlier :LOL

Old 09-22-2005, 07:39 PM

it sounds to me like maybe you didn't 'blend' it enough...not sure...
Old 09-22-2005, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen
Are there any Canadians with kefir grains here, by any chance? I have heard that anything coming across the border in the mail is irradiated.... if anyone has any to share, I'm interested.
Brisen, I don't know how long it'll be before my grains multiply enough to send some, but you're second in line to get some (unless you find some from someone else first, of course)
As far as the equinox, yesterday was like fall eve, but it's actually the first day of fall today, so it's not too late to take a walk or something small to celebrate
Old 09-22-2005, 08:09 PM

So I finally made liverpudding, "korvkaka", and it was kind of a weird experience to run the raw liver in the food processor... Anyhow, it turned out pretty good, if only I had cooked it ten minutes less. Ds, 3, loved it and he's a very picky, suspicious eater. I think that says it all...
If anyone wants to give it a shot (it's great in for main meals, snacks and even breakfast), here's the recipe. Serve it with lingonberry jam if you can get a hold of it (most likely if you live in a Scandinavia ridden part of the country):

Make a loose porridge out of 2 1/2 cups cooked brown rice, or barley, and an equal amount of milk. Run raw liver, about 1 1/3 pounds (I used lamb, but you can also use veal, pork, beef...) in the food processor along with 3 eggs, salt, marjoram, pepper, raisins or currants if you like, a couple tbsp or less of sweetener. Pour this mixture into the porridge and blend well. Bake in a greased oven-proof dish for 45 minutes or so untill cooked through and set.

It's a great way to get kids to eat liver, and is a lot tastier than it sounds.

Josefina.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:36 PM

I've been curious about NT for quite awhile (since I first started coming to this board last year actually) but I haven't gone ahead and decided to start. I've lurked on the threads on and off long time :LOL I've been thinking more and more about changing our diet and NT sounds like it might be a good idea. I just wanted a little more info before I went and decided to actually buy the book. My dd is allergic to cow's milk, goat's milk (as well soy, as all squash, eggplant, and pears) and cannot tolerate them at all, so could we still do some form of a NT diet? I am under the impression that alot of you eat quite a bit of raw dairy. My DH is a real meat lover, so I think he would enjoy it, I personally enjoy alot of carbs (beans, whole grains, fruits, veggies, etc).

We do have access to a great local organic farm for our veggies, some fruit (mostly berries) and eggs. We try to eat about 90%+ organic and we will have an organic CSA share this fall/winter. I want to make sure the kinds of stuff we will be getting are things that go along with the NT diet. We will be getting apples, potatoes, darky leafy greens, root veggies, squash (obviously dd won't be having any of that) and other local seasonal produce. Oh and organic eggs from free range chickens too. They did mention that they will have some roasting chickens (organic, free range) available this fall too. Is that something that would be beneficial on the NT type diet. I don't have the $ to buy any fancy equipment, and I don't think we would be doing any raw dairy (especially with dd's allergies). Does it sound like NT might work for us? Should I go ahead and get the book?

Also if someone could share with me what a typical day's diet looks like that would be great. As well as what my DH would be able to take to work for lunch (no access to a fridge, stove, or microwave-which we don't use anyway). Is it a bad idea to start this while I'm pregnant? We eat pretty healthy already so I can't imagine it would be a big upset to my body. I'm trying to get a better idea of how it all works before I spend any $ on the book (we are on a tight budget). Thanks so much if you read through all my

-Rebecca

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

Old 09-22-2005, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdrmrmama
My dd is allergic to cow's milk, goat's milk (as well as all squash, eggplant, and pears) and cannot tolerate them at all, so could we still do some form of a NT diet?
Absolutely! We went dairy free for a while until we found raw milk (long story, suspected allergies to dairy in dd and myself turned out to be grain-related), and although we were still using goat's milk for things like kefir and (sort of) yogurt, I actually developed a real distaste for it before we switched over to raw milk (I'm pregnant, and something in the goat milk started tasting really wierd to me). During that time we used a fair bit of coconut milk and made other drinks from the kefir grains, ate cultured veggies, etc. Eat Fat Lose Fat (also by Fallon and Enig) has a lot of coconut milk recipes, in fact. The suggest for those with dairy allergies that they should take dolomite as a natural calcium supplement. I couldn't find that so we were using dried crushed eggshells for a bit, and I've now found a recipe to make a calcium supplement using apple cider vinegar and eggshells that I'm going to try.

Quote:
Is that something that would be beneficial on the NT type diet. I don't have the $ to buy any fancy equipment, and I don't think we would be doing any raw dairy (especially with dd's allergies). Does it sound like NT might work for us? Should I go ahead and get the book?
Yep, yep and yep

Quote:
Also if someone could share with me what a typical day's diet looks like that would be great. As well as what my DH would be able to take to work for lunch (no access to a fridge, stove, or microwave-which we don't use anyway). Is it a bad idea to start this while I'm pregnant? We eat pretty healthy already so I can't imagine it would be a big upset to my body. I'm trying to get a better idea of how it all works before I spend any $ on the book (we are on a tight budget).
Hmmmm. Typical diet. For breakfast, we like oatmeal or scrambled eggs or bacon or sourdough toast or fruit or any combination thereof (and I'm sure I'm missing some stuff). Dh takes a smoothie made the night before as he's running out the door or homemade muffins. I'm kind of trying to break out of "breakfast food" mode, though. I mean, why not have fish for breakfast? After all, I'm half Scandinavian, and I understand it's very common for people to eat fish for breakast in Scandinavian countries. For lunch, we like soups, stews (either of which can be taken in a thermos for your dh), sandwiches, crackers and spreads, generally whatever's left over from the night before. If you have a deepfreeze or enough room in your freezer you (or he) could always make several lunches ahead of time for your dh and heat them in the morning to put in the thermos before work. Supper is pretty variable. I think really it's mostly just what most would consider "normal" stuff, but the preparation is really what makes it NT.
As far as being pregnant, I would say it would be very GOOD to switch to eating the NT way. We started when my dd was about 9 months old and I immediately saw improvement in her growth and overall health. I look back on my pregnancy with her and really wish I would have switched a lot sooner - I was so exhausted all the time and I gained so much weight with her. I'm pregnant again and have gained way less so far, and feel soooooo much better - PLUS I'm still nursing her, so you'd think that typically would take so much more out of me.
Check out http://www.westonaprice.org if you haven't already. There's a lot of info there that's in NT, and there are tips to get you started and stuff.

User Tag List