NT September thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 157 Old 09-24-2005, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, speaking of pickled herring, I made some pickled jackfish recently (using the NT recipe for pickled herring) and wow is it good! Just thought I'd share.
Thanks for the links toraji - I'll check them out.
#122 of 157 Old 09-24-2005, 07:11 PM
cjr

You know I rarely go to the Sunnyside market. They are so small and don't seem to carry much. However, whenever I ask you where I can find a particular food item they always seem to have it. :LOL I guess they stock quality rather than quantity. I will check them out next weekend. I should go without the kids so I can have a good look around.

I feel so bad. Everytime I want to order the CO I offer to bring it in for you too. Then something happens and I can't get it. So, I figured I will just buy it when I can. They have some pretty good specials throughout the year. Then when we go down or if they come up, it's all ready there waiting. I keep checking the site to see if their shipping rates have changes any, but they are always outrageous and I imagine they're just going to get worse. Tropical Traditions also has great dried coconut. It's really good. I still have some on hand from my last order. I have some coconut cream too that I really don't care for, maybe it will taste differently in a smoothie. Everyone seems to enjoy it right out of the jar, but for some reason it's just not my thing.
#123 of 157 Old 09-24-2005, 07:42 PM

Remember places like Community use a method to merchandise that promotes spending. Its repetitive merchandising. They double stock items on the shelf to make it look really full.

Sunnyside is jammed to the brims with quality items. There stock is better than any in Calgary. Plus they are privy to some local growers that don't supply anywhere else.
#124 of 157 Old 09-24-2005, 09:06 PM
cjr

Quote:
Remember places like Community use a method to merchandise that promotes spending. Its repetitive merchandising. They double stock items on the shelf to make it look really full.
Maybe that's why I spend so much every time I go there. :LOL Seriously, sometimes I don't want to go, even though I know I have to go. I know that I will drop way too much money and not have a lot to show for it. I will make the effort to go to Sunnyside from now on.
#125 of 157 Old 09-25-2005, 12:56 AM
Bia

Quote:
oh, and stay away from Clayton College, which apparently has a reputation for being a degree mill.
sorry to just jump in (I appreciate all the info here but I don't have enough time to get very involved in posting) but... where did you hear this? I am earning a degree in holistic nutrition from ccnh right now. They are accredited, have been around for more than two decades, graduates can go on to get board certified (after passing exams)... it doesn't seem like a degree mill to me. Check out this page http://www.ccnh.edu/visitors/accreditation.asp

I'm not trying to sound defensive... I really would like to know where you heard this.

The only problem I've found is a lot of the classes talk a lot about the lowfat bs, but I decided it doesn't hurt to have an understanding of the other side, lol. And they are offering at least one class on traditional diets, now. I can get more specialized with my research later. Besides, I don't think it is possible to find a school that has disregarded the lipid hypothesis, yet.
#126 of 157 Old 09-25-2005, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
Oh, and a question...

I want to make the fermented carrots and I seem to recall an error in the salt quantity of the recipe. Any ideas or am I dreaming?

yes if I recall..in the gingered carrots the salt is supposed to be 1 tsp not 1TBS
#127 of 157 Old 09-25-2005, 01:03 AM
Bia

oh, I forgot... I believe Cynthia Mosher was/is a student of ccnh, also, so you could always ask her more about it. (?)
#128 of 157 Old 09-25-2005, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bia
I'm not trying to sound defensive... I really would like to know where you heard this.
I saw it here: http://www.quackwatch.org/04Consumer...g/clayton.html

Now admittedly, Quackwatch is VERY pro-mainstream medicine, but he does bring up some points about getting legal license to practice. If I were not able to get licensed to operate in my own home state (Oregon), then getting a degree from there would just be a waste of my time and money. For what I want to do, only a bona fide RD after my name will give me credibility, and CCNH is not on the list of ADA-approved institutions. The only holistically-minded nutrition program I found that is also ADA approved was through Bastyr University, which does not offer distance learning.

This is not to say that you are not getting a good education however, I am just repeating what I've seen regarding accreditation etc.

Nice to meet you! Would love to hear more from you esp. since you are pursuing a holistic nutrition degree.
#129 of 157 Old 09-25-2005, 03:12 AM

toraji! I'm shocked! Really - Quackwatch? Come now, you know it's run by a bunch of crackpots :LOL
Actually, I've come to a point where I realize that accreditation doesn't really matter to those seeking viable holistic health information. What does matter is results-based recommendations.
Besides, I figure the B.Sc. after my name might count for something
#130 of 157 Old 09-25-2005, 03:22 AM

:LOL I know, I know...but I always like to see both sides as usual.

"Official" documentation of CCNH degrees being unacceptable in Oregon:
http://www.osac.state.or.us/oda/unaccredited.html

And this page is really interesting too, debunking one of their alums:
http://www.edresearch.com/BethLeyShame.htm
Though the most interesting thing on this page is...ta da! Apparently you don't need a license to call yourself a nutritionist or dietician in Oregon!
Quote:
Out of curiosity, I contacted the Oregon Board of Examiners of Licensed Dieticians’ Executive Officer Douglas Van Fleet (http://www.bld.state.or.us/about.htm) in my home state. I asked if anyone could call themselves a dietician or nutritionist without a license in Oregon. I was stunned to find that neither “dietician” nor “nutritionist” are protected titles in Oregon. Anyone can use these titles, even if they no training. I am not sure how many states lack this consumer safeguard, but the idea that consumers may be getting advice from someone who calls themselves a dietitian or nutritionist is frightening, and possible life threatening.
Nutrition consulting, here I come! :LOL (TOTALLY kidding here...)

I only have a B.A. dangit. You know, they were right about that art degree not coming in handy in the future! (kidding again!)
#131 of 157 Old 09-25-2005, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toraji
Apparently you don't need a license to call yourself a nutritionist or dietician in Oregon!
Woo hoo! That must be good news to you! Of course, I suppose there's an advantage to seeing both sides of the coin, but I personally don't feel like putting the energy (or money) into a degree I don't feel I need (oh, wait, didn't I already do that once? :LOL) Although, if I change my mind, I am lucky enough to live in a city that has a Nutrition program at the university (once upon a time I even considered a double major - I do kind of wish I had done it when I had all that debt anyway, but if I had my views may not be what they are today, so in retrospect I'm glad I didn't)
Quote:
I only have a B.A. dangit. You know, they were right about that art degree not coming in handy in the future! (kidding again!)
When I started university, I was an engineering student and the engineering student's society actually sold a tshirt that said "friends don't let friends take arts" : You wouldn't believe the reaction of my peers when I decided to transfer into biology. Ah well, gotta love 'em, I guess, 'coz I married one.
#132 of 157 Old 09-25-2005, 12:02 PM

subscribing (hi JaneS! s)

Okay, question about cod liver oil. Did anyone get their vitamin D levels tested before beginning to take it? I read about doing so on mercola's site and I'm afraid of overdoing it.
Should I just take it a couple of times a week rather than every day?
I'm taking Carlon's regular fish oil now but I really want to get my daughter and me started on clo. Thanks in advance for any help.

Loon

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
#133 of 157 Old 09-25-2005, 02:40 PM

Where do you live Loon?

As the sun gets closer to the horizon each day, the harder it becomes to get a full dose of Vitamin D. We are in Canada about 600km north of the border and we start taking it right about now every year.
#134 of 157 Old 09-25-2005, 03:48 PM

I was able to go get my copy of NT and I think I've read through most of it already :LOL I haven't read every single recipe obviously though. I'm in the process of making a giant pot of chicken stock right now, and my MIL and I are making a huge bunch of NT pickled beets (she's really skeptical about doing it 'this weird way'). I have no idea what I'm doing with the chicken stock yet, possibly making some chicken and brown rice soup. My DH and I tried to go find this shop yesterday to get organic pasture-fed beef, so I could get stuff to make beef stock, but we ended up getting really lost. :LOL Oh well!

I have about 4lbs+ of nice carrots and a bunch of zucchini I was hoping to turn into some sort of baked goods like zucchini bread, carrot cake/muffins, etc but I'm not sure if there are any NT type recipes for that. I suppose I could make something else but I really have been craving zucchini bread! I love having yummy homemade baked goods stocked up in the freezer.

We've had the NT pancakes (using ricemilk+raw ACV instead of buttermilk, etc) the last 2 days for breakfast and they are SO nice and fluffy! Usually when I make pancakes I end up using mostly white flour : because the WW ones are like rocks. I put half the batter I had made and not used up on Saturday in the fridge and I think it was actually better this am. I'm thinking next time soaking the flour longer (rather than just overnight) might make them even better?

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#135 of 157 Old 09-25-2005, 06:51 PM

I just had a yummy NT snack made from my new excalibur. Crispy nuts and a dried yogurt roll up. Both baby Ram and Isaac like the yogurt roll ups.
#136 of 157 Old 09-25-2005, 09:44 PM
cjr

I'm loving the CLO. I bought a huge bottle of Carlson's Lemon when we were in the States. However, with a family of 5 it's going down fast. I'm not worried about the vitamin D in it. We use a very high numbered sunscreen because we are very fair people so the amount of vitamin D we absorb is limited anyway.

I just made a great NT dinner tonight. Beef dip. Take 4 cups of beef stock along with 1/4c of naturally fermented soya sauce and throw it in your crock along with garlic, rosemary, thyme and whole black pepper corns. Put in a cheaper grade of beef (the only organic kind we can afford :LOL ). Set the crock on high if you only have about 4 hours or low if you have 9. Then take the roast out and strain the juice through cheese cloth of a fine strainer. Use the juice to dip the beef sandwhiches in. I like to use the sprouted hamburger buns I can buy. I also add extra sea salt to the juice because the naturally fermented soy sauce isn't as salty as the other stuff.

We had this along with a bunch of steamed asperagus and Bubbies pickles. These pickles are really good. A little saltier than I'm used to but it was better than the bite of vinegar.

For lunch we had the baked beans with some sourkrout and raw vegies.

For breakfast we had NT waffles, soooo good. With berries and cinnamon whipped cream. Is it just me or does organic whipping cream whip up better than the other stuff?

I love good food.

celestialdrmrmama - here's my take on baked goods. I don't like the way they turn out when I soak the flour. I buy sprouted (all sprouted, read labels) breads and buns. I do really love the soaked pancakes and waffles. Other items not so much. We don't eat a lot of baked goods so I don't worry about it too much. I stick to my really healthy whole grain versions and concentrate being hard core NT in other areas. That's just me though. I do have to say that the carrot cake recipie is really good (I don't soak the flour). I like it because it's the only carrot recipie I know of that uses butter instead of oil.
#137 of 157 Old 09-26-2005, 04:05 PM
cjr

Mountain Mom I want to make gingered carrots. My mom brought over some great fresh carrots out of her garden. Do you think I could use the brine from the Bubbies pickles? What would you do?
#138 of 157 Old 09-26-2005, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Can you use whey from soured raw milk for culturing veggies/drinks?
And the answer is....YES!

My fermented cucumber slices turned out awesome. I think even better than using whey from yogurt. I have about 2.5 qts of whey from sour milk now... that should be good for a long while (supposed to last 6 months in frig).

#139 of 157 Old 09-26-2005, 08:15 PM

CJR, what I would do is follow the NT recipe on page 95. Since this recipe doesn't call for any water to be added I wouldn't add the Bubbies brine. Just stick with the whey. BUT, if you don't have any whey on hand then I would use the brine forsure. Does this make sense?

I just drank some Kvass, WOW, its really interesting!
#140 of 157 Old 09-26-2005, 09:15 PM
cjr

Makes total sense. I don't have any whey, we are eating the yoghurt too fast. :LOL I made a new batch last night and I only have 2 jars left. I guess those are the hazards with having 5 people who like berry yoghurt smoothies.

I will strain my last 2 jars and that should give me enough whey for the carrots and I will make them tomorrow along with another batch of yoghurt.

Does anyone have some good info on sea salt consumption? I read here and there that sea salt does not cause the problems that table salt does. I am entered in a discussion about fermented vegetables not being good for you because of all the salt. When I look up sea salt I get some great infor on why it's VERY important to consume and why table salt is VERY important to stay away from. This person is classifying sea salt and table salt as being equal.
#141 of 157 Old 09-26-2005, 10:54 PM
cjr

I have a recipie for Kimchi, but I need some help. This one is for the stuffed cabbage kimchi and it looks really good. The first step is to start fermenting the cabbage in salt water. The second step is to wrap all the vegetables in the cabbage and jar, but the recipie calls for 1tbsp of vinegar. Will the vinegar kill off the good bacteria? What should I use instead of the vinegar? Should I just omit the vinegar part or add it and not worry about it? I want the benefits of a fermented vegetable so I don't want the vinegar to kill the bacteria. Also, this recipie says to rince the cabbage from the salty brine, but another said not to rinse. Any kimchi makers out there that can give me a hand?
#142 of 157 Old 09-26-2005, 11:43 PM

Still looking for a kimchi recipe here. I got the ingredients & then we ate the cabbage. So I am getting more when I go shopping.
#143 of 157 Old 09-27-2005, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
Where do you live Loon?

As the sun gets closer to the horizon each day, the harder it becomes to get a full dose of Vitamin D. We are in Canada about 600km north of the border and we start taking it right about now every year.
Right now we're living in Sardinia, Italy.

Loon , dh , dd , and twins ds1 dd2 **Thoughts become things. - Mike Dooley**
#144 of 157 Old 09-27-2005, 02:36 AM

I tried the baked beans today....I burned them...grrr..so tryed again with some canned beans I had in the cupboard...they were good. Will have to try them again with soaked beans and remember to not burn them next time.
#145 of 157 Old 09-27-2005, 03:35 AM
cjr

You really have to add a lot more water than what is in the recipie. I also check on them before going to bed and usually add a couple more cups of water. Adding extra water isn't a bad thing cause if you add to much you just keep cooking them until they thicken up again.
#146 of 157 Old 09-27-2005, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loon13
Right now we're living in Sardinia, Italy.
I think there are tables and charts online that show the sun's movements in relation to the latitude of a given place. I'm out of research mode atm, but when I'm back into it, I'll take a look and see if I can post a link.
#147 of 157 Old 09-27-2005, 02:44 PM

CJR there is a great kimchi recipe in the Wild Fermentation book. I would post it up but its quite long. Very easy to follow though.

I highly recommend that book for fermenters.
#148 of 157 Old 09-27-2005, 03:57 PM
cjr

I checked it back into the library. I should get it out again. I just don't want to spend the money to buy it.
#149 of 157 Old 09-28-2005, 09:52 PM

urban-homemaker

LACTO-FERMENTED SALSA
Makes one quart, double, or quadruple if you have lots of tomatoes and peppers

4 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
2 small onions, finely chopped
3/4 cup chopped chile pepper, hot or mild
6-8 cloves garlic, peeled and minced (optional)
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
juice of 2 lemons
1 TB sea salt
4 TB whey, if not available, use an additional 1 TB salt
1/4 cup filtered water.

Peel tomatoes, cut along the "equator" of the tomato, sqeeze out the seeds. Dice up tomatoes, and combine with all the other ingredients, and place in a quart-sized, wide-mouth mason jar. Press down lightly with a wooden pounder or large spoon, adding more water if necessary to cover the vegetables. The top of the salsa mixture should be at least 1 inch below the top of the jar. Cover tightly and keep at room temperature for about 2 days before transferring to cold storage. Make several jars if you have plenty of tomatoes, as this salsa is wonderful. The same Salsa can be made using canned tomatoes in the winter time.
#150 of 157 Old 09-28-2005, 10:04 PM

Next Thursdays teleseminar is about the two stage process of soaking grains. If you have questions you can email ahead of time and the interviewer will ask them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page