NT September thread - Page 6 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#151 of 157 Old 09-28-2005, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heart

So what do you all do with it? Any ideas?
Beef heart, that is.

I think I am going to defrost some sweetbreads next week and try the NT recipe. But I've been wondering about the heart. I found it in the freezer today at the meat locker and brought it home just in case.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#152 of 157 Old 09-28-2005, 11:44 PM
cjr

lao80, that salsa recipie looks good. I used to make salsa but stopped years ago because it was so much work. I think I will try yours this weekend. How long do you let it sit in the fridge before you start eating it?
#153 of 157 Old 09-29-2005, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lao80
urban-homemaker

LACTO-FERMENTED SALSA
Makes one quart, double, or quadruple if you have lots of tomatoes and peppers

4 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
2 small onions, finely chopped
3/4 cup chopped chile pepper, hot or mild
6-8 cloves garlic, peeled and minced (optional)
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
juice of 2 lemons
1 TB sea salt
4 TB whey, if not available, use an additional 1 TB salt
1/4 cup filtered water.

Peel tomatoes, cut along the "equator" of the tomato, sqeeze out the seeds. Dice up tomatoes, and combine with all the other ingredients, and place in a quart-sized, wide-mouth mason jar. Press down lightly with a wooden pounder or large spoon, adding more water if necessary to cover the vegetables. The top of the salsa mixture should be at least 1 inch below the top of the jar. Cover tightly and keep at room temperature for about 2 days before transferring to cold storage. Make several jars if you have plenty of tomatoes, as this salsa is wonderful. The same Salsa can be made using canned tomatoes in the winter time.

hehe you get this too....good for you for posting. I was so disappointed that I missed her last phone call....grrr
#154 of 157 Old 09-29-2005, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gale Force, I made a yummy beef heart crock pot dish last weekend, I was going to post the recipe, thanks for reminding me! I found it somewhere online, if I can dig up the link I'll post it too.

10 strips bacon
can of mushrooms (I used fresh)
onion (I omitted, dh hates them)

Dice the bacon; cook everything together in a fry pan until onions are soft. Drain (I didn't). Set aside to cool.

Trim fat and arteries from heart (I didn't; I didn't see any arteries, and I like fat; also, I'm lazy). Soak in salted water for 1/2 hour. Drain; pat dry. Stuff heart with bacon stuffing; skewer or sew heart closed (I used toothpicks). Place in crock pot. Pour over oil & vinegar style dressing (I forget how much; I had no dressing; I do remember that I scooped on a couple of spoonfuls of cold olive oil and then put on a splash of vinegar). Add 1 crushed garlic clove and 1 c. beef stock. Cook on high for 1 hour and low for 7 hours (I cooked it on high the whole time, since I started it late). You can thicken the broth to make gravy. It was quite tasty; even dh (who doesn't like much meat apart from ground beef and chicken breast, he doesn't like anything too fatty or that actually looks like it came from inside of an animal) really liked it. I find heart is like liver, but firmer and milder.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#155 of 157 Old 09-29-2005, 01:03 PM

any one ferment kombucha? I have a scoby coming in the mail..never done this before..lol I also have some water kefir grains...in case i have to take my kids off dairy...grrr
#156 of 157 Old 09-29-2005, 02:20 PM

Brisen,

Thanks for the recipe. I may use a variant of that. I had forgotten but my mom reminded me that we had the heart ground, intending to mix it with ground beef. But I would like to cook some just to get a sense of the flavor so that we know what to order from the butcher next time.

And bacon will make anything taste good, even organ meat. :

Amanda

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#157 of 157 Old 10-02-2005, 12:33 AM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page