NT mamas, Help me cook this chicken, please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-06-2005, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello, ladies. I finally bought some meat for my family, chicken breasts and legs with the bones and skin on them, and I don't know what to do with them. Should I just throw it all in the crockpot? Need advice, please! TIA!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2005, 11:30 PM
cjr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seperate the chicken breast from the rest of the piece and save the legs for another meal. If you decide to use the whole breast with the leg attached you must add about another 20min of cooking time. Take the chicken breasts (remove the skin) and brown them in a little olive oil and butter, about 3min on each side. You're not cooking them, just searing the outside of them so the inside should still be pink. Put them in a casserole dish and cover with marinara sauce. I make my own full of pureed bok choy, but your favorite will be fine. Bake at 350 for 45 min. When cooked take them out and sprinkle with a very sharp raw cheddar cheese (or whatever hard cheese you have in the fridge), then put the dish back in the oven until the cheese melts. My family loves this and they always turn out so tender and moist. You could serve some spaghetti squash and smother the squash with the marinara sauce from the chicken.

If you seperate the leg and breasts then you can marinate the legs (you can leave the skin on) in some olive oil, lemon juice and spices of your choice. Marinate overnight, take them out of the marinate and bake them in a covered dish for about 45 min or until the meat is pulling away from the bone. My kids love this dish too.

User Tag List