NT and weight loss - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-20-2005, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My family just started following NT and we love it! However, I am still trying to lose some post pregnancy pounds. I was wondering about how possible that is when following NT. Have any of you been able to lose weight while eating this way?

michelle
#2 of 4 Old 09-21-2005, 01:23 AM
cjr

I lost 30lbs in April and have kept it off. We eat 90% NT. I don't always soak my grains for muffins and such because sometimes I like the results and sometimes I don't. We don't eat a ton of fat, but we're not shy. Otherwise I find NT to be a good healthy way to eat. The food is all from scratch and full of nutrition.

The key is the bread, past, potato, starches and sugar intake. Sally does make a statement in her book about fat not being produced from fat, but rather fat being produced from starchy/sugary carbs. She says if you want to loose weight then eliminate them from your diet. If you want to maintain weight then eat them in limited quantities. I totally agree because that's what I had to do.

It's really easy to blame weight gain on the high fat callories of NT eating. However, she does not focus meals around breads and pasta's but rather the opposite. It's a misconception that a high fat diet will cause weight gain.

I also don't go crazy with the fats anyway. Just a healthy moderate amount of fats. Lots of vegetables. Meat at the evening meal. Lots of broth based soups and meals. Fermented dairy (which takes care of the carbs and sugar in the dairy). Fermented vegetables. One serving of sprouted/soaked grains a day. It's a very healthy and balanced way to eat.
#3 of 4 Old 09-21-2005, 10:45 AM

I agree with pp. I lost about 10 lbs (I have a 9 mo, so it's pregnancy weight, too). I try to follow NT/Maker's Diet about 90% of the time, too. Instead of snacking on cookies or crackers, I have a full-fat yogurt or some cottage cheese. I have REALLY cut down on white flour and am trying to cut down more on white sugar, but its' the white flour I cut back on that is really making a difference. I cook with butter and olive oil.

I didn't even do NT to loose weight! Just an added bonus!
#4 of 4 Old 09-21-2005, 01:34 PM

You should check out Fallon's other book, Eat Fat, Lose Fat. LOTS of great recipes in there, too. She focuses on coconut oil and weight loss.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page