NT recipe question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-26-2005, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried to make the banana bread recipe from the NT book and it came out horrible! It never seemed to cook all the way and had weird lumps in it. I suspect that soaking the flour had something to do with it... Does any one have any tips on how to make this turn out better? Also, I am considering using the same recipe, but without the soaking.. has anyone tried this? Do I need to alter the recipe in anyway if I am not going to soak? Do I still add the yogourt even thought I am not using it to soak with? I really like the ingredients in this recipe and would love to still use it, so any tips will be greatly appreciated..

michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2005, 03:57 AM

I wrote out a bunch of tips in one of the old NT thread for how I get mine to turn out (when it turns out it's sooooo good. Personally, I'd prefer a more banana-y taste, but my dh loves it and doesn't really like regular banana bread, so I leave the recipe as is. If I was just making it for myself though, I'd add a couple more bananas). I had a couple problems at first, but managed to get the knack for it . . . I'll search for the post for you.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:07 AM

Okay, here it is http://www.mothering.com/discussions...9#post3209349:
[QUOTE]For the most part, my banana bread and muffins turn out great, but I have had each fail.
What I've learned and what I do:
I always use kefir, however once I used kefir that had been made in the fridge and was a very thin consistency. Because of this, the dough was too wet, and the bread did not cook through.
Always put the pan as close to the bottom of the oven as possible - I think she says this in the intro to the chapter, but not in the recipe itself.
Freeze bananas first.
Leave in the pan until the bread (or muffins) has cooled to about lukewarm - it continues to cook the insides after you've taken it out of the oven.
QUOTE]
I should also add that I never stir by hand, it just doesn't incorporate everything in.
Mix all ingredients except the soaked flour together really well, then add the soaked flour in stages (about 3 or 4), mixing thoroughly between each addition.
HTH

User Tag List