NT October thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 104 Old 10-18-2005, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is that whole milk buttermilk? I am kind of confused with the recipes in NT. The buttermilk that comes from making my butter is at least as thin as skimmed milk. Would I make the buttermilk described above (whole milk buttermilk in NT?) using my buttermilk from my butter? Or only if I let the cream sour before I make the butter?

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#62 of 104 Old 10-18-2005, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't really know. That recipe seems like whole milk buttermilk. I've used that recipe and it seems thicker and whiter then store bought buttermilk. So, maybe you could try adding a 1/2c store bought to you buttermilk left from making butter and it would turn out more like the original store bought kind. KWIM? Let me know what happens if you try it.
#63 of 104 Old 10-18-2005, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Brisen, just go with whatever you'd prefer. I love the homemade buttermilk from homemade cultured butter (all I do to culture mine is leave the cream at room temp for a few hours). The buttermilk may not be thick, but . . . well, it's real buttermilk, isn't it? And I think it's just fine in recipes ('specially pancakes ). I can't work out the math in my head as to which way would be cheaper for you (is math brain the first to go while pregnant? :LOL) - you may just want to do it that way. I don't think there's anything wrong with sweet butter either it just doesn't have the same "sour" kind of flavour (or all the bacterial cultures) - and if you want it salty, you could always add salt to his butter for negligable cost.
#64 of 104 Old 10-19-2005, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Gotta be a specific reason why it's better than Knox Gelatine? Anyone know?
I am guessing because the Radiant Life version comes from BSE-negative tested cows while the Knox comes from any old cow.
#65 of 104 Old 10-19-2005, 01:56 PM

I don’t usually post on this thread, but I had a question about an NT recipe and thought someone might be able to help. I was trying to make the Zaruthsian (probably spelled wrong, but close) Bread recipe. I soaked my wheat berries for 3 days and they were very soft. However, no matter how long I processed them in the food processor, they never got “smooth”. At best I got a lot of chunky stuff and very sticky glue stuff. I was actually using the dough to make crackers- so I spread it as thinly as possible on some parchment and put it in the food dehydrator. This morning the spread was mostly dry and probably edible, but I don’t think it is a very good result. Anyone ever tried this recipe, what did I do wrong? The recipe talks about rolling the dough out for crackers- what I got was not rollable. Any tips?
#66 of 104 Old 10-19-2005, 05:06 PM

Hi everyone, sorry to jump in mid sentence so to speak.

I have been keeping up with the thread, not much time to post though. I am conducting on going flora balancing programs this fall and winter, compiling research to write a book in the spring. Part of the program is using fermenting projects to bring wellness back to the terrain of the body.

I will be directing the participants to this thread to glean information from all of you wise women!! Thanks so much in advance I really appreciate it. Almost all the members of the group are MDC Mamas BTW.

Take care everyone.

#67 of 104 Old 10-19-2005, 06:00 PM

I found our answer.

CULTURED VERSUS OLD FASHIONED BUTTERMILK:
* "Cultured buttermilk," commonly available in US supermarkets, is not the same as "old fashioned buttermilk," about which I get many questions. The latter is the liquid which remains after churned butter is removed. The two buttermilks bear few traits in common. See the following description of churning butter for the differences.

CHURNING BUTTER:
In "olden times," farm families would let freshly milked milk sit for half a day and skim off the cream which had risen. This cream would be set aside in a cool place, around 50-60 F. Each milking's cream would be added until several gallons had accumulated. In the meantime, naturally occurring bacteria in the cream would cause it to slightly sour. This souring increases the efficiency of churning. The accumulated, slightly sour, cream would be churned at the optimum temperature (approximately 58 F) such that the butter was firm enough to separate out, but soft enough to stick together into a mass. The butter was removed, washed in very cold water to remove the remaining milk, and salt worked in to preserve it. The remaining liquid after the butter was removed was called buttermilk. I call it "old fashion buttermilk," which is slightly sour, has the consistency of milk, but is slightly paler. It has flakes of butter floating in it. Commercial manufacturers sometimes add colored "butter flakes" to imitate the old fashioned buttermilk. However, the two products are very different, cultured buttermilk being thick and tart, old fashioned being thin, and slightly acid, depending on how sour the cream got before it was churned.
#68 of 104 Old 10-20-2005, 02:16 PM

Ah, thank you, that does explain it! My buttermilk isn't paler than my milk though, it is kind of orangey-er, almost brownish-reddisher (but not darkly so). Almost like very very milked-down chocolate milk.

#69 of 104 Old 10-20-2005, 02:19 PM

Anyone have experience with using canned sardines? I know I need to eat more fish, but I can't find it cheap. I've always enjoyed snacking on sardines out of the can, and my dad would make sardine and butter sandwiches. Anything else I can do with them?

Is it just the oily fish that have all of the good omega-3 stuff and the fat soluble vitamins etc? We usually eat Alaskan pollock.

#70 of 104 Old 10-20-2005, 03:00 PM

Tell me what I can do with cream. I've already made two pounds of butter this week, and I don't feel like making any more just now.

I have about 3 cups worth. I might make french toast with it, unless someone can suggest something else.

Thanks!
#71 of 104 Old 10-20-2005, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy
Tell me what I can do with cream.
Ice cream, creme fraice/sour cream, a batch of Cream of XYZ soup. Pour it in your morning oats/millet/grains, pour it over fruit, pour it over dessert....l

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#72 of 104 Old 10-20-2005, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Tell me what I can do with cream. I've already made two pounds of butter this week, and I don't feel like making any more just now.
A couple of times in the last two months, we have had "whipped cream parties." We whipped up the cream, added a bit of stevia, and ate it off of a spoon. It was a lot of fun and a good distraction for an otherwise not great day. I would definitely have another if I had extra cream. Of course, yitlan's ideas are a little more reasonable.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#73 of 104 Old 10-20-2005, 04:19 PM

Everything that yitlan said

Try whipping it on something, or in something. If you can find a refrigerated cheesecake recipe (google, you'll get a ton) or there might be something similar in NT -- it is uncooked cheesecake -- that calls for whipped cream. Basically, you make a crumb crust (use whatever NT substitution for regular graham crumb crust is in the book), and chill it. Whip 1 c. soft cream cheese, 2 c. whipped cream (I don't know how much cream you need to make 2 c. of whipped cream), and the recipe calls for 1 c. icing sugar. I think you can get powdered Rapadura....? Or just try skipping the sweetener, or add a bit of stevia. You beat all that together and pour it over the crust. It should chill for at least an hour (unless you're impatient and don't mind it runny -- we usually don't wait too long). Top with fruit.

If you do decide to try this, please let me know how it turns out... I keep wanting to try an NT friendly version, but I never have enough cream. Dh keeps making the SAD version with icing sugar, "whipped dessert topping," etc.

I'm going out to a new farmer that a friend of mine uses on Mon. He has super cheap stuff, and sells cream on its own (the farmer I'm getting milk from now only sells whole milk). So I will have plenty of cream for all those yummy things! Poor ds, we were having oatmeal the other day, and had run out of cream, so I put milk on his. "Mom, is this cream?" "No, just milk, we're out of cream." "But Mo-om, you know I like cream!" :

#74 of 104 Old 10-20-2005, 05:13 PM

:LOL Gale Force, I got to "whipped cream parties" and wondered where you were going with that!

So, a question about the book. I am reading through it again, and there are lots of references in the sidebars to the Masai and similar groups who ate only meat and milk. All from one kind of animal, iirc -- the zebu for the Masai, camels for some other group of herdsmen, etc. Then in the intro to the chicken chapter, SF cautions against eating too much chicken because too much of any one food can cause allergies and intolerances. Does that make any sense in light of the Masai's severely limited diet?

I'm also finding some of the cholesterol info in the sidebars hard to follow. I should be taking notes. It seems like sometimes the quotes say that cholesterol is good for you, and high cholesterol doesn't cause heart attacks etc. Some say that people on a high cholesterol diet don't die from heart problems as often as Westerners do. Then other quotes show that groups that eat a lot of meat (like the two milk and meat eating groups I was talking about above) don't have heart attacks and they have low levels of blood cholesterol. Why would low blood cholesterol be important if cholesterol doesn't cause heart problems? Wait a minute, I think I'm working this out here... One of the things I remember reading is that blaming cholesterol for heart problems is like blaming the firefighters for a fire -- cholesterol is there to repair damage. Correct? So Westerners have high cholesterol and heart problems because they eat a SAD diet which damages their heart/arteries, and then the cholesterol has to get there to repair the damage caused by it. The milk-and-meat eating groups have low blood cholesterol because even though they eat more saturated fat, their body doesn't need the cholesterol there to repair it. Is that about right? Does it make any sense at all? I'm just trying to wrap my brain around it. This probably should have gone in the cholesterol myths thread, now that I think of it.

#75 of 104 Old 10-20-2005, 06:28 PM

That is correct. Fats are part of the make up of our cells and by eating bad fats our cells are not as strong and healthy because not all the carbon bonds are filled, leaving double bonds open for free radicals to attach them selves to. The weakening of the cells by accumulation of free radicals causes cholesterol to swarm the site. Fire fighters to the fire.
#76 of 104 Old 10-20-2005, 07:05 PM

Cholesterol -- take this from someone who probably doesn't know a thing about it, but low blood cholesterol would suggest you are metabolizing cholesterol properly. High blood cholesterol means you are not metabolizing it correctly. One reason you might not be is nutritional deficiencies. I think low copper is associated with cholesterol problems. Your diet may be high in cholesterol, but blood levels low because your body can deal with it.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#77 of 104 Old 10-20-2005, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen
:LOL Gale Force, I got to "whipped cream parties" and wondered where you were going with that!
LOL. I need to be careful discussing this sort of thing. "My son and I had a whipped cream party yesterday."

#78 of 104 Old 10-21-2005, 12:25 AM

This taste like cheesecake. I haven't tried other sweeteners yet.

Vanilla Frozen Yogurt

2c yogurt cheese
3/4c sugar
1 1/4c milk
1/4c heavy cream
1t vanilla

Mix it all (I used the blender) then freeze it in your ice cream maker.
#79 of 104 Old 10-21-2005, 02:04 AM

ooh that sounds good.
#80 of 104 Old 10-21-2005, 02:43 AM

Quote:

I have about 3 cups worth. I might make french toast with it, unless someone can suggest something else.

Thanks!
I drink ours in my coffee....I wish I had extra for butter..I haven't made any in a long time. Also you can freeze your butter if you don't eat it fast enough. Or just leave it in your milk.
#81 of 104 Old 10-21-2005, 01:14 PM

Thank you so much for all the ideas for cream! I will have to try them out.

This sounds really good!!

Vanilla Frozen Yogurt

2c yogurt cheese
3/4c sugar
1 1/4c milk
1/4c heavy cream
1t vanilla

Mix it all (I used the blender) then freeze it in your ice cream maker.

Unfortunately, in one of my frazzled mom moments, I was retrieving my toddler from the open fridge, and knocked my cream jar on the floor. It broke, spilling cream everywhere. So, my attempts to use cream will have to wait.

On the bright side, my parents are supposed to be getting a cow this weekend, so I will have lots of cream in the near future to experiement with!

Ice cream, cheesecake, frozen yogurt, .... Keep the ideas coming!
#82 of 104 Old 10-21-2005, 07:21 PM

What's up with xenabyte? Anyone know?

#83 of 104 Old 10-21-2005, 07:34 PM

Hello! I am quite happy to have this thread! I have been NT for almost 2 years, and I have had excellent results with it. I am still working on WAP's Nutrition and Physical Degeneration, which is a fascinating read. I used to be a vegan, and managed to stay on that diet for a few years. I probably did my body quite a bit of damage, since I ate mostly junk, as long as it didn't contain animal products. Stupid! My DH also used to be vegetarian, and he is NOT the type of person who should be going without plenty of protein and fat, so I have quite enjoyed putting the glow of good health on his face! We have a 3 month old son, who was born easily and is strong and in excellent health. Thank you, WAP! We just started growing our own veggies and will be getting chickens as well.
There is so much good info on this forum, it will take me a while to read it all. I'm trying, though!
#84 of 104 Old 10-21-2005, 08:03 PM

She was working on a e-book.
#85 of 104 Old 10-21-2005, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lao80
She was working on a e-book.
Cool. Do you know the topic?

Edited to add: I did a search and discovered it's a cookbook.

#86 of 104 Old 10-22-2005, 02:58 AM

Oooppps, my mistake.
#87 of 104 Old 10-22-2005, 11:35 AM

No mistake Lindsey. It's an e-cookbook.

#88 of 104 Old 10-22-2005, 11:37 AM

Hey Violet. Welcome to the NT thread. There are many of us with a similar story except for the part, unfortunately, about finding NT before pregnancy.

#89 of 104 Old 10-22-2005, 02:51 PM

Welcome Violet!

I used to be vegetarian too and only found NT after I had problems with pg and my DS... I look forward to learning from you!
#90 of 104 Old 10-25-2005, 01:53 AM

whoa.....we are quiet right now..everyone cooking??

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page