NT October thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-02-2005, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's a link to the old thread:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=336499

Further to the Quackwatch thing. They list the Price-Pottenger Foundation, Weston Price Foundation and Bastyr University as questionable:
http://www.quackwatch.org/04Consumer...nonrecorg.html

Okay, so I posted a thread about this, but I know y'all don't always read the Nutrition forum thread titles (I know I tend to stick to the monthly NT thread unless I feel like I have extra time on my hands), so have any of you ever heard of the Edison Institute of Nutrition? This part sounded interesting:
Quote:
Our programs combine the latest scientific research with ageless truths practiced by traditional societies. If you join us, you will study nutrition from many different perspectives. Among these are both common threads and points of difference. That is as it should be. Nutrition as a science is relatively new, and some of its findings are controversial. The more viewpoints to which you are exposed, the more you will be able to see a larger, more complete picture. You will also be better equipped to assess the merits of new ideas you come across than if your studies had been only from a single perspective.
A couple of the texts used are Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill by Udo Erasmus (which I've never read but am intrigued by) and The Cholesterol Myths by Uffe Ravenskov (which I'm about halfway through, but just lent to my grandparents).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2005, 02:22 AM

I bet the book by Udo Eramus is a good one. As for quackwatch...grrr....that site infuriates(sp) me. It is run by the pHarma companies..and Stephan Barret(isn't that it?) who is paid nicely by the pHarma company's. They are anti anything natural and against natural medicine or eating.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:24 AM

on a good note..I soaked my first wheat berries this past week....and am drying them out now so I can make flour with them....am waiting for my scoby in the mail still so I can start kombucha and also some water kefir grains so I try that too. My milk kefir grains are going wild.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:01 AM

I read the Udo book and really got a lot out of it.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:25 AM

Hey Rachael - I wish I would have kept up with things on the board here - I HAVE water kefir grains I could give you, and a friend with plenty of scobies! oh well, let me know if you still need them. It sounds like you've got them on their way to your house already!
Old 10-02-2005, 03:55 PM

Just checking in and subscribing! I still have not figured out exactly what you are supposed to do about kefir : Would it work without dairy?

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

Old 10-02-2005, 04:28 PM

Just my quick thoughts on the Quackwatch thing since I brought it up...I definitely don't agree with everything he says, but he does bring up some valid points about degrees being handed out without proper accreditation or field recognition. I just think that anyone giving nutritional advice, especially in book form, will have their credentials analyzed and if you are found to have a degree from a non-properly accredited place, then you will be dismissed as a quack and thus not knowing what you are talking about. It's unfortunate that this has to be the case, because there is great reluctance for accepting alternative therapies in mainstream medicine. But sometimes a healthy dose of skepticism is good, otherwise people start running around with leeches on their arms and painting silver on their bodies. We all need to find that balance. So that is where I am personally coming from. The more people out there promoting traditional diets that have "proper" credentials, the more widely accepted it will be.

But even if Stephen Barrett does think that Bastyr is suspect, their nutrition program is actually ADA approved so he can put that in his pipe and smoke it. :LOL

Hope that makes sense, I am totally run ragged today.

ETA: Not trying to offend the leech users or silver body painters!
Old 10-02-2005, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

toraji, I totally see where you're coming from. I figure whether I pursued a degree in nutrition at a university or not, I'll still have to take a course in holistic nutrition to feel confident in leaning that way. For myself, I think the solution is basically to take the holistic course first and if I deem it necessary at a later date, I can always pursue the university thing. Going to Bastyr, of course, would kill two birds with one stone for you.
Problem that I wonder about is regulation within a profession. If you're not following their guidelines, don't you risk getting thrown out? And then you wouldn't even be able to practice as a layman advisor - and might face more adversity than someone who has been educated by a differently-accredited body.
RNC (registered nutritional consultant) here seems to command respect in health food circles, which is enough for me. But if your desire is to write books - yeah, I can see why you'd want that accrediation. Regulation in general irritates me - it's so restrictive. Of course, the only way to change it is from the inside.
ETA: hey, weren't there some studies done recently on the use of leeches for helping some disease? I could have sworn I saw something on the news about a year ago . . .
Old 10-02-2005, 09:13 PM

ah man Pilgrim...that would have saved me $25 hehe
Old 10-02-2005, 10:22 PM

I've read the udo book, too. really liked it. i was borrowing it, but would like to purchase it sometime.

I have a question about coconut milk. I bought a can, and am wondering what to do with it now. I was thinking about putting it in a smoothie. Any thoughts?

Not very excited about the quackwatch site. They seem to be unfriendly to anything not proven by "science". (Not that it's bad to prove things, only that sometimes you can *know* something, and not have a "study" to back you up.)
Old 10-02-2005, 10:49 PM

Coconut milk smoothies are really yummy.
Also use it to cook oatmeal and then add crushed pineapple, pina colada cereal.
A baked custard with coconut milk is good too.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:02 PM

Hey all. I can't believe it is October already, which makes my little one 10 months!!. i love this time of year and it has been beautiful lately in Michigan.

gardenmommy I love coconut milk smoothies too, but recently I love putting it in my soups, especially the coconut chicken one from Eat Fat Lose Fat. Yummy.

I am so mad at myself. Tried cooking my grassfed beef steaks tonight but ended up putting them on a too hot grill and 5 minutes later they were burnt! Well at least one side was tender and juicy.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerthElde
ETA: hey, weren't there some studies done recently on the use of leeches for helping some disease? I could have sworn I saw something on the news about a year ago . . .
:LOL Actually yes. I heard that too, something about how they're really good for wound cleaning? I think. Maybe I should have said bloodletting instead. Just the concept of people using things willy nilly without knowing if there are any potential pitfalls. Wasn't there some herb on the market a few years back that had to be pulled because people were abusing it and developing serious health complications? That's what I'm talking about.

I think one would probably have more problems with "keeping up appearances" if they were something like a medical doctor or dentist, something more high-profile where the likelihood of someone calling them in for being a quack is higher. A nutritionist would probably not have as much risk, unless you worked in someplace traditional like a hospital or nursing home. But hey, people don't really seem to care that much about what goes into their bodies, only dealing with the problems which result from that, so that makes sense.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:31 AM
cjr

Coconut milk. Take some left over rice and put it on your stove top with a can of coconut milk. Add some extra milk if needed and cook on medium heat with some honey until nice and thick. Awsome rice pudding. I omit eggs because the eggs curdle the pudding and the kids won't eat it so I tried it with just the coconut milk and a little extra milk. It's very good.

I made sour cream. Well, creme freche (sp?). It took 2 days to thicken up. I just tasted it and WOW is it ever good. It's in the fridge and I'm going to make some cultured butter tomorrow. I can't wait.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:57 PM

I've always wanted to try the sour cream, it sounds good. Is that the one that you use buttermilk as the starter?

Hey, if any Portland ladies can PM me I would greatly appreciate it.

I haven't been doing anything good lately, so I don't have anything to say, but I'll be getting back on board soon hopefully!
Old 10-03-2005, 05:10 PM
cjr

I took a pint of good whipping cream and added 3tbsp of live cultured buttermilk. I let it sit on the counter, but I should have put it in the oven which is what I did after 24 hours because it was still pretty runny. I just let it go another 24 hours and it turned out perfect. Today I whipped 3/4 of it up into cultured butter and got the most delicious buttermilk from it, so thick and wonderful. We are going to have pancakes for breakfast tomorrow. The rest of the cream friache is in a jar in the fridge waiting for me to put it ontop of my creamed vegetable soup. I can't wait until the soup is done. It's like a really creamy sour cream. A little thinner, but wow is it good.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:18 PM

hello. I am new I was referred to your thread by Mountain Mom a very dear friend of mine. I am going to be switching over to this diet from the (hmm...) standard American diet.

Any advice would be appreciated

Victoria
Old 10-03-2005, 06:46 PM

tweetybird I pm'd you.

Victorian Welcome!! Do you have Nourishing Traditions book yet? That is a great place to start. I know a gal in WA that sells it for $16 if you wanna try getting it local.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:43 PM

Yeah, Victorian!!! Welcome aboard!!
Old 10-03-2005, 11:49 PM

I just might try the rice pudding thing. I'd probably eat the whole thing, since I'm the only one who likes that! Interesting to note that you left out the eggs: I grew up on rice pudding, and my mom never puts eggs in hers. Very good, it is!

I am torn between using it in a smoothie, and using it in rice pud. Hmmm.

Welcome Victoria! You'll find lots of helpful mamas here, ready to share their knowledge and experience!

I've been wanting to try making sour cream, but haven't been brave enough to want to eat the results. Very silly of me, I know; I must get over this.

On a similar note, what can I do with about a quart of sour raw milk? I hate throwing it out, but don't know how to use it.

I made awesome chicken stock today with my organic chicken carcass. It smelled so good cooking all day. The last several times I've made stock, it's been like jello. Tasted really good, too. I keep forgetting to put in the neck, though. The dog doesn't mind that too much!

What do I do with the organs? I'm having a huge mental block about cooking and eating them.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

You can use sour milk in place of buttermilk in any recipe. Also, if you can stomach it, if you drink it plain it has way more beneficial stuff than fresh raw milk - maybe use it to make hot chocolate.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:52 PM

I just finished off a very un-NT pumpkin pie. It was delish! I got it from an amish woman over the weekend. I wonder if there is a way to make such a thing more NT friendly.

I tried the Ezekial 4:9 sprouted pasta the other day, and it was not a good thing. My children very politely ate it, and then said "Mama, we really like the other kind of pasta better. Can we have that next time?" It was like eating cardboard! I felt badly for making that for dinner, and told my poor children that we would not have that again! Then I gave the rest of the box to my mom!!
Old 10-03-2005, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy
I just finished off a very un-NT pumpkin pie. It was delish! I got it from an amish woman over the weekend. I wonder if there is a way to make such a thing more NT friendly.
I've made the NT pumpkin pie and it was quite yummy!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
Old 10-04-2005, 03:56 AM

I thought this was a great little article I just read, and thought I would pass it along! http://www.greenpasture.org/index.php/awe_butter_oil
Old 10-04-2005, 12:35 PM

yitlan, I will check out that recipe and see if we like it. I am finally able to get to my books again. I just took down the dropcloths and tape from my latest painting project. my books were stuck underneath all the stuff I removed from that room, but noe I can finally get at it again.

I'm not sure about drinking the sour milk, even with chocolate in it. Interesting side note: I know several dairy farmers who feed their calves soured milk, as they say that the calves do better on it. It always used to turn my stomach when I had to do calf chores, though.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:37 PM

tweetybird, I wasn't able to open that page.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:20 PM

Sorry, it looks like they changed the site around this morning, it's not working for me either!
Old 10-04-2005, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Oh no! I skimmed it last night and found it very intriguing! Hopefully it'll come back or show up somewhere else.

About the sour milk: I forgot to add that you could use it in cooking recipes where you'd normally use milk, like casseroles, soups, etc. Also, I can't hunt it down at the moment, but I think in the last thread there was a link to the WAPF site with an article about what to do with sour milk. There was a recipe for a custard that I made, and it turned out pretty good (except I haven't quite mastered the art of making custard in the oven that doesn't taste like sweetened scrambled eggs :LOL)
Old 10-04-2005, 09:17 PM
cjr

I made my first pies last Friday for a friends baby welcoming. I made pumpkin and lemon merague (sp?). They turned out awsome. Not NT, but very good. I made a whold spelt pie crust for both and used butter for one and half butter, half tenderflake for the other. I also used half the sugar called for in the pumpkin and added molassas. The pumpkin also had heavy cream instead of evaporated milk. They both were very yummy and I'm making them again to go with our free range turkey for Thanksgiving this weekend.

I just finished a BIG pot of beef stock. YUM! We are having beef barley soup for dinner cause I get so much tender meat from the bones. This time I used organice marrow bones/oxtail/and meaty soup bones. Even after simmer for almost 24 hours the meat is always full of flavor and so tender. Soup after stock making is my favorite dinner. Did I mention I loved my new stock pot? I can make so much at once, it's wonderful.

I'm very impressed with the stock costs too. It costs me around $10 for the organic stock bones and then the vegies. I get enough for a big pot of soup with lots of tender meat, a big pot of chili and 2 more litres for the freezer.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybirds2
Sorry, it looks like they changed the site around this morning, it's not working for me either!
Anyone who wants to read this great article, go to Google, and search for:
"why I'm in awe of butter oil"

Below the first link that pops up is a "Cached" link. Use that link, not the greenpasture.org address. Google has the article for a couple weeks I think.

I saved it, so PM me if you are having trouble finding it.

User Tag List