Got this link from one of my NT lists, a raw "cookbook" NT-style:
http://www.westonprice-ga.org/Recipe...e/Cookbook.htm
#62 of 92 Old 11-16-2005, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Forwarded from my friend:
Quote:
Hi all, as you know eating well while on the go can be very challenging and can frequently derail someone with great intentions.

For my nutritional therapy class I have to do a community outreach project. What I'd like to do is put together a little book of recipe ideas and tips for people, esp. those who work long hours, travel frequently or are always
on the go with their kids. Kid-friendly foods much appreciated.

Foods should meet Nourishing Traditions guidelines as well as be low carb and low/no grain. Basically, the starchy carbs (grains, roots, fruits) in a recipe should be about 15-20% or less by volume (just by eyeballing it). Please no foods that need to be reheated in a microwave.

I would also like to get tips from you regarding anything from storage vessels or bags to planning out your food needs while out and about.

Also, when you are forced to eat out, where do you eat and what do you order that keeps you more or less within the guidelines mentioned above?

Thanks! Be sure to include your name and city/state of residence so I can give you credit. Hopefully this will be a successful enough project that I can sell the books to raise money for WAPF. It is sort of patterned after my favorite cookbook from the La Leche League, which is made up of recipes sent in by moms around the country.

Please forward this email to anyone who can help out.
PM me for her email addy...don't want to post it on a public board.
#63 of 92 Old 11-16-2005, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toraji
Does anyone else feel like an onion? I feel like every time I fix one thing, then another thing pops up that needs addressing.

yes

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#64 of 92 Old 11-17-2005, 01:23 PM

I have ordered the chicken and pork from hidden streamfarms.They ROCK! The chicken tastes so good. The cottage bacon is preety much all meat and so so so very tasty.I will be ordering the cheese next. Great prices. We have never had such tasty meat.
#65 of 92 Old 11-17-2005, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toraji

Does anyone else feel like an onion? I feel like every time I fix one thing, then another thing pops up that needs addressing.

yup. I'm an onion.
#66 of 92 Old 11-17-2005, 07:08 PM

ok...I dont understand the onion quote..someone wanna explain it...hehe
#67 of 92 Old 11-17-2005, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl
ok...I dont understand the onion quote..someone wanna explain it...hehe
It's like peeling an onion layer by layer. First you find out you are deficient in B vitamins and you up your intake and feel better. Then you hit a wall and realize you are low in essential fatty acids and you take fish oil and feel better. Then you hit a wall and realize that it's those grains that are making you puffy and lethargic and you stop eating them and feel better. Rinse and repeat ad nauseum for your whole life.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#68 of 92 Old 11-17-2005, 07:36 PM

LOL I knew it had something to do with the layers but was so not getting it.... Thanks!! I have had a headache for 4 days and am not thinking clearly..hehe
#69 of 92 Old 11-21-2005, 09:48 PM

Do you think the banana bread recipe would work with pumpkin?
#70 of 92 Old 11-22-2005, 12:08 AM

sure...I made a pumpkin bread the other day that was more or less the same as a banana bread recipe...
#71 of 92 Old 11-22-2005, 09:16 AM

Have any of you made essene bread? I'm trying to give up regular bread and I've made essence bread from the recipe in NT twice now .. I like it. Can you use other grains besides wheat? Does it always need to have at least some wheat to make it gluteny enough? Thanks
#72 of 92 Old 11-23-2005, 02:19 PM

I asked this on the main page, but just wanted all your opinions. Does homemade stock have a shelf life in the fridge? I have like 3 week old stock that was sealed by the layer of fat and kept in the back of the fridge in a screwcap jar. Is it still good or should I just throw it away.
#73 of 92 Old 11-23-2005, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticat
Does homemade stock have a shelf life in the fridge?
Just sniff it. That's what I do. You'll know if it's past its prime.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#74 of 92 Old 11-23-2005, 02:56 PM

Anyone have any experience with Organic Pastures (organic, raw, pastured dairy in CA). My mom ordered some milk from them and is passing a gallon or two onto me this weekend (My first raw milk other than a sip a few years ago!!!!!!) Any experiences with them?

Thanks for any info!
#75 of 92 Old 11-23-2005, 05:35 PM

I've had it. I imagine that it's much better if it hadn't been frozen. I stick with Trader Joes non-hom.
#76 of 92 Old 11-23-2005, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic
Anyone have any experience with Organic Pastures (organic, raw, pastured dairy in CA). My mom ordered some milk from them and is passing a gallon or two onto me this weekend (My first raw milk other than a sip a few years ago!!!!!!) Any experiences with them?
It is absolutely fantastic and like no milk I've ever had. But I am sitting right now about 45 minutes from their farm, so I've never had it frozen. It makes really good kefir. I keep intending to visit the farm and post pictures of my field trip for you gals.

#77 of 92 Old 11-23-2005, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lao80
I stick with Trader Joes non-hom.
That's what we have most of the time given the price of the Organic Pastures milk.

#78 of 92 Old 11-26-2005, 02:20 AM

Another Onion here!

I'm new to WAP, (well, fairly, I started making some small changes while pg with Grace, but am just now getting to try any of the recommendations- hopefully I'll find a milk source besides myself soon!

Right now, I have a nice gelatinous venison broth just finished (yay!) and am getting excited about what to do with it. Suggestions?
#79 of 92 Old 11-26-2005, 10:04 PM

Only have a minute, but had to post that DH and I had breakfast at my parents' house this morning and they sent us home with a cooler FULL of raw milk, cream, buttermilk, butter, and kefir.

I am SO excited!!!
#80 of 92 Old 11-26-2005, 10:59 PM

oh I am so jealous....lol Yeah for you.... :-)
#81 of 92 Old 11-28-2005, 04:51 PM
Bia

Anyone read this book? It is FANTASTIC.

The Modern Nutritional Diseases: And How to Prevent Them : Heart Disease, Stroke, Type-2 Diabetes, Obesity, Cancer by Alice Ottoboni, Ph.D. and Fred Ottoboni, Ph.D.

link at amazon

A bit technical, but relatively reader friendly explanations of the biological need for real fat, protein, etc. in the diet. Backs up NT in a way that is based on pure science and, therefore, very hard to argue with. Would be great to hand someone who scoffs at NT.

#82 of 92 Old 11-28-2005, 04:54 PM
Bia

also, what did you all do for stuffing/dressing for Thanksgiving? I tried sourdough, and it was fine, but not good enough to make again.
#83 of 92 Old 11-28-2005, 10:23 PM

stuffing....shhh...we did stovetop....
#84 of 92 Old 11-29-2005, 02:10 AM
Bia

:d
#85 of 92 Old 11-29-2005, 03:31 PM

Oooh, that looks like a great book!

On stuffing/dressing: We made dried bread cubes out of some old sourdough bread (they need to be rock hard dry), then mixed them with melted butter/olive oil (I think I used about 1/3 c to 1 lb bread), chopped onions, celery, carrots, added raisins and chopped apples and filberts. Seasoned with salt, pepper, and herbs (rosemary, thyme) and pressed raw garlic. Then stuffed the bird with it, which was excellent! We had a small bird so we had leftover stuffing, which I put into a foil pouch, added water to moisten, and then baked. I did not use enough water so it was not as tasty as the stuffing from inside the bird.
#86 of 92 Old 11-29-2005, 11:56 PM

Well, I'm really off the wagon right now! I'm eating so much junk, it's pathetic! When we get back home, I think we're going to have to have a major overhaul of our diet again.

On a more positive note, I read through a good part of the Eat to Live book by Dr. Fuhrman (can't remember his first name right now.) I found it to be very interesting, although not entirely compatible with NT. Many of his predications are good: eat more greens, veggies, and fruit, eat things as close to their natural state as possible, stay away from sugar and refined foods, don't eat hydrogenated oils, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone here has picked up that book, and what you thought of it. He doesn't seem to make any distinction between the quality of animal protein and plant protein, except that he views animal products as cancer-causing. Having been veg. for 7-8 yrs., and a good one at that, it's hard for me to buy that reasoning. Seems like if plant protein was completely adequate, I wouldn't have felt so much better after including meat in my diet again (and it was a really major difference)

I'd like to read the book a little more closely to compare it to NT. However, at this point, I think NT more closely fits my philosophy. Any other opinions?
#87 of 92 Old 11-30-2005, 03:14 AM

cjr did ETL (lol!)...she would be the one to tell you about it as compared to NT. I agree with Dr. Fuhrman that commercial feedlot animal products are cancer-causing and evil. There are studies starting to come out on the differences between feedlot and grassfed animal products (http://www.eatwild.com/references.html ), but I think it will still be a while before the modern dietary people catch up.

But despite his vegetarian slant, even he does agree that a strict vegetarian diet is not as important as including fresh fruits and vegetables.
Quote:
[...] you can achieve the benefits of a vegetarian diet, without being a vegetarian or a vegan, and the science available seems to support this.
Full article here: http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/article5.aspx
#88 of 92 Old 11-30-2005, 06:44 PM

This has the potential to affect our local homegrown food supply. The USDA has drafted a plan to track all livestock animals from birth to death, even if you just have one chicken. Livestock owners will be forced to register/RFID tag all their animals, and have to register their name, telephone number, and address for GPS satellite monitoring. This will be mandatory by January 1, 2008.

More info on my thread here:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=377242

Maybe I should just bust this out into a separate thread...
#89 of 92 Old 12-01-2005, 12:36 AM

Toraji, I noticed that in the book, also. Still, I couldn't help but come away with very mixed feelings from what I read. On the one hand, I was really impressed with his strong push for more fresh veg. and fruits. I thought that if one takes nothing else from the book, that alone would make a hugely positive impact on the SAD. I liked that he didn't shy away from using avocados and such in his recommendations.

However, he was very negative about using butter, raw milk (well, all dairy, except fat free), and red meats. I think that is a big misconception that most people have. Our bodies need something in those foods; even though I can't precisely identify what it is, I can tell a major difference when I get lots of fats from them in my diet. I don't think it's just protein; as a veg., I ate lots of protein. So, I'm fairly sure it's something else I was missing. Plus, I'm not convinced that just taking a supplement for B12 (and other critical nutrients) is as good as getting it from your diet.

CJR, what were your impressions from this book? Did you incorporate anything from it into your own diet? How did it look? This is very interesting to me, especially since the author claims to have such a high rate of success in helping so many people with serious health issues.
#90 of 92 Old 12-01-2005, 03:49 PM

I think it's a great plan if you just would add a few cups of raw milk or yogurt with your meals and some eggs at least.
I tried it last summer. Did it perfectly for a week, but I could tell that my health was going down, I was feeling very depleted. I wouldn't do it unless I knew that I was digesting my foods VERY well and able to absorb the nutrients from the huge load of plant foods that you need to eat. (omg it was HARD eating all that food! lol)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page