Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is the November thread everyone!!

#2 of 92 Old 11-01-2005, 04:57 PM

: Hello ladies! I'm back after moving and being offline for awhile. My kitchen is back in order though, and I am having great luck connecting with local sources for meat/milk/eggs/veggies. It will be nice to get caught up with what's going on here again.
#3 of 92 Old 11-01-2005, 05:14 PM

I'm just subscribing.

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#4 of 92 Old 11-01-2005, 06:06 PM

New to MDC, well relatively anyway. Can someone explain to me what this thread is about. I am looking for healthy food alternatives to the processed crap I have been eating for years. If this is where it's at, then I am game. If not can someone point me in the right direction.
#5 of 92 Old 11-01-2005, 08:22 PM

subbing....

here is a recipe I was just sent...

Lemon Vanilla Ice-cream
5 cups raw cream
4 eggs plus 2 egg yolks
1 to 1.25 cups honey
1 tbl vanilla or 1 vanilla bean split
zest of 1 lemon

Cook 1 cup cream with eggs and lemon zest until "pudding". Let cool to room temperature (better yet refrigerate until cold).
Combine with remaining ingredients - put in ice-cream maker. Yum! And Good For You Too!
#6 of 92 Old 11-01-2005, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecpalma93
New to MDC, well relatively anyway. Can someone explain to me what this thread is about. I am looking for healthy food alternatives to the processed crap I have been eating for years. If this is where it's at, then I am game. If not can someone point me in the right direction.
Welcome! You are definately in the right place in our opinion for healthy eating... many of us have found our health by eating the NT way.

NT is short for "Nourishing Traditions" a whole foods cookbook by Sally Fallon that is half recipes and half nutritional guidelines and research.
http://www.mercola.com/2003/mar/8/no...traditions.htm

It is based on research done in the 1930's by Weston Price, DDS:

http://www.mercola.com/2001/jan/21/weston_price.htm

http://www.westonaprice.org/traditio...ry_wisdom.html

Sally Fallon is the President of the Weston Price Foundation, which conducts nutritional research today and has an ENORMOUS website chock full with info:
http://www.westonaprice.org/sitemap.html

You can find a local chapter here: http://www.westonaprice.org/localcha...locallist.html

Email the chapter leader with questions about how to find local sources of organic foods, grass fed meats, pasteured eggs and raw dairy.

Personally I think the most important things which I have learned to incorporate into my eating every day is homemade bone broths and yogurt/kefir made from grass fed raw milk. And cod liver oil too. IMO, I would consider this the holy trinity of good nutrition, the biggest bang for your buck.

I consider learning about NT and WAPF to literally be a life changing experience. I understood nutrition was important, but I really didn't get how it is possible to build bodies that can be free of disease with the proper food.
#7 of 92 Old 11-01-2005, 10:57 PM

Wow. It's november already? I am already missing the farmer's markets around here not to mention my garden.
#8 of 92 Old 11-01-2005, 11:07 PM

Can any of you help me out with this?

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...27#post4039727

#9 of 92 Old 11-01-2005, 11:17 PM

I would like to try making the vanila frozen yogurt from the Oct. NT thread. The directions say to mix it all, then freeze in an ice cream maker. I don't have an ice cream maker, can I still make it?

A related question, can I make ice cream without an ICM?

Is yogurt cheese just yogurt with the whey drained off so that it's really thick?

thanks!
#10 of 92 Old 11-01-2005, 11:19 PM

Glad to see you are back, Hibou, I enjoy your posts!

Welcome ecpalma! Keep reading around here, and you'll learn more than you ever though possible!
#11 of 92 Old 11-01-2005, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy
Is yogurt cheese just yogurt with the whey drained off so that it's really thick?

thanks!

I can answer this one! Yougurt cheese is yogurt that has the whey drained off. I use a mason jar and a knee high. You let the whey drain off. It takes around 3 hours. If you want it drier let it hand longer. If you want it wetter, for use in a spread that needs to be creamy, then let it hang a little less.

Then you can use the whey too!

I LOVE yogurt cheese. I used it as a sour cream substitute tonight on my from scratch tacos!

#12 of 92 Old 11-02-2005, 12:15 AM

You can do it without an ice cream maker. Just freeze it in a big bowl and stir it every 30 minutes until it's the consistancy you want.
#13 of 92 Old 11-02-2005, 01:47 AM

Hey can you freeze whey??
#14 of 92 Old 11-02-2005, 02:29 AM

Hi Hibou, glad to see you back online!

Well, November starts for me with another week away from home. Dd and I are visiting my parents right now as my grandpa, who turned 75 yesterday, just had a 9 bypass surgery today. Things are still critical, so we're all praying for the best. Bloody stupid transfats and polyunsaturated oils. I'm a bit angry with the processed food industry and conventional nutrition advice today.

Anyway, I want to ask this here because I don't want to get into it on the main nutrition board, but have any of you used the low-carb version of Saving Dinner? I took it out of the library, but haven't been able to focus on reading it, and I wonder if it's any good? I guess I'll know in a couple days if I get around to reading it, but I wanted to know if anyone has tried it.
#15 of 92 Old 11-02-2005, 03:26 AM

Hey y'all! I don't post much on this board, but I read most of it! Anyway, I just wanted to report on a chicken liver experiment. I seem to remember someone asking whether or not to put it in the stock. Here's what I learned...

If you put a bunch of liver in your stock, the stock is ruined (assuming you don't like that liver flavor.)

BUT, if you put a little bit of liver in your stock, then the flavor isn't over-powering. And I also learned that if I cook the liver in the stock for 3 days, I can chop it very finely and add it to soup with no noticeable change in flavor to the soup. The texture was nice - sort of hard. I guess it's a matter of personal preference. But the flavor of the liver was so mellow that I could eat it no problem (in it's tiny form)

Then I did another experiment and added raw liver to my soup (I make the same soup all the time - it's wonderful!), chopped to the same fine texture, and cooked the liver in my soup - only for about an hour. Well, that came out inedible - yucky!! The flavor of the liver was intense and the texture was tender and had that "sticky" feeling on my teeth.

Now what I don't know is what the nutrient content is of the liver after it's been cooked for 3 days!

Well, that's the end of my chicken liver report!
#16 of 92 Old 11-02-2005, 04:09 PM

Still lookin' forward to our move-in day here, when I'll get back my kitchen. It's been six months. The first thing I'm going to do is make a very large pot of stock!

That is, if I can find some decent meat around here. That won't break the bank.

The second thing I'm going to do is break out all of my mason jars and make a load of kimchi (Korean sauerkraut). I saw the perfect cabbage at our local co-op today, and thinking of it made my mouth water.

Can I just brag a little bit? Even though I haven't had my kitchen in so long, I still have a source for the best kimchi ever. For the price of visiting my Korean grandmother (in which I don't speak Korean and she doesn't speak English, but we still love each other and enjoy the visit), I can get a jar of the best kimchi in the world. It's full of veggies grown on her garden plot, and authentic Korean fish sauce. Amazing! If only she lived closer!

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

#17 of 92 Old 11-02-2005, 04:21 PM

All right, so I think I will drain the whey off my yogurt, mix in the other ingredients, and try freezing the mixture in a big bowl, just stirring it until it's frozen to the consistency I want. Thank you for your help!

And, thanks Pilgrim, for the update on the chicken livers. I've been trying to make myself do something with the organs that come with my pastured chicken. I just can't seem to bring myself to cook and eat them! Seems so wasteful to just throw them out, so I've been either freezing them (in hopes that I will someday soon figure out what to do with them), or feeding them to the dog (she really enjoys them!).
#18 of 92 Old 11-03-2005, 02:13 PM

I can't find anyone that has even mentioned it! Maybe too many of your are too far away from DC to consider.

But is anyone else going?

I am holding out to register until tomorrow because I don't know if I am going Friday and Saturday or just Friday (all 3 days is not a possibility). It is a 2+ hour each way drive with gobs of traffic, so I don't know about 2 days in a row, and don't want to pay for hotel.

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone is going!
#19 of 92 Old 11-03-2005, 02:22 PM

Way to far from DC. I would love to hear about it after you go

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#20 of 92 Old 11-04-2005, 05:26 PM

HerthElde, sorry to hear about your grandpa. I hope for the best for you all.

welldone, I would love to hear how your grandma makes her kimchi. Any tips you can share?

gardenmommy, the family I get my milk from makes ice cream by whipping their cream, adding sweetener and vanilla or cocoa, and then freezing it. I have an icecream maker, so haven't tried it this way, but they say it works very nicely.

Anywho, I have a couple questions. First, I started making yogurt earlier in the week, and it was going to be 24 hr yogurt, but I sort of forgot about it sitting there quietly wrapped in it's heating pad, and it ended up being more like 36 hr. yogurt. It looks fine, but I haven't tasted it yet. Has anyone else done this? I'm assuming it's fine to eat, just more "cultured" but thought I'd ask here for input.

Also, I'm wondering about cocoa vs carob. Is one healthier than the other? Is there anything wrong with eating cocoa? How was it used traditionally?

Thought I'd add that I lent my NT cookbook to my folks, which I'm really excited about. My dad had a heart attack a couple of years ago, and my parents have since been bombarded with all the politically correct type diet stuff. They're very interested that I'm feeding my family whole milk and making butter and sauerkraut, cooking with fat, etc, so I think it will really appeal to them and I hope it will help them continue to improve their health. We are surrounded by relatives right now who are sick with diabetes, cancer, heart disease, etc., so it is very heartening that my parents have such an open-mindedness towards something that really could help them.
#21 of 92 Old 11-04-2005, 05:36 PM

forgot to add this question: If I mix flour and eggs as for pasta, and let it sit for a day or two in the fridge before I roll it out and cook it, would that be considered soaked-grain pasta?
#22 of 92 Old 11-04-2005, 07:23 PM

"Sweetbreads are neither sweet nor bread."

Talk amongst yourselves.

In other words, subbing to the thread...

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#23 of 92 Old 11-04-2005, 10:11 PM

anyone else frustrated with the lack of editing or whatever you call it in the NT cookbook? I go looking for something and it has the wrong page number or isn't accurate and I have had change several of the recipes but her directions aren't in depth enough or just didn't work for me....
#24 of 92 Old 11-04-2005, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibou
Anywho, I have a couple questions. First, I started making yogurt earlier in the week, and it was going to be 24 hr yogurt, but I sort of forgot about it sitting there quietly wrapped in it's heating pad, and it ended up being more like 36 hr. yogurt. It looks fine, but I haven't tasted it yet. Has anyone else done this? I'm assuming it's fine to eat, just more "cultured" but thought I'd ask here for input.

Also, I'm wondering about cocoa vs carob. Is one healthier than the other? Is there anything wrong with eating cocoa? How was it used traditionally?

Thought I'd add that I lent my NT cookbook to my folks, which I'm really excited about. My dad had a heart attack a couple of years ago, and my parents have since been bombarded with all the politically correct type diet stuff.
From the yogurt FAQs at the SCD diet site:
Quote:
4. What happens if I leave it in too long?
Up to 29 hours is fine, but after 30 hours, it starts to kill the good
bacteria. After 36 hours, it will not last as long in the refrigerator.
I think NT recommends carob over cocoa simply b/c it doesn't contain caffeine.

That's awesome re: your folks!! My parents have always been very healthy eaters but won't listen to me about fat & eggs. I still hold out hope. At least I got them to stop the Crisco and margarine a long time ago.
#25 of 92 Old 11-04-2005, 11:10 PM

Very interesting new article at WAPF:

Dioxins in Animal Foods: A Case for Vegetarianism?
http://www.westonaprice.org/envtoxins/dioxins.html

I'm not even halfway thru yet, it's a long one!
#26 of 92 Old 11-05-2005, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
"Sweetbreads are neither sweet nor bread."

Talk amongst yourselves.
Too funny!

I'm here too! Have been busy with our outdoor wood-fired bread oven. We also have wild turkeys that someone gave us for free (they had apparently been breeding on their own, and were hanging around someone's barn too much, so he wanted them gone). Had a nice visit with a cyclist from England on his world tour. I think that's about it.

welldone, Korean grandmas are the best! My grandma is Korean too, similar situation with language barriers. She makes the best changatchi.

HerthElde
#27 of 92 Old 11-05-2005, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A butter tip I heard: If you can't get/afford organic/raw butter, buy cheap unsalted regular butter, and whip in some yoghurt whey, and leave it out in a jar/crock to culture.

Just how long does cream or milk keep in the fridge? (Raw, I mean.) I found a jar I had labeled "sour milk" in there with no date, and a jar of cream that I think is about 2 or 3 weeks old (from the time of milking). It smells slightly cheesey, pretty much like cream I have left out to culture for butter.

For anyone interested in my ongoing butter-making problems... I'm finding that if I culture the cream by leaving it out, and then blender it at room temp, it doesn't form properly. I suspect that it is too warm (the blender also heats up quite a bit). I have had more luck culturing it, then chilling it again. I made interesting butter once, I put the cream out a few times to culture and get a bit warmer than fridge temp, but then had to put it back in the fridge because I was too busy to make it. So I think it cultured for a long time -- the cream was quite thick and strong-smelling by the time I used it for butter. The butter wasn't really smooth and creamy, and I ended up straining the buttermilk out with cheese cloth, since the butter wasn't really holding together very well. Then its texture was a lot like yoghurt cream cheese, kind of spongy almost, or crumbly, I can't quite describe it. But it had a nice flavour and melted in your mouth. I think if I try to make butter again (I have started buying from a farm that makes it), I will try using a hand mixer instead of my blender.

Anyone make egg nog? Non-alcoholic? I'm looking for a tasty, filling, "special" drink to replace our morning cocoa. It doesn't have to be warm, but that would be nice. We do sometimes make what the boys call "cinnamilk," just some milk with honey and cinnamon, warmed on the stove.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#28 of 92 Old 11-05-2005, 03:10 PM

I have never made egg nog but I know my mom has a recipe that is really good...

I love making butter but been a while since I have done so...we are drinking the cream in our coffee....hehe
#29 of 92 Old 11-05-2005, 04:47 PM

Mmmm...Brisen that cinnamilk sounds nice.

Okay, sorry about all the questions, but here's another (I've been offline and have had all these questions pop up, but I never wrote them down, so I'm just asking as they occur to me). We've been taking the Nordic Natural CLO, but it's about twice the price for half as much as is in the other bottles (Norwegian something or other is one I saw)... so of course I'm wondering if one really is any better the other or if I'm getting ripped off.
#30 of 92 Old 11-06-2005, 09:40 AM

Hi everyone, I am going to sub to this thread. I have just signed up for Susan Weed's Coreespodance Herbal course and one of the books I am getting is NT. I live in Ontario Canada and I can't seem to locate a source for raw milk (it is illegal to sell it here). Am I better off just using organic milk to make my butter and yogurt, or should I not use any pasterized dairy? Thanks for any info.
Warmly,
Sebrina

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page