Need some new ideas for Kombucha Squash.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-13-2005, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's also called a Japanese Pumpkin. Normally I just cut into big pieces and bake in the oven. Then we just put a little butter, maybe spike. But I would like do do something different.
Is it pretty interchangable with reg pumpkin? I have a recipie for curried pumpkin soup I would like to try and I have a squash already. Any ideas would be great!!!

Aloha

Lori
Momma to 5 : and one on the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 11-13-2005, 03:03 AM

Yum! This is my favorite pumpkin.

Sorry I do not have any ideas about making pumpkin soup.

This is how I prepare mine...

I wash and then cut the top off, replace and then steam. Then I throw the top away, scoop and throw seeds away. Peel. Then I mash it and put heavy cream, half and half or evaporated milk and brown sugar.

My mother makes custard with hers. She will cut the top and gut the seeds then pour custard into the hollow pumpkin and steam.

And lastly, I make pumpkin mochi. I serve the mochi with coconut milk and sugar.

Nancy
#3 of 5 Old 11-13-2005, 09:16 AM

I live in the land of kabocha, so I have used it a lot. I have used it in my curried pumpkin soup recipe and it is a family favorite--really yummy. I use Kabocha pretty much in place of pumpkin. In recipes that call for canned pumpkin, I actually peel it, cut it in chunks, and then steam/boil it in the microwave until it is soft and then I mash it it up and use a bit of the left over water to add to make it the consistency/wetness of how I remember mashed pumpkin.

A quicky recipe that my toddler likes is this. Don't peel it, but thin slice it into halfmoons. Steam it until you can insert a fork easily but it is still firm. Make a dressing of about say 1 part soy sauce to 2 parts rice vinegar. Pour it over the kabocha in a dish, and sprinkle with sesame seeds. A great finger food and actually tastes best at room temperature.
#4 of 5 Old 11-13-2005, 12:18 PM
cjr

I got one of these in my organic box on Friday. Can someone post the curried pumpkin soup recipie?
#5 of 5 Old 11-13-2005, 09:32 PM

I too love kabocha. I put it in veggie soup and its yum. A friend of mine mashes it up, add some parmesan cheese and use it for filling for dumplings/gyoza. Yum! I need to make some.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page