NT December Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 156 Old 12-13-2005, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gale Force, I am so ready to start the Maker's Diet right now, but it is impossible to do anything right now! Everytime I turn around someone else is giving us cookies, candy, cake, caramel popcorn, fudge, etc. Plus, we have so many parties or events (all eat-at things, of course), that it's reallyl frustrating.

I can see the negative effects on my poor children, too. My son has circles under his eyes, and ds and dd both have recently complained of their stomach hurting. I just keep reminding them that that's what junk food does to our bodies. My phrase is "God-made food for God-made bodies". They will readily tell dh and I what causes them to feel so badly. I am glad they have made the connection so early in their lives!

I am working really hard on not feeling badly when I throw stuff away. It is deeply ingrained in me not to throw food away; I am trying to reframe my definition of "food", to not include items made with white flour, sugar, dyes, etc. In fact, I'm going to throw away a box of candy canes, just to keep my children from eating any more (we had them to illustrate the story of the candy cane for church this week)

Holiztic: I get the riot act about using "too much" butter every time I see my in-laws. My MIL is horrified that I actually use *GASP* coconut oil in my baking and cooking.

Hibou: I, too, feel better when I can get outside for exercise. I try to get out everyday, if only for 30 min. It helps that I have a dog and 3 horses to care for!
#62 of 156 Old 12-13-2005, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

gardenmommy -- I suppose people have discovered how wierd I am because the number of Christmas goodies have declined over the years. My aunt and uncle will arrive next week, likely with some homemade cookies. I'll have to get through that. Than we go to the ILs who also think we are freaks for the number of eggs we eat. They visited us here last year and I fed them NT food. I don't think they noticed. I made no issue of it.

I enjoyed reading the Maker's Diet. He doesn't provide a link to all the supplements he recommends, but the diet discussion itself is interesting.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#63 of 156 Old 12-13-2005, 05:47 PM

I pre ordered Jordan Rueban's new book..I can't wait to get it. I enjoyed the maker's diet too and it got dh thinking about thinks. as a christian i didn't follow some of his biblical basis for his diet but agreed mostly anyhow. (kind of like ezekial bread..the verse has nothing ot do with bread or is at least taken out of context) I haven't done the 40 day diet but would like too. My hardest part was the availability to find foods. My kids are also off dairy right now for allergy/health issues. That has been really hard.
#64 of 156 Old 12-13-2005, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy

I am working really hard on not feeling badly when I throw stuff away. It is deeply ingrained in me not to throw food away; I am trying to reframe my definition of "food", to not include items made with white flour, sugar, dyes, etc.

Last year after we had been NT for awhile, I went through the cupboards and pitched tons of stuff. I warned DH that I was going to do this and told him that if he wanted to save anything, he had to take it out of the house, to work or something. It took a lot of effort to just throw away the garbage food and not feel guilty or like I was being wasteful. I felt like, we've spent money on this food, shouldn't we use it up somehow?

Question for those of you who eat cheese: what kind of raw cheeses do you eat? Just curious. We eat cheddar, swiss, gjetost (norwegian whey cheese...mmmm), some sort of italian cheese like mozzarella that I can't remember the name of right now. I really like feta but I don't know where to find raw feta. Anyways, looking to branch out and try new things. I stock up when we go to the city.
#65 of 156 Old 12-13-2005, 08:03 PM

nourishingmeadows.com has raw grassfed feta. Their cheese is very yummy. Shipping is 11 dollars no matter how much you order if you order it through mercola.com. Ordered through the site it was only a little higher. If you order 100 dollars worth you get a free lb. I order about 3 months worth of cheese at a time. I get the value packs because that is a little cheaper too. The stores in my area have no grass fed raw cheese and very little organic so ordering was our only option. I get the cheddar ,mozzarella, and pepper jack usually. We really love it.
#66 of 156 Old 12-13-2005, 11:36 PM

I give a "thumbs down" to the Maker's Diet.

I really didn't learn much from it at all. His beginning diet is like the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, then eating like NT.

Most of his recipes are reprinted from NT and that irked me.

I think the only thing that is different about his approach is that he hawks his overpriced supplements as the main reason why he healed (he said just eating SCD and NT didn't work).

And then he doesn't go into the science behind his supplements: HSO's which I dearly would like to know more details about and digestive enzymes and whatever other products he hinted at throughout the book.

Felt like one big commercial to me.
#67 of 156 Old 12-13-2005, 11:43 PM

Cheese

We get cheddar both sharp and mild, Italian Grace (like parmesan) and chive from our local farm co-op

And Wilderness Family Naturals centrifuged coconut oil that I just tried and I think it's BETTER than Tropical Traditions, for $15/qt Just had to brag

I also like Organic Valley's raw cheese but know I read that it's not really raw:
http://organicvalley.coop/utility/fa...heese_faq.html

I also don't know if they are pasture fed... at one point I thought I read that their milk was
#68 of 156 Old 12-14-2005, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
I think the only thing that is different about his approach is that he hawks his overpriced supplements as the main reason why he healed (he said just eating SCD and NT didn't work).

And then he doesn't go into the science behind his supplements: HSO's which I dearly would like to know more details about and digestive enzymes and whatever other products he hinted at throughout the book.
I agree with you Jane. I still enjoyed reading the book. The chapter on digestion was interesting.

I don't remember him saying that a traditional diet didn't work, just that the HSOs took him to a whole new level. And that's just it -- how are they and the other supplements part of "The Maker's Diet"? He didn't make that argument well. We are all needing to be healed from what we have done to ourselves, so there is an argument to be made, but I don't remember him making a compelling one.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#69 of 156 Old 12-14-2005, 01:05 AM

I listened to a seminar about The Makers Diet and I thought he was so full of it. You pay for his book and then you have to pay again to join his club thing to find out stuff. All he does is try to sell you stuff.
#70 of 156 Old 12-14-2005, 02:58 AM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
DH and I are about to embark on our NT adventure, so I'm :

The hardest thing for me (right now) is the availability of good food. I'm a good 45 minute drive from nearest health food store with raw milk or hormone-free meat, so I've almost resigned myself to permanently ordering frozen organic grass-fed beef from Lasater Ranch and frozen raw milk products from Organic Pastures. Shipping on raw milk makes it almost $16 a gallon. Gulp.

I'm trying to figure out kefir (if you see my kefir 911 post, please help), and I noticed that a couple of you mention kefir and apple juice and ginger kefir. Can you tell me more about these?

If you could recommend a book or two to accompany NT, what would they be?
#71 of 156 Old 12-14-2005, 04:28 AM

I have to agree about those parts in the Maker's Diet. But I still think it's a good book, even just to read about his amazing story. Anyone who has been real sick before can relate and be inspired by his healing.
And, hey, who knows if he really truly believes in his supplements and just wants to get that info out there for everyone.
I also like books with meal plans written out for ideas.
#72 of 156 Old 12-14-2005, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomInFlux
The hardest thing for me (right now) is the availability of good food. I'm a good 45 minute drive from nearest health food store with raw milk or hormone-free meat, so I've almost resigned myself to permanently ordering frozen organic grass-fed beef from Lasater Ranch and frozen raw milk products from Organic Pastures. Shipping on raw milk makes it almost $16 a gallon. Gulp.
We are near Organic Pastures and it retails here for $7/half gallon. At Whole Foods in Fresno, the home town of Organic Pastures, it's $8/ half gallon. So while $16/gallon is obscene, that's what a lot of people are paying for it fresh here. Those lots of people don't often include me. i considered ordering from lasater Ranch (and a few others) but we were able to buy a grassfed steer locally and are now up to our eyeballs in beef.

I'll look for the kefir post

#73 of 156 Old 12-14-2005, 05:11 PM

Quote:

I'm trying to figure out kefir (if you see my kefir 911 post, please help), and I noticed that a couple of you mention kefir and apple juice and ginger kefir. Can you tell me more about these?

I highly recommend Wild Fermentation if you plan to do much of the cultured/fermented stuff. He does a great job explaining kefir too, and the wonderful things you can do with it. Is that the second time I've recommended this book on this thread? Also, you could check out Dom's

Basically, you can "kefir" any liquid food/beverage by putting in the grains and leaving it sit for a day or 3. To do apple juice (my kids love it) I fill a 250 ml jar with apple juice, add a small kefir grain, and let it sit for about 24 hrs. on the counter, covered with a cloth. I only do 250 mls at a time because the kids don't like it too strong, so I make fresh stuff every day or 2. After the first day, it's effervescent and sweet, but after 2 or 3 days it starts to get stronger, more like wine. After the kids finish it, I add more juice, leaving the grains at the bottom of the jar. I wash the jar ever couple weeks or so. Hope that made sense!
#74 of 156 Old 12-14-2005, 06:10 PM

Quote:
The Garden of Eating Diet, http://www.thegardenofeatingdiet.com

and of course, the original classic Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Dr. Price.

You can read lots of stuff for free over at the SoilandHealth online library:
http://www.soilandhealth.org -- check in their nutrition/health library.
#75 of 156 Old 12-14-2005, 06:27 PM

I am just getting into Wild Fermentation right now and am SO ready to finally get started fermenting in the new year. I bought my mom a 7.5 liter crock for Xmas and know I'll be going over to use it/share in her fermentations. But I am going to really want one for my home. Man they are expensive!!!! Anyone have luck with just using glass jars? Is the crock worth the money if one can afford it (we can, we just don't like spending money!)? To those who use jars, would you buy a crock or two if you had the extra money or do you use jars because you prefer them?

Thanks for any input!
#76 of 156 Old 12-14-2005, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybirds2
I have to agree about those parts in the Maker's Diet. But I still think it's a good book, even just to read about his amazing story. Anyone who has been real sick before can relate and be inspired by his healing.
And, hey, who knows if he really truly believes in his supplements and just wants to get that info out there for everyone.
That's true, his story is pretty amazing, I do give him a lot of credit for healing himself. But he should have presented the science IMO. I have no problem from him earning a living, I think he should just work harder at it, advancing the body of knowledge for everyone.

He wrote an article for WAPF too:
http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndi...ivehealth.html
Last I looked I couldn't find Linda Kim's study on HSO's.

For anyone interested in a great description of the digestive system and leaky gut get one of Karen DeFelice's books (they are both essentially the same)
www.enzymestuff.com
#77 of 156 Old 12-14-2005, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibou
Basically, you can "kefir" any liquid food/beverage by putting in the grains and leaving it sit for a day or 3. To do apple juice (my kids love it) I fill a 250 ml jar with apple juice, add a small kefir grain, and let it sit for about 24 hrs. on the counter, covered with a cloth. I only do 250 mls at a time because the kids don't like it too strong, so I make fresh stuff every day or 2. After the first day, it's effervescent and sweet, but after 2 or 3 days it starts to get stronger, more like wine. After the kids finish it, I add more juice, leaving the grains at the bottom of the jar. I wash the jar ever couple weeks or so. Hope that made sense!
Oooooh, that's an awesome idea, thank you! I need to dig out the grains that have been sitting at the back of my fridge.

I cannot stomach milk kefir right now, don't know why, I'm just on a yogurt kick lately. Used to be totally the opposite, which is funny.
#78 of 156 Old 12-15-2005, 02:13 AM

I'd be very interested to see that study on HSO's as well. Not that it would matter for me anyway...I'm no good at supplements. I'll stick to the fermented foods and drinks for now.
#79 of 156 Old 12-15-2005, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
That's true, his story is pretty amazing, I do give him a lot of credit for healing himself. But he should have presented the science IMO. I have no problem from him earning a living, I think he should just work harder at it, advancing the body of knowledge for everyone.

yeah I agree..I got an email from them (I am on their email list) and they were promoting their new Flu/winter product...I would have thought it was an allopathic advertisement..it was all scaretactics..I emailed them back and told them how discusted I was.
#80 of 156 Old 12-15-2005, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just popping in... haven't been keeping up with this thread. I feel guilty with all of the holiday indulging I am planning... lol, I'll be back, meek and penitent, in January.

In the meantime, I'm looking for something quick and online about milk homogenization being bad. It is for FIL, dh was talking with him about raw milk, and fil said he always thought it did somwthing bad to the milk, but didn't know what. He grew up on a farm, drinking tons of raw dairy, and he said they were always strong and healthy and slim. They have actually purchased raw milk when they had a chance to (he's not a farmer, but live in a very dairy area).

So if anyone has anything bookmarked, I would love to see it

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#81 of 156 Old 12-15-2005, 03:31 PM

Yes, I can see the problems with the Maker's diet book. It bothered me that the products are pushed at the expense of the science. I was left wanting more depth and "meat", so to speak. I wanted "this is why the program works, here is the data and science behind the recommendations". That said, I do know several people who have followed the program (not sure if they used all the supplements) who have had tremendous success. They have lost weight (and kept it off), changed their eating habits, and cleaned up their lifestyle.

Personally, I use several of his products with very good results. I notice a big difference when I take them faithfully.

Really, the main thing I am wanting to do is follow the plan to get out of the rut I am in; I want to use it to jumpstart myself into some better eating habits. It's not the end-all, be-all, but it is a tool.

About the raw dairy: I grew up with raw milk, cream, and butter. I was rarely sick, and to this day, my brother's and I are among the healthiest people I know.
#82 of 156 Old 12-15-2005, 03:55 PM

brisen..is there any info at www.notmilk.com ??

gardenmommy, I too use some on his products and like them. I just don't care for the barrage(sp) of panic emails...lol
#83 of 156 Old 12-15-2005, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

gardenmommy -- I think it's a great book for that purpose. Good luck getting back on track. It fells could to have a handle on things and to be building health.

#84 of 156 Old 12-15-2005, 06:53 PM

Hey ladies... Can I get a little help from the more experienced NT mammas???

There is a thread about soy milk for toddler (Title "Now my DS can't drink soy milk") in the general Nutrition and Good Eating Forum and would love some mammas with more info to jump on in. I posted a few links but don't have much more to say (other than personal experience for me, no toddler involved)

If anyone wants to wander over.....Thanks!
#85 of 156 Old 12-15-2005, 07:07 PM

I tend to stay away from the soymilk debate but I will check it out none the less.

FYI, for the Alberta Moms. A friend of mine is starting up a Weston Price Chapter here in Calgary. In the new year once the holiday season is done, she plans to call a meeting. I know of 5 IRL NT followers but those online ( CJR) if you want I can pass on the info about the meetings to you as well. Let me know!
#86 of 156 Old 12-15-2005, 11:27 PM
Bia

http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyour...enization.html

"During homogenization there is a tremendous increase in surface area on the fat globules. The original fat globule membrane is lost and a new one is formed that incorporates a much greater portion of casein and whey proteins.13 This may account for the increased allergenicity of modern processed milk."

This is the last sentence in the article. I've never read this article before... I thought Oster's theory was more solid than that. hmmmm.

http://www.price-pottenger.org/health_tips.htm
#87 of 156 Old 12-15-2005, 11:43 PM

Maybe you can help me here.

Do I use millet and quinoa flour like I would use white flour?

If I have a recipe and am subbing stevia for sugar how do I make up the filler and texture.

HELP! I want to make some sort of xmas cookie or snack that is still "good" for me or something.

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#88 of 156 Old 12-16-2005, 12:46 AM

Hey there! We are a NT family for the most part. We do eat out every now and then and eat at relatives houses alot. BUt at home we do what we can. Luckily we have good milk and eggs close by. Webrought the kiddos to our milk farm over the summer which was great.
Anyways, with the holidays approaching...
I am looking for a health cookie cutter recipe. I have a bunch of recipes that are basically sugar, butter and flour. So if I use Rapidura for sugar, what can do for soaking the flour without spoiling the recipe? Any ideas would be helpful. TIA~
#89 of 156 Old 12-17-2005, 04:36 AM

A lot of recipes in NT use wine in them. Thing is, dh is allergic to sulfites (which basically all wine has to some extent) and it gives me killer migraines. Is there a good substitute for it that anyone knows of?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#90 of 156 Old 12-17-2005, 04:37 AM

I used to make grape juice kefir that I made out of converted milk grains. It worked very well as a substitute for wine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page