NT December Thread - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 156 Old 12-31-2005, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinEmily

I make chicken broth in my crockpot before Christmas. It has been sitting in my fridge ever since. Do you think it's OK still?
Did your stock seal itself with a nice layer of fat on the top when it cooled? If so, it's probably fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 156 Old 12-31-2005, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
I just don't feel right about eating pig. Its not based on anything but intuition really. Just feels off.
I have gone back and forth about pork. One of the (probably not very rational) reasons I hesitate to eat it is how intelligent pigs are. Probably the same kind of reasons that people are put off by eating dog or horse. And while I think all animal cruelty is cruel, I have a feeling that a pig feels the confinement more keenly than a cow or a chicken. I hope that doesn't come across like I think it's ok to confine and maltreat animals more the less intelligent they are, it's just that it gives greater depth to their suffering.

On the other hand, I think of how helpful a pig would be on a farm and how good lard is supposed to be for you... if I had a small farm, a pig would be very helpful. (Of course, we could have a pig or two without eating them... people keep working dogs on their farms without eating them when they have outlived their usefulness.)

I also have heard/read that a lot of the "gross" behaviours that you read about pigs (eating each others' waste, for instance) is a result of animals being confined, but it is seen as the "norm." And those "gross" behaviours don't happen when pigs are in a more natural environment.

About the only pork I've been eating lately is on the occasional restaurant pizza I've eaten and organic/free range/natural sausages (haven't had them in quite a while). I've been using a lot of lard, though.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#153 of 156 Old 12-31-2005, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mmmmmm, borscht. (Is that the right spelling?)

I recently opened a jar of fermented beets. I made them using Wild Fermentation as a guide. I peeled raw beets and cut them into the smallest pieces I had the patience for -- on average, about the size of a nickel. Packed them in brine (either 2 or 3 tsp salt per litre of water? I must have it written down somewhere, I don't have the book with me any more) with a few cloves. I tried a jar after about a month -- the beets were still very hard (just the same as raw beets) and very salty. I opened another jar (I transferred all of my jars to cool storage after about 3 wks in a warm cupboard) about 3 months after "canning" it, and the beets were softer and less salty. I also have jars of saurkraut that I make using the 4 tsp of salt per shredded head of cabbage packed in a quart sized mason jar method I have mentioned. So, I took some very thick (reduced) beef stock and cooked carrots and potatoes in it. I added some seasonings at the end -- salt, pepper, thyme, marjoram, and parsley. After turning off the heat, I added some beets (no brine) and saurkraut. I'm not sure about proportions -- a bit more than a litre (quart) of stock, 2 med/large carrots, and 3 med potatoes. Maybe 1 c. of the beets, and 1/2 cup or so of saurkraut. It was very tasty. I would have added leftover beef roast, but it had been in the fridge too long. I didn't need to add the salt, the l-f veggies were salty enough. I added week-old cream (starting to taste sour) in my bowl. Yum.

For dessert, I'm making chocolate mousse. Not really an NT recipe, except I'm using good cream. I melted semi sweet chocolate chips (2 c.) then added 2 c. of cream, stirring it all up until it was smooth. I had put 2 large eggs and a bit of vanilla in my blender. I added the cream mixture to the blender and blended for about 3 mins. It is setting in the fridge now. I'm thinking you could make something like maple mousse if you want to avoid the chocolate (and the bother of melting it), or use cocoa powder, butter, and sweetener to substitue for the choc chips.

I also might make molasses popcorn tonight.

I recently made what I think is farmer's cheese or poor man's cheese. I took a half gallon of raw milk and put it in a glass bowl with a plate on top. I left it in a warm spot (my over the range microwave with the stove light on -- it gets quite warm) for a day or two (hmmm, I think I started the milk on Thurs, maybe afternoon, and finished it up Sat afternoon). It was pretty much like my yogurt. Not terribly thick, but firm nonetheless. I drained it and ended up getting it about half whey and half cheese (by volume). I tasted a bit of the cheese -- it is fairly bland. Milder than yoghurt cheese, more like store cream cheese. My kids hate yoghurt cream cheese, so this is good for us. A friend brought me some goat cheese -- it was a cheese log with cranberries all around it. So very yummy. I think I could make something similar with this cheese.

I also have a good lentil recipe, I will post it later.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#154 of 156 Old 01-03-2006, 11:26 PM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
So I know it's January, but I didn't see a January NT thread, and I'm not enough of a seasoned NT-er to start one. Besides, I have more questions, and I feel guilty :

Saturday evening I felt brave and made 2 things out of the NT cookbook: beet kvass and ginger carrots. I made them exactly by the recipe - with sea salt and whey. I just tried them, and they're SO salty. I think I could get used to the taste (of the carrots, anyway, I'm still considering the beet kvass). If I let them age in the refrigerator, will the saltiness mellow? Or is there a way to make either of them with less salt? Seriously, they are so salty they are unedible/undrinkable.
#155 of 156 Old 01-04-2006, 12:56 AM

#156 of 156 Old 01-04-2006, 02:43 AM

Keep it in the fridge another week, then try it again. Next time use just 1 teaspoon, it won't taste so salty. That's what I do anyway.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page