I have a kefir 9-1-1 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-14-2005, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let me first establish that I have no idea what I'm doing :

I decided that I should start making kefir. So I bought some kefir grains (on eBay - is that OK?) along with a couple of half-gallon mason jars. I understood that I should rinse the grains in filtered water when they arrived, then pour raw milk over them and let them do their thing. So far so good. While the kefir grains were in transit, I went to my local (not so local, actually) health food store to buy Organic Pastures raw milk. They're out. They are my only source, so I'm going to have to start ordering the milk shipped frozen. Anywhoo...so the grains arrived today, but I have no milk. So what do I do with them until I get milk? Leave them in the water? Strain them? (and then what?) ANY advice is welcome!

Really, ANY advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2005, 04:00 AM

Sorry don't know what to do w/ the grains. I know w/ yogurt live cultures you are to keep them cold (fridge). I saw that you are in SoCal. Where? I am as well. I havent posted in a long time so I'm sure my profile/siggy is so wrong, but Henry's market carries raw milk as well. I moved to the IE last year and now there are 2 near me. 1 in corona and 1 (new ) in Rancho Cucamonga.

Just a thought
Old 12-14-2005, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

I'm in Lake Arrowhead, and my nearest health food store is Clark's Nutritional Center in Loma Linda. Thanks for the tip about Henry's. I may have to drive through Corona on my way to the OC next week, so maybe I can stop on my way home - thanks!
Old 12-14-2005, 05:23 AM

I would just go to your nearest grocery store and get some past. whole milk for now. I alternated all the time between raw and past. when I was using my kefir. In the meantime...hmm..maybe just put it in a glass jar in the fridge. Not too sure about putting it in water. You'll find that kefir grains are pretty resilient though, don't be scared.

good luck!
Old 12-14-2005, 01:42 PM

I use pasteurized milk from Trader Joe's for much of my kefir. Raw milk is definitely best, but any milk will help keep those grains alive until the gold standard of milk arrives.

I have a friend from high school who lives in Lake Arrowhead. She and her husband just partnered with some people to buy a ski resort somewhere in that area -- a Christian ski resort. And I thought I was busy.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 12-16-2005, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter

I am SO not getting it

I thought the kefir was supposed to sit at room temperature, which makes sense when you're using raw milk. If I use regular ol' pasturized organic milk, I'd have to keep it in the fridge, right?

Also, here's what I bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/LIVE-ORGANICALLY...QQcmdZViewItem It says that I bought kefir grains and "starter". I suspect I washed away the "starter" when I put the grains in water when they got here. Does this mean anything? What is the "starter". If I only have the grains, am I out of luck? Should I give up and start over?

Thanks for all your help, ladies!

Amanda - I can imagine owning a ski resort would be crazy. But exactly how does one have a Christian ski resort?
Old 12-18-2005, 03:12 PM

The grains are the key, so don't worry about what you washed away. You follow the same instructions with pasteurized milk> It's all OK. Put them in a jar and put milk over them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomInFlux
Amanda - I can imagine owning a ski resort would be crazy. But exactly how does one have a Christian ski resort?
That was my question too. They purchased it from Calvary Chapel or some such place that has retreat centers in the area. Part of the deal is that they run it as a Christian resort. i don't think they are checking ID cards or anything but they will not allow drinking and swearing I think. This was an education for me because I didn't know how much people apparently drink when they ski. That seems odd but that's apparently the biggest issue. I have never stepped foot in a ski resort so I am woefully uneducated.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 12-18-2005, 10:44 PM

It's okay to use pasturized milk (raw is best, of course) if you have to because the kefir grains "reanimate" the milk with beneficial bacteria.

Putting them in the fridge (in 1 cup milk, changing it every week or two) simply puts them to sleep... You can "wake them up" when you want to make more kefir.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the hand-holding, ladies! I lucked out on Sunday and found Organic Pastures raw milk in stock at my local HFS (a mere $6.89/half gallon!*). So my kefir grains are now happily soaking/fermenting in raw milk. Whew!

*no snark here. My local grocery sells organic whole milk at $4.59/half gallon, so $6.89/half gallon for raw doesn't make me short of breath
Old 12-21-2005, 07:12 PM

Brenda,

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they have "cream top" milk -- organic, pasteurized, but not homogenized for about $5.50/gallon. The Organic Pastures milk is far superior in my opinion in terms of taste (for kefir or otherwise), but at nearly triple the cost, we reach our limit pretty darned quickly.

Amanda

Old 12-22-2005, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomInFlux

*no snark here. My local grocery sells organic whole milk at $4.59/half gallon, so $6.89/half gallon for raw doesn't make me short of breath
Oh my, I feel so incredibly lucky after reading this. I thought it was bad we were paying $2.79 for a half gallon of organic pasteurized, not homogonized. And we can also get a WHOLE gallon of raw milk directly from the organic farm for $4. Maybe being in WI does have it's advantages despite the winters, lol. I'm at those prices you have to pay!

read.gif mama to 2 dust.gifhomeschool.giftreehugger.gifsaynovax.gifRainbow.gif

User Tag List