Looking for Kombucha... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-19-2005, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never had Kombucha before, but I've been doing Nourishing Traditions for over a year now and would like to try Kombucha. Does anyone have a "mushroom to share or know of a place I can find one?

Also, how does it taste? Do you drink it every day and like it?

Kombucha is okay to drink while nursing, right?

Thanks!
#2 of 9 Old 12-20-2005, 09:47 PM

They have Kombucha at the local veggie dinner down the road and we also sell it where I work...www.metropoliscoffee.net. It is yummy and tastes like twigs I think you can get prepackaged tea at any health food store
Good Luck

darkstar
#3 of 9 Old 12-29-2005, 12:43 AM

mmmmm luv it...especially the G.T's GingerBerry flavor from Henrys...I buy it at whole foods and it tastes flat then over at Henrys and its bubbly and sooo good

I cant describe the taste...it tastes like nothing else I've had before. I definitely notice the positive effects on my well being

I'm also looking to get started making my own

dust.gif
#4 of 9 Old 12-29-2005, 12:49 AM

There are some specific forums on the net dedicated to sharing Kombucha mushrooms. If you can find a RAW Kombucha tea somewhere there is a slight chance there might be a mushroom sliver in it. (It can not be pasturized in any way)

I personally do not like the bottled Kombucha but prefer fresh. It should taste a little like sweet bubbly vinegar. Very yummy!
#5 of 9 Old 12-30-2005, 01:36 AM

This is one of my new year's resolutions... to get Kombucha.

Whole Foods has it...where? it's not pasteurized?

I've been thinking of ordering it from here:
http://www.gemcultures.com/
#6 of 9 Old 12-30-2005, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
This is one of my new year's resolutions... to get Kombucha.

Whole Foods has it...where? it's not pasteurized?

I've been thinking of ordering it from here:
http://www.gemcultures.com/

Looks like a pretty good link to me for the "mushroom" although it says the prices were last updated in 2003?! I have yet to find any raw non-pasteurized Kombucha at Whole Foods. (In fact I have even had to call the dairy section to remind them to order raw dairy products!) I usually have to drive down to Santa Cruz (30 miles away) for my Kombucha.
#7 of 9 Old 12-30-2005, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danae
There are some specific forums on the net dedicated to sharing Kombucha mushrooms. If you can find a RAW Kombucha tea somewhere there is a slight chance there might be a mushroom sliver in it. (It can not be pasturized in any way)

I personally do not like the bottled Kombucha but prefer fresh. It should taste a little like sweet bubbly vinegar. Very yummy!

The ones I buy...G.T's, yes they are raw and organic at Whole Foods where they have all the naked juices and small size waters, near the deli in our W.F's
many of the bottles I buy have the big floaties in them (i prefer these ones ) and I was wondering if I could use that to strart my own!?!

dust.gif
#8 of 9 Old 12-30-2005, 09:13 PM

I brewed my own Kombucha for a couple of years. Used to get a raw mushroom from a friend who has been doing it for ages.

I did a lot of research at the time and decided, after all my reading, that it was NOT safe to drink in large quantities while nursing. By large quantities, I mean twice (or more) daily.

The commercial stuff that you buy doesn't seem to be as potent. Home-brewed kombucha is powerful stuff. The first couple of weeks I drank it I was feeling light-headed from time to time, but very well and full of energy. The only downside to making your own is that it can be quite time-consuming, if you are making large batches.
#9 of 9 Old 02-06-2006, 11:15 PM

I just got a Kumbucha starter from my parents. So I will have babies shortlly. Yeah.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page