Jan NT Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-10-2006, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a productive day today. I made butter, pate, froze my chicken stock, cooked a roast and froze the drippings, and also made my laundry soap and got a bunch of housecleaning done, plus went hiking in the woods with the kids for an hour. I wish every day was so productive! Dh finished the Master Cleanse yesterday. He did great- stuck it out for the full 10 days. I am so proud of him. I have so much control over what the kids and I eat, but have always tried not to nag him too much about his own health/diet, even though it worries me sometimes. I am glad that he is taking his health into his own hands.

For those of you who have voiced interest, I will try to post a sample weekly menu plan in the "mindful home management" forum when I get a little extra time (may not be for a day or two though). I will post a link when I get around to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2006, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibou
Dh finished the Master Cleanse yesterday. He did great- stuck it out for the full 10 days. I am so proud of him.
Please forgive me if this is something I should already know, but what is the Master Cleanse?
Old 01-10-2006, 12:25 AM

I am on day two of the 40 day plan. It is going ok. I'm having lots of trouble with no grains. This is very hard for me. I am craving those carbs! Although, I'm eating lots more fresh veggies, so I'm sure that's got to be a good thing.

The no-sugar thing is getting to me, too. I modified a suggestion from the book and put a small amount of honey (less than 1 T) on frozen blueberries (probably at least 1 cup). Mmmm, seems to kill the sweet craving. Maybe it's just that my mouth is frozen by the time I'm done eating them, and it can't think about eating anything else for a long time!

Hibou, that is great about your husband! How is he feeling after doing that cleanse? Has it made a significant difference in his weight, energy level, mood, etc.? I'd love for my Dh to do something similar. Heck, *I'd* like to do something like that, but need to wait until I'm no longer pregnant or nursing.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toraji
One of the more interesting (or disgusting) things about the trip was seeing how regular America eats...the girl across the way from me made herself a sandwich which consisted of: white bread, slathering of Miracle Whip, and a slice of American cheese, along with Cheez Nips and washed down with an Ocean Spray "juice" drink. Holy cow!
We visited some friends with a child our age who feeds her little hot dogs filled with cheese. Microwaved, just in case they weren't bad enough already. They are doctors.

I had a piece or two of white bread in the last few weeks and I had Miracle Whip. : As far as I know I managed to avoid the American cheese and the Cheez Nips.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 01-10-2006, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy
I am on day two of the 40 day plan. It is going ok. I'm having lots of trouble with no grains. This is very hard for me. I am craving those carbs! Although, I'm eating lots more fresh veggies, so I'm sure that's got to be a good thing.

The no-sugar thing is getting to me, too. I modified a suggestion from the book and put a small amount of honey (less than 1 T) on frozen blueberries (probably at least 1 cup). Mmmm, seems to kill the sweet craving. Maybe it's just that my mouth is frozen by the time I'm done eating them, and it can't think about eating anything else for a long time!
This is very hard. I did it and it just about killed me, but I am pretty much grain free here at home. What has helped me with sugar cravings is a kefir or yogurt smoothie with some fruit and sweetened with stevia.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 01-10-2006, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidentMama
CLO is effective in preventing depression? I really need to research this!!!! (and buy a bottle!--I understand that the Norweigan CLO is supposed to be the best? Why?).
Yes, it's been therapeutic for depression. If you would like to read on it, the best discussion is the book Omega Connection by Andrew Stohl. It is essentially a literature review of the research on Omega 3 fatty acids and depression. He recommends fish oil because of the controversy over Vit A and CLO, but I take CLO. He dances around making a particular dosage recommendation, I expect to keep the FDA off of his tail, but he states that 4 grams of EPA (one of the fatty acids in Omega 3) has been used in many studies and that eskimos ate over 10 grams. He also emphasizes that no studies have been done on women pregnant or BFing. He has an interesting chapter on PPD in which he discusses the need for DHA as well (another component) because of the fetus/newborn need for it. I take Nordic Naturals.

Old 01-10-2006, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
For depression, is anyone trying Cell Salts? They really really help too.
Do you know how the practitioner determines deficiency? This is interesting.

Old 01-10-2006, 03:02 AM

Through Iridology and symptom presentation. I am a Herbalist and I use this technique in my practice so its not just limited to homeopathic practitioners.

Its pretty easy to determine a deficiency. The descriptions for each specific cell salt are quite in depth.

Just using the combination of all 12 in one supplement (BIO-XII by Hylands for example) will bring a healing on a maintenance level.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:23 PM

gale force, i had no idea how challenging it would be to go grain-free! it is so hard! we are having smoothies this morning, so hopefully that will help. it doesn't help i am fighting off a virus passed by my friend's children, no doubt we were susceptible because of our sugsr intake.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:27 PM

Hey Hibou, yep, I'm sort of back - did you get my email?
Mountain nom, I'm due sometime between the 30th of Jan and 4th of Feb - my mw will consider me term for homebirth on Saturday, so I'm just hoping to make it that long.
We've fallen off the NT wagon pretty bad here and we've all ended up with a nasty cold - mine's basically turned into a keep-me-up-at-night cough, and dd still seems a bit under the weather, but mostly better - she's 2 today! Where does the time go?! Anyway, as soon as she came down with it, I disallowed all sugar for her, but I had been pretty lax over the holidays about it, which is, I'm sure, part of why she got sick.
Seeing how the inlaws eat, though, even though it would be considered pretty conventionally healthy, really started making me feel guilty about the amount of crappy foods I've been eating lately. So now I'm back to cooking NT foods and such - eventually I hope to go no-grain, pretty much to follow Garden of Eating, but it seems it would be soooooo expensive!
Oh, an update on my grandpa that had the bypass surgery - he's doing fine. Still has a regular doc who tells him to eat margarine instead of butter though
Anyway, I don't know if I'll be posting much, but I'll try to follow the thread and I'll let y'all know when the baby decides to make it's entrance to the world.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:50 PM

HerthElde, Yes, I got your email. Have missed hanging out with you. Hope you start feeling better soon so that when baby arrives you are in good health. (I can't believe you are nearly full term already!)

Quote:
Please forgive me if this is something I should already know, but what is the Master Cleanse?
The MC is a fast/detox program that cleanses your body and digestive tract in order to promote health/healing, and get rid of disease, mucus, etc. This site does a pretty good job of explaining it if you are interested in more info: http://www.therawfoodsite.com/index.htm

Quote:
Hibou, that is great about your husband! How is he feeling after doing that cleanse? Has it made a significant difference in his weight, energy level, mood, etc.? I'd love for my Dh to do something similar. Heck, *I'd* like to do something like that, but need to wait until I'm no longer pregnant or nursing.
He is feeling good. He has been pretty even-keel through the whole thing, no major mood swings or bursts of energy; he was a little extra tired some days, and had detox symptoms like headache, muscle aches, etc. He definately lost a lot of weight (which he needs to anyways), but his belly is much smaller and his face is noticeably thinner. I know he will probably gain some of it back, but like I say, this is a great start. The most interesting thing- I thought- was that during the cleanse, he would come into the kitchen while I was cooking and drool over things that he wouldn't normally eat. I would totally have done it with him (edited to clarify: done the cleanse) if I wasn't breastfeeding...oh well...someday.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:11 PM

Hibou, that's interesting. I wish my Dh would do something like that! I'm feeling a little discouraged ATM. Dh just told me that he doesn't think he can do the 40 day plan with me right now, as he doesn't think he can stick with it (or even reasonably close) while he's travelling. Plus, I'm having major sugar/carb cravings. It's all I can think about! Everytime I smell anything, I want a carb or something sweet! AAAAHHHHH!!! I just keep telling myself that I can get through today without either, and tomorrow will be better. Still, it's discouraging to be doing this alone, when I thought I was going to have a little more support.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:12 PM

Oh, and did I mention that I'm feeling really tired and irritable?! Yah, I think I'm just a little addicted to sugar! Surely it will get better, somebody please tell me it will!
Old 01-10-2006, 08:58 PM

gardenmommy, I don't normally post here, just lurk, but I had to give a few words of encouragement. I think you said you're on day 2 or 3? Those are the absolute WORST days. Give it a few more days and it'll be a lot easier. I've only completely given up sugar, but am cutting back on carbs. So you have more of a challenge than me, but I'm sure you can do it if you get over this hump.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibou
The MC is a fast/detox program that cleanses your body and digestive tract in order to promote health/healing, and get rid of disease, mucus, etc. This site does a pretty good job of explaining it if you are interested in more info: http://www.therawfoodsite.com/index.htm
Thanks so much for the info!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:22 PM

A the backlash of the sugar highs of the holidays are also felt here. My dd had croup I think, but is getting better. But the sickness has seemed to move on to me and its been 3 days of hell. Glad I don't get sick very often.
Unfortunately I reverted back to old ways and wanted junk food to cheer me up. Someday I will hopefully be able to tell myself that it will make me feel worse BEFORE I eat it!!

Okay so I roasted a turkey this weekend and I saved the gizzards. But I am an idiot and am unsure what is what. And how long would the liver say last in the fridge? I assume the liver is the big soft flat thingy. The heart is the small oblongish thing and the kidneys are hooked together with some filament? Do I have that right? One of these days I really will try liver. I am so scared to forge into that unkown.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahverlinda
gardenmommy, I don't normally post here, just lurk, but I had to give a few words of encouragement. I think you said you're on day 2 or 3? Those are the absolute WORST days. Give it a few more days and it'll be a lot easier. I've only completely given up sugar, but am cutting back on carbs. So you have more of a challenge than me, but I'm sure you can do it if you get over this hump.

Thank you so much for the encouragement! In my head, I am sure I will make it. It's my body telling me to go get something sweet! I have had a headache all day (feels like sinuses, but could be sugar withdrawals, too!) I feel like a big ol' grumpy bear! I've done really well today, and I'm hoping that tomorrow is better. At the moment, I don't feel like I'm going to last, the cravings are so strong. So, hopefully, over the next few days, it will get easier.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:20 PM

I am not online a lot right now, but I try and keep up with this thread when I am on.

I am wondering about Bubbies brand saurkraut, is it a good one?

It is spendy and it tastes a lot different than most types I have tasted. I really enjoy it while mind is fermenting.

Can I use the juice off of it to make my own instead of additional water?

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
Old 01-12-2006, 01:22 AM

We really like Bubbies kraut, but it is pasturized.

Here is our menu for the next little while, for those who were asking...

Friday PM soak flour for pancakes

Sat. B-pancakes -soak beans-defrost fish-make yogurt cheese
L-soup
D-Fish and veg -start baked beans in crock pot

Sun. B-eggs, sausage, beans, tomato
L-left overs -make macaroons, save egg yolks
D-roast chicken and veg -make fruit chutney

Mon. B-smoothies w/ egg yolk -make chicken broth AM
L-egs, beans, toast -freeze leftover beans in portions
D-left over chicken, rice, green beans -soak oats

Tues. B-oatmeal -boil eggs
L-PBJ
D-chicken soup, yogurt cheese ice cream

Wed. B-eggs, sausage, beans
L- soup, toast
D-tuna sand

Thurs. B-yogurt, fruit, crispy nuts
L-tuna sand
D-meatloaf, mashed potatos, green beans - soak oats

Fri. B-oatmeal
L-meatloaf sand.
D-out

Sat. B-French Toast (freeze extra)
L-soup
D-steam veg and rice -make ginger carrots

Sun. B-eggs, sausage, beans -make beef broth
L-out
D-fish and veg -soak oats, start bread

Mon. B-oatmeal -start beef stew
L-left overs -bake bread
D-beef stew

Tues. B-yogurt, fruit, nuts -soak flour
L-beef stew -bring butter room temp.
D-pancakes, extra for crackers -soak flour for cookies

Wed. B-French toast (from freezer)
L-PBJ -make cookies
D-mac and cheese, fish

Thurs. B-eggs, toast -soak flour for muffins
L-???
D-chicken soup, muffins

Fri. B-smoothie, save egg whites
L-chicken soup - make macaroons
D-out

We have LF veg and condiments that we just use when ever we're eating and other NT snacks and drinks.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticat
Okay so I roasted a turkey this weekend and I saved the gizzards. But I am an idiot and am unsure what is what. And how long would the liver say last in the fridge? I assume the liver is the big soft flat thingy. The heart is the small oblongish thing and the kidneys are hooked together with some filament? Do I have that right? One of these days I really will try liver. I am so scared to forge into that unkown.
I guess I am not the only one!

I also noticed a running theme about us not eating good from the holidays and such and everyone is sick and so are the kidos.

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
Old 01-12-2006, 03:08 AM

FYI, for those in the Calgary AB area: There is going to be a meeting of the Weston Price chapter here in the city on January 25, Wednesday from 6:30 - 8:30. It will be a bit of a potluck, NT style.

If anyone is interested in coming please pm me here and I can give the location and directions and any extra info.

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2006, 03:09 AM

HI Mamas,

Thank you so much for posting your menus/ schedules! That was great to look at. I am going to hang them up in my kitchen for reference.

Does anyone know if the Master Cleanse can be done while breastfeeding? DD is 13 month and eating a lot of food, but still nurses a lot too. DP and I are sugar addicts and I would like to stop our habit. I don't know if he would do it with me (since he won't cook he about has to though ).

Hearthelde,

My kitchen sounds very similar to yours. It drives me nuts! I think its too small for regualr cooking nevermind NT! You're tough (and you must be highly organized!).

ok...back to lurking

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
Old 01-12-2006, 03:32 AM

Ooh, I've been reading about the Master Cleanse on curezone.com and I can't wait to try it when I'm no longer pregnant or nursing (or at least nursing more than 1-2 times per day). I would be a little worried about toxins going into my breastmilk if my child was getting more than "comfort milk" like they tend to do before they completely wean.

DD got her fair share of sweets in her presents from other people, and it made her more demanding for them, like an addiction. grrr... We also got colds here! I told her sugar helps her get a cold so she has to stop eating eat if she doesn't want another cold. It was a struggle to keep her from begging for a piece from the stash. And that was after I chucked the stuff with artificial colors.

Well, this babe's due date is in just over a week... Gosh, I hope he turns head down. One day I will resume my NT cooking and not have to buy all my ingredients. I have been getting the Bubbies saurkraut- The president wrote back to my question of it being pasteurized and said that they DO sell an unpasteurized version in big buckets, but they are looking for a larger distribution of it outside the SF Bay Area. He suggested I request it to one of my local health food stores, so I think I"m going to do that. Maybe it will work! (not that I couldn't learn to make kraut, but it just hasn't happened yet.) He said they pasteurize it so it doesn't leak during shipment all over the boxes as it is prone to do occasionally...

--Kelly
Old 01-12-2006, 09:26 AM

So I am having a sleepless night, and decided what better to do than copy out my NT menu for you guys?

You can find it here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...82#post4432082 where I started a NT menu planning thread.

HTH!

btw, I am so excited my sausage stuffer attachment for my kitchenaid mixer arrived yesterday! Now I can start making my own!
Old 01-12-2006, 02:17 PM

Oregonicmama, I'm not the one with the small kitchen - but it still felt good to be called tough and highly organized (so NOT true, at least on the organization )
Kelly, I'm hoping for you that your baby turns!!!! Have you tried homeopathic pulsatilla to get the baby to turn, seen a chiropracter who does the webster technique, and/or tried moxabustion? You probably know all of this already - my baby was breech a couple weeks ago, and I never ended up using any of the techniques, but certainly felt some panic - actually panic, then outright anger that my only choice with a breech baby would have been UC or going to another province to have the baby vaginally.
Hibou and lao80, I love you I love you I love you for posting your tasks! I've been feeling so disorganized, and really haven't been doing much soaking/sprouting etc and am really at a point where I just needed someone to tell me what to do - this will help soooooo much. I've also started using the Motivated Moms calendar about 3 days ago and am already seeing an improvement (otherwise I tend to have days where I really overdo it, then I'm too exhausted to do much at all for a couple of days).
Hibou, if you're coming in to town to do your grocery shopping Saturday and you're not too busy, did you want to pop over for tea? Bring the kids and the hubby if you like. LMK.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:10 PM

Well, I am on day six here. Yesterday was terrible. I felt absolutely awful. Today, I am much better, and am not experiencing quite so many cravings. I slept better last night, and have more energy today. Hopefully it will get better from here.

I have a question. Can I use arrowroot powder one for one in place of cornstarch? And, if I can get non-GMO, organic cornstarch, why would I want to use arrowroot powder?

Thank you to those who have posted their routines/menus. That is a tremendous help to me. I have trouble being organized enough to efficiently do NT, so I appreciate seeing how others "do" it in real life. Thanks!

Brookesmom, I would not do an extended fast or cleanse like the MC while bfing or pregnant. Personally, I think that it off-loads to many toxins into the baby's body. I would take a gentler route, like eliminating sugar and grains, upping your fresh, raw foods, and cutting back on dairy (even if temporarily).

JMO.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:01 AM

Hi,

Thank you for posting your weekly schedules, that is so helpful.

Hearthelde,

I have been doing Motivated Moms calendar too. I got it for myself for Christmas and so far I really like it. It just helps me a lot to have a list (made by someone else) of what I need to do. it keeps me on track and from slacking off too much. I try to do the daily tasks every day, but sometimes I skip some of the chores. And I can tell when I'm slacking off too much b/c all the little boxes are empty (like last week!).

Now I'm off the see how to incorporate my NT tasks into my Motivated Moms calendar.

Oatmeal question:

We eat oatmeal everyday for breakfast (DDs love it). We all prefer the soaked oats, but I forget to soak them a lot. I tried doing a large batch for a few days at a time, but the oats were kind of weird and slimy after the first day. Any suggestions (besides varying our diet more, I'm already working on that)?

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
Old 01-13-2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickiswing
my biggest concern is for my almost 4 yr old autistic son. He's had some bowel complications since the end of October
I highly recommend these 2 books:

Breaking the Vicious Cycle
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...ism/autism.htm

Enzymes and Autism
www.enzymestuff.com
Old 01-13-2006, 01:45 PM

Has anyone made the Orangina?

I used raw milk whey and Redmond's salt. When it was done fermenting for several days on counter it was slimy, like thin egg white consistency

I was irritated and just stuck in fridge for a week. Now it's not at all slimy and tastes okay. Not enough of a bite for me though, maybe it needs more time?
Old 01-13-2006, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonicmama
I tried doing a large batch for a few days at a time, but the oats were kind of weird and slimy after the first day. Any suggestions (besides varying our diet more, I'm already working on that)?

I just heat it back up with a little more water and it's fine. OR I take the leftover oats and mix in an egg and make the fried mush.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :

User Tag List