Jan NT Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 227 Old 01-17-2006, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibou
Okay, this makes sense to me, but what if the pig is grass-fed? Wouldn't that make it less toxic?
Well...less toxic is still toxic, right?

I read an article once that compared animal's metabolisms...I can't remember all of the animals (cow, sheep, chicken, etc) except that it took several days in some cases before what they ate showing up in their muscles...but for pigs, you can feed them something and then eat it as fat/muscle within 4 hours.

We follow the OT dietary guidelines in this household, as do a few others that I know about who frequent these boards. But it shouldn't end at that (for our family at least)...just because God didn't say "Don't eat candy bars & don't drink soda pop" doesn't mean that we should go out and eat a Snickers and guzzle a Pepsi for breakfast (as some of the kids in my little brother's high school do...ugh). The reasoning behind the dietary laws is a health issue, it kept the Israelites healthy. That's what we're striving for as NT'ers, isn't it?

Sorry for carrying on so long about that.

On another note, I'm actually going to try to make "refried" beans today. I thought that it was made with pinto beans, but the NT book says black or kidney beans. Oops! She doesn't list any spices though, so I was thinking cumin at least...what do you season yours with?

Momma to the monkeys three
#122 of 227 Old 01-17-2006, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

I would use garlicand onions in the beans...and when I make them..I won't be using kidney beans either...I will use pinto...I have tons of navy beans too..so maybe...I need to find some lard to make them with...
#123 of 227 Old 01-17-2006, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the Welcomes.

I use EP for eating plan, instead of diet. Now I have one- what is OT in regard to food?

I jumped in right in the middle of a contentious issue- pork. I do not know the answer but I wonder where & when they were domesticated. I think our genealogy plays an important role, and whichever ethnicity domesticated them probably does alright eating them.

Hibou- our grandparents spent all their time securing their food. We have to decide if it is worth it to us, when we are in communities and a society that does not see this as normal (or even worthwhile). I wish I could do it too- but I will be much further South before I try! And on seasonality: It doesn't make sense to eat fresh fruit or veggies in the winter. Don't you think it is confusing for our bodies to be in Canada and try to assimulate nutrients from food grown in S. Calif.?

gardenmommy- keep with it. I had a sugar withdrawl headache for about 5 days and a foggy feeling for about 2 to 3 weeks. But I did not do grains at the same time. You can do it.
#124 of 227 Old 01-17-2006, 05:11 PM

All right, folks! Thanks for the encouragement! I am now on day 10, and so far today I've eaten fairly lightly. I was having the urge to have a sweet right after lunch, which has always been a hard time of day for me. It helps to drink a big glass of water and go get busy doing something. Distraction: works for toddlers and wanna-be-sugar-free mamas!

I'm wondering about the connection between sugar cravings and heavy metal toxicity. I have 2 or 3 amalgam fillings (would very much like to have them removed, postponing it while nursing), and wonder if that is the reason? I don't really know a whole lot about this issue; it's one I really want to learn more about.

Hibou, I suppose grass-fed pork is less toxic, simply because they are not confined to a small area. They have more room to roam, and that usually makes animals less likely to eat non-food or poor-food substances. EX: horses are range animals. They are grazers, so usually leave poisonous plants alone, even if the plants are in their pasture. However, if their pasture becomes severely depleted, like in severe drought conditions, and there isn't enough supplemental forage provided, they will, out of desperation, eat toxic plants.

Similarly, I expect that hogs would also be less likely to eat non-food items if they had plenty of really good forage available. Still, they are carnivorous, and will eat days-old dead animals, even if they have better food choices available. IMO, that is pretty yucky, so I'm not excited about eating THEM.

However, I think that if you really liked pork, and wanted to continue eating it, it would be okay in very small amounts, balanced by lots of antioxidant-rich foods.

Oh yes, I just remembered something else. A very close friend watched her mother struggle with breast cancer (maybe 4-5 years ago). They asked her doctors what, if anything, they should include or avoid in her (and other family members') diet. The doctors told them to avoid pork, and to avoid cooking food in the microwave. They said that both those things are strongly correlated to cancerous growths. That really stood out to me, because I felt that if mainstream doctors (who usually don't have a clue about the causes of cancer, just which drugs to pump you up on) had such a strong opinion about this, there was probably some merit to it. Sort of the old "if there's smoke, there's probably fire" thing.

Sorry for the novel! I'll try to be more concise next time.
#125 of 227 Old 01-17-2006, 05:16 PM

Re: pork
We eat it, and it is grassfed/pastured. I have no problems eating it. The Okinawans eat plenty of it and they are one of the longest-living people on this earth. It is also indicated in Traditional Chinese Medicine for people with low chi, which I definitely have. And chickens eat just as many different things as pigs, I keep chickens and a person I know keeps pigs. As long as the pig has enough space it will potty in a specific spot away from where it wallows.

Re: tooth decay and nutrition...I will have to go dig up some old posts. To be honest though, I am getting tired of spoon-feeding info to people who don't care to change. But I will check out that thread and see what I can do.
#126 of 227 Old 01-17-2006, 06:13 PM

Mamaberd...glad you could join the group! I'm sorry, I should have written it out...OT= Old Testament.

Also, thank you cobluegirl...I've added garlic to the beans, and will add onions in a little bit since they cook up faster than the garlic.

#127 of 227 Old 01-17-2006, 07:26 PM

I'm really enjoying reading what everyone has to say about the pork issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaberd

Hibou- our grandparents spent all their time securing their food. We have to decide if it is worth it to us, when we are in communities and a society that does not see this as normal (or even worthwhile). I wish I could do it too- but I will be much further South before I try! And on seasonality: It doesn't make sense to eat fresh fruit or veggies in the winter. Don't you think it is confusing for our bodies to be in Canada and try to assimulate nutrients from food grown in S. Calif.?
I understand what you're saying about seasonality and confusing our bodies. But if I ever made the switch it would have to be a slow one. It's easy to find fresh local food in the summer, but I have a hard time imagining what winter would be like without fresh fruit and veggies, even though I love root veg's and squash, it would be such a big change! It makes sense from so many perspectives though.

As for securing our own food being viewed as worthwhile by society, I think I've come to a point after co-sleeping, nursing a 4-y.o., etc., where I've given up on what society values .
#128 of 227 Old 01-17-2006, 09:18 PM

rident,

I like tio cook my beans with garlic, onions, and oregano. B ut make sure you saute the onions and garlic first or its just not the same.

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#129 of 227 Old 01-17-2006, 09:29 PM

I'm really interested in this idea of seasonal eating I would love to do it. But what exactly do you eat during the winter? Can anyone recomend a good book on seasonal cooking. thanks
#130 of 227 Old 01-18-2006, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy
I'm wondering about the connection between sugar cravings and heavy metal toxicity. I have 2 or 3 amalgam fillings (would very much like to have them removed, postponing it while nursing), and wonder if that is the reason? I don't really know a whole lot about this issue; it's one I really want to learn more about.
If you have amalgams, they give off mercury vapor on a constant basis, most of which has been shown to be very easily absorbed through our lungs. More Hg can be released through hard chewing, gum and hot liquids. Heavy metals concentrate in our gastrointestinal tract where they kill off beneficial bacteria and allow yeast/bad bacteria to proliferate.

This is very well observed in the ASD community... when these kids are chelated, and metals are moving out of their organs into their gut, yeast often goes out of control.

The placement of 8 amalgams coincided with my IBS and a decade of gastrointestinal problems. I recently had them all taken out according to safe protocol (oxygen to breathe and other special equipment to prevent me from being exposed during drilling them out, another critical point of exposure). If you do want to learn more there is a current thread on the Dental board and also Beanma posted links to some archived threads.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=396359

Ignore the propaganda by the federal government dentist Momof1cutie
#131 of 227 Old 01-18-2006, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toraji
Re: tooth decay and nutrition...I will have to go dig up some old posts. To be honest though, I am getting tired of spoon-feeding info to people who don't care to change. But I will check out that thread and see what I can do.
Hey I was one of those people once but look at me now

If you know anything on plaque I'd like to know. DS is now a calcium plaque factory on his lower 4 teeth that are a bit crowded despite supplementing with magnesium. I'm really getting worried about it. (His 1st dental appt with our holistic dentist in Nov. was fine thank goodness, I'd so go off the deep end with all the other crap we are dealing with here.)
#132 of 227 Old 01-18-2006, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama
Also, if I may, one more question? This Activator X in Butter oil, is it only in specific butter? Or, just pastured raised animals specifically, or am I missing the whole point.
I'm referencing my copy of N&PD right here.

In the fat and milk of pastured mammals. The most is during periods of rapid grass growth (I've heard spring and fall but obviously depends on geography). The South is spring and fall, more north there is one season.

Also fish eggs, shellfish and organ meats.

And is synthesized by mammary glands... breastmilk! (and we know the capacity for BM to synthesize the correct fats is also dependent on diet, just like other mammals.)

Greater potency can be gotten by centrifuging high vitamin butter to produce butter oil: http://www.radiantlifecatalog.com/pr.../ct/1/pid/1050

Price noted that complete control of dental cavities in poor children with the worst diet imaginable can be obtained by giving high vitamin butter and high vitamin cod liver oil together with a reduction in carbohydrates through a "reinforced diet" consisting of one meal/day of:

(I just looked this up): Orange or tomato juice with 1/2 tsp each cod liver oil and high vitamin butter oil added, bone marrow broth stew with meat and veggies including very yellow carrots, (or substituting fish chowder or stew with organ meats) whole wheat sourdough bread that had been made from freshly ground wheat, raw butter, raw milk, cooked fruit with very little sweetner.

Even though they ate donuts fried in vegetable fat, white flour and syrup and coffee with a lot of sugar for the rest of their meals at home, the fortification of this extremely high vitamin/mineral content lunch protected them. Minerals in saliva increased a huge amount and bacterial counts in the mouth went to zero. Behavior and learning was also improved.

One thing that is weird ... Price references HUGE changes in the bacterial counts of the saliva, showing it going way way down when cavities are controlled. But it's L. Acidophilus he's tracking.

X is not destroyed by pasteurization, that's interesting.
http://www.realmilk.com/price.html

Kerrygold butter is grassfed and widely available. I found it $4 cheaper a pound at my local grocery store compared to Whole Foods. Not raw though.

Okay, I really need to thank you for bringing this up. I've gone too long with DS and our Dairy Allergy Dance, ordering some butter oil now! Price especially notes that just cod liver oil is not enough.
#133 of 227 Old 01-18-2006, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonicmama
rident,I like tio cook my beans with garlic, onions, and oregano. B ut make sure you saute the onions and garlic first or its just not the same.
Thanks! I didn't get to read your post in time, so I just chucked a bunch of garlic and onions and cumin in there with the beans. It actually came out pretty good. I didn't fry them up because they tasted pretty good as-is (and with a toddler and infant, it's not like I wanted to take the extra step). I suppose if I had some duck fat, as NT suggests, I might have given it a go.

Really though, I will saute the onions and garlic first next time...Thank you!!!

#134 of 227 Old 01-18-2006, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Hey I was one of those people once but look at me now

If you know anything on plaque I'd like to know. DS is now a calcium plaque factory on his lower 4 teeth that are a bit crowded despite supplementing with magnesium. I'm really getting worried about it. (His 1st dental appt with our holistic dentist in Nov. was fine thank goodness, I'd so go off the deep end with all the other crap we are dealing with here.)
That was probably a bit cranky, been dealing with a lot of off-line drama right now!

I don't know much about plaque buildup...our personal experience is that it is quite bad on our teeth when we have starchy foods like sweet potatoes, but since you are on SCD then that's not really an issue. Has there been a lot of fruit and honey in his diet? Perhaps that is throwing off the acid/alkaline balance? I will do some thinking/research and hopefully come back with something.

Here's some reassurance about those lower 4 teeth...DD's lower 4 came in pretty crowded but as she is growing they are spacing out. Fingers crossed!
#135 of 227 Old 01-18-2006, 04:20 AM

Re: butter oil

I read a great book over at Soil and Health's online library called "Man vs. Toothache" written by a dentist during Price's time who worked in Hereford, TX which was known at that time as "The Town Without A Toothache". As long as the people of that town ate the local foods, they did not have any tooth decay or problems (tough gig for a dentist!). The soil there was extremely mineralized which gave amazing mineral content to the foods, and it was this area that Dr. Price secured his butter and wheat from that he was feeding to his patients with fantastic results.

The interesting part of this is that Dr. Price specifically sought out his butter/wheat from that area because he knew of the soil/food nutrient connection, and knew that if he got his butter oil or wheat from a different area with less mineral content that his results would not be as good.

So my thought on X-factor butter oil is that for that price, I can't justify it without the assurance that their butter oil is as mineralized as the stuff that Dr. Price used. So I'll just eat my organ meats, shellfish, and local butter to get my X-factor.

But maybe someone can convince me that the X-factor butter oil actually works? OUCH that stuff is expensive!
#136 of 227 Old 01-18-2006, 02:05 PM

I don't know much about dental health, but I just wanted to offer that my kids get plaque regularly, but no cavities. We brush 2x a day to make sure to clean it off, but it doesn't seem to be causing problems. I am going to come over and lurk on the dental thread. I could really do with a little more knowledge.

I've been wondering about nuts.
I sometimes buy them bulk from the grocery or bulk food store, but I don't know where they're from. I am concerned about toxicity in them, but don't have ready access to anything organic. Are grocery store nuts dangerous? Should I be looking for an online supplier?
#137 of 227 Old 01-18-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toraji
Here's some reassurance about those lower 4 teeth...DD's lower 4 came in pretty crowded but as she is growing they are spacing out. Fingers crossed!
That gives me hope, dd's botton 2 teeth fell out pretty early, and when they came in the new teeth were too big and came in crooked. I have more hope for ds, he seems to have a larger dental arch, and more space available. We'll see though, I need to keep up with them on the nutritional front.
#138 of 227 Old 01-18-2006, 08:07 PM

What do you think of this?

They call it a vinegar maker, the price seems good and shipping was like $5 to me, is it worth it to make ACV?

http://www.surlatable.com/common/pro...3&PRRFNBR=9877

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#139 of 227 Old 01-18-2006, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffanie3
What do you think of this? They call it a vinegar maker, the price seems good and shipping was like $5 to me, is it worth it to make ACV?
This site: http://italianfood.about.com/library...y/aa051003.htm says:

Quote:
vinegar's acidity can attack many of the glazes used in ceramics
But man...that would be awesome to have sitting in a kitchen! Think of all the other things you could use it for!!!

#140 of 227 Old 01-18-2006, 09:24 PM

hmmmm..comtemplating a trip to the dental boards...hmmmm...

I made fried mush for breakfast yeaterday and it was so good! my oh my!! I wasn't sure what to expect.

My bread came out great, it must have been the flour I used last time. And I let it soak for nearly 24 hours and it doesn't have even a hint of sourness to it.

Today I scored an icecream maker a tthe thrift shop for $1!! Its only a pint size one, but I can't wait to use it. We love ice cream.

Still comtemplating.....hmmmmm....

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#141 of 227 Old 01-18-2006, 10:55 PM

JaneS, thank you for the information about amalgams. I would like to dig a little deeper and find out more about getting them removed. Since I've been pregnant or nursing for the last 8 1/2 years, I just haven't felt comfortable pursuing it. However, learning more may help me make a better decision.

I am at the end of day 11. I still feel like eating grains or sweets, but I'm doing much better. I feel more hopeful about continuing on with this plan, now that I'm almost at the end of the first phase. Thank you for your encouraging words.
#142 of 227 Old 01-18-2006, 11:52 PM

gardenmommy- are you following his meal plans, or just the general guidelines?
Good job keeping at it so far!
#143 of 227 Old 01-19-2006, 12:09 AM

Re: the X Factor

Some utterly fabulous NT'er posted this a while back and the link was broken, it's back now...

Why I'm in Awe of Activator X Butter Oil and Cod Liver Oil
http://greenpasture.org/awe_butter_oil.php
#144 of 227 Old 01-19-2006, 02:16 AM

Quote:

Some utterly fabulous NT'er posted this a while back and the link was broken, it's back now...

Why I'm in Awe of Activator X Butter Oil and Cod Liver Oil
http://greenpasture.org/awe_butter_oil.php
But she only rehashes the fabulous stories from NAPD. I am curious to know if anyone has been able to replicate the results using modern-day X-factor butter oil which claims to be grown on volcanic soils but who knows if those soils are as mineralized as Hereford, TX in the 1930s?

And what the heck is this mysterious X-factor anyways? Don't you think modern science could have figured this out by now? I'm dying to know! (Geez, think of that...I could be literally dying if I'm not getting it in my diet...wouldn't that be ironic? Ok, don't mind me, it's late and I'm punchy.)
#145 of 227 Old 01-19-2006, 03:07 AM

Quote:

Yes, that would be me.
#146 of 227 Old 01-19-2006, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybirds2
gardenmommy- are you following his meal plans, or just the general guidelines?
Good job keeping at it so far!
Who's "him"? Mercola? I have his no-grain diet book - very interesting.
And yes, good job!!!! I would love to go no grain, and think I will sometime, at least for a while (probably follow the Garden of Eating plan), but I think it would be very expensive.
#147 of 227 Old 01-20-2006, 12:19 AM

Tweety birds: Thank you for the encouragement!

The Maker's Diet, by Jordin Rubin. I am not following it exactly, as I can't really afford to use all the supplements. I'm sure they are good, but too expensive for my budget.

I am following the dietary recommendations, trying out some the recipes, where they suit my family and me.

I'm at the end of day 12 tonight, and am really proud of myself for sticking to it for this long. Two more days and I'll be starting phase 2.

I'm eating lots of raw fresh veggies, more greens, and lots of blueberries, grapefruit, and almonds. Sunday, I'm going to make a baked apple, and I'm really looking forward to it!

Toraji, if scientists figured out what the X-factor is, then we'd all have to switch to using really good quality butter instead of that wonderful stuff margarine! (JK, of course!)
#148 of 227 Old 01-20-2006, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

anyone read Jordan's new book? I just started it last week...good so far..goes into the pork issue more..lol and talks back about all the ifs, ands, and buts...LOL
#149 of 227 Old 01-20-2006, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl
anyone read Jordan's new book? I just started it last week...good so far..goes into the pork issue more..lol and talks back about all the ifs, ands, and buts...LOL
What is it called?
#150 of 227 Old 01-21-2006, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy
Toraji, if scientists figured out what the X-factor is, then we'd all have to switch to using really good quality butter instead of that wonderful stuff margarine! (JK, of course!)
Guess I won't hold my breath!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page