Jan NT Thread - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2006, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well for the purple cabbage I just used the cabbage, whey & salt. My kitchen stays rather cold. It was rubbery and I can't even describe the flavor... Do you eat it straight out of jar or cook it? The second batch I used the green cabbage and carrots with garlic, whey & salt. It too is funny tasting and rubbery.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2006, 11:56 PM

I don't know if it will help or not, but I've successfully made sauerkraut several times, so I thought I'd post my method. I haven't used SF's recipe; I got started with Sandor's from Wild Fermentation.
First shred or chop the cabbage into a big bowl or bucket (sounds classy, don't it? ). Shredding it finer might help to deal with the rubbery issue. Then, take your salt and sprinkle it generously, but don't overdo. I've never measured, I always go by taste. It should taste salty, but not so much so that you find it unappealing. I think Sandor uses a lot more salt in his recipes too. I don't add whey. I take my pounder and start smacking it until the juices start to run, pack it into jars, and voila! I think one of the key things is that good sauerkraut needs time to develop it's flavor. Don't put it somewhere too warm or too cold. Pack it down daily to avoid the scum/fuzzies that can form on top. Let it age at least a couple weeks. It takes longer to age than kimchi, IMO, for the right flavor.

Because I'm not making it to last for months at a time unrefrigerated, I think it's fine to reduce the salt. If (when) I start making big batches to last the winter, maybe more salt would be necessary, but like old-fashioned salt-brine pickles, one might then have to soak it before eating it to leach out some of the salt.
HTH.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

ok next time i will try Sandor's recipe...I forgot to look there. Oh so much to do so little time...and resources...lol WHY CAN'T LIFE BE SIMPLE....lol....Hey will it taste anything like store bought sauerkraut? Glad to know I can keep opening the jar too...
Old 01-31-2006, 12:47 AM

oh, thanks hibou for the sauerkraut tips! Any specific temp range to look for, right now our house is about at 69.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 01-31-2006, 04:27 AM

Ah, packing the sauerkraut down, forgot about that. Ours went moldy within a few days, maybe we didn't pack it enough.
You can substitute dried shredded coconut or nut flour for the dry milk powder. Or use crystallized or solid honey instead of liquid honey. Mine crystalizes if I leave it too long.
Hey, congrats Herthelde!

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

Old 01-31-2006, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl
Glad to know I can keep opening the jar too...
I don't put lids on my jars when they are fermenting. I cover them with cotton scraps or cheesecloth, held down with an elastic. Fermenting uses the wild beasties from the air, so I think this makes a lot more sense than covering it with a lid. The only thing is that without a lid, some of the liquid can evaporate. If this happens, pack down the kraut, mix a pinch of salt into a 1/4 or 1/3 c. of water and pour it into the jar (again, taste the water to make sure it's not offensively salty). Water might evaporate, but the salt will stay behind, so be careful about how is added!

Quote:
oh, thanks hibou for the sauerkraut tips! Any specific temp range to look for, right now our house is about at 69.
Our house is cool-ish (I'm always too cold, but it's poorly insulated)...probably about 18 degrees C, and that seems alright (until baking day!) If it's too warm, sauerkraut will go moldy without constant attention, and if it's too cold it will ferment very slowly. In the summer, I had my jars fermenting in the basement. When it's done to my liking, I refrigerate them, but if you don't have room in the fridge, they'll keep fine unrefrigerated as long as you make sure to pack it down daily.
FWIW, my mom freezes hers and that works fine. I'm not sure how freezing affects the healthy beasties though.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:43 PM

so do most of you use your regular recipies and then just adapt them to the NT way? I have noticed that not a lot of people like the way that sallys recipies turn out and then adapt their own, is this correct?

Also do you have to change your diet much when traveling or eating at restaurants because most things arent organic and made from scratch? Does your body start feeling different when you dont eat the NT way? I am just wondering because we go visit my family once a month and it is a 4 hour drive, so we always have to stop somewhere and eat. Also my mom is the queen of convenience foods. She loves eating things out of a package and doesnt understand why we dont because they are "easier"

my poor baby just tested positive for RSV. Please send good vibes our way. She isnt having any trouble breathing right now, so Im hoping we dont have it turn that way and end up in the hospital tonight.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:02 PM

Oh forgot, 2 more questions

what have others replaced drinking coffee with? I love coffee in the morning, but really want to cut it out of my diet

I have noticed in the book that sally is very against microwaves. can someone tell me more about this?
Old 01-31-2006, 05:47 PM

On eating out, I don't sweat it too much. I figure if we eat well at home, we're fine once in awhile. I try to make the best choices possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory maker
Oh forgot, 2 more questions

what have others replaced drinking coffee with? I love coffee in the morning, but really want to cut it out of my diet

I have noticed in the book that sally is very against microwaves. can someone tell me more about this?
I have never had a struggle with coffee. But I know some people wean off it with things like Teeccino:
http://www.teeccino.com/
It's not coffee, but I enjoy it. Others brew it WITH coffee and gradually cut back on coffee grains until it's only Teeccino.

Microwaves change the nutrients in our food and possibly how that food affects our bodies. I haven't given mine up completely, but have reduced how we use it. I still need it to heat hot packs and warm up leftovers sometimes. Here's a quote from the Price-Pottenger Foundation's June 1994 journal. An article titled, "Microwave Tragedy."
"The conclusion was clear: Microwave cooking changed the nutrients so that changes took place in the participants' blood, and these were not healthy changes, but were changes that could cause deterioration in the human systems."

A much longer article, but that was the gist of it.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
Old 01-31-2006, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

coffee is not something I am willing to give up..lol but I have cut way back on. You can drink green tea in the morning....or try the teeccino. I tried that once while I was pregnant..but now I can't stand the smell of it..lol hormones..
Old 02-01-2006, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory maker
so do most of you use your regular recipies and then just adapt them to the NT way? I have noticed that not a lot of people like the way that sallys recipies turn out and then adapt their own, is this correct?

Also do you have to change your diet much when traveling or eating at restaurants because most things arent organic and made from scratch? Does your body start feeling different when you dont eat the NT way? I am just wondering because we go visit my family once a month and it is a 4 hour drive, so we always have to stop somewhere and eat. Also my mom is the queen of convenience foods. She loves eating things out of a package and doesnt understand why we dont because they are "easier"
Most of my recipes are adpted and not actually in the NT book. I use Joy of Cooking (love, love, LOVE that book!). You'd be surprise how many "NT recipes" are in there! A lot of times, it's just a matter of soaking your rice and beans first! I also allow myself a little flexibility. I don't beat myself up for not doing everything NT. If I feel like baking REAL scones, I do! (Well, sort of. I still don't use white flour or white sugar) I don't worry about doing NT 100%. (don't get me wrong... I'm usually pretty close!) That would be too restrictive for me. I allow some leeway and do the best I can. I have decided what principles are most important to me to do all the time (like kefir and good fats), and what can slide a little or a lot (like soaking corn in lime... forget it!).

When we take a trip, I try to pack as much food as I can for eating on the road (but that's more to save money than anything!). If we eat out, we just try to make wise choices, like staying away from sugary, refined, bad-oil foods. Ditto with eating at someone's house, but that can be very difficult. I do notice that I don't always feel great eating at other people's houses!
Old 02-01-2006, 11:43 AM

Today is day 26 of the Maker's Diet plan. I am doing well, my craving for sweets has really diminished, and I've lost about 15 lbs. I am having a really strong desire to eat some grains; a nice slice of sprouted wheat bread toasted and topped with butter and honey sounds delish! I am really looking forward to trying some of the soaked flour recipes next week.

Coffee: I think that small amounts of good of quality coffee are fine. As long as you aren't overdoing it, your body can probably handle it. Esp. if you offset it with lots of fresh veggies and raw foods. JMO.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:49 PM

Well, I made the almond butter balls and just used arrowroot flour. They were pretty good and really easy. TOday I made cream cheese bonbons. Both are from Cathe Olson SImply Natural Baby food. Although I don't like the many vegetarian soy recipes, they can always be adapted and overall it's given me some great ideas to feed my little one (and myself!!) The balls and bonbons really satisfy my sweet cravings.

As for the microwave, I finally got rid of it a couple months ago. I found a small toaster oven for $5 at a garage sale adn it works great to warm up leftovers and toast things. Wouldn't mind a bigger one so I could fit a big plate in it. I was surprised to find it rather easy to give up and just make a few changes for warming food up. Even my roomate/sister didn't complain too much.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy
Today is day 26 of the Maker's Diet plan. I am doing well, my craving for sweets has really diminished, and I've lost about 15 lbs. I am having a really strong desire to eat some grains; a nice slice of sprouted wheat bread toasted and topped with butter and honey sounds delish! I am really looking forward to trying some of the soaked flour recipes next week.

Coffee: I think that small amounts of good of quality coffee are fine. As long as you aren't overdoing it, your body can probably handle it. Esp. if you offset it with lots of fresh veggies and raw foods. JMO.

yeah!!! I need to do it...hehe
Old 02-01-2006, 06:48 PM

I'm going to start a new thread for Feb.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:28 AM

Old 02-02-2006, 11:04 AM

What if you use Redmond Real Salt? That's what we use, get it at the HFS. It's unrefined, from Utah, clearly unbleached. I made the beet kvass and it was pretty darned salty with this type of salt.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

User Tag List