Thought I would start a new thread....

What is everyone up to now??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2006, 02:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies. I believe that I've already recovered from the holidays. This is a record. It's nice to be back in my own kitchen.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 01-04-2006, 03:12 AM

I guess I'm just going to jump in. I posted a while back with questions about baby food and got some great advice.

We're really getting in to better nutrition and natural/whole foods. We had some interesting bugs the last couple months, and my biggest concern is for my almost 4 yr old autistic son. He's had some bowel complications since the end of October, and when the doctors wanted to put him on a daily laxative, I put my foot down. (It's supposedly addictive and some kids have to be on it for years) Anyhow, with the help of some basic nutrition and our friend, acidophilus, things have gotten better and I hope will be settled down soon.

I got a bunch of books for Christmas that I'm psyched about! My hubby gave me Super Baby Food and Simply Baby Food (very nice, Cathe!) and collectively I received $125 in Barnes and Noble gift certificates. So I just ordered a whole bunch of books and can't wait to get going! I also have a good friend that has used nutrition and natural methods for many years and she's mentoring me.

This is great! I've learned so much just from lurking here!

Mama to my little "autie", Jackson (2/02), Evie (5/03), Charlotte (6/05), Simon (11/07) and grieving our sweet Lily Dawn, lost at 18 weeks 9/4/09 , & having a little girl July 2010
Old 01-04-2006, 11:57 AM

Micki-

Are you familiar with Donna Gates of the Body Ecology Diet? I don't have long to post right now, but wanted to throw this out-- She does a lot with intestinal ecology/probiotics, etc. and I once saw her speak (at WAPF conference) about her success with autistic children. Here is a link for her:

http://www.bodyecologydiet.com/

you may have to dig to find the info specifically relevant to autism, though. I have not searched for such.

HTH!

Elizabeth
Old 01-04-2006, 01:02 PM

At the end of the December thread, MomInFlux said:

Quote:
Saturday evening I felt brave and made 2 things out of the NT cookbook: beet kvass and ginger carrots. I made them exactly by the recipe - with sea salt and whey. I just tried them, and they're SO salty. I think I could get used to the taste (of the carrots, anyway, I'm still considering the beet kvass). If I let them age in the refrigerator, will the saltiness mellow? Or is there a way to make either of them with less salt? Seriously, they are so salty they are unedible/undrinkable.
I just the other day asked that question of the NT e-mail group that I'm in. I've had the same problem, along with root beer and ginger ale being so salty, and other recipes that I haven't tried because they call for a lot of salt. The moderator of the group e-mailed Sally Fallon to ask her about it. Apparently this is a common complaint!

Here's her reply:

"guess this is just a matter of taste.

The ginger carrots are salty, but I found that if I didn't add a
lot of salt to them, they went off quickly. Perhaps some people
are just more sensitive to the salt taste. sally"

So... Uh... There we have it! A lot of people have said that they just use less salt in the recipes!

Now I have to figure out what to do with my oversalty ginger carrots!
Old 01-04-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie_Kate
Now I have to figure out what to do with my oversalty ginger carrots!
Good to know I didn't do anything wrong, but now, I too, have a jar to figure out what to do with as well!
Old 01-04-2006, 03:03 PM

What kind of sea salt did you use? If you don't use Celtic sea salt or something similiar the ferments will not work. Refined sea salt makes them way too salty, almost burns your lips.

http://www.celticseasalt.com/

We had a great holiday. Now back to the 'grind' so to speak. The second round of my research for my flora balancing program is staring this week and I am editing and changing parts of the program to reflect my first round findings. Its going very well.

I made a super healing turkey stock from our Yule bird that will provide for weeks for us.

How is everyone else?

Old 01-04-2006, 03:11 PM

I wondered if that was my problem. I am hopefully going to order some salt from the Salt and Grain Society this month.

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
Old 01-04-2006, 04:17 PM

Oh yes. What kind of salt you use definately makes a difference!

I just got a perfect batch of 24 hour yogurt. yay!
Old 01-04-2006, 05:07 PM

Hi, everyone,

I'm really trying to get more in the NT way of doing things and have major problems with organization and figuring out what to do when. So I started a thread in meal planning asking those experienced in these things to post whatever kind of weekly schedules or rhythms they've developed. So, if you are one of the people who has a routine for stock-making, bread baking, or lacto-ferments--please consider posting either your usual way of doing things or a typical week or two. I would love to see breakfast, lunch, and dinner, as well as how the "do-aheads" (i.e. soaking things for the next day, etc.) work into the overall plan.

Thanks so much,

Sherri

And on another note, I'm hoping to buy a grain mill and would like to be able to hand grind fairly easily. Is anyone familiar with the Family Grain Mill? Any other recommendations?
Old 01-04-2006, 06:23 PM

I'm getting ready to start the maker's diet 40 day plan. I am planning my menu so that I can shop appropriately. I want to get everything in place to ensure my success. I don't know that I will do everything exactly as he suggests, but will try to stick to it very closely.

My main problem at the moment, is that I've misplaced my NT book. Can't find it anywhere!

I think Dh is on board with me, although he will probably have a harder time sticking to it than I will.

tweetybirds2: Congrats on your yogurt! It feels good to make your own yogurt. Tastes so much better, too! Enjoy!

Question: Where do you get your celtic sea salt? About how much do you pay for it?
Old 01-04-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayndrewsmama
Good to know I didn't do anything wrong, but now, I too, have a jar to figure out what to do with as well!
Great...I just started my first batch of ginger carrots yesterday. Ah well. At first I thought about rinsing them, but that would defeat the purpose of fermentation. What about making a second batch with minimal salt and once they're both in the refridgeration mode, combining them? That way the amount of salt would be diminished between the two of them.

And for those who didn't read my post about the pickled garlic recipe...do you roast your garlic or do it raw? I followed the directions and just ended up with 12 heads of roasted garlic instead of the heads opening. Does the garlic need to be heated before starting the pickling phase, or can I just start it all raw?

The kids and I came home after 3 weeks with my folks. While up there, we had access to raw milk. I made butter and enjoyed the unprocessed buttermilk. Came back here though, and got busy on the stock-making and getting my kefir grains going again. Here's crossed fingers for those ginger carrots!

gardenmommy: good wishes on your 40 days!!! A woman in our church did that this summer and felt wonderful by the end of it.

sheri: glad you're here! I'm slowly gearing up on the NT journey too. Also, I don't know about grain mills, but I use my VitaMix to grind wheatberries and it works great. DH and I like it because it can do so much more than just grind the wheat, that it seemed like a better investment to us than buying a grain mill.

Momma to the monkeys three
Old 01-04-2006, 09:14 PM

I've never done the garlic thing, sorry! I hope you find something good for them!

I have the family grain mill, and think it works great!
Old 01-04-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic
Micki-

Are you familiar with Donna Gates of the Body Ecology Diet? I don't have long to post right now, but wanted to throw this out-- She does a lot with intestinal ecology/probiotics, etc. and I once saw her speak (at WAPF conference) about her success with autistic children. Here is a link for her:

http://www.bodyecologydiet.com/

you may have to dig to find the info specifically relevant to autism, though. I have not searched for such.

HTH!

Elizabeth
Thanks Elizabeth! Any information helps! I've bookmarked it and I'll take a look as soon as I get a quiet minute.

Mama to my little "autie", Jackson (2/02), Evie (5/03), Charlotte (6/05), Simon (11/07) and grieving our sweet Lily Dawn, lost at 18 weeks 9/4/09 , & having a little girl July 2010
Old 01-05-2006, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
I made a super healing turkey stock from our Yule bird that will provide for weeks for us.
I'll bite. Is there something different about the stock and how do you keep it for weeks? We have a stock brewing now and I am holding back on going in and consuming it "all by self" as 3 year old Frederick would say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
Now back to the 'grind' so to speak. The second round of my research for my flora balancing program is staring this week and I am editing and changing parts of the program to reflect my first round findings. Its going very well.
Good luck! This is very exciting. NT rocks. There are three of us on this thread working on books and a bunch of other people who could be. How cool is that? Who knew I would ever recover. I'm celebrating my recovery right now, in fact, with some pomegranate wine. It's way past my bedtime and I still have energy. And it's not drug-induced. And I don't think it's mania. My glass is empty, so I need to journey across the house....

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 01-05-2006, 04:58 AM - Thread Starter

so I am confused...is the salt in the recipe in the NT book for the gingered carrots a typo or not? I thought it was .......
Old 01-05-2006, 01:37 PM

RE: Salt:
When I do my fermented veggies, I just taste them as I am adding the salt. In Wild Fermentation, Sandor Ellix Katz suggests that they should taste "decidedly salty" but not overpoweringly so. I never measure my salt, and I've never over salted. My veggies keep for weeks on the counter if I pack them down under the juice daily. They keep even longer in the fridge. I use sea salt, but not the expensive celtic stuff; just the regular no-additive stuff.

Sherri- I menu plan weekly. I try to do my menu the day before I shop. I write two columns; in the first column I put the days of the week, and what we'll be eating for each meal. In the second column, I put the menu-related tasks that need doing that day...so for eg. if we are going to have beans and rice on Friday, I like to soak the beans at least two days, so I put "soak beans" under Wednesday's jobs, and "soak rice" under Thursday's jobs. If we're having pancakes on Tuesday, I write "soak flour" under Monday's jobs. I personally need to write it all out, because I am not nearly organized enough to keep it all straight in my head! Another thing I am going to try to start doing this month is having a specific day each week for baking bread, making stock, butter, etc.

Has anyone read "Native Nutrition"? A friend of mine found it at the public library and said it was really interesting and all based on WAP's research. I was thinking of ordering it.

Mickiswing- nice to have you here!
Old 01-05-2006, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
I'll bite. Is there something different about the stock and how do you keep it for weeks? We have a stock brewing now and I am holding back on going in and consuming it "all by self" as 3 year old Frederick would say.
The difference with this stock was that I brewed it with several healing roots. Then I made a huge soup out of the stock that included the wild rice stuffing from Christmas that also was made with several healing herbs. The reason I said it would sustain us for weeks is because I froze it into small serving containers!

Old 01-05-2006, 03:31 PM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
The salt information is very helpful and interesting - thanks! I used Sea Salt from Trader Joe's, but even as I was using it I wondered if it was more processed than the recipes intended. I think I'll invest in some Light Grey Celtic Sea Salt for my future NT culinary adventures. I'm going to see if my beet kvass mellows any, or maybe I'll make a second batch with Celtic Sea Salt and mix the two, but the gingered carrots went down the garbage disposal. So sad.

I'm curious - have any of you used NT through pregnancy and found that it helped with nausea/morning sickness? I felt pretty crappy for the first 6-7 months of both my previous pregnancies, and I've been reading up on improving liver function prior to getting pregnant again. Hearing success stories would be pretty awesome.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

I think Pilgrim has read the Native Nutrition .......

as for pregnancy..I didn't get the chance to start....
Old 01-05-2006, 07:39 PM

I am going to try to incorporate a lot of the NT principles now, so that when I get pregnant again, I'll be in a good eating pattern. Hopefully, that will make my pregnancy easy, and my labor shorter. I definitely think that my last preg. would have been much easier had I followed NT. That's partly what pushed me to investigate a different way of eating.

I am going to start thinking about making some ginger carrots. I have to spend some time motivating myself, because, as discussed last month, I have an aversion to all things fermented.

I will remember the salt thing for when I get started. How much is a good amount to use? I am just going to try a very small amount of the carrots at first (maybe a lb. or two)
Old 01-05-2006, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

hehe..my labors are fast and hard...I wouldn't want a faster one..hehe Good luck to you! I haven't tried the fermented food yet...just kefir & kombucha.

Anyone want a scoby for kombucha tea? I have like 12 of them....
Old 01-05-2006, 08:17 PM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl
Anyone want a scoby for kombucha tea? I have like 12 of them....
Is that the mushroom thingy (that's a technical term ) that kombucha is made from? I haven't had a clue where to get them, so I'd love one! How should we do this? I can send a PM with my address and send paypal for shipping.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

that would work just fine!!
Old 01-06-2006, 08:15 PM

Well, I went shopping for my 40 day plan. We are going to start on Sunday this week. My problem at the moment is breakfast. My family is pretty traditional when it comes to breakfast, and I'm having trouble coming up with non-grain ideas for breakfast. Any thoughts?

Btw, I got a salt and ice free ice cream maker for Christmas, and it makes the most delicious ice cream! It probably helps that I'm using fresh raw cream and whole milk, organic sugar and organic vanilla! I enjoyed it for several days, but am going to put it away until we're done with the 40 day plan, just so it won't tempt me.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:22 PM

Just finished reading the book and am going to lurk until we get moved-it's too much to take on now, but too good of an idea to not take on at all!

Homesteading, unschooling mama of three.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy
Well, I went shopping for my 40 day plan. We are going to start on Sunday this week. My problem at the moment is breakfast. My family is pretty traditional when it comes to breakfast, and I'm having trouble coming up with non-grain ideas for breakfast. Any thoughts?
I know nothing about the 40 day plan but what about fruit salad or "milkshakes" for breakfast.

For us "milkshakes" are frozen banana, frozen fruit of your choice (my favorite is Raspberries), and milk of your choice (we use coconut but used to use cows milk before my dd was born). Blend until smooth. Just as tasty but much healthier than real icecream milk shakes.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:31 PM

We eat soup for breakfast quite often. Also Frittattas.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:53 PM

Hi All -

Nice to see a group of NTers here. I am part of many NT yahoo groups but just joined the "dotcommune" today.

I am in Missoula, Montana - is there anyone close?

Also, are any of you members of the Holistic Moms Network? I am starting a chapter in Missoula and would love to know of other NT/HMN mamas!

Time to roll out the yogurt dough for dinner, strain the duck stock and have a glass of beet kvass -

Kristen
Old 01-07-2006, 12:12 AM

Gardenmommy- Sometimes I eat sauteed veggies with pork sausage or ground turkey or ratatouille. You can make up a big batch and eat it for a couple days. It is very hard for me to not eat sweet things for breakfast, I crave sweets in the morning. Don't know if that is just my sweet tooth, or years of eating sugary cereal as a kid. but I like this stuff. Of course I usually eat it with toast or tortillas I use whatever veggies I have but really like zuchinni and eggplant with onions and season with cumin, coriander, and chili powder.

User Tag List