my groc store sells kefir; is this stuff good? I want to make some more- help, please - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-16-2006, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My local meijer (huge chain store) sells kefir. It's "lifeway" brand, and it comes in plain and like 6 different flavors. I bought some strawberry to try, and it is YUMMY. It basically just tastes like yogurt to me. I've never tried the plain stuff, I heard about it a while ago but I wasn't sure I would really eat it :

Ingredients list:
cultured lowfat milk, nonfat milk, organic cane juice, strawberry juice concentrate, natural flavors (whatever those might be), inulin, red beet juice, vitamin a palmitate, vitamin d.

there's 10 active cultures in it, listed on the back too.

It was like $2.60 for 32 oz, and my kids really liked it. I have a yogurt maker- can I just make this like yogurt? Should I buy the plain stuff, or will this work?
#2 of 3 Old 01-17-2006, 12:10 PM

wow, that's a great deal (I pay almost 4$ for organic at my fave. health food store)!! we're kefir addicts here and I use the plain in making salad dressing, smoothies, and in pancakes, ect.

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#3 of 3 Old 01-17-2006, 10:59 PM

You might want to ask about this on one of the food threads labeled "NT". I have been wondering about this stuff myself. . .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page