Non-wheat Sourdough recipe - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-27-2006, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been trying to find a 100% Spelt sourdough bread recipe on the WWW but have had no luck.

Anyone have/use one they'd like to share? I want my DP and DD to move away from yeasty bread.

I currently eat 100% Sourdough Rye that's store bought, and it's so tasty, not to mention better for me. I find I am much more satisfied with a (very thin) slice of that than I ever was with a slice of commercial bread (and I'm talking about "Country Harvest" type bread, _not_ wonder bread junk!).

I'd love to make my own sourdough Rye bread too, but I have no idea how to make it with the Rye flours available to me -- light rye flour and dark rye flour. I've always heard you have to make it with pumpernickle grind preferably (or a blend of that and regular ground whole grain rye flour) but where exactly would I get that from?! I know it has to be available around here somewhere seeing at the authentic sourdough rye that I eat is made in Toronto.

Anyway, so if anyone has a good 100% non-wheat sourdough recipe, could you please pass it along to me. I'd love ya for it

ETA: My son and I can't eat wheat, and I'd rather have a wheat-free home because it's hard to keep him away from the wheat products DD and DP eat. I just don't think it's fair for him IFYKWIM (though I try to give him our bread instead, but all he wants is Dads). Anyway I know spelt is just ancient wheat and since I already have the flour kicking around, I'd might as well try some on DS. I hope he'll be fine with it.
#2 of 3 Old 01-27-2006, 10:07 PM

"Wild Fermentation" by Sandor Katz has a method for making sourdough that he says you can use any flour (so spelt or rye should work), but he specifically says he likes to make his all rye. I would type it all in here for you, but it is long and I have a date with my DH. But I highly recommend the book if you are interested in other fermented products. If you want, I could type the recipe up for you tomorrow or Sunday.

Let me know. But it kinda sounds like you just make sourdough (if you already know how, I am embarking on this next month!) but use spelt or rye flour anywhere flour is called for.

Hope that hepls!

Elizabeth
#3 of 3 Old 01-28-2006, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah! My local library has that book. What a miracle
I've been wanting to check it out anyway. I've been wanting to get more in to fermented foods.

Thanks Elizabeth

If anyone else has any good ideas/recipes, I'd still be happy to hear them out too.
TIA

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page