NT mamas - help w/ my first whole chicken - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-28-2006, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have bought a whole chicken for the first time (free range organic and I can't wait) but I don't know what all to do with it to get the most out of it. I thought about roasting it first, then make broth with the bones to have soup with any remaining roasted meat. Any suggestions? I've never made broth before either so any help would be very appreciated.

read.gif mama to 2 dust.gifhomeschool.giftreehugger.gifsaynovax.gifRainbow.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2006, 03:31 PM

I make a roasted chicken in the slow cooker. It's awesome. Let me type out the recipe for you:

Roast Chicken

3 1/2 lb roasting chicken
2 tsp. liquid gravy browner

Brush shicken with gravy browner. Place in 5 quart slow cooker. Cook on low for 8-9 hours or on high for 4 - 4 1/2 hours.

Gravy
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
1/16 tsp pepper

1 cup chicken juice
1 tsp chicken boulion powder

Combine flour, salt and pepper in saucepan. Stir

Gradually whisk in meat juice and water until no lumps remain. Heat and stir until boiling and thickened.

Taste, adding boullion powder for more flavor if needed. Add more salt and pepper if needed.

PS. I don't know what NT means...but I hope my recipe suggestion wasnt out of line.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:16 PM
cjr

I crock pot mine too. I find it stays nice and moist and you retain the juices for stock or gravy. I just put my chicken in the crock and turn it on high. Season with a little sea salt, pepper, basil and oregano. Depending on the size it should take 5-7 hours on high. When you see all the juice and the meat is pulling off the leg bone, it's done.

We don't like gravy so much so I save the juice for stock. When dinner is over take as much meat off the bones as possible. Pour the juice in the crock into a large pot, add bones and vegetables. I keep a bag in the freezer and whenever I use onions or carrots or any other stock vegetables I stick the ends and skins in the bag. That way I'm not wasting all the good vegetables in my stock, just the stuff I wouldn't use in my cooking. Not the dirty, yucky parts but the onion skins and carrot ends...broccoli ends...end from bok choy and so on. No starch like potatoes. Cover with water and add some apple cider vinegar, let sit an hour. Bring to a boil, skim, reduce, cover and simmer for 24 hours. You can also make it in a crock pot, but you have to boil it first to be able to skim then transfer back to your crock for the night.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:33 AM

I usually make "Chicken with 40 cloves of garlic" french style. Very very yummy!

Wash the chicken and pat dry. Rub with E.V olive oil and place in baking pan. strew 2 bay leaves, 1 tbls. sage, 1 chopped sprig (or a couple teas. dried) rosemary, and many cloves of garlic (you don't have to use 40, a dozen or so will do) all over and in it. combine 1/2 c. sherry or white wine and 3 tbls. balsamic vinegar and pour over chicken. (sometimes I use only wine or only vinegar. You could probably use ACV, too) Cover with foil to seal and bake 375 degrees for 75 min. Uncover and bake 15 minutes more to brown (until thigh juices run clear). Let rest 10 minutes before serving.

This method make a wonderfully flavorful and juicy bird!
Old 01-29-2006, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I just want to pipe in that, in place of boullion cubes, you can just use fresh herbs and/or veggies in with the chicken before you start cooking it. I like mine with onions (sliced or cubed) and either garlic or ginger, carrots, and sometimes celery and a bay leaf.

I generally bake the chicken with onions and garlic and/or ginger, serve that with one meal, then take what's left of the bones and drippings, put in a big pot, add water and some more veggies and let it simmer for several hours (or overnight) for a delicious broth. Then I remove the bones before serving.

Another trick for quick tasty broths without using boullion cubes is to use vegetable juice. I use whatever veggies I have on hand (broccoli stems, carrots, celery, etc) and put them through the juicer and add the juice to the cooking water. Using enough good, natural salt (but not too much!) also increases flavor without resorting to "chemicals" that are often found in commercial boullion cubes. I usually use vegetable juice in vegetarian broths, since they don't have the bones for extra flavor.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 01-29-2006, 10:26 PM

:

I wanted to add that once I have taken the meat off the bones, I like to roast them again in the oven at about 350 for 20min or so before I put them back in the pot to make stock. It ups the flavor.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(

User Tag List