NT...are the recipes good and soaked flour question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-30-2006, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is the point of the soaked flour that is recommended in the book? Has anyone adapted any of the recipes for a bread machine?

Also, what do you think of the recipes in the book (ie are they any good)? I am a pretty picky eater, although I've managed to successfully switch to a whole foods diet. But I have heard that the recipes in the book aren't very good, and I don't want to waste my money buying it if that is the case!
#2 of 10 Old 01-30-2006, 12:22 PM

Well... I love NT, but I have to be honest that I don't always love the recipes. Most of them work well... but I've had trouble with some things being too salty like ginger carrots and root beer and ginger ale) and the chickpea stew didn't work well for me. (could be different for different people) Crispy nuts were salty and I love the sweetness of raw nuts, but then someone told me to rinse them well before drying them. I haven't tried it yet, but it makes sense.

But there's way more good stuff! We love the lemon punch and sauerkraut. I make kefir and yogurt and kombucha and fermented veggies. I always have several things sitting around fermenting or souring or soaking. I always soak my rice, oats, and beans with whey and we like that a lot. Much easier to digest. There are lots of other things that work great and I do all the time. You really have to experiment and find what works for you! I also have learned to generally adapt my cooking style. I don't always use NT recipes, but I adapt Joy of Cooking recipes to fit NT. It's not hard once you get used to it.

Now... as for baking... I love to bake, and I believe that baking is a science. The purpose of soaking flour is to break down antinutrients and make all the nutrients in the flour available for use by your body. However... scientifically, it just doesn't always work. There's a reason that you mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, or cut in cold butter, i.e. muffins and biscuits. The recipes completely loose that by mixing yogurt into flour and letting it sit. The recipes turn out fine, edible, tasting okay, but not great. : Not quite like traditional baking. Some of the flourless cakes and cookies are pretty good, though. Also other treats like rice pudding... Most of the non-baked things are really great! I have also found other recipes on the internet for NT style granola, pasta and breakfast cereal. Yummy and so easy on the tummy!

The opening chapters about nurtition are worth the price of the book! If that's all you use of it, it's worth it! I've learned how the think about food and what is best to have or not have in my kitchen. There's a lot of wisdom in NT, you just have to find your groove!
#3 of 10 Old 01-30-2006, 12:24 PM

I did NT before I went vegan years ago. I just had to answer because I thought the recipes were AWFUL. Sally Fallon is hands down the worst cook ever and has no business writing a cookbook. Hopefully some NTers will come to your rescue and offer up better options. I'm very picky and my husband is a divine cook and we couldn't do a darn thing with almost any of the recipes! Good luck!
#4 of 10 Old 01-30-2006, 03:52 PM

I agree with Rosie Kate that the nutritional info is worth the price of the book, and then some. I often go back to read it. As well, throughout the entire book there are stories and studies listed in the columns on every page that are very interesting. As for the recipes, I use some, but for the most part no, they aren't great. I didn't buy the book for the recipes though, so I consider those that I like to be a bonus. What I personally have done is adapted my own recipes to the eating principles of NT and traditional foods in general. It's not that hard if you are already used to cooking whole foods. Once you start fermenting foods, you sort of get the feel for it and may not need recipes (at least that's what I find). I still run short of new ideas, and this is where I find I mostly use the cookbook part- just to flip thru for ideas.
#5 of 10 Old 01-30-2006, 03:56 PM

Search for some of the NT threads. There are monthly threads, as well as a new meal planning one. Many of us make the recipes work. They're a good guide to get started. Now I can go less by the book and adapt other recipes to work. I personally have had success with the soaked flour recipes. Others have not. But I also now use sprouted flour to use with recipes without soaking and even the bread machine.

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#6 of 10 Old 01-31-2006, 12:56 AM

This the point of soaking grains and nuts: http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/be_kind.html

Eating whole grains and nuts with the phytates intact inhibits digestive enzymes and binds to minerals impairing their utilization by the body.

I haven't really used many complex recipes from the book, the veggie ferments have gone well for the most part. Simple recipes have been good so far.

By far NT is most useful for the extensive nutritional information, it's really 2 books in 1.
#7 of 10 Old 01-31-2006, 02:15 AM

I have made excellent dishes from some of the recipes! Some great soups, salads, beans, rice, breakfasts, deserts, meats, ice cream.. It's a great book to have. Sometimes things may not turn out quite right because of using poor quality of ingredients-not how they were intended.
It also helps sometimes if you understand cooking enough so that you can adjust to your own tastes.
#8 of 10 Old 01-31-2006, 02:20 AM

For anyone with only so-so results using NT recipes, I suggest Fallon and Enig's Eat Fat Lose Fat. We have had great success with many of those recipes. Of course, if you don't like coconut, it won't be for you, as most use coconut milk. But some of dh's favorites come from there!

#9 of 10 Old 01-31-2006, 09:23 AM

Yitlan-is it dairy free, or just lots of coconut? We can't do dairy, but use a TON of coconut oil and milk. I buy coconut oil every other month in a 9 pound tub. We love it! I'd be willing to try it out if the recipes were good... I could always sub for the dairy-just curious.
#10 of 10 Old 01-31-2006, 01:57 PM

Just going on memory, but the coconut section doesn't use much dairy. Now there's a more NT section that might have dairy. But the coconut section uses mostly coconut oil, coconut milk, coconut cream, etc. There might be some with dairy, but I can't think of any recipes with diary off hand. You can see a sampling of recipes here:
http://www.eatfatlosefat.com/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page