NT February Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 334 Old 02-06-2006, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hello ladies, I was just gone for a few days and already there is 3 pages!

I had some very big scores at the heatlh food stores!

Raw honey, yipee!!

Organic valley butter- recommended off the realmilk site!

Naturally fermented soy sauce!

Redmond Sea Salt

Wild Salmon

OH and the biggest of all I think I have found a source of goats milk!!!!! YIPPPEEE!!!

So, slowly but surely I am getting converted! Right now I only have the good oils; coconut, butter, and evoo. I have only been using honey as a sweetner. Although, I do have white sugar for dh's tea, he has tried the stevia, but not much luck.

I love the food pyramid. I don't know how balanced we eat according to NT, however we are trying to replace the bad foods with good.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 334 Old 02-06-2006, 09:53 AM

I'm at the same place you are, wrt NT. I don't think I'll ever be all the way there but I'm sure even the changes I'm making will help. I made whole wheat buttermilk pancakes this morning and have cornmeal soaking in one bowl and bread flour for dh's lunch sandwiches in another. The pancakes are great! DS ate them plain or with blueberries on them.
I also scored big at the market yesterday. They just started carrying a line of dairy from grass fed cows. I got a 1/2 gallon of buttermilk in a glass jar that I had to pay a deposit on! It's awesome!
Suzy

: mama to 4 boys
: : :
#63 of 334 Old 02-06-2006, 10:50 AM

I use Nutiva exclusively...I get it in 9 pound tubs from my coop. I won't tell you how often I have to get it. My favorite is the Garden of Life coconut oil, and even though I have just started carrying their products I still can't afford it. Tropical Traditions coconut cream concentrate is also one of my very favorite special treats. You're doing fine with nutiva though. I also wish I could share We keep bees and I have about 90 pounds of raw honey. We just centrifuged it about month ago and now it's just sitting here. I wish I had more people who appreciated it around here. I made my first bone broth yesterday. It smells divine! I only had marrow bones, so I was worried, but I think it'll be fine. Any news on the coconut milk yogurt? I can't wait!
#64 of 334 Old 02-06-2006, 01:05 PM

I'm patiently waiting for my NT book to arrive(it should be here any day now). However, I am wanting to get to a Whole Foods Market that is about an
hour and a half away from me to make a one time shopping trip, and I am hoping to do that either Tues or Wed. I am wondering if anyone would be willing to help with a few questions.

1). Coconut oil. I'm really interested in this. What exactly am I looking for when I buy this? Like(unrefined, refined, etc.--I just saw those terms on a website, not sure what it all means).

2). Cod liver oil...is there a certain brand? I hate fish, does it actually taste like fish or can you buy it in capsules? Again, what would I look for for this?

3). Wheat...I hear people talking about soaking their grains. Are you buying regular whole wheat flour or is it something else? It is something I could find at Whole Foods Market?

4). Honey. Do you just look for it to say raw?

5). Prices...how much could I expect to pay for the above products? I realize each store is probably different, but how do I know if I'm getting ripped off or if it's a decent price?

Being that Whole Foods is a good hour and a half away, I'd love to be able to not have to make another trip there super soon, so if I could get the correct things now, it would be super helpful to me.

Thank you to anyone willing to answer any/all of the above questions.

Blessings, Sara

Homeschooling Mama to 6. Waiting for baby #7 to arrive mid September.
#65 of 334 Old 02-06-2006, 01:08 PM

thanks for the great advice on the food pyramid. I am going to tell my parents more about it. They have tried doing all the fad diets under the sun. If someone comes out with a book about a new diet, my mom is the biggest sucker to go buy it. They were told to do south beach after my dad had stints put into his heart with a 99% blockage. Hes lucky he didnt have a heart attack. I am constantly worried about my heart because of the family history of heart problems (2 grandparents dying because of heart attack/stroke, brother born and died from heart defect) and the family history of diabetes. I often feel flutters in my heart, but I think it is more due to my asthma. So I really want to help my body out as much as possible to keep it healthy.

Also with the talk of honey, we have a lot of great honey here in Iowa. Does anyone have any info on using it for its medicinal properities? I have heard that it is great to use during seasonal allergy time when you are using local honey. Also what can you tell me about honey that is still on the comb? My ds says that he used to get it when he was younger and eat it. He wants me to pick up some at the HFS, but they only have it seasonally.
#66 of 334 Old 02-06-2006, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Sara, I will try to answer some of your questions. There are smarter, better informed people here, so hopefully, they will add their two cents!

Honey: Look for raw, unheated honey. It might also say local, but should NOT say pasteurized.

Coconut oil: should be extra-virgin, preferably organic. Might also say pure, but can be pure CO, and not be extra-virgin.

Cod liver oil: Carlson's is great! Doesn't taste fishy (and I really am picky, can't stand anything fishy), and comes in flavors for those of us who need a little more help getting it down the hatch.

Prices: I pay $15.50/ 1/2 gallon for EVCO, about $12 / 1/2 gallon raw, local honey, and about $15 for 16 oz. of CLO.

I think there is quite a bit of variation for said products, depending where you purchase them. If you can get your honey from a local beekeeper, you might save money. If you can get your oils through a co-op (as I do with my EVCO), it will lower the cost on that, as well.

Check online for your oils, too, as you may be able to take advantage of sales.
#67 of 334 Old 02-06-2006, 11:45 PM
RAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saramomofmany
1). Coconut oil.

2). Cod liver oil...

3). Wheat...I hear people talking about soaking their grains.

4). Honey. Do you just look for it to say raw?

5). Prices...how much could I expect to pay for the above products? I realize each store is probably different, but how do I know if I'm getting ripped off or if it's a decent price?
Let's see if I can help with some of these questions...
1) I have been to whole foods in CA and OR, and they don't carry decent coconut oil, IMO. But I am kind of picky. I only like the unheated, centrifuged, non-deodorized stuff like you buy from wilderness family naturals or coconut oil supreme. I have used the stuff from whole foods, Spectrum I think, and it is kind of ick to me. It has been really processed to remove all the smell and taste of coconut for the most part. You can order the other brands online.

2)For cod liver oil, I would try to get Garden of Life or order online at http://www.greenpasture.org/ They also sell good coconut oil as well. I have heard that Carlson's now removes some of the vitamins from their product because of all the health scares about synthetic vitamin A. Oh and green pastures has many different flavors to choose from and sells capsules as well.

3)I don't eat wheat, but I soak regular flour from the store.

4)For honey, even if it says raw, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is unheated or that all the enzymes are intact. I usually have to call the company/beekeeper and ask how high do you heat your honey? Truly raw honey hasn't been heated above like, I think, it is 79 degrees F. Also, it is important to find out about their bee keeping practices. they should feed the bees their own honey during the winter instead of a sugar water solution, and it is also recommended that you find someone who does not drug the bees when they move them. Anyway, I am just repeating what I learned while being a raw foodist. All of that might not matter to everyone.

As for price, I am not sure I remember what it all costs. The coconut oil I buy (wilderness family naturals) is like 9 dollars a jar, but I don't use much of it at all. You can see the price of the cod liver oil at that website I posted. I believe I figured out that it was cheaper in the long run to order the high vitamin stuff and pay shipping, than it was to buy Carlson's at the health food store, since it is pricey and you have to take more of it. And for honey, it varies widely. Anyway, this is just my opinion, so take it or leave it, and I hope it helps you some.
#68 of 334 Old 02-07-2006, 12:06 AM

For coconut oil, Wilderness Familiy Naturals or http://www.tropicaltraditions.com. Their quality is excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF
2)For cod liver oil, I would try to get Garden of Life or order online at http://www.greenpasture.org/ They also sell good coconut oil as well. I have heard that Carlson's now removes some of the vitamins from their product because of all the health scares about synthetic vitamin A. Oh and green pastures has many different flavors to choose from and sells capsules as well.
I agree. I've heard some questioning about the quality of Carlson's. I recommend the same company mentioned above. Try the cinnamon! I can't believe how much better it is than the mint I've been using. But remember, this is FISH oil. You just gotta accept it's gonna be a little fishy. They also sell capsules, though. I recently turned a friend onto CLO and it's worked wonders for her son's eczema. They ran out of the stuff I gave them (and then the eczema returned) and got some Carlson's. She said she couldn't believe how different it was from ours. More watery and didn't help them much. As soon as she got another bottle from me, he cleared up again!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#69 of 334 Old 02-07-2006, 12:16 AM

I use the Nutiva EVCO...and for oils..I am not taking any. I tried the Garden of Life Oil and it was gross...lemon mint is not a flavor I like I guess and you can't mix it with anything...I will have to try the carlsons...
#70 of 334 Old 02-07-2006, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

cobluegirl, why can't you mix it with anything? I love to mix my CLO in a smoothie or with my green foods powder. Just curious, here! Thanks.
#71 of 334 Old 02-07-2006, 02:01 AM

What is the scoop on Nordic Naturals in terms of quality and Vitamin A etc.?
#72 of 334 Old 02-07-2006, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmommy
cobluegirl, why can't you mix it with anything? I love to mix my CLO in a smoothie or with my green foods powder. Just curious, here! Thanks.

oh I just mean that for me...the lemon mint didn't go well when mixed with anything..would need to be a different flavor.

I thought Nordic Naturals was a good CLO brand.....
#73 of 334 Old 02-07-2006, 04:35 AM

Rebekah,

I'm intrigued on the liver smoothies. Black cherry. hmm. That's got to be an improvement over liver and onions.

So, I've got some frozen pieces in the freezer. Do I get an electric knife to chop them up? What do you recommend for liver management?

Welcome back and welcome to the rest of the ladies. This is a growing community.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#74 of 334 Old 02-07-2006, 05:20 AM

mmmm... that Nutiva EVCO is so good. I had got the Spectrum CO before and though it was ok, but now that I've had the Nutiva I have put the spectrum inthe bathroom for my skin. The Nutiva is way better, they might have it at Whole Foods or you might be able to request it (thought that would require going back).

I finally got rolled oats again, but now I'm concerned about my saoking bowls. I have a nice glass bowl i use for a single batch, but for a larger batch I have to use a stainless steel bowl. Is that ok? Could I use a wide mouth gallon jar?

Dp is going to get Empenada and Tamale supplies tomorrow- i can't wait.

baby waking up gotta go.

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#75 of 334 Old 02-07-2006, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
What is the scoop on Nordic Naturals in terms of quality and Vitamin A etc.?
I don't know if this will help, but from what I've read, the vit A and D in NN is naturally occuring, not removed or synthetic.

My hfs also recommended another brand called New Roots Herbal, and their vitamins are naturally occuring as well. So far these are the 2 brands available in Canada that seem to measure up IMO. There might be more, but I am still researching.

Some exciting local news: I heard on CBC radio the other day that the fishing community in Creighton (Denare Beach) SK is now researching the possibility of marketing a fish called the Burbot (aka the mariah or lawyer fish) that is generally caught in nets with other freshwater fish, but left on the ice for animals to scavenge since it is not typically marketed for meat. The marked would be for it's oil, which apparently has a much higher concentration of Vit. D than CLO and other fish oils.

One more thing- had to share- the kids and I went to the dentist yesterday and we are all still cavity free! :
One concern I have though- I tend to get a buildup of plaque (doesn't help that it was ages since my last cleaning) but they said that it's genetic. They also said that ds#1 had an unusual amount of plaque for a kid. We brush the recommended 2x/day, but are lazy about flossing. They said flossing would help, but does anyone else have any recommendations? Does N&PD say anything about plaque?
#76 of 334 Old 02-07-2006, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonicmama

I finally got rolled oats again, but now I'm concerned about my saoking bowls. I have a nice glass bowl i use for a single batch, but for a larger batch I have to use a stainless steel bowl. Is that ok? Could I use a wide mouth gallon jar?
Those all sound fine to me!

Just a suggestion: Have you ever tried steel cut oats or scottish-style oatmeal? I think they hold their oils better than rolled oats, so they tend to be fresher. IMO they are very tasty.
#77 of 334 Old 02-07-2006, 03:57 PM

For those in Canada--I've seen this link before for good quality cod liver oil in Canada. http://www.feelgreatsupplements.ca/p...hp?p=7056?w=42
Hope that helps someone.

Um, I tried the raw liver before in orange juice. It wasn't a big deal, and I didn't die! I'm just not able to get good fresh liver very often.

FYI- The Oriental salad dressing recipe in NT is very yummy.
#78 of 334 Old 02-07-2006, 07:58 PM

I have tried scottish style oats, but not soaked. never tired steel cut, but I was looking at them at the HFS just the other day thinking "what do you do with those?" Any cooking directions? Do they take much longer to cook than regular oats?

I finally freecycled some good size jars (not gall. but someone is dropping off some gallons tonite) and started my first batch of Kombucha this morning. I can't wait till its done.

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#79 of 334 Old 02-07-2006, 08:36 PM

Hello All!

I'm an NT newbie. I've been a vegetarian for 6 years, but began craving meat during this pregnancy. I happened across WAP and it made so much sense to me. (Thanks very much to a nutritionally minded mother!). I have the NT book. I've started using butter (not a difficult transition!), and obviously eating some grass fed beef. My daughter drinks raw goat milk (trying to get her eczema to go away). I have read the cow/goat milk info, so perhaps switching to raw cow's milk is in the cards. I seem to be having the most difficulty with just getting started on a basic meal plan. I just don't feel like I'm grasping the "whole picture" so to speak. Anyone have any pointers to help me get a little further down the road?
#80 of 334 Old 02-07-2006, 08:48 PM

Hi Sarah, I just wanted to say to try cod liver oil for the eczema. I have a friend whose son stopped having outbreaks when he's on it (make sure it's good quality. Try http://www.greenpasture.org).

As for getting the whole picture, it takes time. Reading NT is a good start. Also, reading the WAP website. Finally, I have Eat Fat, Lose Fat by Fallon and Enig. I give it out and suggest one chapter in there as a primer for traditional diets. But really, just living and learning as you go! Welcome to this brave, brave world!

#81 of 334 Old 02-07-2006, 09:42 PM

I have to say the cinnamon flavor from greenpastures.org is the best too. I don't really detect any fishy taste. I don't mind taking it off the spoon, and my 14 mo dd asks for more!! Now the butter oil is a different story.

Tropical traditions CO is awesome and their cream concentrate is a great treat spread on toast or mixed with maple syrup for a dip for waffels or stuff.

Has anyone ever tried the Really Raw honey? IT was sooo good and creamy, but quite expensive. I got it from Grain and Salt Society.

So I have been feeding my cats a raw diet for a couple of months now. I finally stopped buying dry food, but still have to mix a spoonful of wet canned food in with the raw for them. They will eat raw ground turkey or cut up chicken until the plate is licked clean. But with my grassfed local ground beef one of them is still puking everytime she eats it. And she only eats a small amount and the other one (who eats anything) doesn't really like it either. I am wondering why beef would affect them this way and not chicken or turkey? Do they need more enzymes for the beef? I am racking my brain trying to come up with a reason. Anyone have any ideas or light to share?

Oh and I bought some Chollera (can't spell right now ) and now am unsure if I should take it or not. I have lots of fillings in my teeth and I think that is contributing to my candida symptoms. I am wondering if taking it will just leach out more mercury from my fillings or maybe help clear some out of my body. It is so confusing on whether to take them out, leave them in or how to deal with them.
#82 of 334 Old 02-07-2006, 11:29 PM

Wow, this thread is hoppin'!

Sorry to disappear like that. I did get the recipe for liver dumplings, but it was one of those "I don't know the exact amounts, I guess it's about X amount" recipes. I'm going to try it out tomorrow night and adjust accordingly. Then I'll post it up for ya'll.

Glad to have so many newbies! The more the merrier! I saw a question in there for getting started...I just made a new adjustment once a week, and voila! Here I am, still in the midst of adjusting things (although with less frequency).

Adding yet another question to the mix...what type of vinegar do you use in your recipes? Distilled white? ACV? Basalmic? I haven't found in NT where the different types are discussed and tend to use ACV when vinegar is called for, but perhaps that's not the best choice.

Momma to the monkeys three
#83 of 334 Old 02-07-2006, 11:40 PM

Re: Nordic Naturals
I used to give it to my DD, but checked out the vitamin D content and it's really low. I mean, really low. So I'm switching brands since I need the vitamin D in our climate. I'm taking Carlson's right now but it's kinda hard to get a gelcap into DD. I've been poking them open and squeezing them out but she doesn't like it much.
#84 of 334 Old 02-07-2006, 11:57 PM

Vinegar: I use ACV in my broths. But that's the only time I use vinegar. Oh...salad dressings. My mom made me some garlic vinegar so that's what we use now in our dressings.

#85 of 334 Old 02-08-2006, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticat
Oh and I bought some Chollera (can't spell right now ) and now am unsure if I should take it or not. I have lots of fillings in my teeth and I think that is contributing to my candida symptoms. I am wondering if taking it will just leach out more mercury from my fillings or maybe help clear some out of my body. It is so confusing on whether to take them out, leave them in or how to deal with them.
Chlorella?

Andrew Hall Cutler says it increases the damage mercury in your body does to you by redistributing it b/c it's not a true chelator, it doesn't bond very tightly:

http://onibasu.com/archives/am/402.html

http://home.earthlink.net/~moriam/
#86 of 334 Old 02-08-2006, 12:15 AM

Re: Nordic Naturals CLO

Yes, the fact that it's very low in A & D makes it only half useful.

When I use this b/c I run out of the other stuff I get online, I supplement with Carlson's natural (from clo) A & D pills.
#87 of 334 Old 02-08-2006, 12:43 AM

oh, I just wanted to pass some info, I know most mommas here are informed, but thought I would put this out there anyway. I have been calling around to several places to try and find raw goats milk. More than one person I have talked to listed on the realmilk site basically told me that they put pasture raised on their listing because it is what people want right now, regardless of how much pasture they actually eat. One lady told me the people in her area didn't even know what pasture was anyhow. Also, a beekeeper a friend talked to told her that many beekeepers he knows add sugar to the honey to stretch it. Just more reasons to make sure you know your supplier!!!

here are our costs for things around here;
raw honey 3.5 lb (from the beekeeper) 4.5 lb (from the store)
free range chicken 2.50 lb (or 2.25 if you bag you own on butchering day)
raw goat milk 5-6 gallon
coconut oil $15-32 oz (from tropical traditions)

on starting doing NT. We are no where near all "NT" here, but am trying to make improvements slow and steady. Here are some things to look at:

1) CUT OUT Hydrogenated fats!!! use butter-from grassfed animals preferably, coconut oil. evoo. I think SF even recommends lard and some other fats as well
2) CUT OUT WHITE SUGAR!!! Use raw honey, molasses, stevia and other natural alternatives. Try to use less sweetners period. Let your body learn to love the sweetness of fruit. Strictly avoid high fructose corn syrup.
3) CUT OUT WHITE FLOUR!!! Find some whole grain flour, soak your flour when you do use it and try to cut back on grains.
4) Add more fruits and veggies, preferrably in-season, local, and organic, but we do the best we can with what we have and can find !! Experiment with different veggie dishes, find many ways to eat them. We love smoothies with greens here (haven't been brave enough for raw liver smoothies )
5) Take CLO many ladies have already recommended good brands
6) Try some different fermented foods. Yogurt is pretty easy to make and so good for you.
7) Try and find a source for raw pasture fed dairy products
8) Make bone broths once a week

That's all I can think of for now....sure I am forgetting something big... Again I am new at this myself, but am trying to focus on one area at a time. I think the NT food pyramid that Jane and others posted earlier in the thread is very helpful as well.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#88 of 334 Old 02-08-2006, 01:11 AM

Nordic Naturals:

This is a good choice in some circumstances because the A and D are naturally occuring and if you need to megadose as is therapeutic for some conditions, you will not OD on A or D. For depression, the generally accepted therapeutic dose is about 4 grams of EPA a day. Do the math on that with some of the high vitamin CLOs. Yikes. (and yikes on the pocketbook regardless.)

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#89 of 334 Old 02-08-2006, 01:16 AM

Healing Diseases

What have you all worked on healing through this diet? A number of us talk about our PPD here and there. What else? Just curious.

My husband is working on depression and asthma. We know he is magnesium deficient but that takes a while to correct. I expect he has a host of other issues but he has not been the most commited person at all times.

#90 of 334 Old 02-08-2006, 01:52 AM

Healing the thyroid was the main reason I started down the NT path.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page