Quoted: 0 Post(s)
subbing - back later to comment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2006, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Two weeks since I sent "the email" to my parents about cholesterol myths.

Not a word back!
Old 02-09-2006, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selu Gigage
I am back (with a vengence!) because I was recently dx'd with hypothyriodism due to Hashimoto's and I have an extremely high platelet count (which could be indicative of the thyriod disorder or something separate). I know this is a healing way of eating, and healing is what I am looking for.
welcome back!

I seem to remember Momtezuma Tuatara posting about her thyroid problems a while back in Vaccinations and what she did about them... maybe you can search around?
Old 02-09-2006, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saramomofmany
Ok, so I also picked up something, I think it was called wheat berries. Now do I need to grind those and make flour out of them? Or did I get the wrong thing? I was wanting to get the thing that you would grind into fresh flour and then soak!

Sara
Yep, that is the right thing! Just grind it up if you are wanting to make a bread type thing. Or you can sprout the berries as well.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory maker
I have noticed there to be a difference in color of the butter my mom gets from a local dairy by her (4 hrs south of me) compared to our dairy. Our butter is very bright yellow. Theirs is almost white. What makes the difference and is one better than the other?
At my last farm I went to, they had 2 milking cows. Both had the same diet, etc. But one cow's cream made much deeper yellow butter than the other. So, Sometimes it just depends on the animal and it's health.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:20 AM
RAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by lao80
I don't like Tropical Traditions CO. I like their coconut concentrate and all their dried coconut but the CO has a bad after taste. I hate it. We usually had Jarrows from HF and love it but I got the TT because it was a good deal. Bleh. What a waste. I have two 32oz jars. I've been trying to bake with it because everything else it ruins.
I read that tropical traditions actually ferments their coconut to extract the oil, whereas wilderness family naturals and coconut oil supreme are centrifuged oils without any fermentation. I think the taste of fermented coconut might not agree with me either.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:24 AM
RAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selu Gigage
I am going to purchase some X Factor Butter Oil and some new cod liver oil too. I am looking at Radiant Life or Green Pastures. Does anyone prefer one vender or product over another? How about the Blue Ice CLO? Wado!

Hello,

I have never purchased x factor butter oil, but I have read that the two vendors are selling the same product. I could be wrong, but I think radiant life is distributing the green pastures products. Also the blue ice clo is what I use, and it is great. The mint flavor, however, is nasty!
Old 02-10-2006, 12:28 AM
RAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero
I always get headaches from sourdough bread, along with the usual migraine triggers-msg, red wine, aspartame. I bought some cultured buttermilk and used it in some oatmeal and flour soaking for bread. I've had more headaches than usual lately. Can't find any food triggers in my diet, other than the buttermilk.
Do you have any ideas about whether or not fermenting will cause more headaches? Most mainstream info says fermented foods are triggers.
thoughts?
Suzy
I get headaches from fermented foods. It is a drag. It happens particularly with aged cheese. Also, I know many folks who used to get many headaches but did not get any more or not as many after going gluten free. Sometimes dairy itself is the culprit. Anyway, I hope you figure it out.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:36 AM
RAF

Quote:
Ok, I bought Raw honey!! Whoo hooo!! It's called Really Raw Honey. It includes cappings(as described on the jar...honeycomb, pollen and propolis), it says they help naturally seal in the wonderful aroma and flavor of the hive. On to my question. Do we eat that part or not?? Thanks, sara
We used to eat that part of the honey. Now, unfortunately our honey is run through a filter, so we don't get all that good stuff in it.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAF
Hello,

I have never purchased x factor butter oil, but I have read that the two vendors are selling the same product. I could be wrong, but I think radiant life is distributing the green pastures products. Also the blue ice clo is what I use, and it is great. The mint flavor, however, is nasty!
Good to know! Thank you!
Old 02-10-2006, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
welcome back!

I seem to remember Momtezuma Tuatara posting about her thyroid problems a while back in Vaccinations and what she did about them... maybe you can search around?
Good stuff, thanks, Jane, I will do a search for that one.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:29 PM

well I am trying my first crack at soaking flour. I am soaking to make the basic muffin recipe in the NT book for breakfast tomorrow. Anyone else tried this recipe? I am thinking of putting blueberries in them before cooking.

When soaking flours how much liquid do you need to use with each cup of flour to make it work? Is there a certain ratio? I was wanting to make some homemade noodles but the recipe I have calls for very little liquid. Does anyone have a better one that they have used when soaking?

For breakfast this morning I made eggs and cooked them with butter instead of EVOO. I was surprised how much better they tasted.
I really am enjoying the fact that I am having to do more planning ahead with what we are eating. Before it would be almost dinner time and I would have no idea. This is making me have to plan ahead, which makes shopping easier too!

just thought I would add that today is day 1 of no sugar. I am going to eat fruits right now, but that is the only kind. I really need to get rid of this yeast that keeps coming back in me and dds. Today hasnt been too bad...so far. we'll see how it goes
Old 02-10-2006, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory maker
well I am trying my first crack at soaking flour. I am soaking to make the basic muffin recipe in the NT book for breakfast tomorrow. Anyone else tried this recipe? I am thinking of putting blueberries in them before cooking.
I've made them before. I really don't care for NT baking, but I compromise and do it about half the time because I know it's healthier. In my experience, the muffins didn't rise well, were a little bland, and were very sticky and a little too moist. After two days, they started to get a little slimey. There pretty yummy fresh out of the oven with lots of butter. So now, if I make them, I only bake as many as we can eat in a day, and put the rest of the batter into the fridge. I do the same thing with NT pancakes (which are actually VERY yummy, but pancakes are more forgiving than muffins).
Old 02-10-2006, 06:05 PM

I have read on several NT type email groups that people don't necessarily use the recipes in NT to cook...so my question is, are there any other cookbooks that you would recommend that would have healthy, NT style cooking? If that makes any sense!

Thanks, Sara

Homeschooling Mama to 6. Waiting for baby #7 to arrive mid September.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:33 PM

Eat Fat, Lose Fat by Fallon and Enig. We have some favorits that come from there. And after awhile you can use other cookbooks and either identify what is NT friendly or make it NT friendly yourself!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
Old 02-10-2006, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yitlan
And after awhile you can use other cookbooks and either identify what is NT friendly or make it NT friendly yourself!
OK, I have a question about this to yitlan or any other mamas that want to answer it. My question is about making recipes NT friendly. Can you automatically just substitute good things for the bad things? Ex: say it calls for veg. oil, can I substitute coconut oil or butter? What about flour...will it change the recipe if I use flour I soak first? I guess what I'm curious about it what things are interchangeable?

Thanks so much. Sara

Homeschooling Mama to 6. Waiting for baby #7 to arrive mid September.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:45 PM
RAF

Quote:
Can you automatically just substitute good things for the bad things? Ex: say it calls for veg. oil, can I substitute coconut oil or butter? What about flour...will it change the recipe if I use flour I soak first? I guess what I'm curious about it what things are interchangeable?

We pretty much just substitute things. Like we use the high quality, pastured meats and better fats and oils. We substitute for sugar, we use honey, rapadura or maple syrup instead. With baked goods with flour it is a bit more tricky, but we are gluten free so what we do with flour is probably different than what we would do with glutenous baked goods. Usually, we see how much liquid is already in the recipe and see if it is enough to soak the flour with. If not, then it doesn't seem right to me to soak the flour and possibly end up with soggy baked goods. In the past I have soaked whole grains, then dried them in my oven on low and ground them when I needed flour and just proceed as normal with the recipe. Also I have done this with sprouted grains too. Just dry the sprouts and grind them into flour as needed for a recipe.

If the recipe calls for an icky oil that we don't use, we will use olive oil, coconut oil, ghee or palm oil instead, and it seems to come out great for us. Anyway, I find that there are alot of NT compatible recipes out there with just a few substitutions. Any recipe with basic whole foods ingredients, IMO can easily be NTified. Oh and we tend to convert "low fat" recipes to high fat recipes by using dark meat instead of skinless chicken breasts or just using more fatty meats rather than meat trimmed of all the good fat, etc. Anyway, hope some of this helps!
Old 02-10-2006, 09:50 PM

Let's see....I cannot substitute soaked flour in "regular" recipes (I am not an expert baker), but can sub sprouted flour. But in general, yes, just sub good for bad, such as
coconut oil for other oils
butter for margarine or some oils
rapadura for sugar and even brown sugar
real bone broth instead of powder and water
my own spice mixes instead of prepackaged
sprouted tortillas for regular
soaked/cooked beans for canned

Some others pay pop into my mind, but that's all I can think of for now!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
Old 02-10-2006, 11:28 PM

I do a lot of substituting..also check out www.suegregg.com she has a great set of cookbooks that are full of NT friendly recipes...I don't have them yet but I have a sample one...I want them..lol

OT: anyone use mozilla and thunderbird and good at computers?? I need help....I lost info..I think....
Old 02-11-2006, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

My goodness, this thread has been hoppin! I've been busy with a painting project, actually still am not finished, so I've been away from the computer this week. I'm taking a break, as I need to decide on my paint color a little more firmly.

I'm on day 24 of maker's diet. Going pretty well. I don't have sugar cravings like I used to, which is a major praise for me! That was a big part of what I wanted to achieve. I will say, I'm very thankful that I can now include sourdough or sprouted grain breads again. I've missed them.

My experience with the color of the butter is that cows will naturally produce different colored butter at different points of their lactation. Part of it is what they are eating. Part of it is just the cow. Part of it is how long they've been lactating. Immediately after a cow freshens (calves), she will produce very yellow butter; as she gets further into lactation, it gets lighter and lighter. I've seen this over and over in both grain-fed and grass-fed cows, with Jerseys, Guernseys, and Holsteins. I grew up with grass-fed butter (we've always had a Guernsey), and have worked in several different dairies, so I've seen a few cows over the years!

Inspired by the sourdough thread, I'm attempting to make a sourdough starter. I think my house is too cold, though, as it's not really doing anything yet. I put it in the warmest room in my house tonight, and I'll see what it looks like tomorrow. When I say it's cold, I mean that this morning when I got up, it was only about 52 degrees; this afternoon, I think it warmed to about 65 degrees. We really keep our heat turned down, as it's too expensive to set the thermostat much higher than that.

I'm also making my first batch of soaked flour muffins tomorrow. I've got the flour soaking as we speak, so it should be interesting to see how they turn out. However, I didn't use the NT recipe, I am using my own, and will just see what happens!
Old 02-11-2006, 12:57 AM

Quote:
I have read on several NT type email groups that people don't necessarily use the recipes in NT to cook...so my question is, are there any other cookbooks that you would recommend that would have healthy, NT style cooking? If that makes any sense!

Thanks, Sara
Maybe we should start a recommended reading list and include other cookbooks that we've found to fall in line with NT practices? I have actually been searching the past NT threads for recommended titles, as I have a friend who is interested in NT, and I'm trying to find some books to give to her to help make it as simple as possible.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boadicea
Maybe we should start a recommended reading list and include other cookbooks that we've found to fall in line with NT practices? I have actually been searching the past NT threads for recommended titles, as I have a friend who is interested in NT, and I'm trying to find some books to give to her to help make it as simple as possible.
sounds like a great idea! I would love to have a list. I'll go start a thread for it.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:09 AM

wow....I used a hand grain mill this afternoon for some of my wheat berries....I could give up my gym arm workout if I did that everyday..I want an electric one..lol the kids like the hand one...even though they have to put their whole body into it..hehe
Old 02-11-2006, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl
I do a lot of substituting..also check out www.suegregg.com she has a great set of cookbooks that are full of NT friendly recipes...I don't have them yet but I have a sample one...I want them..lol

OT: anyone use mozilla and thunderbird and good at computers?? I need help....I lost info..I think....
I just posted about her cookbooks in the reading selection thread. EVerything I have tried out of there has been good thus far.

OH, and as far as making recipes NT I have some great low-fat cookbooks that I just love to make nice and fatty

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 02-11-2006, 04:47 AM

LOL...totally with you...pile on the EVO and butter!!
Old 02-11-2006, 05:02 PM

Anyone tried this...

Organic unrefined coconut oil from Mountain Rose Herbs at $28/gallon?!

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/cgi...025454&BID=713

see products, carrier oils, then at bottom of page

(this is the "Mothering gets 10% of order" link)
Old 02-11-2006, 06:51 PM

Quick report to say if anyone would like a rooster, he’s up for grabs until sometime tomorrow. Frederick went with me today to let the chickens out and we stepped about 10 feet from the house to give them room to exit. The rooster made a bee line to him and attacked. The rooster met my swift leg instead. He lunged a couple of more times specifically at Frederick and we ended up scrapping. He didn’t draw blood but I was at a bit of a disadvantage holding a screaming almost-4-year-old. I invited my dad up tomorrow for lunch. He’s a good shot. I don’t want to try to catch this guy. He’s very aggressive and missed his life’s calling as a fighting cock.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 02-12-2006, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
Quick report to say if anyone would like a rooster, he’s up for grabs until sometime tomorrow. Frederick went with me today to let the chickens out and we stepped about 10 feet from the house to give them room to exit. The rooster made a bee line to him and attacked. The rooster met my swift leg instead. He lunged a couple of more times specifically at Frederick and we ended up scrapping. He didn’t draw blood but I was at a bit of a disadvantage holding a screaming almost-4-year-old. I invited my dad up tomorrow for lunch. He’s a good shot. I don’t want to try to catch this guy. He’s very aggressive and missed his life’s calling as a fighting cock.

(((HUGS)))
We had this happen with a rooster we had growing up. I don't know why the things are so mean. Mom killed it with a ski poll (that is what we had next to the door to keep him back) and then dropped a brick on its head just to make sure.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:48 AM

I've thought about finding him another home, but I am afraid I would get clobbered trying to move him. Too many variables. I just tucked the girls and boy in for the night. It's sad, but I spent today worrying that he was going to attack again while we were out pruning trees and cutting flowers.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 02-12-2006, 03:03 AM

((HUGS)) I remember that all too well...been attacked several times....

User Tag List