NT February Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 334 Old 02-01-2006, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, hopefully everyone will see this and post here, as I'm no good at getting a link in my post!

cobluegirl: thanks! It's been a lot of work to change my thoughts about what I'm eating. I thought I was doing really well, but I'm amazed at how much more raw and fresh I'm eating simply by following the plan. I don't think that it's the beginning and the end of it all, but the plan has helped me realize one of my goals, that is to really cut down on the processed and refined foods in my diet. The weight loss is just a nice reward. It wasn't my main goal. I wanted to eat more fresh and raw, to get out of the sugar rut, and cut back on the amount of food in general that I eat. Well, I'm not achieving that last thing, but the others are coming along very nicely. Plus, I felt like this was probably the best way for me to get there while still nursing. I'd love to do a really good fast and cleanse, but I'm not comfortable doing that while Bfing.

So, thanks for reading my novel! And happy February everyone! Can't believe it's already the second month of 2006!
#2 of 334 Old 02-01-2006, 06:03 PM

Thanks GardenMommy for starting the thread!!
#3 of 334 Old 02-02-2006, 01:05 AM

EAT FAT LOSE FAT PHONE SEMINAR with Sally Fallon and Dr. Mary Enig live
Thursday, Feb 2, 2006 - 9:00 PM EST
================================================== ==============

Please join us Thursday night as we learn about what fats are healthy and why with authors Sally Fallon and Dr Mary Enig. We will also be talking about timeless principles emphasizing traditional-nutrient dense foods.

Access Information to our next phone seminar scheduled for February 2, 2006 is as follows:

Time: 9:00 PM EST - Please adjust the time to your time zone

Date: Thursday, February 2, 2005

Phone Number: 1-620-782-8800 (Kansas)

Access Code When Prompted: 754075

Remember, the calls are free (except long distance charges), we mute out the background noise. So grab a cup of tea and a notebook and enjoy some continuing education for moms.

The question time is limited, so please send your questions ahead of time to: urbanhome@tds.net ahead of time.

If you wish to be notified of future phone seminars email me at marilyn@urbanhomemaker.com"
#4 of 334 Old 02-02-2006, 02:46 AM

I tried to go on the phone seminar and the code wouldn't work for me. Anyone else have this problem? I was so bummed. its the first one i've actually been able to do and I missed it!

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#5 of 334 Old 02-02-2006, 02:56 AM

No worries, it's tomorrow!
#6 of 334 Old 02-02-2006, 03:52 AM

oh wow...yeah, how 'bout that?

Guess I better soak my oats for tomorrow morning and get some meat for dinner, I'm feeling a little deficient!

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#7 of 334 Old 02-02-2006, 04:36 AM

I would like to start eating the nt way, too. We eat pretty well, but there's always room for improvement. Dd has lots of food allergies, so we've already given up processed foods (except for her organic hot dogs.) We've also given up sugar. And I bake with brown rice flour, so no white flours for us. Our main problem is that organics and grass fed meats are too expensive for us right now, and that we don't really like many veggies. I have started trying new veggie recipes each week, so we are doing better. And if everything goes well tomorrow, I will be making yogurt from coconut milk.
I would love to get rid of our microwave, too, but dh is quite opposed. The only thing we use it for is to heat up leftovers, which I know is horrible. I'm clueless when it comes to re-heating things.
#8 of 334 Old 02-02-2006, 10:09 AM

Re: type of salt used, what if you use Redmond Real Salt? That's what we use, get it at the HFS. It's unrefined, from Utah, clearly unbleached. I made the beet kvass and it was pretty darned salty with this type of salt.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#9 of 334 Old 02-02-2006, 11:27 AM

gardenmommy-Is it the makers diet that you have been doing? I might try it because I too need to get rid of the sugar fixation my body has.

also, how long do the phone classes usually last? That is around the time we put the kids to sleep, so dont know if I would be able to make it, but would love to!
#10 of 334 Old 02-02-2006, 12:00 PM

Can you post about your experience with coconut milk yogurt? I am somewhere between NT and Eat to Live. I don't do any dairy at all and would love to be able to make yogurt for my kiddos. Do you use a non-dairy starter? I'm so excited to hear! I did make some coconut kefir, and that was awesome...I'll have to get off my tush and do that again. I am currently trying to decide to add meat back into my diet...I don't generally feel as good with it, but I'm pregnant and nursing and the other day I ate some eggs for breakfast and some grass-fed beef for dinner, and ever since then I have been STARVING. No amount of food helps me. I think my body is telling me that at this stage I just need some meat. I do have access to alot of grass-fed beef, organic free range eggs and organic pork (though I'm not sure I could ever stomach the pork...) I really think I'll do best on lean red meats and fish. I have also added some bone broths into my diet (well, am adding. It's simmering right now!) So I hope it's okay to lurk a bit here and ask questions in this part of my journey. Also any words of advice are welcome.
#11 of 334 Old 02-02-2006, 12:40 PM

I second the request for advice with coconut milk yogurt. we just found ds is allergic to milk and so i don't know to eat myself and don't know what to feed him. it's really hard right now.
#12 of 334 Old 02-02-2006, 02:54 PM

firefaery-I had to add meat back to my diet when pregnant and breastfeeding too. Now that I am tandem nursing I know my body wouldnt like it very much if I didnt have some meat. I have noticed when I have a dinner without meat I wake up starving the next morning. If I have meat I can get myself and the kids ready before eating breakfast. I think you have to do what your body tells you.
#13 of 334 Old 02-02-2006, 07:40 PM

Thanks for starting the new thread!!!

I'm sorry for not asking this earlier, but in last month's thread, Mountain Mom said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
The difference with this stock was that I brewed it with several healing roots. Then I made a huge soup out of the stock that included the wild rice stuffing from Christmas that also was made with several healing herbs.
I was wondering what healing roots you used? And are these healing roots for a specific ailment or would it be good against cold/flu as well?

Also, I know that several expressed discomfort with the idea of doing the Master Cleanse while breastfeeding, and I wholeheartedly agree with that. I'm wondering if the Maker's Diet would be okay while breastfeeding? From what I understand, there's a 2 week cleanse where you eat a very basic diet, and then another 2 weeks of reintroducing other foods back into your diet. Is this correct? I'm basically looking for a kick-start for better nutrition while breastfeeding my 4 month old babe.

Momma to the monkeys three
#14 of 334 Old 02-02-2006, 08:47 PM

I think the maker's diet is fine for cleansing...you aren't starving yourself at all..just cutting out certain foods.

As for the phone seminar..can someone take notes and post tonight? I was going to listen to it but sis has asked me to go to a movie and I won't be home..grrr...

I believe in Wild Fermentation there is a recipe for yogurt made out of using kefir grains..the grains will work in anything..or Sandor says..lol
#15 of 334 Old 02-02-2006, 09:32 PM

My take on Maker's type diets during breastfeeding...

When eliminating foods that contribute to negative bacteria such as candida, the existing candida dies off since it is not being fed the foods to keep it alive. Be cautious of this die off, because the effects can be neurotoxic. Having a good source of chlorella everyday mops up that mess.
As well the terrain of the G.I. tract changes to be more hospitable to healthy bacteria thus the candida has lost its home so to speak and leaves the body. Be prepared for it to run into your breast milk. Be sure to have the child being breastfed on the same type of food plan and flood their system (yours as well) with probiotics (at least an 8 strain).

FYI, I am in the process of researching and hopefully will write my findings into a book about flora balancing and the body with a focus on pregnant and breastfeeding women.

The herbs that I use in my stock vary but I tend to stay with yellowdock root, dandelion root, nettle leaf, comfrey leaf, and sometimes red clover blossoms. I add the leafs and blossoms at the parsley stage and the roots go in at the start. The stock is sharp in flavour, can be bitter.
#16 of 334 Old 02-02-2006, 10:24 PM

I'm buying a grain mill with our tax return (I've been using our vitamix) and I can't decide between the Wonder mill and the Nutra mill. Can someone help me out?
#17 of 334 Old 02-02-2006, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I've been doing the Maker's Diet 40 day plan (on day 27 right now). It has been very helpful in retraining my body away from sugars and grains. I had one or two days at the beginning where I felt really lousy, but that was it. My nursing toddler was out of sorts those days, as well. So, either we had a short-lived bug, or we were experiencing the effects of no-sugars.

I am feeling very good (well, it's the end of the day, so I'm tired!), and have lost approx. 15 lbs. I've been doing well with lots of fresh 24-hr. yogurt, kefir, and primal defense (one of the few supplements that I do take as recommended by Rubin in his book). I've also increased my raw veggie/fruit intake considerably, which has probably helped my immune status. I've noticed that in the last month, people around me (those with whom I have close contact outside my family) have been getting this bug or that, while I and my family are staying quite healthy. I can only imagine how much this is due to a dramatically reduced sugar consumption.
#18 of 334 Old 02-03-2006, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
When eliminating foods that contribute to negative bacteria such as candida, the existing candida dies off since it is not being fed the foods to keep it alive. Be cautious of this die off, because the effects can be neurotoxic. Having a good source of chlorella everyday mops up that mess.
As well the terrain of the G.I. tract changes to be more hospitable to healthy bacteria thus the candida has lost its home so to speak and leaves the body. Be prepared for it to run into your breast milk. Be sure to have the child being breastfed on the same type of food plan and flood their system (yours as well) with probiotics (at least an 8 strain).

FYI, I am in the process of researching and hopefully will write my findings into a book about flora balancing and the body with a focus on pregnant and breastfeeding women.
Very cool re: book!!

I've heard psyllium is very helpful for mopping up toxins. Michael Murray ND's books talk about it. Also activated charcoal.

Enzymes eat the dead candida cells up, cellulases and proteases (such as Candidase) and greatly reduce die off.
www.enzymestuff.com

Chlorella, I'm very wary about. Reports on it being a chelator of heavy metals make me nervous, since we don't know exactly how it works and anything that moves mercury can be dangerous. I've read this on several parents groups doing chelation with their ASD kids. Also I'd question it's use on someone who has mercury fillings in their mouths.

This makes me remember I was just reading 1985 ed. of Susun Weed's book and she mentions yeast causing food allergies... 20 years ago! Makes me sad this hasn't become more widely known in the meantime.
#19 of 334 Old 02-03-2006, 12:10 AM

Good for you Gardenmommy. Sugar literally shuts down the immune response of the body for several hours after consuming it.

#20 of 334 Old 02-03-2006, 12:15 AM

Jane, it is my understanding that psyllium mops up die off directly in the digestive tract, chlorella or other blue green algae is specific to neurotoxin die off.

The die off is the most challenging part of any flora rebalancing program by far.
#21 of 334 Old 02-03-2006, 12:33 AM

ok I am wanting to make some chili this weekend for the superbowl. I have a great recipe but the beans it calls for are canned. How can I convert it to dry beans so that I can soak them?
#22 of 334 Old 02-03-2006, 12:40 AM

I would just soak and cook the beans beforehand, then freeze or use the rest for something else. Chili sounds like a good idea for the Superbowl!
#23 of 334 Old 02-03-2006, 12:41 AM

Sorry everyone for the OT-ness here...

Mountain Mom,

But aren't these neurotoxins produced in the digestive tract? The bad bacteria/yeast produce the toxins themselves and send to brain. That is what my reading is telling me... just a few examples I can find right now.

http://aikidoaus.com.au/dojo/docs/2nd_braina.htm
http://www.sheilashea.com/candida.html
http://www.enzymestuff.com/conditionleakygut.htm
and the book, "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" regarding Brain Gut connection

Can you explain more about chlorella targeting neurotoxins specifically? Where is this info?
#24 of 334 Old 02-03-2006, 12:55 AM

The reasoning behind using chlorella and other blue green algaes when dealing with die off and neurotoxins is that these organisms help to rebuild nerve tissue at the same time as pulling out the toxins and digesting them.

Neurotoxins are produced in the GI tract but they affect the nervous function of the entire body.

I can post up my links to the supporting research if you like but I am off to bed right now.

#25 of 334 Old 02-03-2006, 01:22 AM

Wow! I wasn't expecting such a good lesson in regards to a cleanse. Please, post links, information, etc....I'm eager to learn!

Also eager for your book to be published!

Back on the NT topic...I don't know if this has been hashed out before, but what type of vinegar do you use when NT calls for it in a recipe? I've been using the distilled white, but find myself wanting to try ACV. Yes? No? What do you prefer?

#26 of 334 Old 02-03-2006, 11:38 AM

I was wondering if you could tell me some of your favorite things to use stock for. I know you can use it in soups. I also saw a recipe in Martha stewart for mac and cheese using stock that I want to try. Give me all your yummy ideas.

Also I was looking at my box of oatmeal this morning and it has a food pyramid on it. It has the grains at the bottom etc. I was trying to explain NT to my mom and thought I could do it better if I had like a NT food pyramid. Is there such a thing? If not, how would you best describe it?
#27 of 334 Old 02-03-2006, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory maker
I was wondering if you could tell me some of your favorite things to use stock for. I know you can use it in soups. I also saw a recipe in Martha stewart for mac and cheese using stock that I want to try. Give me all your yummy ideas.
We use it in stews/soups primarily, but I also tend to use it to cook rice, add to spaghetti sauce, and in place of hot cocoa after a cold day outside. I also know a woman from Germany who makes incredible liver dumplings cooked in a thickened stock.

#28 of 334 Old 02-03-2006, 01:14 PM

I hope it's ok to join in. We haven't actually started the NT lifestyle yet...I got the book from the library and thought I needed my own copy, so got one off of mothering(Thanks to the mama who sold it to me ), and returned the book to the library since I was too overwhelmed, and wanted to wait until I got my book. Hopefully the book will be here in the next few days. I'm sure I will have questions...is that ok?

Some of ya'll are talking about the Maker's Diet...I got that book sitting on my bookshelf...how does it compare to Nourishing Traditions? Is it basically the same ideas? What about Jordan's other book, Great Physician's RX? I also got that from the library and there was so much info I bought that book too(still waiting on that one to arrive). Does anyone happen to have read all 3 books and could recommend one over the other? Are they interchangeable?

I know when I was reading NT and GP RX that I felt so overwhelmed and not knowing where to start. Do I just jump in and do everything right off, make small changes?? Thanks so much. Sara

Homeschooling Mama to 6. Waiting for baby #7 to arrive mid September.
#29 of 334 Old 02-03-2006, 06:12 PM

This is an interesting exercise. Here's my contribution to the NT pyramid. Maybe someone can take my info and improve on it.

At least half raw foods but I have no idea how to depict the other catagories.

Raw food include:

- raw grass fed dairy
- yogurt/kefir
- fermented veggies, condiments and beverages
- fruit/veggies
- raw fats
- or raw meats

Essential fatty acids:

- grass fed meats, vary them
- free range eggs
- cod liver oil
- Liver or other organ meat once a week.
- fish including wild salmon, shellfish or fish eggs once a week.

Traditional fats, vary them

Bone broths

Soaked whole grains, nuts and beans

Fresh organic vegetables and fruits, preferably locally grown in mineral rich soil.
#30 of 334 Old 02-03-2006, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saramomofmany
I hope it's ok to join in. We haven't actually started the NT lifestyle yet...I got the book from the library and thought I needed my own copy, so got one off of mothering(Thanks to the mama who sold it to me ), and returned the book to the library since I was too overwhelmed, and wanted to wait until I got my book. Hopefully the book will be here in the next few days. I'm sure I will have questions...is that ok?

Some of ya'll are talking about the Maker's Diet...I got that book sitting on my bookshelf...how does it compare to Nourishing Traditions? Is it basically the same ideas? What about Jordan's other book, Great Physician's RX? I also got that from the library and there was so much info I bought that book too(still waiting on that one to arrive). Does anyone happen to have read all 3 books and could recommend one over the other? Are they interchangeable?

I know when I was reading NT and GP RX that I felt so overwhelmed and not knowing where to start. Do I just jump in and do everything right off, make small changes?? Thanks so much. Sara

I have read all three books. Finished the Physicians RX last week. It was a lot of the same stuff as Maker's Diet but more in detail I believe. I think all three books are interechangable and Ruben uses a lot of Sally's recipes and references her a bit. She even wrote in his new book I believe. I think the biggest difference is that Sally recommends some seafoods I think that Ruben, being kosher, wouldn't recommend..but not completely sure on that one..been a while since I read that part. The thing like about Ruben's books are the menu's and recipe plans in them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page