NT mamas, & all mamas... cod liver oil in pregnancy? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 152 Old 03-02-2006, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Carlson's CLO and Nordic Naturals are both available in stores here, but I order from www.vitacost.com You may want to see if they ship to you, otherwise I like Carlson's CLO for our purposes.
#62 of 152 Old 03-05-2006, 06:57 PM

subbing :
#63 of 152 Old 03-06-2006, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
I would take the CLO before the other oils. Spend the money there first in my opinion. then you will get the A,D, and Omega 3s

How much cal and mag are you taking?

Poultry liver is good too. My mom prefers it as well.

Is there a good phytate reduction thread around here? ? Maybe we should start one if there isn't one bump-worthy.
Started taking NN CLO over the weekend, and cut back the other oils. This is under the auspices of my chiro/naturopath. She said we could reevaluate later--but wants the black currant for the good omega 6s.

Pumping so I can't check, but I think it's 500 cal/250 mag. Low, I know.

Anyone know if you can get free range chicken livers at Whole Foods?

By all means start a thread if there isn't one. I'm probably not going to be able to get my hands on a copy of NT anytime soon.
#64 of 152 Old 03-06-2006, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
And it looks like Nordic Naturals is making it less relevant -- a nutritional label I found online in reordering has lower vitamin levels than what is in my fridge.
Yeah the stuff I just bought is pretty pathetic vitaminwise. But I wanted to get started.
Has anyone used the CLO from Radiant Life? I'm thinking about ordering Amla-c from there, so it seemed logical to combine. Also does anyone know what the shipping costs for the Blue Ice are like? I couldn't find it on the site, and cost is a factor for me.
And does anyone else have a problem, not with the taste--the NN is very light tasting--but just with the texture, the fact that you're swallowing a tsp or more of OIL straight? I had to hide in juice after the first time kept making me nauseated.
#65 of 152 Old 03-06-2006, 12:46 PM

The chicken livers available at my Whole Foods are from Bell & Evans. Not that great b/c they are grain and soy fed, but I think they are antibx/hormone free at least.

http://bellandevans.com/whoweare.cfm
#66 of 152 Old 03-06-2006, 01:04 PM

You can special order organic chicken livers from WFs.

Mama-a-llama I think that particular brand of Amla C has a small amount of maltodextrin added to it as a drying agent. Not sure about that but you might want to check--maltodextrin being a form of corn sugar.

Cal-mag is most absorbable in a 1:1 ration in the citrate and glycinate form respectively. I believe Thorne makes such a product.

I recently posted on the NT thread about the CLO distillation process. Alot of companies are responding to concern about Vit A toxicity and have completely removed the vitamins during the deodorizing process (which also removes the PCBs) and then adding back the vitamins in synthetic form. Blue Ice takes the more effortful approach of adding back the vitamins in their natural form.
#67 of 152 Old 03-06-2006, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian
Mama-a-llama I think that particular brand of Amla C has a small amount of maltodextrin added to it as a drying agent. Not sure about that but you might want to check--maltodextrin being a form of corn sugar.
Hmm, I checked the website of the company that makes it (Pure Planet), and it says no fillers or sweeteners. I guess I could actually email and ask to be sure.
#68 of 152 Old 03-07-2006, 12:36 AM
Bia

Quote:
Has anyone used the CLO from Radiant Life? I'm thinking about ordering Amla-c from there, so it seemed logical to combine. Also does anyone know what the shipping costs for the Blue Ice are like? I couldn't find it on the site, and cost is a factor for me.
And does anyone else have a problem, not with the taste--the NN is very light tasting--but just with the texture, the fact that you're swallowing a tsp or more of OIL straight? I had to hide in juice after the first time kept making me nauseated.
I have clo from radiant life. It is a good product. But I do have a problem swallowing the oil... I have to have a chaser of something strong-tasting ready. I think if you google that brand of clo, you can find it elsewhere in capsule form, but it is more expensive than the liquid.
#69 of 152 Old 03-10-2006, 07:01 PM

hopping in to say great thread! I really want to get my crew started on the blue ice CLO, but we're facing budget problems right now. I'm going to start asap, and this has been a very helpful thread..

Kristen, Loving my family heartbeat.gif Sweet DH, C 11, A 9, B 7, G 4, H 1, C newbie!
2ndtri.gif Free Healthy Pregnancy & Natural Birth Series, click here!

#70 of 152 Old 03-11-2006, 11:00 AM

hey skrimpy--i'm from myrtle beach originally! definitely invest in some cod liver oil. i wish i had. i was taking 6 omega 3 fatty acid pills a day during my pregnancy for depression. i think that's one of the only reasons my twins turned out as well as they did based on what i ate while i was pregnant (that "healthy" diet of unsoaked whole grains and low fat foods--sigh).

i haven't had time to respond to this thread earlier (and i wish i could respond to a lot more than i get a chance to; dh is playing with the girls so i can type now)--but i wanted to say how much i appreciate you mamas sharing your stories. i felt like i was starving my babies with my breast milk (the low fat diet continued--i was following lll suggestions for losing weight while breastfeeding--i don't know where to go for accurate nutritional information!!!). ay 6 months, my ped suggested formula because they weren't gaining weight. i knew that was wrong, so i started pumping to supplement them (4 - 6 oz a day was all i coud get, split between them), and i started them on solids way before i thought they were ready, at 6 months. they were starving, and ate a lot. at least i pureed their fruits and veggies and fed them lots of yogurt (all organic). but i also gave them that stupid oatmeal baby flake cereal. i started trying to add good fats to my diet (candied almonds--sigh again). but i still wanted to lose weight--and to fast forward a bit, we all got desperately sick with strep for their first birthday when i was really trying to lose weight fast for their party (i was depressed and felt totally abandoned by family and friends--no one came to help with the girls like they'd promised, and i was alone most of the time with them--soi wanted to show off how well i'd done--i'm embarrassed about it now). we ended up on antibiotics, which somehow led me to the vaccinations forum, which led me here (trying to heal the damage i sense but isn't overt from giving these girls the first year of vaxes).

so, mama-a-llama--i just wanted to reply because i started feeling like "it was my fault" when my girls were six months. i was completely overwhelmed and frantic. i left my first pedi (still a good decision), talked to at least 6 lactation consultants (none of whom inquired into my diet, even tho i said i was dieting), and got early intervention involved, including a nutitionist on the team. they all said the girls were fine, just small. luckily i felt something was wrong, and after 9 months, i'm really making some progress. the girls were sick last week with a virus that devastated my dad and stepmom and fil, but the girls were happy through it all (dh and i didn't even get it). i still have giult, but now i have a better sense of why i feel guilty, and i can talk about it with dh. plus, reading nutrition and physical degeneration gave me serious hope that we can improve our health. i read a while back that it changed JaneS's llife, and honestly that's why i bought the book (my library didn't have it available for loan--i want to donate a copy). it's hard not to beat yourself up, but YOU DIDN"T KNOW. i didn't know. now i do, and i'm trying to tell as many people as i can (tho they think i'm crazy). but the food i make is winning converts. dh is even helping me throw away the crappy "food" we had in our house (and the guy does not like to waste anything, especially food).

sorry for the novel--i never get this long to think, and a lot of this is just gelling for me now. there should be a whole board for this sort of stuff--maybe we should start one.

and to all you mamas!
#71 of 152 Old 03-11-2006, 12:32 PM

Mehera,

First of all, thank you for the vote of confidence. I think it's necessary to go thru a real crisis in order to change. Both to realize there is a problem and to make the commitment to do something about it. And to turn away from reliance on mainstream opinion and fully trusting your mama intuition. Thank you for being so humble as to tell your story unvarnished, it helps all of us learn too.
#72 of 152 Old 03-12-2006, 11:38 PM

Another amazing list of how crucial vitamin A is:

Quote:
Vitamin A for Fetal Development
By Mary G. Enig, PhD

The major target tissues of vitamin A deficiency include the heart, central nervous system, the circulatory, urogenital and respiratory systems, and the development of the skull, skeleton and limbs. Vitamin A deficiencies during the period when any of these systems begin specialization can result in abnormalities and defects.

According to Zile, even partial vitamin A deficiency affects the sensitive developing central nervous system; it plays a key role in the development of the visual system, the retina, the inner ear, the spinal cord, the craniofacial area including the pharyngeal and branchial arches and the thymus, thyroid and parathyroid glands.

During mid-gestation, vitamin A is required for fetal lung development. In vitamin A-deficient animals, congenital malformations in the urogential system occur. Most interesting is new research on the effect of vitamin A on kidney development. Vitamin A deficiency results in a reduced number of nephrons in the kidney. Lower numbers of nephrons mean the kidneys will not work at optimal levels and may doom the individual to dialysis later in life.2

Another fascinating avenue of research has shown that vitamin A holds the key to what scientists call the “holy grail” puzzle of developmental biology: the existence of a mechanism that ensures that the exterior of our bodies is symmetrical while the inner organs are arranged asymmetrically. Researchers at the Salk Institute have found that vitamin A provides the signal that buffers the influences of asymmetric cues in the early stages of development, and allows these cells to develop symmetrically. In the absence of vitamin A, the exterior of our bodies would develop asymmetrically, with the result being that our right side would be shorter than the left side.3

After the formation of all the organ systems, vitamin A supports their growth. Chronic vitamin A deficiency during pregnancy compromises the liver, heart and kidney and impairs lung growth and development during the last weeks of gestation.4
http://www.westonaprice.org/knowyour...l-develop.html
All I can think about when I read this is those horrible baby shows on Discovery Health Channel I obsessively watched when I was pg... you know the ones with babies developing organs outside their bodies, cleft palates, etc etc.

If only this information about vitamin A was as widely promoted.
#73 of 152 Old 05-03-2006, 10:44 PM

#74 of 152 Old 05-04-2006, 02:13 AM

thanks for the bump, Jane...this thread was really informative!

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#75 of 152 Old 05-04-2006, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
We get our local butter from Southern NH
Wow! I live in Southern NH (Nashua) and here I am trying to source all these new foods now that there's suddenly very little in the grocery store that I wish to feed my family. WHERE ARE YOU GETTING YOUR LOCAL BUTTER??!! What other sources can you point me towards? I've done some hunting around on eatwild, etc, but I haven't found sources that I thought were "great," and several of them were dead ends.

Also, does anyone combine high vitamin butter oil with their cod liver oil dosing? I'm curious to hear about this...
#76 of 152 Old 05-04-2006, 06:36 PM

This is how it was traditionally given by WAP for best results, the different fats carrying the vitamins and minerals etc more efficiently. No time to post links right now but if you go to the WAPF site you'll find info on it.
#77 of 152 Old 05-04-2006, 08:50 PM

It's almost time for me to buy more cod liver oil, and since the carlson's doesn't seem to be high vitamin I'm shopping for something different. My question is: all the high vitamin brands are very high in Vit A and an order of magnitude less for vit D. I thought I needed to consume almost equal quantities of the two naturally occurring vitamins to protect against toxicity. Am I overlooking something, or do most people taking high vitamin cod liver oil also take a (natural) vit D supplement?

Hmm after reading that vit A helps labor/delivery (among other things), I'm wondering how many tbsps of my low vit carlsons I should take (I'm 36 weeks along)?! I've been taking 1 tbsp almost daily, I wonder if I should be taking a little more... and then what about the high vitamin cod liver oil - should I reduce the dose to the traditional 1tsp or so?
#78 of 152 Old 05-04-2006, 09:00 PM

I'm not a doc-but my docs recommended that I take 2 tbs a day of Carlson's CLO.
#79 of 152 Old 05-04-2006, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigknitwit
It's almost time for me to buy more cod liver oil, and since the carlson's doesn't seem to be high vitamin I'm shopping for something different. My question is: all the high vitamin brands are very high in Vit A and an order of magnitude less for vit D. I thought I needed to consume almost equal quantities of the two naturally occurring vitamins to protect against toxicity. Am I overlooking something, or do most people taking high vitamin cod liver oil also take a (natural) vit D supplement?

Hmm after reading that vit A helps labor/delivery (among other things), I'm wondering how many tbsps of my low vit carlsons I should take (I'm 36 weeks along)?! I've been taking 1 tbsp almost daily, I wonder if I should be taking a little more... and then what about the high vitamin cod liver oil - should I reduce the dose to the traditional 1tsp or so?
One tablespoon of high vitamin CLO is what WAPF used to recommend for pg/nursing, but I see they have revised their recs to 20,000 IU of A and 2,000IU of D: http://www.westonaprice.org/children...ormothers.html

That ratio is the correct one: 10:1, A : D.

See Chris Masterjohn's excellent article "Vitamin A on Trial" in the current WAPF newsletter Wise Traditions that is reprinted on the www.greenpasture.org website for more than you ever needed to know about A and D research!
#80 of 152 Old 05-04-2006, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigknitwit
Wow! I live in Southern NH (Nashua) and here I am trying to source all these new foods now that there's suddenly very little in the grocery store that I wish to feed my family. WHERE ARE YOU GETTING YOUR LOCAL BUTTER??!! What other sources can you point me towards? I've done some hunting around on eatwild, etc, but I haven't found sources that I thought were "great," and several of them were dead ends.

Also, does anyone combine high vitamin butter oil with their cod liver oil dosing? I'm curious to hear about this...
I lied, Livewater Farm is in VT. I used to get it thru my old co-op Just Dairy here in MA. http://www.vtliving.com/cheesemakers/sout.shtml

However... if you want to join the bi-monthly co-op that I'm in now out of Tewskbury, MA we are a small group that has banded together to get a ton of raw cow and goat dairy and pastured meats/eggs from an collection of Amish family farms in PA. Might be worth the drive for you down Rte 3? PM me if interested.

Yes, I do the high vitamin butter, 1/2 tsp/day. More info in Dental forum under the thread, "Curing Cavities with Nutrition".

P.S. I thought it was NH b/c one of our raw milk farms is Ardent Arts in NH, he makes cheese I think. Angus Johnson, dairy producer; Ardent Arts Farm, 249 Dooe Road, Dublin, NH 03444
#81 of 152 Old 05-04-2006, 10:29 PM

More on CLO dosing for everyone in family:
http://www.westonaprice.org/basicnut...fications.html

And this is why fish liver oil and flax seed oil is not recommended:

Quote:
This extra vitamin A helps to protect the polyunsaturated fatty acids from becoming oxidized after they are incorporated into the cell membrane.(6)
The other sources of omega 3's are subject to oxidization (free radical formation, very damaging to body).
#82 of 152 Old 06-02-2006, 01:01 PM

#83 of 152 Old 06-02-2006, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Here's an article re. vitamin A:

Simple Facts about Vitamin A

Randall Neustaedter OMD

Retinol, or vitamin A was first identified in 1907 by comparing rats fed protein and lard or olive oil for fat with rats fed a diet that added egg yolk or butterfat. The rats who ate the foods with a vitamin A deficient diet failed to grow, but recovered with the supplemental foods. Only animal fats contain vitamin A. Good sources are cod liver oil, egg yolks, butter, raw whole milk, and liver. Animals must have carotene or vitamin A sources in their diets in order to produce vitamin A and pass it on to humans. There are no plant sources of vitamin A. Betacarotene found in vegetables and fruits can be converted to vitamin A by the body in a ratio of 12:1. That is it takes 12 units of beta-carotene to produce one unit of vitamin A. Infants and people with diabetes or poor thyroid function cannot make the conversion at all. Children convert betacarotene to vitamin A very poorly. Therefore animal fat sources of vitamin A are essential for most of the population.

Vitamin A is needed for proper mucous membrane function. It is essential for the growth and repair of body tissues, and for efficient digestion of protein. Vitamin A promotes good eyesight, strong bones and teeth, and a vital immune system. White blood cells, T-lymphocytes, and every cell in the important mucosal barriers of the respiratory, digestive, and urinary tracts require vitamin A.

A high fat diet will help ensure adequate vitamin A intake. Whole milk products, butter, and free range eggs will help maintain necessary levels of this important nutrient. For those who may not be getting enough vitamin A, a supplement is essential.

The recommended daily amount (RDA) of vitamin A is 3,000 IU per day for adults (reduced from 5,000 IU) and 1,000-2,000 IU for children, depending on their age (1,000 at one year of age, 2,000 by age nine). Primitive diets probably maintained 10 times that amount. One egg contains 300 IU, one cup of whole milk or whole milk yogurt contains about 225-250 IU of vitamin A. One tablespoon of butter contains 350 IU of A. The amount of vitamin A may vary by the season and the feed of the animals.

People eating a vegan diet are at a significant risk of vitamin A deficiency. It would take six cups of raw carrots or 20 cups of broccoli to obtain the recommended daily requirement of vitamin A per day.

Most everyone would benefit from a vitamin A supplement derived from fish oil. One tablespoon of cod liver oil contains at least 3,000 IU of A. Proper dosage is one teaspoon per 50 pounds of body weight. For adults with hypothyroidism or immune system problems (allergies, recurrent infections, autoimmune disease) a capsule supplement of 20,000 IU of vitamin A from fish oil may be appropriate. During an acute illness an adult could take twice that amount.

The toxicity of vitamin A during pregnancy or at any other time applies primarily to synthetic rather than natural forms of vitamin A (fish oil). Vitamin D in fish oil protects the body from toxicity. A study of people taking 300,000 IU of vitamin A per day for over a year revealed no adverse effects. However, the toxicity of vitamin D is very real, and anyone who takes a supplement containing vitamin D should have vitamin D levels checked with a blood test for 25-hydroxyvitamin D. Note that the normal values are 45-55 ng/ml (115-140 nmol/l). Laboratory reference ranges are often too low.

There has been an association between vitamin A intake of 5,000 IU per day and an increased risk of osteoporosis, It is assumed that this increased risk is due to interference with the ability of vitamin D to maintain calcium balance. Taking vitamin D and other cofactors should mitigate this effect. Monitoring by a knowledgeable health care provider is important because of the complex interactions of nutrients including A, C, D, calcium, magnesium, and other minerals on bone health.

For a more thorough look at vitamin A see:

http://www.naturalsolutionsradio.com...62&filter=topi

Is anyone concerned about vit D overdose with CLO? That is why I have stopped now that it's summertime and very sunny here. Does anyone test their vit D levels & where do you go for that testing? I miss CLO, definitely notice a difference without it.
#84 of 152 Old 06-16-2006, 10:01 PM

#85 of 152 Old 08-08-2006, 12:12 PM

Bump!
#86 of 152 Old 08-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Banned

thanks for the bump.

i am vegetarian, but my husband and I are hoping to TTC in 2008. i am thinking a great deal on the idea of taking cod liver oil and perhaps bone broths while preparing to concieve and during pregnancy and lactation.

it is a difficult decisions because not all of the factors weigh 'logically.' i will ask my wise-woman friends to help me.
#87 of 152 Old 08-08-2006, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Another amazing list of how crucial vitamin A is:

All I can think about when I read this is those horrible baby shows on Discovery Health Channel I obsessively watched when I was pg... you know the ones with babies developing organs outside their bodies, cleft palates, etc etc.

If only this information about vitamin A was as widely promoted.

This is disturbing to me. My 3 baby was born with a folded ear and her eyes are not level. I was on a veg. diet, very healthy I thought. The problems I experienced during and after her pregnancy are what led me to NT in the first place. To think that a deficiency in my diet is what caused her to be born with asymmetrical features is, well, very sad. I know it's impossible to really *know* what caused it, but, just the idea that it was my "healthy" diet, something I *could* have changed. Disturbing to me.
#88 of 152 Old 08-09-2006, 09:46 PM

I feel similarly about my DS and his gut issues. I know *exactly* how this feels and it's by far the hardest thing I've ever had to face in my life.

But now I think this realization is such a tremendous gift. I never would have known just how crucial the right nutrition was nor had the tools to cure myself of several debilitating illnesses.

And what I always tell myself is that who knows what this knowledge now actually will prevent in the future? In my entire family! Thus I must use those feelings to spur myself on and be even more determined.

I can tell you what I think I know that it prevented in my DS. ( did that sentance even make sense??) Maybe someday you will come to that realization with your child(ren), that there is a reason in it.
#89 of 152 Old 08-09-2006, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird
i am vegetarian, but my husband and I are hoping to TTC in 2008. i am thinking a great deal on the idea of taking cod liver oil and perhaps bone broths while preparing to concieve and during pregnancy and lactation.
I think your intuition has already told you.
#90 of 152 Old 08-09-2006, 11:57 PM

what an awesome thread! i took NN omega 3's throughout my pg, and discovered NT and CLO about 3 months ago, and switched over to CLO.

just a quick note about CLO's: my dd and I actually prefer the orange flavor blue ice to NN clo! the orange flavor tastes like nothing to me-- maybe like rosemary more than anything, but the nn strawberry clo tastes so fishy! it's odd to me that our reactions to the clo are so different. i was really worried about the blue ice clo being too fishy, but find it easy to take everyday (with a juice chaser-- my dd just take sit right off the spoon with nothing-- she asks for mroe in fact!). the butter oil i find MUCH harder to take. in fact, i've only had it twice. it's just sitting in my fridge!!! i need to figure out a way to take it. i just don't like the taste and am grossed out that it is solidified...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page