NT and cholesterol issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-09-2006, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have in the past year found the NT way of eating and much of it makes so much sense to me. However, my mom just got diagnosed with high cholesterol (285) and of course her doc told her no butter, saturated fat, low cholesterol etc.... basicially the American Heart Assn. ideals. This goes in direct contrast with NT and it is all so confusing. My cholesterol is good before adopting any of the NT principals (132) and we now eat organic real butter, eggs, raw milk, meat. I am at a loss as to what to tell her because NT goes so against mainstream nutrition I think it would be hard to defend. It's been drilled into our culture today that low-fat is the gold standard of nutrition and I don't know how to counter that. I have read much of the Weston Price info, but I'm afraid that it would appear biased because of course they support NT. I've also heard of the Cholesterol Myth book but haven't read it yet. I just really don't want her to rely on her doc. and eventually end up on meds. Any help?

read.gif mama to 2 dust.gifhomeschool.giftreehugger.gifsaynovax.gifRainbow.gif
#2 of 2 Old 02-09-2006, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would say read as much of the recommended reading list at WAP as you can. They obviously are not all by the same author, so it wouldn't look like you got all your info from the same place.

The key to keeping your blood cholesterol levels balanced is to reduce inflammation. When arteries become inflamed or damaged in any way, cholesterol is sent into the blood to repair the damage, which is what the plaque deposits are. They are like bandaids to cover damaged tissue. Without cholesterol, you'd be in a lot of trouble because there would be no way to repair that damage.

The way to reduce inflammation is to strictly avoid sugar and trans fatty acids, and to add healing anti-inflammatory fats like cod liver oil and evening primrose. Also, some people are very sensitive to nightshade plants, so cutting down on your intake of those might help further reduce inflammation. If your mother is open to trying alternative medicine, a good ND would be able to recommend an herbal formula to suite her needs. We like to use Hawthorn for cardiovascular issues.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page