NT March Thread... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 422 Old 03-03-2006, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmyn
Does anyone have any thoughts on what to do with chicken jello? There is always so much left after I make a chicken, and it seems wrong to throw it away.
i use it to make gravy, or just add it to the bones for making stock (which i almost always do with a whole chicken). otherwise i imagine you could add it to rice or beans when cooking them. it's so flavorful and has lots of healthy gelatin... it's great to use it!
hth
#62 of 422 Old 03-03-2006, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMomma
Has anyone cooked the orange cake out of NT?
Yes, and it was pretty good, but I modified it over the holidays with a kefir/pomgranate juice and it was fantastic.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#63 of 422 Old 03-03-2006, 10:58 PM

ok--recovering vegetarian here. i am NOT looking forward to finding out what chicken jello is when i make chicken stock next week

(can i just repeat how good my stock/stew is? i can't believe i made that!)

i'm glad someone brought up the money thing. i have gone out of control buying spices and such. i can't buy anything non-organic. help me.

(agh--dh says off the internet!)
#64 of 422 Old 03-04-2006, 12:22 AM

Does anyone use palm oil? The virgin red palm oil is on sale from Tropical Traditions http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/red_palm_oil.htm .

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#65 of 422 Old 03-04-2006, 01:27 AM

Cool, thanks. Of course about an hour ago I just bought my first tub of palm oil from Whole Foods to try it out in baking.

-Kelly
#66 of 422 Old 03-04-2006, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffanie3
Does anyone use palm oil? The virgin red palm oil is on sale from Tropical Traditions http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/red_palm_oil.htm .
I have it and use it occasionally. It is extremely high in beta-carotene so it tastes like carrots. Really strong carrots. It's kind of difficult to explain, like the orange part but not the anise part if that makes any sense. So I use it in things that don't really get affected by that carrot taste like stir-frys. It's supposed to be very good for you though.
#67 of 422 Old 03-04-2006, 03:52 AM

Gale Force, how did you modify the recipe? I'm soaking some flour tonight as I have the oven on tomorrow so I will bake the cake then.

hookagirl, I get my raw milk direct from a farm & my organic beef direct from a farm. It costs the same as the regular inorganic stuff from the stores costs. I try to grow as many veges as I can myself & I save my own seeds for a lot of them. Fruit I buy either direct from local growers or from the farmer's market or the local organic shop.
#68 of 422 Old 03-04-2006, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMomma
rootzdawta you don't need a dehydrator to soak flour. All you need to do is soak the flour in water & whey or yoghurt overnight. I think you can soak grains like this & then dehydrate them & grind them into flour but that is a whole heap of expensive kitchen equipment! Too much for me on my budget.

Thanks!!

Also, one more question. I don't know if any of you have/had a fussy/cranky baby . . . does NT help with that? I mean, I think the root of all health certainly comes from diet and I've been wondering if it's maybe my diet that is causing ds to be a demanding baby or is it just his personality . . . What illnesses have you all cured eating in the NT way?

As for palm oil, in Nigerian cooking, it is the primary oil that is used. It really does have a bold flavor and I really can't imagine using it for foods that are not Nigerian. It doesn't seem like it would work. I'm glad to know it's a good oil though, because I've certainly had enough of it d uring my lifetime.

Thanks for letting me hang out on this thread! I'm learning a lot.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#69 of 422 Old 03-04-2006, 08:54 AM

I'v been reading these threads for months, so I suppose it's time I introduced myself, and I need to subscribe just to keep up with the thread. I have been gradually moving to a NT diet since the beginning of the year. My story seems to be pretty common. I have been vegetarian for 16 years, through two pregnancies and my body is finally just falling apart. I have been struggling with mood swings, pms, depression, skin problems and chronic iron deficiency and other vitamin and mineral deficiencies. But, what really got me thinking was the crazy tooth decay in my 2 year old (who was EBF for 9 months and has had a fantastic vegetarian low sugar diet since then ).

I have been soaking grains and beans and making my own bread, and I just tried my first batch of saurkraut. I have a local source for raw milk and chicken, turkey and beef, and just got my first small order of beef. I am still struggling with the homemade yogurt (I hate the taste) and kefir (I don't have any grains, so I have been using storebought kefir). I like fish, and would love to include it, but am worried about mercury and other contaminants. Anyway, it's a start and I am learning so much about nutrition. I probably spend about $500 a month right now on food.
#70 of 422 Old 03-04-2006, 11:13 AM

So my sauerkraut has been fermenting in a "warm" spot for three days. Warm being tthe inside of my never-used microwave. It is probably still not 72 degrees as it is winter here and we keep our house at 55. How do I know it is time to transfer to the fridge? Ther ecipe says it might take longer in cooler kitchens.
#71 of 422 Old 03-04-2006, 11:40 AM

Just taste a little bit. Thats how I do it Yooper. If its as tangy as you like then its done. Leaving it too long might cause mold to grow but I have left mine as long as 5 days in the winter without any mold. As well when you open the jar you will hear a bit of a fizz.

Not too scientific! But it works.
#72 of 422 Old 03-04-2006, 01:07 PM

Do most of you still get your cow milk in the winter?

The lady we get our milk from doesn't have any right now because her cow is pregnant and won't have any until spring. So we just haven't had any this winter. I have bought cream, it is not organic but only pasturized not ultra like the organic I can get and wayyy cheaper. My DH has only recently said something about buying some milk. Oh and it is not homogenized since it is just cream. Do you think that is a better choice than organic ultra-pasturized milk?

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#73 of 422 Old 03-04-2006, 02:52 PM

UGH, the money issue. We spend a lot. About $1,000/mo. because DS and I are eating both NT and the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. And DH eats the SAD and eats out a lot. But just in the past week I've located a local buying club (the same one that stocks Whole Foods) thru http://www.unitedbuyingclubs.com/ plus a new pastured dairy/meat co-op that also has all kinds of stuff at great prices, including fermented foods AND goat's milk for DS!! I'm in heaven!!

Mehera,
Yep, I remember my early post-veg chicken jello days! It melts on heat, easy to freeze for later and add to anything. The gelatin is excellent for the gut, soothing and enhances digestive enzymes.

I just saw on your blog that you are going to try to join Just Dairy! (I belong now but am in process of breaking off into a smaller group out of Tewksbury - not near me but it's going to be well worth it I think 'cause we can get meats and other products regularly too.)

Feel free to contact me if you have any ?s about JD. Cyndy is not necessarily the best communicator ... and the group has gotten so large there's confusion quite frequently. I've picked up in Cambridge on occasion, so let me know before you go and I'll give you tips.

Stephanie,
I belong to a large dairy co-op in Eastern MA that works with several local dairies so we've still gotten milk. Although a few dairies on our list have closed for the winter too. And there's been a lot of shortages b/c the cows just don't produce as much.
#74 of 422 Old 03-04-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta
Also, one more question. I don't know if any of you have/had a fussy/cranky baby . . . does NT help with that? I mean, I think the root of all health certainly comes from diet and I've been wondering if it's maybe my diet that is causing ds to be a demanding baby or is it just his personality . . . What illnesses have you all cured eating in the NT way?
Yep, DS was colicky. Antibiotics at birth. Formula b/c he was very dehydrated from a 40 hr. drugged labor. Plus my gut wasn't so good. I couldn't lay down the proper intestinal flora for him even through he was totally EBF after only 2 days of supplementary FF. (Hadn't found NT yet tho .)

Lactose intolerance was probably the cause of our colic. This all turned into a high needs baby and toddler with digestive issues. His behavior has ebbed and flowed with the current state of his digestion so clearly... behavior is absolutely connected to digestion, I was just posting the same today in the Gut Healing Tribe.

I think NT can have huge impact: soaking all beans, grains, nuts. Making sure to have yogurt/kefir/fermented foods and bone broths everyday. And grass fed dairy, cod liver and coconut oil. These are some very healthy foods that can heal the gut and immune system and calm the nervous system with proper fats.

In our case, we had to do one step further than NT and do the Specific Carb Diet to eliminate all those foods which we couldn't digest fully. Although since I gradually got worse as my body got burdened by demands, I wonder if I did find NT earlier and committed wholly to it, it would have worked then.
#75 of 422 Old 03-04-2006, 07:40 PM

waa...I don't think my cream cheese turned out either.....I give up...lol
#76 of 422 Old 03-04-2006, 08:05 PM

So, I tasted my sauerkraut. I think it needs more time. But it is SOOO salty. I do not have a raw milk source so my only choice is the salt method. What can I do when i am ready to eat it to make it less overpowering?
#77 of 422 Old 03-04-2006, 08:42 PM

Hi mamas.

I've just read a disturbing report on the methods of CLO distillation. You can read the article here . We take the Carlson's Super 1000 mg gel caps right now. Based on this article's description of the process tho I'm now concerned that the vitamin A & D in Carlson's might be synthetic. They state on the label that it IS from cod liver oil but this article is making me wonder. Also the WAP website no longer recommends this brand. I think mainly because it doesn't contain enough A. The ones we take give a good dose of both A & D (6000 for A and 750 for D) and the children's one too. But there is the possibility of switching to the Green Pasture 'Blue Ice" version which lots of folks here have given a thumbs up to in the cinnamon flavor. And also it was one of the ones recommended on WAP site. I've got an email into Carlson's asking them this question but haven't heard back yet. In the meantime I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and chuck the Carlson's and buy the Blue Ice. Not too thrilled about throwing that $ away but even less thrilled about the presence of synthetic A & D in our bodies.

Honestly sometimes tho I find it hard to keep straight all the (sometimes conflicting) info. Fruit is good, fruit has too much sugar. Raw veggies are loaded with enzymes, most veggies need to steamed lightly for easiest digestibility and bio-availability. And on and on.

Yooper, the kraut will probably need to sit in the fridge a few weeks for the saltiness to dissipate. I have reduced the salt in the kvass to 2 tsps and sometimes it's enough and other times it isn't and mold grows on it. I've used 2 tsps with the ginger carrots and gotten good results.
#78 of 422 Old 03-04-2006, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
So, I tasted my sauerkraut. I think it needs more time. But it is SOOO salty. I do not have a raw milk source so my only choice is the salt method. What can I do when i am ready to eat it to make it less overpowering?
What kind of salt did you use?
#79 of 422 Old 03-04-2006, 11:06 PM

Yea! I made my own coconut milk today. It was really easy and now I just can't wait to use it. I am wondering if I can use the leftover coconut in something like macaroons though. Most places just say to discard it. Does that mean not use it?
#80 of 422 Old 03-04-2006, 11:08 PM

welcome carnelian! i really hear what you're saying about kindness and working with one's body!
#81 of 422 Old 03-04-2006, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
I do not have a raw milk source so my only choice is the salt method.
You can use whey from dripped yogurt as starter.
#82 of 422 Old 03-04-2006, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian
Still the childrens' snack situation can be tricky sometimes. I haven't figured out a graceful way around the junk so I am just clumsy and direct about it .

I'm also interested in the acid/alkaline balance of foods taken in and am thinking that perhaps the next step will be addressing that balance in our diets. I'm beginning to learn which foods are acid and which alkaline.
I love it re: clumsy and direct, what do you say exactly?

Last night I was having dinner with friends and one of them played a game with me, "I'll name the food and you tell me what's bad about it!" Well of course I had A LOT to say about everything and it went on for quite a long time, too funny.

I could have sworn NT said something about the acid/alkaline issue not translating to certain food properties in particular but the body as whole? Too lazy to walk downstairs to book for the second time tonight to check it out though.

I totally get the whole conflicting advice thing. Makes me CRAZY too
#83 of 422 Old 03-04-2006, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticat
Yea! I made my own coconut milk today. It was really easy and now I just can't wait to use it. I am wondering if I can use the leftover coconut in something like macaroons though. Most places just say to discard it. Does that mean not use it?
I think it says to discard b/c it's just lot of cellulose fiber. You can probably use it, it just won't act like regular coconut shreds b/c a lot of the oils and taste in it has been stripped out.
#84 of 422 Old 03-04-2006, 11:37 PM

I would like to make the almond milk drink in the NT book but dd#1 is allergic to dairy. The recipe specifies whey... (with the other recipes I have added salt instead). Since we would prefer the almond milk to be sweet, I'm not sure quite what to do. Any advice?
#85 of 422 Old 03-04-2006, 11:49 PM

I like Larabars but they are pretty expensive and not NT. So, I spent about $20 on nuts and stuff. They were super easy to make. I have 4 dozen in my excalibur. That would have cost more then $70 plus I can use crispy nuts. I made cherry pie (my favorite), apple pie, banana cookie, and chocolate coconut chew.
#86 of 422 Old 03-05-2006, 12:31 AM

I just got coconut oil for the first time. What are your favorite uses for it, what can it replace when cooking? thanks for any info on using it.

Oh, man if we keep up this pace we are going to have 30+ pages this month
#87 of 422 Old 03-05-2006, 12:56 AM

Carey you can use CO in anything...I love it in biscuits...not NT but yummy...hehe...I also melt it and put it in shakes/smoothies or bake and fry with it....etc...
#88 of 422 Old 03-05-2006, 12:57 AM

OT: ps. Does anyone know how to change the background colors?? when the board updated itself it booted my purple/blue colors..I don't like this tan/blue color....
#89 of 422 Old 03-05-2006, 01:02 AM

nevermind..I just accidently found it....lol
#90 of 422 Old 03-05-2006, 01:24 AM

Is there any way to make chicken noodle soup NT compatible? I had the strongest craving for it while I was sick this last week; when I felt human again, I roasted a chicken, made stock with the carcass, and then made the soup. I figured that had to be better than what comes out of a can!

we use coconut oil is most everything. There are a few things I don't care for it in, but it works well for lots of things.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page