NT March Thread... - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 422 Old 03-06-2006, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So are you saying just doing a mix of oats and wheat would fix the problem? Just soaking them in the same bowl together?
#122 of 422 Old 03-06-2006, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybirds2
So are you saying just doing a mix of oats and wheat would fix the problem? Just soaking them in the same bowl together?
Yep. It's also best to have them ground, that is, not oat groats and wheat berries.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#123 of 422 Old 03-06-2006, 04:22 PM

Give me about two weeks and I'll post a proper summary. You ladies will find this very interesting -- there are lots of differences across grains. I'm still absorbing it.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#124 of 422 Old 03-06-2006, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
If I buy in bulk and freeze, what would you all think about freezing cream and later defrosting for butter. I figure frozen milk defrosted for kefir would be fine.
I would make it into butter first, then freeze, but that's only because I have only tried to freeze butter, and I know it works.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#125 of 422 Old 03-06-2006, 06:59 PM

Gale Force -- is it only phytase that breaks down phytates? Does the acid environment only help the phytase, or does it break things down separately (if that makes sense)?

#126 of 422 Old 03-06-2006, 07:07 PM

Amanda,

If you are only a couple hours from Organic Pastures, can't you just buy the butter (and cream and milk) unfrozen at all the Whole Foods and other HFS in California? Or do you get an even better deal buying direct at the farm? I wish we didn't leave CA.

That's really interesting about the grains. I can't wait 'til your book comes out.

-Kelly
#127 of 422 Old 03-06-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force
Oatmeal
Like other grains, oatmeal has phytic acid, but it also has low levels of phytase, the enzyme that breaks down the phytic acid. Soaking does break down a bit, but really all bets are off on plain oatmeal. Sorry ladies. If you mix oats with another grain high in phytase (wheat, rye), you're good to go. We are oatmeal lovers around here so I was disappointed to learn this about oatmeal.
I think I read this somewhere too, but thought that it was due to the processing of most oatmeal (rolling/flaking) and then bagging it which would cause the phytase to break down, as opposed to fresh grinding it? I could be wrong. Also, if you were soaking in whey, wouldn't the lacto-ferment help break it down (even if you were using pre-rolled/flaked oats?).
#128 of 422 Old 03-06-2006, 07:44 PM

At OP a gallon of milk is like $8 at Whole Foods it is $16.
#129 of 422 Old 03-06-2006, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toraji
I think I read this somewhere too, but thought that it was due to the processing of most oatmeal (rolling/flaking) and then bagging it which would cause the phytase to break down, as opposed to fresh grinding it? I could be wrong. Also, if you were soaking in whey, wouldn't the lacto-ferment help break it down (even if you were using pre-rolled/flaked oats?).
toraji -- I don't know for certain but I am looking at data cited from another source I have not yet found that did experiments with different grains and it's just harder to break down oatmeal because of the lower phytase. I don't think I've seen experimental data using whey versus lemon juice or some other acidic substance, but there is still a big hurdle to cross with oatmeal. It's the same with soy -- you have to ferment it and let it sit for something like 2 weeks before any reasonable amount of phytates are reduced. It's just a big hurdle.

Brisen -- yes, it's the acid environment and the warmer temperature that helps activate the phytase that breaks down the phytic acid.

And, yep, Lindsey is right that the milk direct from the dairy is about 1/2 retail.

So make some mondo batches of butter?

#130 of 422 Old 03-06-2006, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lao80
At OP a gallon of milk is like $8 at Whole Foods it is $16.
Oh yeah, those $8.00 bottles at WF are HALF gallons LOL!
Wow, 8/gallon is a great price!
#131 of 422 Old 03-06-2006, 10:04 PM

I'm a happy girl right now. I've been wanting a dehydrator for ages now, but $$. I just scored an excalibur (9 tray) for twenty dollars! I'm praying it works well. I'm so excited, I have so many plans for some raw healthy goodies and such.
#132 of 422 Old 03-06-2006, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

I AM SO JEALOUS. I HAVE BEEN DREAMING ABOUT AN EXCALIBUR! Where did you get it?
#133 of 422 Old 03-06-2006, 10:22 PM

I feel so blessed, these things never work out for me! It was listed on craigslist. I was getting so close to just forking out the $200 for a new one, too. Even though that would be totally irrational for us right now.
#134 of 422 Old 03-07-2006, 12:21 AM

I was just thinking a dehydrator would make a lot more sense than running the oven for 12-24 hours to dry nuts and for lots of other things... Craigslist just added our city- I'm definitely going to have to check for one. Is Excalibur the best?
#135 of 422 Old 03-07-2006, 12:40 AM

Yah, they're the best. I got mine of Craigslist, too. I think I paid $120 and it was pretty new.
#136 of 422 Old 03-07-2006, 11:26 AM

question about making yogurt
I am trying to figure out where to get my heat from so that I can keep the yogurt warm. My pilot light on my gas stove only gets up to about 80 degrees, the low setting of my crock pot gets up to 130 degrees, the oven on warm setting is 120 degrees. We dont have a light in our oven to add a light bulb to keep it warm. Is there any other way to easily do this?
#137 of 422 Old 03-07-2006, 12:00 PM

Yoghurt -- you can use a cooler with hot water; if you can find a fish tank heater, they have a thermostat on them, and should be able to handle enough water for yoghurt, unless you are making a huge batch. I use hot water bottles and towels packed around the yoghurt in a cooler, but I have to refill them a few times to maintain the heat (or at least I think I do -- I don't have a thermometer, so I am just guessing).

You can also try sitting the jar in a pot of hot water on the stove, and turning the burner on briefly now and then to maintain the temp. You can use a candy thermometer to check the water temp this way, but don't forget to turn the stove on now and then... and don't get distracted and forget to turn it off, either

#138 of 422 Old 03-07-2006, 12:04 PM

What about a heating pad? Would that work for yogurt? I am having the same problem. I made it in my oven on warm, but I think it was a little too warm. The oven is electric, and the light does not stay on so it is not warm enough by itself.
#139 of 422 Old 03-07-2006, 12:54 PM

i am so behind on the thread again! dh hates that i run the oven all the time too--tho he LOVES his crispy peanuts. i'm going to check our craigslist, and maybe ebay. good to know that excalibur is "the best."

i am trying to slow down, tho, after reading here that you "should" take 2 years so as not to become overwhelmed (or broke).

i cooked my first potroast. it was incredible! soaked in buttermilk and cooked in a new le creuset pot i got at marshall's. man that thing cleaned easily. we are slowly updated our cookery.

but i just wanted to post to say hi; that i am insane and ordered milk from green pastures (i'm on the east coast); and that my local raw milk should start flowing 3/18. i am so freakin' excited.

anybody else finding they need to eat more food than they used to? or are my girls having a growth spurt?

JaneS--I just saw your post from a few days ago! Yep, Just Dairy. I'm so excited! Is there anything else I should get from the farm? I asked about eggs and butter. But Organic Valley eggs have been BEAUTIFUL lately. I'm going through 6/day at least. Now I have to see about joining a WAP group.... I sent away that card in that back of NT;0. i am such a dork--i LOVE this stuff!

(eta about the post i just read)
#140 of 422 Old 03-07-2006, 02:24 PM

Yogurt help: I just posted a 'NT yogurt help question', JaneS answered, and Xenabyte gives good directions in thread 410576 (heating pad included). After reading all the different ways, I'm going to try my dehydrator, since the oven is unreliable, and I am unreliable, too, for cycling the stove/oven/slow-cooker on and off properly. My husband bought me a cheapie dehydrator for my birthday, and it works fine. But I don't like food drying on plastic, so I'm going to replace the plastic racks with food-safe metal somehow.
#141 of 422 Old 03-07-2006, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolena
JaneS--I just saw your post from a few days ago! Yep, Just Dairy. I'm so excited! Is there anything else I should get from the farm? I asked about eggs and butter. But Organic Valley eggs have been BEAUTIFUL lately. I'm going through 6/day at least.
The eggs are wonderful, the hardest shells you've ever experienced. The butter is cultured, so it's a bit cheesey tasting, which I like, but puts some other people off. It's not available every week, and it's called "Berkshire Cheese" on the web and for ordering b/c of legal issues which I don't really understand! Around me, Star Market has the best price on Kerrygold butter which is grass fed, in with the rest of butter display. Stop & Shop carries it too, its in cheese bins there. The farmstead cheese is good too and reasonable ($6.90/lb)
#142 of 422 Old 03-07-2006, 05:12 PM

I find grassfed butter to be very cheesy. It took me quite awhile to get used to it. It's more like a food than a spread. So different than the standard butter.
#143 of 422 Old 03-07-2006, 08:50 PM

So I got some chicken livers, and was thinking about making pate. How long would I expect it to be good in the refrig? Just trying to decide whether to freeze some livers for later, or make the whole batch and eat it over a week.
#144 of 422 Old 03-07-2006, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneca
Worldshakerz - This sounds so yummy, but I'd be concerned that the hot water mixed with the oatmeal and yoghurt would actually kill the good bacteria in the yoghurt, thus not neutralizing the phytates. What do you think? I'll try it with room temp water and hope it comes out cuz it sounds so yummy! Thanks for the recipie.
Yeah, what you say does make sense about the hot water. This is someone's recipe I got from the local WAP chapter. I'd say room temp water would be better too. Maybe she meant to write warm water, like it says in NT for soaking oatmeal.

#145 of 422 Old 03-07-2006, 09:15 PM

Do any of you have the Perfect Pickler? I am looking for some feedback from anyone who has used it.
#146 of 422 Old 03-07-2006, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaSAR
What about a heating pad? Would that work for yogurt? I am having the same problem. I made it in my oven on warm, but I think it was a little too warm. The oven is electric, and the light does not stay on so it is not warm enough by itself.
Yeah, this is how I've always done mine and it always turns out great. Heating pad on low and wrap the jar up in a bunch of towels.
#147 of 422 Old 03-08-2006, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldshakerz
Yeah, what you say does make sense about the hot water. This is someone's recipe I got from the local WAP chapter. I'd say room temp water would be better too. Maybe she meant to write warm water, like it says in NT for soaking oatmeal.
I did it with warm water and it turned out fine...probably would with room temp too...It has turned into a hit here. I am going to need to make a new back again this weekend.
#148 of 422 Old 03-08-2006, 05:30 AM

Subbing

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#149 of 422 Old 03-08-2006, 12:13 PM

More NT Qs

1. Lots of the recipes in the NT book call for Piima cream or the other kind (cannot remember the name right now). I cannot make either since I do not have those cultures and cannot get whole raw milk (I did scroe some raw milk but the cream has been skimmed off). What would be a good replacement? Organic sour cream?

2. I travelled a great distance yesterday to get some raw dairy products. She gave me something called Viili cream (but she was pronouncing it vilia or filia cream). It tastes and looks sort of like runny yogurt. She says I can take 1/4 cup of it and mix it into 1 quart of the skimmed milk she gave me and leave it out for 24-26 hours to make more. What the heck is this stuff? Ayone heard of it? What else can I do with it?

3. So now that I have a few raw milk products (skimmed milk and cheese) doea that mean cooking with them would be like pastuerizing them? Can I make pudding with them? Is mixing cheese into a soup or casserole going to make it no longer "raw"? I have that same question with fermented veggies. I have a great sauce I would make with sauerkraut but am not sure if heating it bad.

4. I cannot get the raw milk on a regular basis (her cows and goats are not producing enough to sell extra), is it better to:

-skip the dairy altogether
-buy organic pastaurized products
-buy raw but not organic
-stick to only organic past. yogurt. cultured butter, and kefir (lady said those are still "raw" because of cultures)

5. Is cultured butter better than regular? If yes, why? I find it to be so hard that it is difficult to work with.

6. Is cottage cheese good for you? I never see it mentioned anywhere but it is one of the few dairy products I actually liked before going vegan.

7. Where on earth do you all get cream? All of the raw sources I have talked to only sell the milk after they take off the cream. The co-op does not even sell "cream", just ultra pastuarized "creamer" for coffee.

Sorry for all of the Qs. I seem to know less the more I learn.
#150 of 422 Old 03-08-2006, 12:22 PM

How long am I going to feel bad? I know it has only been 1.5 weeks since we introduced dairy and eggs into our formerly vegan diet. I have felt REALLY crappy ever since. I have a very phlemgy throat, have very sapped energy, and feel like I am on the verge of the flu or something. On the up side, I have been sleeping better than I have in over a year which is the reason I even started looking into NT to begin with. But despite all of this great sleep, I feel so tired. I am a bartender and being this low in energy is making me miserable at work, not to mention chasing my 2.5 yo around. Dd and dh are fine with the switch. Dd is lapping up yogurt as I type. I have not been eating very large amounts. So far is 1.5 weeks I have had 2 eggs, a little cultured butter, a little raw cheese, and a little organic yogurt. EXCEPT yesterday we travelled to a raw farm and the woman was so kind and showed me all of her stuff and tricks. She also served up heaping bowls and glasses of many different dairy products. I was so grateful for her to help me out but I was very sick feeling when we left. I even threw up a couple of times last night. I ate more dairy yesterday than everything I have had in the last 1.5 weeks times 10. Today all of my symptoms listed above are amplified suggesting that it is indeed the dairy that is getting to me.

Any former vegans go through this? Is this normal? Until yesterday I was only having very tiny amounts here and there. I think I was lactose inotlerant before I went vegan so I have been very careful to stay away from straight up milk or ice cream (the big culprits before). My work schedule is not going to be letting up any time soon and I am tempted to run back to veganism. How long should I stick it out? (Dd and dh will not be going back regardless).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page