Sourdough Pancakes turning into Bread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-06-2006, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been experimenting with sourdough recently and since it has been a recent source of interest on the thread, I thought I would share.

I start the night before by creating the sourdough sponge. I take one cup of sourdough starter and put it in a crockery bowl. I then add two cups of water and two cups of flour and let it sit over night.

The next morning, I put my cast iron griddle on the stove and let it heat. I take a half cup of the sourdough sponge and put it in a mason jar with a half cup of flour and a half cup of water. I mix it well and put it into the refrigerator for the next use.

To the sourdough sponge I add:

2 teaspoons salt.

Everything else is whether I feel like it or not:

2 eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 C. buttermilk
More flour or other ground grains, whole grains or fruit.

I just want something that ends up the consistency of pancake batter. I like
the batter on the thin side. If you like fluffy pancakes, you could add a teaspoon or two of baking soda, but I do not because I do not like fluffy pancakes.

At this point, make and eat yummy sourdough pancakes until you have a buddha belly. Tea is lovely too!

With the batter that is leftover, I add enough flour to make a stiff dough. I then knead for at least 500 strokes or 20 minutes. I let the dough rise in a crockery bowl for about 24 hours. I then grease as many loaf pans as I need or sprinkle baking sheets. I shape the dough (this morning it was two loaves) and let rise for another 12 hours.

I bake the bread at 325 degrees F for 45 to 60 minutes, until it is golden and the bottom sounds hollow when thunked.

This is turning out to be the bread of choice around our house. I normally use whole wheat flour as well, fresh ground.

Have fun experimenting!
#2 of 2 Old 03-06-2006, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sounds yummy!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page