Farm Fresh egg mamas! X-post (NT mamas?) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-20-2006, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let's talk about your favorite ways to cook all those farm fresh eggs! I have found that the yummy freshness cooks up differently. The eggs are richer, and more moist. I have not had luck with scrambled or boiled eggs. We are basically using them for fried eggs and baking. Oh and french toast. I have 2 dozen eggs overflowing my fridge right now.

I think "oh good, I cooked 3 eggs for me and the kids for breakfast, that made a dent in them!" And then the kids come in with 3 more eggs.

So what do you make when you have an abundance of eggs? Any 3+egg recipies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2006, 10:03 PM

I would think you could do quiches, egg casseroles, omelets and I made a blintz casserole yesterday morning and I think that took 5 eggs to make. Hope that helps w/catching up w/the egg production!
Old 03-20-2006, 10:08 PM

I'm surprised you don't like them scrambled, my girls love them that way. I'm not a scrambled egg person myself...

As for hard boiled, if you let a dozen sit in the back of the fridge for a week or so, you can boil them then. Just because you get them coming in fresh doesn't mean you have to use them all fresh

I throw one or two raw eggs in my breakfast smoothies. My girls adore eggs cooked any way. So, on a weekday, the three of us can easily go through five eggs - two for Talia and one for Anika, fried or scrambled, and two in my smoothie. Plus dh boils some a couple times a week for egg salad sandwiches. And I use a lot of eggs baking gluten-free. You could experiment with the basic techniques of a flourless chocolate cake recipe, reducing sugar and including nuts or something, and come up with some healthful muffins - that would use eggs up real quick!

You could make fritattas, quiches or custards. Epicurious has a great looking recipe for a kale flan that I'm really looking forward to trying.

You can use egg whites to make merengue cookies, then freeze the yolks to include in smoothies later. (I sometimes throw in one whole egg and an additional yolk.)
Old 03-20-2006, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

About the scrambled eggs, they just don't get fluffy like store bought ones for me. They end up being more like little bits of fried egg. Can anyone share how they do scrambled fresh eggs?
Old 03-20-2006, 10:45 PM

THere was a thread not to long ago with great info on cooking eggs. Got one of my favorite recipes off of it. Do a title search in this forum using eggs. It was a couple of pages long.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
THere was a thread not to long ago with great info on cooking eggs. Got one of my favorite recipes off of it. Do a title search in this forum using eggs. It was a couple of pages long.
Can you by any chance remember the thread title. A search for eggs on this board brings up eighty bazillion results (I tried)
Old 03-21-2006, 01:12 AM

It was something like, "how do you like your eggs?" Make sure you're doing a title search and not just doing a search on the word. Shouldn't be that bad.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:38 AM

Scrambled farm fresh eggs

We eat so many scrambled eggs, usually about a dozen at a time.

I also take 2 eggs and fry (not crispy) in a egg skillet once flipped put a slice of cheddar on it to melt then put into a crossant thats got mayo

A egg skillet is a little square cast iron pan.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:06 AM

It was called, "ways to cook eggs for breakfast" There have been other good ones too.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the tips everybody!
Last night I made some challah bread with half white and half wheat flour (2 eggs) Then I cut the whole loaf up this morning and made a big batch of thick french toast . We ate some and froze some. (10 eggs)
a dozen eggs in 24 hours, woo hoo!
Old 03-22-2006, 11:05 AM

Our favorite way is spaghetti carbonara. We eat ours mostly over easy, scrambled, french toast, pancakes, egg salad, and we feed our dogs eggs. when we get overwhelmed we give some to our friends. We have 9 hens and we average 8 a day. It does get overwhelming.

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:25 PM

When I was growing up and we raised hens, we fed our dog some eggs every day too. I swear our dogs were so healthy on the diet we fed them!

Quiches are awesome! I know someone already said that, but they are so easy and yummy! I always use up leftovers with a nice quiche. Rice? good! almost bad kale? Good! fajita chicken? all good good good!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Old 03-23-2006, 12:47 AM

Just came across a really cool tip for boiled eggs...

with the fresh ones, they are really hard to peel after boiling. But if you steam them instead of boiling them, then they become really easy to peel, even really fresh! We were quite surprised, but it worked!

We put them in the steamer and cooked for about 10 minutes for hard-boiled doneness.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:52 AM

That's how I do it for dh. My father gave us an egg cooker by Cuisanart for christmas last year. You just follow instructions for how many eggs (up to seven) and put a bit (maybe 1/4 cup?) of water in the bottom and walk away. It shuts itself off when it's done-maybe about 18 minutes. It also does poached, soft cooked and somthing else. It's about $30 and one of my biggest time savers.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:15 PM

I echo all the cooking methods pps have said (I love quiche... and french toast... and creme brulee!) but here's my latest food fad: I've gotten really sick of eating cooked eggs for breakfast, but I know that eggs are so healthy. I also know that they're way better raw. So I pour a glass of kefir, stir in 2 raw egg yolks (Mercola says that blending them damages the proteins! I'm too lazy to get out the blender, anyway), some stevia, and something for flavor (my fav right now is a little pineapple juice. Also: mashed strawberries (I keep "ice cubes" of them in my freezer) or cocoa, or nutmeg and cinnamon). Oh, it's so yummy, and I feel SO energized after I drink that! It's actually a really great pick-me-up!

User Tag List