How about a fermented veggies thread? - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-03-2009, 11:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by velcromom View Post
If you have yogurt, you can drain it and make "ranch dip" for the kids to eat with raw veggies. It's also good as a spread on sandwiches or wraps.

Sauerkraut is good in sandwiches, too. Dill pickles can be chopped up and mixed into chicken or tuna salad.

I don't grate the carrots for my ginger carrots, the kids like them in sticks. If you like, you can just get some organic baby carrots and use them whole. Rinse them with filtered water before you jar them up though, they have been dipped in something that inhibits bacterial growth.
Great ideas! I never even thought of those simple things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2009, 07:08 PM

bumping because I love this thread (and I'm making kimchi)

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
Old 11-23-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Look at this amazing scientific encyclopedia of fermenting fruits and vegetables!! http://www.fao.org/docrep/x0560e/x0560e00.htm#con
Whoa! This looks fascinating! I just clicked the link and went down the sauerkraut - very interesting to see named the bacteria I'm hopefully eating Thanks for sharing it!

It may be addressed in the link you gave, Pat, but I'm wondering about my ginger carrots. They've been fermenting over a week now. They're WAY to salty (I used Sally Fallon's NT recipe - had heard others say theirs was too salty but I was optimistic lol!). I was thinking of grating and pounding a new batch of carrots, but not salting them, then mixing the two together. Would the new carrots still be able to ferment, and then hopefully cut the salt in half?

I've read of people rinsing sauerkraut that's too salty, but figure that might wash some of the bacteria, right? hmmm... adventures in fermentation!

btw, I am eating our fourth and final jar of sauerkraut that was half red, half green cabbage. It's SO pretty! I added garlic slices to this one, though, and BOY is it garlic-y. Almost too much, but I still like it.

blessed Catholic mommy to DD 10/07 and DS 2/09, little one due 8/12!

Old 11-23-2009, 05:51 PM

I've heard it is a no-no to add new vegetables to an older ferment. But, it sounds more practical, traditionally to do so.

The salt brine is a big deal related to suppressing pathogenic bacteria during the process. But, Sandor Katz doesn't worry too much about it, it seems...

I haven't read the whole link above. I was so excited to share it.

Pat

I have a blog.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
Look at this amazing [SIZE=2]scientific encyclopedia of fermenting fruits and vegetables!!
WOWEE!!!! Looks awesome! Can't wait to check out those links!!!

Thanks Pat!!!

Lauren, wife to my dear and mama to amazing River
I traditional foods
Old 11-25-2009, 09:49 PM

Thanks for the link WuWei!
Old 11-29-2009, 03:12 AM

Bumpity-bump.

I made yogurt this week and dripped it for whey. Tonight I made a batch of ginger carrots. It's been quite a while since I've fermented veggies, so I thought I'd post and hopefully inspire someone else to ferment as well!

3 days till I get to eat them, so excited!

Hi, I'm TJ!  lady.gif | NMY Grad love.gif | Mama to DD 5/13 babygirl.gif

Old 11-29-2009, 02:04 PM

Our last batch of carrots, I left out the ginger and added italian parsley to see if I would like them better - the kids like the ginger carrots but they aren't my favorite - I would love any suggestions for another flavor besides ginger or dill.

My last dill and bread & butter pickles went mushy on me! I guess I can't expect to enjoy 100% success with this process. I think it was because the cucumbers weren't fresh enough.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:11 PM

I just found this thread, and I haven't had chance to read all the way though (later I will!), but I wanted to post a great source for reasonably-priced crocks (disregard if this has already been mentioned). http://www.lehmans.com has a range of sizes, from 1-15 gallons, I think, USA made ceramic crocks with wooden lids. We have a 2 and 3 gallon that we used to make awesome cucumber and bean dill pickles, green cabbage saurkraut, red cabbage saurkraut, and kim chee-- when they were "done" enough, we packed Mason jars, covered with brine, and have stored them in the fridge.

I, too, Sandor Katz's books, especially Wild Fermentation. I haven't had good luck with any of Sally Fallon's recipes, though, especially her ferments... Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Vinegar, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation http://www.amazon.com/Preserving-Foo...9514668&sr=1-2 is another book I really liked...

Looking forward to reading the rest of the thread, soon!

-Katie

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north
Old 11-29-2009, 06:57 PM

I'm trying my hand at sourdough. It's going... slowly, lol. I also have some l-f ketchup, tomatoes, salsa and mustard going. I have a wort going for my soda. It's a Hibiscus, Cherry and Lemongrass blend. I hope that it turns out ok, lol. Fermenting is fun!
Old 01-24-2010, 12:49 AM

subbing

Tina - mama to DD1 10.75yrs, DD2 6yrs, DD3 2.5 yrs & baby due in June 2015 and wifey to DH.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:42 AM

I've made ginger carrots and sauerkraut. Right now I'm trying my hand at pickles.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:23 PM

I tried fermenting some fresh radishes from our winter garden, but wasn't really impressed with the results. Disappointed because I've heard good things about pickled radishes. These just got rubbery & really strong smelling. Not like they were "off", just not at all appetizing. The red color from the skin all faded off, made a pretty pink brine, lol. Maybe I need to use daikon radishes?

Our lf carrots in plain brine with parsley was a hit, both kids like them and I even have chopped them up to add to coleslaw & served to dh and also some guests. I'll be starting another half gallon of them this week, think I'll just do plain brine, no parsley this time.

I've used the EFLF bread & butter pickle recipe twice, once I didn't have lemon juice so I used raw acv, and find that I like the taste a lot better that way. I personally think it calls for way too much onion. I gave a quart away to a friend and her dh said he loved the onion though, so I guess it's just a matter of taste.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:30 PM

Funny this thread would pop up tonight! I was just eating some kimchi that I made a couple months ago and it smells like garbage. It has smelled that way since the beginning. I was experimenting with using my very favorite raw store bought kimchi as a starter for my recipe, because in the past I have only had mediocre results making my own. I usually can't get the tang that I like in my cultured veggies. With this batch the tang is there, it tastes good, but it stinks! I have broken it down into smaller jars and put the jars in ziplock bags in their own drawer in the fridge. So, now at least the fridge doesn't smell.
Still, this is not something that I could pull out with guest over. Peeeee ewwww. Nasty.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:39 PM

I am a total thread killer! Is it wrong for my kimchi to smell that bad?
Old 01-28-2010, 08:40 PM

Yeah, I think "smells like garbage" is pretty much a disqualification! And no way this thread will ever die... I think it self perpetuates like lactobaccili do.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:31 PM

I tried another jar tonight, and it didn't smell as strong (at least to my nose).
Confession- I ate the entire jar of the stinky stuff, because it tasted fine.
It was good, actually. Wouldn't it taste or look off if there was something wrong with it?
The kimchi had quite a few strong ingredients and I am wondering if the garlic was the culprit.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:07 PM

Bumping this thread up. Right now I have some Sauerkraut fermenting and I am soaking my Napa Cabbage for some Kimchi.

I do my Kimchi with Korean red pepper powder and whole shrimp sauce from the Korean market. It's the like the classical kimchi that you would buy (not the water one or the radish one). I'm adopted from Korea and went once for work and I was addicted to the kimchi there!

My first batch that I made (about 8 mths ago) was too gingery. I will use less this time.

The Ginger Carrots sound good - maybe I will whip a jar up right now (sounds super quick).

Kimchi is definitely an acquired taste but I love it.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

Old 09-22-2010, 06:15 PM

Nothing but neglected kombucha is fermenting in my kitchen right now. Nearly ready to make a new batch of sauerkraut - the kids requested purple cabbage for it this time for a change.

I am really pleased with my fermented garlic. It is so yummy in recipes. And it's still bubbling away even in the fridge, slowly, but still going!
Old 09-22-2010, 06:56 PM

How do you do fermented garlic??? That sounds soooo good!

Hopefully I will be able to get a Kombucha scoby sometime this week.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:00 PM

It's so easy - six tbs sea salt for every half gallon of filtered water, fill a jar with peeled garlic cloves and pour the brine in - make sure everything is under the surface, let ferment at room temp. Mine went about two weeks before I put them in the fridge. (I'm using elephant garlic from the garden, I started growing it because I got so tired of peeling little cloves for every batch of dill pickles!)
Old 09-23-2010, 09:38 PM

What a great thread! I have only made L-F salsa so far. I am new to this. Two questions:

1. For those of you who make the ginger carrots - what do you use them in? Do you just eat them as is?
2. I was just given a bag full of fresh home-grown tomatoes. I have a ton of salsa, so I don't want to make more of that. We don't really eat ketchup. Any ideas? Can I just ferment the tomatoes by themselves?

The name you give our child will have a profound impact on their journey through childhood, adolescence, and even adulthood. Choose wisely.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:38 PM

I am loving fermented veggies! Yesterday, on the Super Harvest Moon, I harvested a crock of sauerkraut with cabbage, carrot, ginger, garlic, dulse, and red onion. It was delicious! I'm still learning and like to call my fermentations my "experiments".
Old 09-24-2010, 09:55 PM

Great thread! I recently L-F'd some dill pickles per NT. I think I may have not fermented them enough. I had made a few veggies and checked them. On day two there was crackling in the jars. That is usually the sign I use they area ready.

The ginger carrots are good. The saurkraut is really good. The pickles taste like nothing but wet cucumbers. Not sour at all.

Can I take them out of the fridge and "start over"?

Thanks!

Rhianna
Old 09-24-2010, 10:46 PM

I'm not an expert but I would assume that they would start fermenting again once they came to room temp.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:23 PM

I made my first batch of our family's recipe of pickles a couple weeks ago. They are done fermenting and WOW are they bubbly. They taste great and smell good too, so I am guessing the dizzies are okay?? There is a little white scum at the bottom of the jar but I read that is normal yeast and that they are fine. They are just much bubblier than the storebought ferments I have bought and the quick ferments I have made.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

Old 09-27-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvlagrl View Post
I'm not an expert but I would assume that they would start fermenting again once they came to room temp.
Thanks! I am going to give this a try and report back. So other than the fizzy/popping sounds - what other signs do you look for that your ferments are ready?

Rhianna
Old 09-27-2010, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post
Thanks! I am going to give this a try and report back. So other than the fizzy/popping sounds - what other signs do you look for that your ferments are ready?

Rhianna
tasting!
Old 09-27-2010, 09:32 PM

Definitely tasting!!

User Tag List