How about a fermented veggies thread? - Page 12 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#331 of 341 Old 09-27-2010, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just appropriated my mom's crock, which I gave her for Christmas 5 years ago after she was so thrilled with "Wild Fermentation". Well, I guess she was thrilled with it more in theory, as she's never used it and doesn't hardly even buy/eat fermented food (she does beverages).

Anyway, I now own a Harsch crock, it's around 1.5 or so gallons, perfect for us!

I know a crock is not necessary, but I'm excited to get started! I think its ginger carrots first, but I want to do a fruit we can eat with breakfast--which turns out the sweetest? I love the sour taste of fermented foods, but I still have trouble with too tart at breakfast!
#332 of 341 Old 10-04-2010, 01:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can I ask you all a question? How long does it take before your sauerkraut/other fermented veggies start to taste good?

I'm new to fermenting. Just made my third batch of sauerkraut, and I have some pickled garlic in the fridge from months ago. The garlic tasted VILE the first time we tried it - SO strong and bitey. DH and our flatmate were nearly in tears gagging from it. I tried it again very cautiously a week or so ago, and it was mellower in tiny slivers, but I did have a cold, so maybe I just didn't get the full impact. In any case, I think it needs longer.

Our first batch of sauerkraut took MONTHS of neglecting before it changed from tasting like vaguely dank cabbage to tasting krauty... and our second batch, with purple cabbage, ain't there yet. I'm only making the third so we won't run out once the purple stuff gets yummy.

Is it normal for fermented stuff to mature so slowly? Is my initial fermentation too short? I don't use whey, just salt. It's been winter, and it's heating up now - and I've noticed my sourdough mixture becoming more active - will my ferments get going faster in the summer?

Thanks! I do enjoy fermenting, I just wish it wasn't such a drawn-out process!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#333 of 341 Old 10-04-2010, 01:20 PM

Ferments definitely go faster in warmer temps. I think it takes a couple weeks for kraut to stop tasting so much like raw cabbage if it's in the 60's, 70's around here. Dill pickles, about a week. Garlic I believe takes a lot longer. I left mine out two weeks in summer weather (80's inside) and then put it in the fridge where it is still slowly fermenting. I don't use whey either, so perhaps it takes a bit longer for things to get going. I do find that I like to let my veggies ferment a few more days at room temp than most online instructions say to.

Making a new batch before the old one runs out is a good idea.
#334 of 341 Old 10-18-2010, 12:57 AM

ok-- I have a question:

I have several jars of LF veggies, some were great, some tasted off and got pitched. We just use salt water a la wild fermentation author's guidelines.

I have a half gallon of pickled okra w crushed garlic (our last precious okra of the season from our garden) pickling away, BUT it got a LOT of white/ pink/ pale yellow mold on it. I wiped it away, but I don't skim it daily

The okra has some mold settled on it. All the okra are under the brine. Is it ok to just skim it and eat? Is it good? Is it bad? (ok that was a lot of questions). Please help! The brine also looks mostly clear w little blobs of white in it (is it garlic bits? is it mold bits?) We tasted it and it has the LF twang, but tastes good and pickledy.

tia for any answers c:

blessings
#335 of 341 Old 10-18-2010, 02:25 PM

Feedback on my LF pickles.... I kept them out on the counter for about 5 days. Each day I checked them for popping and tasted them. It worked! They got pickly and tasted great.

In fact they are almost gone now :-) Thank you all for the help - I really appreciate it!

Moral of this story: you can ferment again.

Rhianna
#336 of 341 Old 03-29-2011, 07:54 PM

Hello Ladies,

I am new to fermented foods but just recently purchased grains for milk kefir and a scoby for kombucha...

I would really like to make the ginger carrots and pickled garlic tomorrow... We are huge garlic fans and once it is fermented is this something that you can use in any dish you make??

craft_media_hero likes this.
#337 of 341 Old 04-27-2011, 10:00 AM

I definitely agree that temperature affects ferments a great deal.. in the summer here, I can have a ferment done in 3 days (for kraut).  In the winter, a week or more.  Whey seems to speed along the process, as does adding old juices.

I make ketchup (sometimes), kraut, fermented brussel sprouts, and dilly carrots. I have my first ever apple cider vinegar going right now and ditto on hard cider.  I have made gingerale, but used store bought yeast which I'd like to try without if anyone has ideas how!

#338 of 341 Old 04-27-2011, 12:02 PM

I'd try the gingerale using this method, I think it'd work great. Or, you could use whey - put half a cup of freshly drained whey into a 32oz wire bail bottle, fill with ginger tea and cap - let sit a day or two and it will get fizzy. You can do this with any tea or juice you like. Put a towel over the top when you open it, it can be like popping the cork on a bottle of champagne! If it isn't fizzy, add some more whey and let sit another day.

#339 of 341 Old 04-27-2011, 09:02 PM

I aspire to try a fruit soda recipe... we have some ginger ale in the cabinet now. We took one out after 4 days to try it and while it tasted DELISH, it wasn't fizzy. The others have been in their for an additional 5 days so we're due to try them soon. Tried making beet kvass too- not really super bueno. Not fizzy at all and I'm not really crazy about the flavor. I like beets but this is just blech. I REALLY want to love it- so I'm trying another batch. Kombucha never fails us!

I've made a few batches of LF kraut with decent results... after reading this thread I realize that I needed to ferment them longer! They were nowhere near complete. Somewhat tangy but still had that raw cabbagey flavor. I gobbled it up each time but the last batch turned me off and I haven't been eating it. I've been craving the Bubbies kind- I need to make another batch and let it sit longer.

The garlic sounds amazing. I really want to try a killer pickle recipe too. Oh, and LF salsa is on the list this summer!! My mouth is watering now.

Ima to Mizz.Jonas- 14, Isman- 12,Javsar- 9, Nani Gweesa- 4 and Baby Micah born into the Universe sleeping at full term Oct. 19th 2008 and Partner to Abba ~ belly.gif8/2011  Grateful to be Dead  broc1.gif
#340 of 341 Old 04-28-2011, 12:38 PM

Velcromom -- thanks! I'll try that out!

#341 of 341 Old 07-24-2011, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckygirl View Post

Just remember this very old wise tale , Never try canning while Mother Nature is on ya !

it will ruin ALL of your canning . I did test this ! and ruined all my sauerkraut and tomato juice !

So never let any females NEAR your home during your canning ............... and if you have daughters in their Mother Natures month , let them go to a friends home while you are canning !

Fermented means  PICKELING your feggies !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page