How about a fermented veggies thread? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-28-2006, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I just finished making the ketchup I tasted it, You could taste the fish sauce under the other flavors but it wasent like "HOLY FISH! KAACK!"
I'm thinking it may even have mellowed through the fermenting. The trick is having DH try it and if he gets a look and goes "Is there fish in this?!?!"...ummm...we'll all know! he, he, he! (He hates fish!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2006, 12:08 AM

You can always let the ketchup sit in the fridge for a while. Same with beet kvass. When I made the beet kvass I didn't like it at all, but then let it sit for maybe a couple months (just couldn't get myself to try it again). Then I tried it a couple weeks ago and I am so addicted. I couldn't get enough. It was so yummy. A little strong beet flavor, but I sucked it down during every meal!! So keep trying it and it may develop better flavors. I think that is how any ferment works.

I've tried the kimchi last summer adn didn't like it. Sitll in fridge I am not sure what I did wrong. I eat boughten kimchi and love it. Anyone have an exact recipe they follow? MAybe I didn't put enough spice in it. Or mabye cause I used regular cabbage?

I have a new beet kvass brewing so will let you all know if it's just an acquired taste or if time in fridge really helps it.

I soooo want to make some ginger beer. Got the ginger sitting on the counter, but who knows when I will get to it!
Old 03-29-2006, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

I bought some tomato paste yesterday, so I think I'll mix up the ketchup today. I'm just making a small batch though, incase I'm the only one who will eat it. Thanks for keeping us posted on your results squirelletta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticat

I've tried the kimchi last summer adn didn't like it. Sitll in fridge I am not sure what I did wrong. I eat boughten kimchi and love it. Anyone have an exact recipe they follow? MAybe I didn't put enough spice in it. Or mabye cause I used regular cabbage?
I started out using the WF recipe, but now I just wing it. It usually goes something like this:
1 head suey choy, chopped (I know most people use bok choy, but I like something a little firmer)
3 med. yellow onions, thinly sliced
3-4 large carrots, shredded
1 med daikon radish, shredded (I have been making it without this lately because it's not always available)
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
optional: a few chilies, minced or crushed if dry
Salt (about 1 Tbsp per quart)

Mix everything together well. Pack tightly into jars. Cover with cheesecloth and let sit on counter about 5 days or longer. Pack down daily. This recipe should make about 1 1/2- 2 quarts.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:39 PM

Thanks Hibou. I will have to try that next time.

Ok here's another question for everyone:
Do you always use organic everything in your ferments?

I can get a lot organic and this summer grow my own, but some things like bok choy are not available. Is it ok to buy conventional? Like conventional ginger is so cheap compared to organic. I go thru tons in my water kefir and soups and stuff. I just can't afford organic all the time. I did buy organic for ginger beer because I've heard it doesn't turn out with conventional.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:56 PM

At the WAPF western conference, the folks giving the fermentation talk said to not let not having/affording organic stop you. That much of the fermentation talkes care of the negative "stuff" of conventional. I always thought the pesticides and chemicals would hinder the good bacteria from growing. But these ladies said go for it!

And we have used the ketchup at our house for awhile, due to dd's love of catsup. Soon I'll be putting it in the squeeze bottles, though, b/c ours "isn't the same" as grandpa's. But she eats it without complaint most of the time!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
Old 03-29-2006, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Well, the ketchup's fermenting on the counter. It does taste really good! I don't find it fishy at all, but then I love fish sauce. I'm thinking it might be nice with some ground cloves and allspice. Squirelletta, what kind of fish sauce did you use? I used Golden Boy.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:45 AM

I just saw this thread! I didn't feel like fermenting much while pregnant (tired) but now I'm itching to start up again.

I made the root vegetable kimchi from Wild Fermentation and it was a great way to use radishes plus other roots. Can't wait to try the ketchup and some ginger beer- I have the recipe from the westronaprice website bookmarked and have been meaning to make it for over a year now...

Hibou, I use the Squid brand fish sauce (I'm on a thai food kick recently) but I saw that Golden Boy was a favorite and I plan on ordering it from templeofthai.com soon.

Oh, I did buy a huge 2 lb tub of traditional kimchee from the Korean grocer last week. DD loves kimchee too... and sauerkraut, although we just did the Bubbies while I was pregnant and unmotivated.

I love Wild Fermentation.

-Kelly
Old 03-30-2006, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibou
Well, the ketchup's fermenting on the counter. It does taste really good! I don't find it fishy at all, but then I love fish sauce. I'm thinking it might be nice with some ground cloves and allspice. Squirelletta, what kind of fish sauce did you use? I used Golden Boy.
Mine was Dynasty brand. Making your own seemed hard due to access to whole fish and whatnot. And I'm very into doing things from TOTAL scratch! I like the ketchup too, and Im not even a ketchup person! Maybe I'll make some meat loaf and put it on there! (Although you'd be cooking it then.) I have a great recipe from Alton Brown on food TV, and it has nothing weird in there except store bought croutons, which you could easily sub.

hummm....meat loaf.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:09 AM

I made my ginger carrots! They would have been awesome if I hadn't used too much salt. How long do you all leave yours out to ferment? As each day went by it became less and less salty but still, too much in there. I'm gonna try again. I want to make some sauerkraut too.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

I think the ginger carrots take about as long as the kimchi. I would say 5 days, about. (give or take. depends so much on the temp/conditions of your home).

Okay, I know sourdough is a fermented grain, not a veggie, but I just wanted to say that I've been baking with it a lot this week and had some really great stuff come out of the oven. I'm trying to do only traditionally fermented breads for at least a few more weeks since ds and I have been on a healing diet.

The ketchup tastes good. I stirred it up today. It will go in the fridge tomorrow.

Mmmm... I want ginger carrots now. I bought a 5 lb bag of carrots last Saturday from the farmer's mkt to make them, but my ds's ate the whole bag w/in 2 days. It was supposed to last 2 weeks! I'm surprised they didn't turn orange.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:39 PM

I'm just getting into fermented veggies. I made sauerkraut a week or two ago, using the NT non-dairy recipe (ie, extra salt). It turned out ok, but next time I'll use less salt & let it ferment a little longer. I only fermented it 3 days, so it tasted faintly of sauerkraut, a little more of fresh cabbage, but mostly of SALT. I can't wait to try again!

Fermentation is a big change in cooking style for me. I'm used to more "science," less "art."

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

Old 03-31-2006, 11:49 PM

If I had let my ginger carrots sit for a few more days would they have tasted less salty? Does time have that effect?
Old 04-01-2006, 12:51 AM

I think the general concensus on the ginger carrots is that the recipe should state teaspoons instead of tablespoons. Seems most people find them too salty, but do OK with this change!

Old 04-01-2006, 10:25 PM

This thread has inspired me, not only to do some pickling (made some sauerkraut the other day--omigod, so good--and some ginger carrots today) but to revisit NT and WF. However, until I can get to the library, I have a few questions I was wondering if people could help me out with:

a) According to the WAP site, fermented veggies are intended largely as condiments, not to be eaten in large quantities. Why? If they make the vitamins more accessible, etc., what would be the problem? Part of me is asking because it's kind of a chore for me to eat my veggies, and I'd happily eat mounds of sauerkraut before making a salad.

b) The packing down method (as opposed to the tight lid method) makes sense to me. But is it a problem if a bunch of stuff floats to the top? I'm assuming I'd know if it all went bad, but I'm having problems getting everything to stay under the liquid and was wondering just how important that is.

c) Regarding the whey--I'm just using stuff I drained from my yogurt. Is that a good idea, or not? I mean, everything's fermenting just fine, but am I getting the health benefits?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me--and thanks again for all the inspiration!
Old 04-01-2006, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phroggies

c) Regarding the whey--I'm just using stuff I drained from my yogurt. Is that a good idea, or not? I mean, everything's fermenting just fine, but am I getting the health benefits?
That's what I do. I strain my yogurt and get whey and thick yogurt/cream cheesy stuff. Everything turns out great for me.

Old 04-05-2006, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phroggies

a) According to the WAP site, fermented veggies are intended largely as condiments, not to be eaten in large quantities. Why? If they make the vitamins more accessible, etc., what would be the problem? Part of me is asking because it's kind of a chore for me to eat my veggies, and I'd happily eat mounds of sauerkraut before making a salad.

b) The packing down method (as opposed to the tight lid method) makes sense to me. But is it a problem if a bunch of stuff floats to the top? I'm assuming I'd know if it all went bad, but I'm having problems getting everything to stay under the liquid and was wondering just how important that is.
I don't see why you can't consume fermented foods in larger quantities. Cheese and cultured dairy, alcoholic beverages, fermented meats, etc, are all consumed in larger qty's.

If you get floaties on your packed down veggies, skim it off as best you can. Your veg's should still be fine.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:14 PM

does anyone put shrimp paste or anchovie paste in their kimchi? The kind I buy at the store has that in it, and I know it is a great source of nutrients.

How do you make your shrimp paste if you use it?
Old 04-06-2006, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

I just tasted my pickled garlic. It's been sitting in the fridge for about 3 weeks now and it has "cured" and mellowed so much! It is still a little strong so I'll let it sit a couple more weeks, but it is delicious! I think I might make a smaller jar with dill and chili peppers in it.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:04 PM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
Subbing - great thread!

So far I've had success with kimchi, ginger carrots, and beet kvass. I've been using whey with everything, and haven't had any sliminess, thankfully. I also switched to a MUCH better brand of Celtic Sea Salt, which seems to have solved my problem with everything coming out too salty.

I'll be starting to TTC within the next 4-6 weeks, and I'm really hoping I can get used to the flavor of the fermented veggies now and be able to continue eating them through pregnancy. I'm also hoping they help (especially the beet kvass) with liver function so that I don't get morning sickness quite so bad this time around.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:49 AM

LOOOOOOOOVe it!
Old 04-22-2006, 05:16 PM

I started some pickled garlic last week, but I think it may be going off and I want to know if there is anything I can do to save it.

I don't know if I put enough salt in it to start with. It is water garlic, dried thai peppers and salt in there. The liquid isn't clear, it is kinda cloudy and some of the garlic turned green.

I was thinking about putting more salt in it and maybe some of the juice from the kimchi I bought at a store. Do you think that would maybe save it?

help!
Old 04-22-2006, 07:22 PM

Ohhh!! Some of the garlic in my pickles turned green too. It didn't look like it went bad so I decided it absorbed some of the green from the cukes. Why is it doing this? Hmmm....anyone know?
Old 04-23-2006, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

If the garlic turns greenish, it's still fine. It's just a natural chemical in the garlic reacting with the brine. I can look it up for a better description if necessary. My brined garlic went a little cloudy too, but it tastes fine. If it smells really bad, then it's probably bad. Otherwise, it's probably fine.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:37 PM

thanks I think it is still good so far. I would have been really sad if I had to throw all that garlic away!
Old 04-24-2006, 11:46 PM

I love fermenting... the roasted red peppers and cucumber pickles (I slice them) are a favorite. I get incredible kimchi from a Korean grandmother, so I've never attempted that... she puts scallions in it, so yummy. I'm ordering a half gallon of sauerkraut thru my co-op, my first batch didn't turn out well and I'm scared of it

The NT ketchup was way too fishy for my taste following the recipe, I use a tiny bit or just leave it out now.

The mayo was very successful, after a week or two in the fridge, it's so firm, like pudding.

The Orangina is pretty good but I didn't notice "an interesting banana like flavor" as Sally said.

I use whey drained from yogurt most of the time to cut down on wild yeasts or "the slimies".
Old 04-25-2006, 01:24 AM

MMMMM I love kimchee!!!!!! I am seriously addicted! I made my first batch last month and ate it all in about 3 days. It did smell extremely strong though ( we had guests over and it became the running joke of the weekend!) I would love to have a nice crock to make it in!
Just a note about covering your ferments ... I put a very clean zipper baggie into the mouth of the jar and fill it with water until the level of the brine is completely overtp of the veggies. then I cover the top of the jar with a clean dishcloth and an elastic band... works for me!

:
Old 05-03-2006, 01:45 PM

I thought this was interesting. I picked up info on moon sign dates and they have the best dates to make kraut on. Here is what it says for central standard time zone
may 20, 21
june 16.17
july 13,14,22,23
aug 10, 11, 18, 19
sept 14-16
oct 12, 13
nov 8,9,18,19
dec 6,7,15,16

My grandma swears by using the moon sign dates for planting and for weaning animals (which is why I got it to try and wean my 3 yr old) You can get them at earl may if you live in another time zone.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory maker
I thought this was interesting. I picked up info on moon sign dates and they have the best dates to make kraut on. Here is what it says for central standard time zone
may 20, 21
june 16.17
july 13,14,22,23
aug 10, 11, 18, 19
sept 14-16
oct 12, 13
nov 8,9,18,19
dec 6,7,15,16
Wow! lol this could take fermenting to a whole new level!
Old 05-04-2006, 12:36 AM

That's pretty interesting about the moon and kraut! It reminds me that there's a woman on an NT list I'm on and she says she can't get her butter to churn properly when she has her period.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:33 PM

Kimchi question:

I started my kimchi a couple of days ago. Made it, had about an inch between the goods & the lid, let it sit. Apparently, it wasn't enough room & the kimchi has expanded. Yesterday, I squished it down & took some of the veggies out to make more room in the jar. Today, it had expanded more. I took of the lid, noticed the veggies on the very top didn't look as good (carrot had sort of bleached??). I skimmed off the top veggies & have added smaller jars filled with water to weigh down the veggies. Does this sound unreasonable to anyone?

User Tag List