How about a fermented veggies thread? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 341 Old 05-28-2006, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This sounds good. The veggies really do need to be either weighted or squashed down daily. If the ones on top get a little funky looking, just skim them off and keep fermenting.
#92 of 341 Old 05-28-2006, 04:26 PM

Thanks, Hibou! For some reason, I felt like I shouldn't be messing with it, but it sounds like it does need some gentle nudging to keep it on the right track.
#93 of 341 Old 06-02-2006, 09:18 AM
EBG

[QUOTE=artisticat]You can always let the ketchup sit in the fridge for a while. Same with beet kvass. When I made the beet kvass I didn't like it at all, but then let it sit for maybe a couple months (just couldn't get myself to try it again). Then I tried it a couple weeks ago and I am so addicted. I couldn't get enough. It was so yummy. A little strong beet flavor, but I sucked it down during every meal!! So keep trying it and it may develop better flavors. I think that is how any ferment works.

I've tried the kimchi last summer adn didn't like it. Sitll in fridge I am not sure what I did wrong. I eat boughten kimchi and love it. Anyone have an exact recipe they follow? MAybe I didn't put enough spice in it. Or mabye cause I used regular cabbage?

I have a new beet kvass brewing so will let you all know if it's just an acquired taste or if time in fridge really helps it.

I posted a beet kvass question as a separate thread and nobody responded.You seem to have experience with this, hope you can help...
I made beet kvass in two jars. I fermented it for about 3 days.
One is still purplish, the other has turned brownish and the veggies look moldy and there is some white mold-like stuff floating on the top. The puple one has a few bubbles on the top but not mold. Which one sounds OK? I'm afraid the brown liquid is bad-maybe didn't wash the jar well enough?
I'd like to know how it's supposed to look and smell before I try it. Thanks!
#94 of 341 Old 06-02-2006, 09:49 AM

Mine always smells like beets!! Not sure about the brown one. Could be it was contaminated. Does it smell different and yucky? Sometimes mold (scum) on top is ok and you can just skim it off. After that shake it up and see if maybe the "color" is all at the bottom. But if the beets are moldy (are they at the bottom or floating?) then maybe just toss and try again. If floating you could skim yucky ones out too then shake and see what it looks like. Sometimes i think mine is a little brownish but then when I shake it distributes the color.

My last batch was pretty salty, but not unpleasant for me. Really thick too. I've found now that I've been drinnking it I crave it and love it and could drink tons. When I first started I thought it was disgusting and choked down a shotglass full followed by a chaser. Now I could drink way more than 8 ounces at a time. I've put it in soups too for a slight sour taste.
#95 of 341 Old 06-02-2006, 07:30 PM
EBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticat
Mine always smells like beets!! Not sure about the brown one. Could be it was contaminated. Does it smell different and yucky? Sometimes mold (scum) on top is ok and you can just skim it off. After that shake it up and see if maybe the "color" is all at the bottom. But if the beets are moldy (are they at the bottom or floating?) then maybe just toss and try again. If floating you could skim yucky ones out too then shake and see what it looks like. Sometimes i think mine is a little brownish but then when I shake it distributes the color.

My last batch was pretty salty, but not unpleasant for me. Really thick too. I've found now that I've been drinnking it I crave it and love it and could drink tons. When I first started I thought it was disgusting and choked down a shotglass full followed by a chaser. Now I could drink way more than 8 ounces at a time. I've put it in soups too for a slight sour taste.

After shaking it turned purple, the color is on the bottom half. haven't opened it yet, I'm a chicken. maybe tomorrow so I can smell it. The other one looks like there's not much going on, I think I put too little whey in it that's why it just looks like beet juice.
About the moldy one-so I just scoop the mold out and the kvass is still OK? The beets are still on the bottom, some of them are trying to float but only a little.
#96 of 341 Old 06-02-2006, 08:05 PM

If it is just white scum on top I personally just try and skim it out. Then shake and hope the rest is taken care of by the fermented juice. I mean with saurkraut that is what you do. If it smells way different than the other batch then maybe just throw it out. but I would personally drink it if it smelled like the other one and you were able to basically get most of the moldy parts out (assuming it really is just scum mold)

HTH

Stacy
#97 of 341 Old 06-05-2006, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

EBG, RE kimchi- I dion't think that using regular cabbage would give it the right flavor. Regular cabbage is quite strong when fermented (think sauerkraut). Asian cabbage like bok choy and suey choy (my favorite) are milder and allow the other flavors to come through more distinctively. Of course I've never tried making kimchi with regular cabbage, this is just my guess.
#98 of 341 Old 06-05-2006, 12:25 PM

Huh. Maybe that is why my kimchi never tasted right. I could never find organic bok choy or other chineses cabbage so just used regular. My kimchi has been in the fridge since last fall and I am scared to try it again
#99 of 341 Old 06-05-2006, 01:51 PM

Does anyne have a really tasty pickled beets recipe? If so, could you share? I have tried the NT recip, and it is ok, but not my favorite.
#100 of 341 Old 06-06-2006, 09:20 AM

You can make kimchi with regular cabbage, actually there are some restaurants that serve it. When Koreans first started moving to the States different cabbages were not as available so they used regular cabbage. In fact, there are hundreds of different kinds of kimchi. My personal favorites are cucumber kimchi and radish kimchi.

Also, if you have really old cabbage kimchi that's starting to get moldy, just toss the actual mold then fry it in some oil for about 5 minutes or so. Or you can make soup with it, boil some water, then add kimchi, tofu, and bean sprouts (or whatever you have on hand) and voila! Or make kimchi pancakes-rinse and squeeze out water from cabbage kimchi, then mix with flour, water and an egg. Another frequent recipe-kimchi fried rice

We always have huge jars of kimchi and don't eat it fast enough before it starts to go bad so I've gotten really good at cooking with it!

DS 4/2002 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif
DD 3/2009 toddler.gif
#101 of 341 Old 06-08-2006, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinuviel_k
Does anyne have a really tasty pickled beets recipe? If so, could you share? I have tried the NT recip, and it is ok, but not my favorite.
Wild Fermentation has one which looks Most libraries carry this book. Also check this out. It looks good as well.
#102 of 341 Old 06-09-2006, 03:06 AM

Thanks! I just picked up Wild Fermentation at my local bookstore. it's great! The woman who sold it to me wnted to know if there was a college class that needed the book or something, because about 10 people have come in asking for it this month. Word travels fast, I guess.
#103 of 341 Old 06-19-2006, 03:47 PM

I made the fermented ginger carrots for the first time and I think it tastes funky. I like carrots and ginger separately and I love sauerkraut and kimchee, so I can't tell if it's bad or if I'm just not used to the taste. I made it at the same time as I made a batch of sauerkraut with the same salt and whey, and the sauerkraut tastes really good. The carrots are retaining their orange-red color, so I'm thinking it's fine. But I still have to say it tastes unpleasantly funky to me. I'll wait and see if I like it better as it ages...

Now I'm afraid to try all the other recipes. I've only ever done sauerkraut and kimchee and I already knew I liked them and what they were supposed to taste like.
#104 of 341 Old 06-22-2006, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
has anyone tried the fruit kimchi recipe in Wild Fermentation? got any tips? i just tried the kimchi in Nourishing Traditions (similar to the one in Wild Fermentation) - see my post in the NT-June thread.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#105 of 341 Old 06-22-2006, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelletta
Has anyone tryed the Ketchup? No one awnsered yet?
I know others have spoken up already, but I wanted to chime in and say that I made the ketchup. In fact, it was the first thing I ever made from NT, and I liked it so much that I started making other stuff too. Heh. It reinspired me back into my kitchen.

The texture is more like Hunt's brand ketchup than Heinz's brand, but I wonder if that could be fixed by mixing. I'm going to dig it up from the back of the fridge and use my stick blender in it and see.

We haven't eaten much ketchup since I've made it, since after I made it we started eating better again and haven't had much in the house that tastes good with ketchup! *LOL* I should mix it up, bottle it in an old ketchup bottle and bring it over to the kids I sit for to eat, so it gets some good use. *grin*

The older boy *ADORES* pickles, and now that their CSA is open again, he and I are going to make different kinds of pickles and he's *VERY* excited about that. He also wants to make bread, but our last sourdough attempt failed because we left it out in the rain. Heh heh heh. We'll try again next week.

~Kissy
#106 of 341 Old 06-23-2006, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=bluets]has anyone tried the fruit kimchi recipe in Wild Fermentation? got any tips? QUOTE]

Haven't tried it, but would love to hear how it turns out if you make it!
#107 of 341 Old 06-23-2006, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibou
I finally bought it too. I like his recipes much better than SF's, and I love the diversity- flipping thru the book totally inspires me!?
Ditto. He rocks. (I missed the chance to meet him & do a workshop at The Barefoot Farmer's Steiner-esque farm! My dh said go, he'd take a day off work to stay with the kids, but I was just too beat.) Though maybe one summer I'll make it south.

Quote:
Has anyone made their own ginger beer or root beer? Thought this might be a good way to get my dh to start on fermented foods (he thinks it's totally creepy). I am specifically wondering about sweetners. I don't want to use refined white sugar, but would it be better to use honey or Rapadura?
I made ginger beer but honestly don't remember the result (that's not a good sign .) I've made great beer, mead, & plum wine though.

Made awesome kraut (with that pineapple vinegar) & scary kraut (too hot, not enough salt, kind of sketchy food bank shredded cabbage). Started making my kimchee years (20!) ago, love that stuff. I've made plenty a pickle in my day, but never fermented; I'm going to do that this year.
#108 of 341 Old 07-12-2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:

Haven't tried it, but would love to hear how it turns out if you make it!
NASTY. WF says to let it ferment for a week. Well, the fruit just all turns to mush. blech.

So now I'm wondering if the trick my dad uses for crispy sauerkraut might also work for less-mushy fruit kimchi. That trick being to add an inch or so of a piece of horseradish root, or a small sprig of a cherry tree (leaves+bark).

#109 of 341 Old 07-12-2006, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets
NASTY. WF says to let it ferment for a week. Well, the fruit just all turns to mush. blech.
Does the recipe have whey in it? I think that whey makes things mushy.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#110 of 341 Old 07-12-2006, 04:32 PM

well, no, the recipe didn't call for whey. but i used whey (not knowing that it turns things to mush). excluding the mushiness, i wasn't too thrilled about the general flavor - garlicky fruit just isn't too appealing to me (yet?).

ETA: so in NT, fallon writes that one can cut back on salt and use whey instead. is that not true? (that's why i used whey)

#111 of 341 Old 07-12-2006, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets
ETA: so in NT, fallon writes that one can cut back on salt and use whey instead. is that not true? (that's why i used whey)
You can definitely USE whey, and I think it probably imparts some nutrition, it's just that it makes the final product mushy. I have no idea why it does that. I usually skip the whey and just use more salt.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#112 of 341 Old 07-13-2006, 02:09 AM

My sauerkraut and ginger carrots both contained whey, but they are both very crispy. But then again, I reduced the whey a lot after reading that it makes things mushy. I also followed the directions in either NT or Wild Fermentation not to wash my veggies too well so I can leverage the wild yeasts on the veggies. In fact, I don't remember washing the cabbage at all -- just took off the outer layer. I also reduce my salt even though I also reduce my whey significantly.
#113 of 341 Old 07-13-2006, 12:45 PM

I haven't tried fermenting vegetables yet but have been reading about it for awhile...

As for using the crocks from crockpots I think they would be ok as long as the vegetables stay submerged under the brine... now to form an airtight seal I've read that people have filled bags with water... this was done with large crocks maybe double bagging a ziplock bag of water might work in this case too... the water would create a seal with the bag you just want to make sure the bag is sealed tight and won't leak. The weight of the water in the bag will keep the vegetables down in the brine as well.:
#114 of 341 Old 07-14-2006, 01:23 AM

I did use the baggie trick once my kraut got depleted enough that a jar wouldn't do it. It worked, but the bag leaked. That's why Katz suggests using brine in the bag.
#115 of 341 Old 07-14-2006, 01:38 PM

I just got the WF book at the library yesterday and last night read that Katz suggests using brine in the bag... I had only read previously that some people fill bags with water for a weight.. I think the brine makes a lot more sense to use though... your keeping that sterile environment.
#116 of 341 Old 07-14-2006, 01:41 PM

Does anyone have a favorite fruit kimchee that they would like to share?? I'm just starting to get into fermented fruits and vegetables and if someone has a successful recipe I would appreciate it... those immediate failures have a tendency to turn the family completely off..LOL
#117 of 341 Old 07-14-2006, 01:48 PM

Has anyone here ever made a brandied fruit jar??? This is something that is quite common among the Amish and Mennonites.

I've made it in the past and love the taste although until the other day I never really thought of it as a fermented fruit mix..

I've also tried creating a Rumtopf jar but absolutely hated it... most of my fruits discolored and got mushy..

The difference between the two recipes are the types of fruit used and the brandied fruit jar used brandy where as the Rumtopf used rum in it.
#118 of 341 Old 07-14-2006, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftynsewon
Has anyone here ever made a brandied fruit jar??? This is something that is quite common among the Amish and Mennonites.

I've made it in the past and love the taste although until the other day I never really thought of it as a fermented fruit mix..

I've also tried creating a Rumtopf jar but absolutely hated it... most of my fruits discolored and got mushy..

The difference between the two recipes are the types of fruit used and the brandied fruit jar used brandy where as the Rumtopf used rum in it.
do you have a recipe or two to share?

#119 of 341 Old 07-14-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftynsewon
Does anyone have a favorite fruit kimchee that they would like to share?? I'm just starting to get into fermented fruits and vegetables and if someone has a successful recipe I would appreciate it... those immediate failures have a tendency to turn the family completely off..LOL
there's one in Wild Fermentation (my book is at home and i am not but see below) that looked like it would be good but i don't particularly care for the outcome... it doesn't use whey but i did - see a few posts ago about my experience with this recipe.

from what i recall, the stuff that goes into your jar:
small bunch of grapes
2? plums
1 pear
1 apple
1/2 pineapple
small bunch of green onions
1-2 jalapenos
1-2 dried chili peppers
3 Tbsps crushed ginger
3-4 garlic cloves
small bunch of cilantro
an unknown amt of sea salt

mix all together in a bowl. stuff into jar. add enough filtered water to bring liquid level to just above the surface.

#120 of 341 Old 07-19-2006, 10:34 PM

I made the root vegetable kimchee from Wild Fermentation last week with the CSA beets, carrots and radishes. Yum. I got a head of cabbage at today's pickup so I'm going to make my first sauerkraut. I am going to try it in the crockpot crock since I haven't dropped the $$ for a Harsch crock, although I keep meaning to scour Goodwill and the garage sales for one. Anyone have luck finding cheap crocks used? I need inspiration! There have got to be tons of them sitting in people's basements and garages unused waiting for me to discover.

I would love to hear more about the brandied fruit recipe (I have brandy in the house!)

-Kelly

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page