Mothering Forum banner

How about a fermented veggies thread?

37K views 340 replies 140 participants last post by  Kentuckygirl 
#1 ·
Anyone interested in talking about their favorite ways to make fermented veggies? I love my veggie ferments, and I think they deserve as much respect as yogurt and kefir (which are also staples in our house). Fermented veggies are living foods that can heal and balance the digestive system, plus they're delicious to boot!

Right now I've got sauerkraut and brined garlic brewing on the counter, and tomorrow I'm hoping to start a new batch of kimchi. I'd really like to try something fun like ginger beer sometime soon, and am open to any new ideas!

#127 ·
My red cabbage sauerkraut came out really good, and I ate it, and never had any ill effects from it. So I made some red cabbage kraut with carrot chunks in it. The fermentation went really well - the brine was actually fizzy. The carrots are really yummy, and I like eating them, but they seem to make me a bit burpy. Does that mean something went wrong ? Are they bad for me to eat ? Or do they just need to mellow in the fridge and slow down a little bit ?

TIA,

Linda B.

#128 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by llp34
My red cabbage sauerkraut came out really good, and I ate it, and never had any ill effects from it. So I made some red cabbage kraut with carrot chunks in it. The fermentation went really well - the brine was actually fizzy. The carrots are really yummy, and I like eating them, but they seem to make me a bit burpy. Does that mean something went wrong ? Are they bad for me to eat ? Or do they just need to mellow in the fridge and slow down a little bit ?

TIA,

Linda B.
Yum! I have my first 2 batches of fermented veggies on the counter now, ginger carrots and asparagus. Your kraut sounds sooo good. I am on SCD and have not gotten to cabbage yet but I may try making some to see if I can handle it.

As for burping, I don't know if its bad but the kraut is safe to eat unless it smells gross.

#129 ·
Hi, I'm just getting into this fermenting stuff.

I made some salsa two days ago (using whey plus my usual salsa recipe...NT's salsa recipe looked CRAZY
:
). I checked it today and it was very bubbly, it almost looked alive. I tried one tomato chunk and put the rest into the fridge to see if the taste will change in a week or two. It was good but I'm just not in the mood for salsa tonight.

I'm subbing!

#130 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla
I just took the Wild Fermentation book out of the library, and I think it's one I'm going to actually purchase- unless I can find something else with similar info that doesn't throw in all that OT stuff. I really DON'T need the politics of transgendered people in one of my recipe books!
yeah I didn't care much for that either....

#132 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Selu
I LOVED Wild Fermentation and Sandor. I could feel his heart in the recipes and I loved that he talked about his community and politics.

you could definitely see his heart which is quite genuine, for sure. their community sounded neat too...I just wasn't expecting that when I got it.

#133 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
I just took the Wild Fermentation book out of the library, and I think it's one I'm going to actually purchase- unless I can find something else with similar info that doesn't throw in all that OT stuff. I really DON'T need the politics of transgendered people in one of my recipe books!
Let me know if you find a different one...I would really prefer not to buy the book for that reason, although some of the recipes look good. Maybe I'll buy a used copy and cut the recipes out and toss the rest of the book.

#134 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Selu
I LOVED Wild Fermentation and Sandor. I could feel his heart in the recipes and I loved that he talked about his community and politics.

Me too! I felt like the discussion of the author's community really gave context to how his recipes came about and/or evolved and helped frame their health significance.

#135 ·
Hi there! I'm VERY new to the whole of ferments. Last winter, I unsuccessfully tried to do a wild sourdough starter out of Wild Fermentation but it was a miserable failure.

Right now, I have sauerkraut brewing away on my counter in a crock and it smells like… stinky. I used just cabbage and salt; all the cabbage is submerged beneath the brine. It's not a bad stinky exactly; it's sort of a sour milk stinky. I suppose that's the lactic acid?

Now, is this smell just something I'll need to get used to? It's only been brewing for 3 days. I'm not sure if my pregnant nose can handle this for weeks on end. Plus, I'm having company in a few weeks (mom and dad). They already think I'm a bizarro

Thanks for your help!

#137 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mzfern
Hi there! I'm VERY new to the whole of ferments. Last winter, I unsuccessfully tried to do a wild sourdough starter out of Wild Fermentation but it was a miserable failure.

Right now, I have sauerkraut brewing away on my counter in a crock and it smells like… stinky. I used just cabbage and salt; all the cabbage is submerged beneath the brine. It's not a bad stinky exactly; it's sort of a sour milk stinky. I suppose that's the lactic acid?

Now, is this smell just something I'll need to get used to? It's only been brewing for 3 days. I'm not sure if my pregnant nose can handle this for weeks on end. Plus, I'm having company in a few weeks (mom and dad). They already think I'm a bizarro

Thanks for your help!
I cover and seal my kraut while it is fermenting. It will still ferment but it will not be 'wild', (take yeasts and bacteria from the air.) I rememeber the days of smelling everything so strongly! Let your nose be your guide, if it doesn't smell like you want to eat it, don't eat it.

#138 ·
Cover and seal... hmm... that might be tricky. I'm using a crock I got from Goodwill, muslin over the veggies, and a bag full of water to weigh it down. The brine has risen around the circumference of the bag. I have the outside of the crock covered with a tea towel to protect it from any spiders, etc (I live in the country and I seem to be overrun with spiders no matter what I do).

Please don't take this the wrong way. To those of you who don't cover and seal their crocks -- have you learned to live with the sour milk smell in your kitchen? Thanks for your honesty

#139 ·
I am making the root beer now. It was a bit expensive the sassafras (if you have the luck to find it). I hear it's illegal...I don't if this is true or not.

Anyways it cost me about $18. for the sassafras alone for a 2 qt mason jar. I have tasted it yet...probably will be ready in a few weeks. I will let ya know.

I have made the cherry chutney...very yummy!

how about those open crocks (you find at thrift stores) and just place a cloth over it?

I have made the gingered carrots but didn't care for them too much.

I have a recipe for a polish potato soup that calls for saurkraut...if anyone is interested let me know ( I am too lazy to get up and get the recipe right now
)

#140 ·
Beet kvass question - ds and I tried to make some beet kvass a couple days ago - I only left it in the cupboard for 2 days, and then transferred to the fridge. Today I tried a little and it smelled like dirt (basically like an unpeeled beet) and didn't taste like much at all except salt. Should I put it back in the cupboard for a few more days. There's nothing bubbly about it (should there be?). I just used beets, whey, sea salt and water ... though I covered the mason jars with lids and not cloth. Should I put cloth over them instead and leave them to ferment a bit longer?

#142 ·
I can't believe I had to dig down so far to find this thread! I just tried my first batch of sauerkraut today and it was so yummy! I made a small batch because DH and I usually don't like kraut, but we've only really had the canned kind. This is a whole different animal! I used the WF recipe, which is exactly how I remember my grandma telling me she used to make it as a child during WWI. She always would rag on me for not liking kraut, and would make me eat a small piece every year at New Year's anyway for good luck. She would be so happy to know I made it--I'd never hear the end of it! I'll be doing up another crock mid-December for our New Year's pork roast and this year I'm going to eat a whole bunch in memory of her!

I got so inspired that I did a crock of mixed veggies this afternoon. I've got carrots, broccoli, turnips, parsnips, garlic and cilantro going now. We'll see how it turns out.

I do have a few questions. I notice people here mentioning their crocks bubbling. Mine didn't. Did it still ferment ok? It tasted fine. It seemed to salty so I replaced some of the brine with water a few times. Does that hurt it? Also, is it really so horrible to cook it? Does it kill all the good bacteria, or is there some left? I'd like to do kielbasa and sauerkraut in the crockpot.

Thanks for inspiring me, everyone!

#143 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymous4_20 View Post
It seemed to salty so I replaced some of the brine with water a few times.
This sounds like a good idea. I made a too-salty batch of kimchi awhile back, and although it's mellowed a little, it's still a little too salty. I think I'll try replacing some of the brine like you did.

#145 ·
Can anyone tell me why my sauerkraut at three weeks tastes like a dirty dishtowel...tasteless and yuk.....

OK so I was covering it with old washcloths....and that's what it tastes like right now.....dur

What do I do? Remove the layers on top? Use new washcloths to cover it? OY It is also tasteless (besides the washcloth taste) and lacks any kind of tang or good flavor...help!!!

#146 ·
I am trying to absorb all the good info here but will definitely bookmark and re-read this thread a dozen times!
I do have a couple of questions for you.

Is there a standard brine strength that you use for all veggies or does it change depending on the recipe?

For those that use jars, what do you use to weigh down the veggies? Since I'm starting small, jars would work great, but I can't figure out what to use in them for weight.

Thanks so much, everyone!

#148 ·
I just made a huge batch of kraut today. For the smaller jars, I leave some room at the top, tuck a whole piece of cabbage at the top so it covers the whole top and is tucked in on the sides and then I wedge a sake cup on top of that and close the lid. For my large glass jar, I covered the top with a few pieces of cabbage, and then stuck a small pyrex bowl filled with pie weights on top of that, covered with the jar lid, and then stuck one of DH's heavy programming books on top of the lid.

In terms of brine strength, I don't usually make a brine unless the veggies aren't making enough brine themselves. I have both WF and NT and I think my recipe for fermented veggies is slightly different from the recipes in the books. If using whey, I use about 4-5 tbsp of whey and 1.5 tbsp salt per 5 lbs of veggies. If not using whey, I use about 2 to 3 tbsp of salt per 5 lbs of veggies. I usually use whey but not as much as NT calls for. If adding extra brine, I use 1 tsp of salt to 1 cup of water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.