How about a fermented veggies thread? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 341 Old 11-17-2007, 01:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How did your ginger carrots taste? I followed the NT recipe without whey, and they were really gingery but edible. I may have used just a little bit more ginger than the recipe called for, but not much. Maybe sweetness is mostly determined by how sweet your carrots are? My guess anyway.

Hey, I had a revelation (though I could be doing this wrong). I just started fermenting this past summer (in Texas, so summer = really hot, and my kitchen is really warm at night), and so my ferments went really, really fast. Well, it's gotten colder and everything is taking longer and I've been confused about how to figure out when they're done. Well, I think I figured it out with my salsa. After it ferments a while, the tomatoes/onions/peppers start to float and a layer of water/juice appears. When that layer is at the bottom of the jar (it usually starts about 2/3 of the way down the jar for me), then I decided it's done. I tried leaving a batch at room temp for another 12 hrs or so after that point and it got really tangy, too much for my taste. But putting on a lid and refrigerating it when I first noticed everything floating seems a good point.
#182 of 341 Old 11-24-2007, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yea! I finished my first batch of fermented vegies. They came out great although I didn't make the carrots in small enough pieces but they are still good.
#183 of 341 Old 11-24-2007, 07:32 PM

Subbing
#184 of 341 Old 11-26-2007, 03:26 PM

I am glad this thread came up again, I wouldn't have seen it and it has soooom much great info.

ANyhoo, I am rather new to this whole thing, and a bit in a fog. I had tried to make some sourdough starter in the past- and failed- or at least I called it failed- I kept getting something that smelled like acetone (yeah like nail polish remover)- not sur what was up with it, but I wasn't eating it without knowing what was up. I really need to find some better instructions.

I did make the fermented bean paste I think she called it from NT- it was good. WE ate it with melted cheese and salsa as a dip (I know heating it likely killed all the goodies) I tried the saurkraut from NT- was a little nervous about it, it had been smelling kind of good, but didn't taste 'done' to me, then it started smelling like off to me (could be just nervous about the whole process). I also tried pickles- one jar seemed good, but the other didn't- could have been that I started with cukes that were a few days old.

Well I am so in the mood to ferment something now. I just picked up a little parsnip and turnip today. I still have some beets around and a little cabbage. I was thinking of trying pumpkin much like she says to do sweet potatoes?

Just wanted to say keep the great posts coming.

Brenda
#185 of 341 Old 11-27-2007, 01:01 AM

I made the salsa from NT
I left out the oregano, and it is really good, but next time I am going to cut way back on the garlic - It kind of stays with you for the rest of the day.
I consider it a success for my 1st ferment.
Sara
#186 of 341 Old 11-27-2007, 04:08 AM

I started my first batch of Kimchi last night, I am so excited and hope it turns out for us.
#187 of 341 Old 12-11-2007, 05:11 AM

I'm going to start fermenting veggies soon. I'm only going to be cooking for me, so I won't need too big of containers.

What kind of containers do you use? I was thinking of maybe the smaller mason jars? Since I've never done this before, I have no idea! What do you recommend for me? TIA!

Hi, I'm TJ!  lady.gif | NMY Grad love.gif | Mama to DD 5/13 babygirl.gif

#188 of 341 Old 12-11-2007, 05:13 AM

Those ceramic or glass jars with the spring-loaded latch that clamps the top down onto the bottom are ideal. They have worked well for me before.
#189 of 341 Old 01-15-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibou View Post
Here's what I do for ginger carrots: (they are easy)
Grate a bunch of carrots- enough to fill a quart-size jar. Add a few cloves of minced garlic (like 2 or 3), and about a Tbsp of chopped fresh ginger. Add a couple tsp's of salt, mix it all up, pack it into the jar tightly so the juice comes to the top. Let it sit on the counter, covered with a piece of cloth for a few days, but pack the veggies down daily under their liquid. When it suits your taste, put a lid on it and transfer to the fridge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibou View Post
I think the ginger carrots take about as long as the kimchi. I would say 5 days, about. (give or take. depends so much on the temp/conditions of your home).
Eee, I'm about to make my first batch of ginger carrots! My first ever l-f veggies!

I'm doing: 2 c. grated carrots, 1/2 T grated ginger, 1/2 T salt, 2 T whey.
Should I change that at all? Add some garlic? Reduce the whey?

#190 of 341 Old 01-15-2008, 02:54 PM

I did the NT ginger-carrots w/ less salt and more whey, and it still was too salty for me. I ate them, but my family wouldn't - too salty. Any suggestions?

I've made the pickled garlic - it's nice chopped in a salad or tossed in spaghetti sauce after the cooking is done. Any other suggestions! I have twelve heads in that jar! We take raw ginger when a cold is coming on and it stops it dead - does anyone know if fermenting affects that benefit or not?

I made kim chi and LOVE it! Sauerkraut is next. The kim chi is even better now that it's been in the fridge several months.

We got a wine cooler on mega-clearance and set it on 50 to chill wine and lacto-fermented veggies after they're done. They seem to do fine in there. I figure it's the equivalent temp of a root cellar and they'll keep for months in there. Any thoughts? So far they have kept just fine, including that 3 month old kim chi.
#191 of 341 Old 01-15-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
I made kim chi and LOVE it!
Could you share exactly what proportions you used, especially for the spicier ingredients? I've been thinking that this is what I want to try next, but I'm worried it will be either bland as dirt or so spicy only my husband can eat it.

Quote:
We got a wine cooler on mega-clearance and set it on 50 to chill wine and lacto-fermented veggies
Neat idea. Sounds good to me.

Quote:
I'm doing: 2 c. grated carrots, 1/2 T grated ginger, 1/2 T salt, 2 T whey. Should I change that at all? Add some garlic? Reduce the whey?
That'll be enough for just a pint-size jar, right? I'm wondering if they'll be a bit saltier than you like--I think the salt is mainly for its preservative properties early on, before the bacteria get going, so if you're going to use whey, the bacteria will get going faster, and it should be safe to cut back.

That said, I've never used whey because we can't have dairy, and I don't remember how much I used (though I remember reading Hibou's post before I did it, although I also skipped the garlic). But I think Hibou's instructions are for a jar 2x the size of a pint-sized one.
#192 of 341 Old 01-15-2008, 07:15 PM

I did exactly the NT kim chi recipe. It was not too spicy, and quite tasty!
#193 of 341 Old 01-15-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I did exactly the NT kim chi recipe. It was not too spicy, and quite tasty!
Thank you!
#194 of 341 Old 01-23-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
That'll be enough for just a pint-size jar, right? I'm wondering if they'll be a bit saltier than you like--I think the salt is mainly for its preservative properties early on, before the bacteria get going, so if you're going to use whey, the bacteria will get going faster, and it should be safe to cut back.
I made my first batch today! I can't wait until they're done. :
I did a little bit less salt, but did everything else the same as what I posted above. It's basically NT's recipe cut in half. My arm got tired grating 2 cups of carrots, I can't imagine doing 4!

Oh, and 2 cups was 4 carrots, for those of you wondering how much to buy.

#195 of 341 Old 02-01-2008, 12:10 AM

I’ve been inspired by a recent episode of Good Eats to try okra. I’m going to modify his pickled okra recipe and try it as a ferment. Alton Brown says it’s not slimy, so I figure it’s worth a shot (because I don’t think we’ll be trying any other okra recipes anytime soon).

Here’s what I’m going to try (in case it works):
Per pint-size jar:
½ pound small-medium okra pods
1 small dried chile, cut in half
½ tsp mustard seed
3 sprigs fresh dill
1 whole clove of garlic
¼ tsp whole peppercorns
And however much salt is typical in the veggie recipes in NT.

Wish me luck!
#196 of 341 Old 02-01-2008, 12:22 AM

That okra recipe sounds great. Let us know how it works out.
#197 of 341 Old 02-01-2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I’ve been inspired by a recent episode of Good Eats to try okra. I’m going to modify his pickled okra recipe and try it as a ferment. Alton Brown says it’s not slimy, so I figure it’s worth a shot (because I don’t think we’ll be trying any other okra recipes anytime soon).
I made that! I used fresh jalapenos instead of dried chilis and added some cherry tomatoes. I actually made two big batches cause BIL has a thing for pickled okra. The first disappeared quickly, the second is good, but is still sitting in the fridge. The okra stays kinda slimy, but also really crunchy. A friend who has a fascination with her dislike of okra says it's the best way she's tried it, but still doesn't convince her to like okra

okra is also good in gumbo...

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#198 of 341 Old 05-03-2008, 05:01 PM

bump.... I needed to find this thread because it's time to start fermenting veggies again (oh, if I'd only known how off-track we'd get with a move, and it was only a short move, 3 hours from our old city...)
#199 of 341 Old 05-03-2008, 06:38 PM

Green string beans recipe from my four yr old son:

Tightly packed beans, unrefined sea salt, handful of whole black pepper corns. They do not turn out spicy; they have the flavour of black pepper without the bite and our boys eat them continuously from the jar if we don't stop them

Also, chunks of sweet onion added to string beans to ferment is nice too.

Sauerkraut seasoned with garlic, nutmeg, and rosemary is super delicious.

Quartered brussel sprouts with garlic chunks turned out very spicy; I've left it in the fridge to mellow.

Cauliflower with mild or hot curry powder, raisins, a little bit of garlic, and unrefined sea salt turned out amazing.

Cauliflower with just salt was also quite delicious.

Broccoli florets with garlic and salt are delicious. I cut the stems up and ferment those with just salt for the manlets- they LOVE the stems this way.

I'm going to try salsa tonight.

:

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#200 of 341 Old 05-03-2008, 07:11 PM

Can you give me just a bit of guidance on how much curry powder you use for the cauliflower? It sounds amazing, and on my own I think I will make it too bland and then we'll all be disappointed. The green beans sound great, I think they'll go on the list to make asap too.
#201 of 341 Old 05-03-2008, 08:00 PM

MMM! Those all sound good! Will have to make some right away!!!
#202 of 341 Old 05-03-2008, 08:39 PM

I am so glad this thread got bumped up! I am about to start my first ever lacto-fermented veggeis after eating them store-bought for a few years. I am going to save so much money!! I am making cortido to have with our weekly mexican dinners (this week it is shredded pork and pinto bean burritos).

I hope it turns out!!
#203 of 341 Old 05-04-2008, 01:16 PM

Yes, Thanks for bumping I've kind of gotten out of the swing of fermenting. Some good recipes and ideas in here!! I can't wait to use garden fresh toms in the salsa!!

A tip I have learned.... when making sauerkraut save the outer leaves. Once it is all tamped down, roll the leaves up and then place them on top of your ferment. The rolled leaves will help keep the veggies submerged

I think I got the tip from another MDC mama- thanks!!

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#204 of 341 Old 05-04-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreggieUBA2C View Post
Green string beans recipe from my four yr old son:

Tightly packed beans, unrefined sea salt, handful of whole black pepper corns. They do not turn out spicy; they have the flavour of black pepper without the bite and our boys eat them continuously from the jar if we don't stop them [...] Quartered brussel sprouts with garlic chunks turned out very spicy; I've left it in the fridge to mellow.
This sounds yummy : Do string beans and brussel sprouts come tasting raw or sort of "cooked" by the l-f process? I wouldn't normally eat those veggies raw .

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#205 of 341 Old 05-15-2008, 01:35 PM

wow...awesome thread. i've made the NT kraut once and we liked it ok. i think the whole L - F veggies are an acquired taste for us...but i sooo want to love them. i think i am going to try the kraut again and the ginger carrots. thanks for the awesome thread!!

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#206 of 341 Old 05-16-2008, 09:45 AM

This is a great thread! I just started reading through and I'm going to use some of the ideas here.
#207 of 341 Old 05-23-2008, 04:49 PM

I just made some jars of kimchee and the carrot recipe from Hibou (I think on page 2--it adds 2 or 3 cloves of garlic per quart). Yum. The kimchee wasn't too spicy, but it's still interesting, and the addition of the garlic to the carrots really improved the flavor--my first batch of ginger carrots was _very_ gingery (maybe more ginger than the recipe, hard to remember), but I was careful with the amounts this time and my first jar of the new recipe is almost gone. I just bought 10# of carrots to make up several jars over the weekend so maybe this time they'll last a bit longer. Fermented veggies taste WAY better than I anticipated.
#208 of 341 Old 08-13-2008, 01:14 AM

I just finished my first batch of cucumber pickles. They got good reviews, but not great ones. They were a bit salty. What I think happened was that as I scummed yeast from the jar I discovered it was easy to pour salt-brine into the crock (a pyrex flour canister) and overflow the brine to a pie-pan below. This technique causes me to lose a lot of lactic acid and add salt, so I figure the pickles got too much salt and not enough sour.

In the mean time I aquired a 2 gallon red-wing crock which belonged to a great-uncle and was being used as a wooden spoon holder by my sister. I have filled it with a layer of cabbage leaves, a large layer of califllower, and a top layer of cabbage leaves, topped by a plate that just fits into the crock. The red-wing has a lip that holds the plate about 3- inches below the absolute top. As soon as the fermenting began the yeast accumulated in a layer across the top again. I didn't want to lose too much of the acidic brine this time, so I placed a coffee filter into a funnel and put that over a mason jar. I dipped water and yeast out of the crock into the filter until I filled the jar. This lowered the brine level an inch or two and I wiped out the exposed surface of the crock with a paper towel. Then I poured the filtered brine back into the crock. It looks good, but I think I have a couple of weeks of daily scumming to know for sure.
#209 of 341 Old 10-31-2008, 09:24 AM

bump cause i love this thread :
#210 of 341 Old 10-31-2008, 12:07 PM

I made kimchee and it is superfantabulous!!! Since it's been ready I've been doing stir-fry veggies all over the place because a glop of kimchee stirred into a stir-fry makes it taste EXACTLY like real Korean food. So yummy. I used the recipe in Wild Fermentation. My husband complained about the smell while it was fermenting but he is impressed with the result!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page