How about a fermented veggies thread? - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 341 Old 01-20-2009, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by staceychev View Post
Awesome, Tanya! What recipe did you use?

(By the way, have you enlisted help for the pounding? My DH is a sauerkraut making fiend lately, and he loves that part...)
I imagine that sauerkraut help could also be found from small children. Admitedly, it would likely be messy, and a shortlived break, but I can't help but imagine that helping mama in the kitchen by pounding veggies in a big bowl could be anything but delightful for a while for a ~5? year old kid. I know when I was about that age (rough estimate not sure how old), that would have been totally awesome, probably even more than helping mommy make dinner, or helping mommy mop the flours. (I think we were actually some help in that, though I'm sure we missed spots. still, "mop wars" was about the coolest game ever. It resembles bumper cars, but involves mops, and children lol)

sorry for the dp

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#242 of 341 Old 02-02-2009, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:
#243 of 341 Old 02-02-2009, 09:52 AM

:
#244 of 341 Old 02-12-2009, 11:09 PM

I read through most of this thread, but can't remember if this was answered. I made 5 jars of pickled beets/turnips 5 days ago and the past 3 or so days the top has a bunch of white soapy bubbles on top. I just skimmed them off with a spoon but what is it? is it because I left the jars without a tight lid? (i just laid the lid on top loosely)

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#245 of 341 Old 02-13-2009, 05:02 AM

I saw the answer to that somewhere around here recently - It's barm - just yeast formed during fermentation. I don't think it's because of the lid, I never use lids and I get a little, but only at the surface of the liquid that is exposed to air, around the weight sitting on top of the veggies.
#246 of 341 Old 02-13-2009, 02:38 PM

Oh I'm glad you bumped this thread. There's so much goodness here. I'm glad someone said they made the ginger carrots with bigger carrot pieces rather than grated. I'm going to try those this weekend. And I have to make more sauerkraut or my little DD will be a sad girl. I can't put it in front of her fast enough!

signature currently in transition
#247 of 341 Old 02-13-2009, 02:50 PM

Someone had a recommendation to use more ginger than the original recipe if you're doing it with carrot slices or spears, and that's a good idea, ours was very bland when I didn't do that.
#248 of 341 Old 02-18-2009, 02:35 PM

subbing..I need a TF mentor

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#249 of 341 Old 02-20-2009, 06:52 AM

great thread!

I made kraut a few weeks ago. We let it go 8 days on the counter. I did have to add salt water near the end to keep things covered.

I LOVE it! I munch on it while I'm cooking dinner. And I've been making way too much sausage and potatoes so I can add it raw to my plate. So far, only my daughter and I like it. More for us!

I'd like to try other things...I don't own NT or WF yet though...
#250 of 341 Old 02-20-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
I read through most of this thread, but can't remember if this was answered. I made 5 jars of pickled beets/turnips 5 days ago and the past 3 or so days the top has a bunch of white soapy bubbles on top. I just skimmed them off with a spoon but what is it? is it because I left the jars without a tight lid? (i just laid the lid on top loosely)
Quote:
Originally Posted by velcromom View Post
I saw the answer to that somewhere around here recently - It's barm - just yeast formed during fermentation. I don't think it's because of the lid, I never use lids and I get a little, but only at the surface of the liquid that is exposed to air, around the weight sitting on top of the veggies.
I'm just starting to get back into fermenting after about a 3 year break, and this is the exact question I came here to ask. I love this thread!

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#251 of 341 Old 02-20-2009, 06:19 PM

Another question: With the sauerkraut I made recently, I put a few garlic cloves in each jar. I didn't realize until I started peeling them that they were starting to sprout, but I put them in (trimmed) anyway. I checked the kraut a couple of days ago, and one clove was all green. Should I be worried?

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

#252 of 341 Old 02-20-2009, 09:07 PM

Some of my garlic turns green and some does not, and I was wondering if it was due to whether it was on the verge of sprouting. We eat the ones that turn green and it's been fine, and as far as I can tell, the flavor of the pickles isn't affected.
#253 of 341 Old 02-20-2009, 09:39 PM

Green garlic...that's funny because ours turns a really deep cornflower blue...

Wonder why?

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#254 of 341 Old 03-01-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolelynn View Post
Regarding the pickled beets recipe in NT...

Has anyone else had them turn out slighlty thick/slimy/filmy? They taste fine otherwise...but is it a bad thing?

Even the beet kvass has the same thing. Is this just the nature of the beet or should I try making them again?
Words of Caution The level of acidity in a pickled product is as important to its safety as it is to taste and texture.
  • Do not alter vinegar, food, or water proportions in a recipe or use a vinegar with unknown acidity.
  • There must be a minimum, uniform, level of acid throughout the mixed product to prevent the growth of botulinum bacteria.
  • Use only recipes with tested proportions of ingredients. http://www.four-h.purdue.edu/foods/P...s%20frame1.htm
Pickling Safety:
Pickles or sauerkraut is soft or slippery: Unsafe

o A. Brine is too weak (less than 10-12% salt)--allows growth of
organisms which cause texture softening and sliminess.
o B. Vinegar is too weak (less than 5% acetic acid)--allows growth
organisms which cause texture softening and sliminess.
o C. Temperature during brining was too high (over 75 F).
o D. Too little brine--all cucumbers must be immersed.
o E. Salt is unevenly distributed on cabbage.
o F. Air pockets due to improper "packing" of cabbage allow for
growth undesirable microorganisms. [Need to tamp well]
o G. Failure to remove scum daily on surface of brine.
o H. Failure to remove the cucumber blossoms--enzymes from the
blossom will cause softening.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/foodsc...ubs/497-05.pdf

I like this site for clear cut information: http://www.cookography.com/2008/sour...ented-goodness

The science behind lactic fermentation: http://www.fao.org/docrep/x0560e/x0560e10.htm

Bottom line, salinity and acidity are critical to safety. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...5&postcount=21

Pat

I have a blog.
#255 of 341 Old 03-01-2009, 08:17 PM

I missed the original beet question, I think. My beet kvass has sometimes turned out sorta thick and slimy, since that was my first time making it, and I have no experience with beets, I thought it was supposed to be that way. I drank it and felt fine. But now I'm going to go read Pat's links too, maybe I just have a gut of steel.
#256 of 341 Old 03-10-2009, 01:02 PM

:
#257 of 341 Old 03-10-2009, 01:09 PM

I made my first kraut about 3 weeks ago, and we just finished it. I used cabbage and onions. This time DH wants to do it Russian Style with carrots and apples instead of onions (onions were good though!)
#258 of 341 Old 03-17-2009, 08:07 PM

Question about the reply on the slippery beets above: isn't the botulism concern primarily for heat-canning? As I heard Sandor Katz explain once, when you "can" foods, the heat destroys all competing bacteria, but can't destroy the botulism guys, so they get unrestrained opportunity to multiply.

But as he said it, lacto-fermenting is the opposite - ALL the competing guys are given the right conditions to multiply freely, while the botulism conditions (anaerobic, IIRC, what else?) are not there.

So all those warnings for heat canning *may* not apply - still a word of caution is good, and I'd want to look more into it if it were my own slippery beets.
#259 of 341 Old 03-17-2009, 08:09 PM

Now for my own project: I just learned that redbud blossoms are edible, and often pickled. I can pickle them w/ vinegar, sure, but I'd rather lacto-ferment them.

I'm thinking I'll use a recipe from NT, say, just the basic brine from the pickled cucumbers, and modify it with spices that complement the redbuds (gleaned from the vinegar-pickling recipes).

Thoughts? I'm excited to try it, but have never come up with my own l-f recipe before, and so don't exactly know what to do. I want to stay safe, so will use the exact ratios of salt & stuff in other l-f recipes.
#260 of 341 Old 03-17-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I never would've guessed the difference could be because of the peppers. Huh. Interesting.

How do you know that you've rinsed off the right amount of the salt? I think this method (adding a set amount of salt, and not rinsing, I mean) appeals because I don't feel like I can mess it up as easily, but it sounds un-authentic and it would be neat to try the other way. Have you been making kimchee for a while now? And the brine--is that salty liquid that came off the cabbage, or a separately-made brine?
I forgot about this thread. I didn't know about the NT recipes and specific measurements until just recently. I learned to make kimchee (cabbage, cucumber, radish, jalapeno) from my Korean friends' family methods. I've been making it for several years. We eat some fermented food with every meal. If you use the salt to wilt cabbage instead of pounding, then you need more salt than is necessary to preserve the cabbage and ferment it. I always eyeball my ferments and keep an eye out for sliminess or off tastes/smells. I now realize that this is less safe than the recipes with specific measurements, but we've never gotten sick.
#261 of 341 Old 03-17-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoretica View Post
Ok so I made the kimchi yesterday. I got MAJOR kudos from DH when he came home from work cause the ENTIRE house smelled like a Korean market. So, apparently that means I did it right.

Here's my question...

When I was mixing the paste, it made these...fumes???....that hit my nose/mouth and I started bawling...think something along the lines of a nuclear onion explosion? So I pasted it blindy onto the leaves and was smearing it around, couldn't see a thing from the tears, so I'm SHOVING it by handfuls into the jars and pounding it in while sobbing uncontrollably :. I stumble to the sink and wash my hands, that helps TREMENDOUSLY, and I look over at the counter and realize I still have over half of it to pack into jars. I've got tears STREAMING down my face, my eyes are red, I mean this is a bit much! 7yo DD comes in to ask what's wrong...I said oh I'm just making kimchi...she says "OH MAMA ARE YOU SAD CAUSE YOU MADE EVERYTHING STINK NOW?"

Anywhoo...has anyone experienced this? We're still dealing with the house smelling kimchi-ish, not a bad thing in itself, and nothing horrible, just a strong smell of it. I can see where ppl say it can stink up the house, if you aren't used to it at least.

So....anyone else think their kimchi was gonna knock 'em dead....literally???

This is hilarious! I like strong tastes and smells, but I guess someone who is more sensitive would react that way. If I store kimchi in closed jars in my fridge, all of my food tastes like garlic and pepper. I guess you made it the "right" way!
#262 of 341 Old 03-17-2009, 10:14 PM

My sauerkraut is actually starting to taste like sauerkraut! It's been fermenting for about a week now. I am very interested in making Kimchi next... I loooove the kimchi from the asian market but I read the label... it's definitely fermented, but it's got MSG in it! And i'm sure it's in no way organic.
Who's done salsa? I want to try it out with our garden tomatoes this summer. DH says he'll "try it". Does it taste much different from normal salsa, in a bad way?

I really, really want to get a Harsch crock. Maybe for my b-day...

Knittin', knit.gifsingin', cookin' Sara , newly single, doting auntie.
#263 of 341 Old 03-17-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisen View Post

I'm making borsht for lunch today. I cook potatoes and carrots and peas in stock (I prefer beef, but I have chicken), and then once they are cooked and the heat is off, I add in some l-f beets (I don't to it like in NT, I chop them, smaller than regular pickled beets, but big enough that they are pieces, yk? they are a bit crispy, still) and saurkraut.
would you mind sharing the recipe? I had it once and I thought it was great! but I also seriously doubt it was with "healthy" natural ingredients...

(also how do you say it?!?!)

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#264 of 341 Old 07-15-2009, 05:08 AM

Subbing
#265 of 341 Old 07-15-2009, 04:07 PM

Is anyone doing any LF with their garden bounties? I started a batch of pickled turnips using the NT recipe (no whey, extra salt) the day before yesterday. I can't wait to try them, I hope they are good--I like turnips but I got a jar of LF turnips from my CSA and they were kind of yucky--had an odd smell--maybe because they do use whey? there were other vegetables in it that i didn't recognize that might have been it, too.
I'm going to do cucumber pickles for the first batch in my new Harsch crock. Then, sauerkraut.

#266 of 341 Old 07-15-2009, 10:04 PM

I'll be using cucumbers from my garden to make pickles, hopefully... they are just starting to flower now so I hope I get good production. I wanted to have carrots for ginger carrots but they aren't doing so well. I'd love to have cabbage for kraut but most cole crops don't love the heat here so I'm planning to grow them in a winter garden.

Another question - has anyone got any ideas why my last batch of whole cucumber pickles became hollow in the centers? They tasted great, but were full of brine.
#267 of 341 Old 07-16-2009, 03:29 PM

i'm about to embark on my first real lactofermenting adventure

i just set up my first water kefir brew, and now i'm gonna do some veggies :

anyway, i just bought organic beets and turnips and found a website that decribes how to ferment them in salt water. it says just slice them up and put them in mason jars with salt water (1 cup of water mixed with 2 tbsp. sea salt per 1 qt. jar) for ~3 days, then store them in the fridge. is that about it, oh wise TF mamas?

anything else you would add to beets and turnips? onions maybe? and i just do them raw?

oh, and for the water, i assume i need to use spring water, like i did with the water kefir?

TIA!

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#268 of 341 Old 07-16-2009, 05:27 PM

I did my turnips & beets raw, in 1/4-1/2 inch thick chunks, with thickly sliced red onion. I think that salt ratio might be too much. I've had luck with 1 tb plus 1 tsp of salt per cup of water.

#269 of 341 Old 07-16-2009, 11:14 PM

Subbing!
I have got some yogurt cheese going and am going to make beet kvass, sauerkraut and for the first time... kimchee. I am also going to put some whey in coconut water and hopefully the fermentation will eat up the sugars.
#270 of 341 Old 07-22-2009, 06:35 AM

subbing I love sauerkraut and want to expand my knowledge of making fermented foods :

ANNIE - Crunchy WAHM to 2 boys & baby girl born 12July08 ~From contentment with little comes happiness â African Proverb

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page