NT April - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 503 Old 04-30-2006, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

After I read what Toraji said about SS last night my DH did a search and found this:

http://missvickie.com/resources/cook...stainless.html

Quote:
Stainless steel is an alloy that starts with basic iron with up to 8 alloys added, depending on the quality. The major alloys in stainless steel are chromium and nickel. The chromium provides rust and corrosion resistance and durability. Nickel provides additional rust resistance, hardness, and high polishing characteristics.

The numbers 18/0, 18/8 and 8/10 refer to the percentage of content of chromium and nickel. To be classified as stainless steel, the metal must contain at least 11 % chromium (no nickel required). Stainless steel used in cookware is normally 18% chromium and 8% to 10% nickel.

Low end stainless steel cookware, mixing bowls, stockpots and accessories are usually 18/0 which are usually not highly polished, and could be subject to some rust spotting.

A simple way to test whether or not a stainless steel pan is 18/0 or 18/8 is to place a magnet against it. If the pan is magnetic, it is 18/0...if not, it is 18/8 (or 18/10). The addition of nickel neutralizes the natural ferrous properties of the iron in the stainless steel.
To make stainless steel better heat conductivity copper or aluminum, is often added to the bottom of the pan and, sometimes, all around the pan.
There are many varying qualities of stainless steel, don't skimp on quality, buy only the better ones. Features to look for include: metal handles, thick heat diffusing bottoms, 18/10 grades and a lifetime warranty.
The principal elements in stainless that have effects on our health are iron, chromium and nickel. As indicated above, iron can be very beneficial. Chromium is also beneficial in small quantities, and you would have to cook four complete meals a day in stainless cookware to come close to reaching adverse effects from chromium intake. Although nickel is poisonous in large quantities, only trace amounts go into the food; not enough to make a difference. Except if you're allergic to nickel. Then you should avoid using stainless altogether.
I read that as "No, Chasmyn, you need to go out and replace you three FAVOURITE (copper-bottomed) pots."

I would love for someone to tell me otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#482 of 503 Old 04-30-2006, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Although nickel is poisonous in large quantities, only trace amounts go into the food; not enough to make a difference. Except if you're allergic to nickel. Then you should avoid using stainless altogether.
But what about this statement? What are the effects of nickel?
#483 of 503 Old 04-30-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
CLO: looking now, but what's your current favorite high vitamin CLO? Brands, flavors and sources please...my order just fell through and I want to place a new one tomorrow. I have a low vitamin for the omega 3's, but kiddos and I need a high vitamin like yesterday...Please review for taste and cost! Also if you have links that would save me some time I want this growing babe to get all the vitamins he/she needs.
DH, DD, and I take Blue Ice cinnamon. 2yo DD takes it right off the spoon after her butter oil and chases it with water. I buy the CLO and BO by the half case so that it is more affordable. http://www.greenpasture.org/products.php
$21.90 per bottle $15.90 per bottle if 1/2 case is ordered (6) $13.90 per bottle if a whole case is ordered (12).
#484 of 503 Old 04-30-2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toraji
The scoop on stainless steel is that if it contains nickel, then it can leach into your foods which means it's bad. Hold a magnet to the stainless and if it sticks then that means that it is safe. The nickel makes it non-magnetic. If it says something like 18/10, the second number is the nickel content. You obviously want the second number to be as low as possible. Apparently the cheapo hardware store variety usually is magnetic.

Some people really like using the enameled cast iron pans like Le Creuset or Descoware. No leaching problems there.

(I need to get new pans!)
SWEET! I was dreading the thought of throwing away my All Clad. Thank you!
#485 of 503 Old 04-30-2006, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain mom
But what about this statement? What are the effects of nickel?
From here:

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts15.html

Quote:
How can nickel affect my health? The most common harmful health effect of nickel in humans is an allergic reaction. Approximately 10-20% of the population is sensitive to nickel. People can become sensitive to nickel when jewelry or other things containing it are in direct contact with the skin for a long time. Once a person is sensitized to nickel, further contact with the metal may produce a reaction. The most common reaction is a skin rash at the site of contact. The skin rash may also occur at a site away from the site of contact. Less frequently, some people who are sensitive to nickel have asthma attacks following exposure to nickel. Some sensitized people react when they consume food or water containing nickel or breathe dust containing it.
People working in nickel refineries or nickel-processing plants have experienced chronic bronchitis and reduced lung function. These persons breathed amounts of nickel much higher than levels found normally in the environment. Workers who drank water containing high amounts of nickel had stomach ache and suffered adverse effects to their blood and kidneys.
Damage to the lung and nasal cavity has been observed in rats and mice breathing nickel compounds. Eating or drinking large amounts of nickel has caused lung disease in dogs and rats and has affected the stomach, blood, liver, kidneys, and immune system in rats and mice, as well as their reproduction and development.
#486 of 503 Old 04-30-2006, 04:48 PM

Make sure to check the inside of the pot, as it can sometimes be different than the outside.

Here is where I got the info from:
http://onibasu.com/archives/cl/17692.html
and
http://onibasu.com/archives/cl/17693.html

Basically someone went to a biological dentist conference and they said that what to cook with should be the same as what types of materials to put in your mouth. Heavy metals are problematic as they can cause all kinds of imbalances to occur. You can see the rest of the thread for info too.

I totally hear you, chasmyn. I am not looking forward to replacing our pots, but I am not sure if DH will even consider replacing them!
#487 of 503 Old 04-30-2006, 05:34 PM

I finally got around to reading EFLF and I *love* it. Like visiting an old friend with some new stories to tell!

I think I'm going to start the Health Recovery Diet if I can manage it. I guess I feel the need to be on some sort of "plan" still. Plus all those new recipes for Kefir sodas look fun.
#488 of 503 Old 04-30-2006, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl
So if Carlson's is out...what about Nordic Naturals? is Blue Ice the only good one? I couldn't find that one in the hfs.
We have the orange ans ds loves it....when I bring the bottle out he opens his mouth!!!

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#489 of 503 Old 04-30-2006, 10:43 PM

Re: honey vs. maple syrup

Yes the raw honey has some things to offer: amylase enzymes and pollen and such for inoculating one against hay fever. (Another spring w/o hay fever, thanks to raw honey and probiotics! I love it!)

But also if you are "sugar sensitive" like having yeast issues, intestinal flora imbalance and such, honey is the best choice among all sugars, b/c it is a monosaccharide and predigested, so it won't feed the bad gut bugs.
#490 of 503 Old 04-30-2006, 10:51 PM

When I use NN, I just supplement with extra A & D in a ratio of 10:1 ... Carlson's has natural pills. They are very small, DS swallows them with water fine (or just chews, they don't taste bad).
#491 of 503 Old 04-30-2006, 10:53 PM

(sticking fingers in my ears)

Lalalalalalalalalalala!

I am NOT running down to kitchen to check my pots. I just got all new Cuisinart ss for Xmas b/c was afraid the cast iron ones I got LAST year for Xmas was irritating our guts.
#492 of 503 Old 04-30-2006, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
(sticking fingers in my ears)

Lalalalalalalalalalala!

I am NOT running down to kitchen to check my pots. I just got all new Cuisinart ss for Xmas b/c was afraid the cast iron ones I got LAST year for Xmas was irritating our guts.
Fuuny, Jane! Me either-one step at a time! I already threw out all my plastic-bought SS pans and now this-ugh!

OK Shanna-I have lots of chicken and carrots-how about you? I have read the book, but did not buy it then-so we will both be waiting for the mail this week!

Keep us updated on your progress!
#493 of 503 Old 04-30-2006, 11:47 PM

Oops, I guess I opened a can o' worms on the cookware issue! It should be amusing when I go to the store with my magnet in hand to test all the cookware. I know the All Clad can be used for induction cooking, which requires a magnetic exterior at least. That's what we're leaning towards now. We have Calphalon presently, which SHOULD have been the last cookware we ever needed to buy, but given the horrendous condition of some of our pans (pitted, dark coating totally gone), I guess not. And now with the health issue of aluminum, we have a good excuse to switch!
#494 of 503 Old 05-01-2006, 12:02 AM

Jane- are they not using synthetic vitamins in Carlson's capsules? Is it just the liquid? I'm not interested in synthetic vitamin A.
#495 of 503 Old 05-01-2006, 12:48 AM

Not to make everyone even more paranoid about their stainless, but my chromium levels increased and that was the only reason I could figure, though I haven't had a soil test.

We use cast iron for frying, stainless pots for boiling/soups/etc, and glass for baking. Well, except for one copper-bottom SS pan I use on occasion for pancakes.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#496 of 503 Old 05-01-2006, 03:11 AM

Re the amylases in honey, if you want to pre-digest the starches in a slice of bread spread some raw honey on it about 10 mins before you eat it and a lot of the digestive work is done for you. Still, all of these sweeteners contain about the same number of 'sugar' grams per tbsp--16!

All my ss pots take the magnet well but only on the outside bottom, not inside or on the sides
#497 of 503 Old 05-01-2006, 11:30 AM

[QUOTE=mom2zselOK Shanna-I have lots of chicken and carrots-how about you? I have read the book, but did not buy it then-so we will both be waiting for the mail this week!

Keep us updated on your progress![/QUOTE]

I'm going to start an Intro SCD support thread for us, that way we can chat out of the way of the bigger issues that people are talkin'bout here and not feel guilty!
#498 of 503 Old 05-01-2006, 11:34 AM

Great idea! Everybody is always welcome here, we learn from each other. But many mamas find this thread so daunting it would be really nice to have a "smaller" one that really just talks basics. Good for you! I'm sure many of us will visit (myself included!) I am returning to NT, but still a newbie I know much more about the SCD...
#499 of 503 Old 05-01-2006, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It's May- time for somebody to start a new thread?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#500 of 503 Old 05-01-2006, 04:27 PM

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...49#post5040749

Thought I would start the new thread!
#501 of 503 Old 05-01-2006, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
Jane- are they not using synthetic vitamins in Carlson's capsules? Is it just the liquid? I'm not interested in synthetic vitamin A.
Would I use synthetics?
No, they are natural. Gel capsules, very small. Actually they do make some synthetic versions, just make sure you get the natural kind.
#502 of 503 Old 05-01-2006, 06:11 PM

My bottle of liquid Carlson's CLO does not lead me to believe it has any added synthetic vitamins in it. Am I missing something? I am quite careful to only take whole food supplements and really didn't think there was anything otherwise in that bottle!!
#503 of 503 Old 05-01-2006, 06:16 PM

Last post then I'll move over:
So have you received other info from Carlson's? I guess that's my question...I have been reading that they are taking out A & D and replacing them with synthetic forms. WHen I contacted them, they repeatedly sent me the same statement. It neither confirmed nor denied the reality that it was happening. I'd love it if it weren't true...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page