Mothering Forum banner

NT April

17K views 502 replies 62 participants last post by  Panserbjorne 
#1 ·
Hey Nourishing mama's! It's a new month.

Has anyone tried anything new and great lately? I'm wanting to try a cereal recipe for my kids and dh in the mornings when I want them to fend for themselves. I've tried one before from EFLF--tasted like Grape nuts.

I'm still working on doing a more NT version of raw. Just wishing I had a source of raw butter. We are loving having the wonderful goat's milk.

Anyone have good jerky recipes/seasoning ideas? I'll be needing to make a bunch soon!

#27 ·
jessica --
I remember reading in N&PD that Dr. Price said the equivalent of one egg of animal protein a day was sufficient. I don't know if he meant that was a safe minimum or what. We eat more meat in the winter and almost eliminate it in the summer (but still eat fish). In the winter, I tend to make one big meat meal a week -- a chicken, a beef roast, usually in the crock pot -- and stretch the leftovers through the week (meat and gravy on bread, soup, stew). Then we'll probably have fish once or twice a week, and I might do up one more small package of meat -- a pound of ground beef, a few lamb chops -- for another meal. This is for a family of two adults, and three kids (6, 4, 1.5). We also do eggs daily, as well as milk and cheese. Once I get a good source of liver, I'll be adding that in.

#28 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessicaSAR
However, I am struggling a little bit with proportions. I don't seem to have a good handle on how much meat to eat (I have been vegetarian for the last 16 years). It is my intuitive sense that traditional diets probably used meat much more sparingly than the SAD.
I'm going to throw out some shocking info on this. I don't know that it would apply to everyone, but I've dealt with multiple nutritional deficiencies. About two years ago my chiro told me I should be eating the protein equivalent of 4 eggs AND 2 lbs of meat EACH DAY. He recommended beef and lamb. (Under other circumstances he's recommended fish for pH, so again, it was for my case at the time). I reported that info to a very early version of the NT thread here and shocked people, including toraji if I remember correctly.

People asked later how it was going. I couldn't report because I couldn't seem to eat that much in a day, ever.

About two months ago my dad came over for burgers. I made up 3/4 pound burgers (1/2 lb is better I've discovered, but I was hungry at the time). We sat outside eating our giant burgers. I was still hungry. I got another burger, shocked the men around here. I ate the whole thing and felt greatly satisfied. Of course, that was not all that I ate that day, so I pretty much met the goal for the first time ever. Haven't done it since

So, I don't know the answer to the question. Perhaps follow your hunger?

#29 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by toraji
re: cooking with dairy
I say if you're getting pasteurized, you're better off cooking the milk before consuming it. Pasteurization makes the proteins incompletely cooked (twisted) which are supposedly very difficult to digest. Once you fully cook it, then it becomes digestible.
Neat! We're just getting past. milk right now. Is this a good excuse to make cocoa?

And I thought that HCl test you posted in the last thread was neat too! I feel a homeschool science experiment coming up...

#30 ·
Pastauraized milk......if used, it should probably be in the cultured form? If I am going to cook it, I am pretty much pastuarizing it anyway. The only thing I have tried thus far is adding cultured viila to soups just before serving, It is not really getting "cooked". If I use pastaurized and homogenized milk to make yogurt and viila, there is some good in it?

And on the olive oil. It is REALLY expensive. I use the cold expellar pressed, organic, EV type. But as far as anyone knows, heating it to medium should not be causing a problem but might be breaking down some of the beneficials? I will start using butter too although that is almost as expensive for me....and it is not even raw....grrrrrr......

And on the tuna....what about sealed packs rather than cans? Does all tuna have mercury? Our co-op does not have it in any form except cans and sealed foilish packs.

#32 ·
Creme fraiche and piima cream are soured creams. very easy to make. heavy cream=whipping cream. delicious. I have never seen it with sweetener added, that must be regional. If you have a choice buy the higher fat content- 36% is gorgeous. Many forms of creamier dairy are 'subbable', depending on the desired result. Cooking makes some dairy proteins easier to digest- they scald milk in India, right? Really it depends on your family's digestion. With sauteeing, just worry about the smoke point. If it starts to smoke, beware of fire or burnt food. Some primitive diets had tons of meat, some little or none. I've been veg 2 different times, one time I went back to meat slowly and the other rapidly. As for fish, go to a fishmonger. You want anything wild caught that's lower on the food chain. Tuna is kinda in the middle- for the canned, light is ok, white is not. If your family has trouble excreting metals, then you need to worry more. There was an interesting article in the Economist about it being more dangerous not to eat fish with efa's than to deal with the toxins. Read the links on westonprice.org about CLO. We have the Carlson's- I bought it on recommendation of mama's here, now everyone says it has chemical vitamins. I'm finishing the bottle, I can't afford the other right now.
I have had no luck with the word of mouth on dairy or pastured meat. The WAP guy in my state doesn't write me back. I have asked at the farmer's market. We can't afford it without bulk buying. I'm going to keep asking, though. We eat meat once a day, at dinner, unless there are leftovers. I often feel like I need more, but I'm pg. I found farm eggs at my local greenhouse (go figure) for 1.50 a dozen, so I'm all about those right now.

#33 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brisen
Gale Force, I think I could eat that much meat. I love meat.
I just wouldn't be able to afford it!
Oh good, I thought I was a freak, so at a minimum I have company.

We got a whole steer in the fall, so I am in beef heaven.

#34 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by provocativa
There was an interesting article in the Economist about it being more dangerous not to eat fish with efa's than to deal with the toxins.
This is something I have been wondering about. It's pretty discouraging, though, when you're trying to figure out what the lesser of two evils is.

Was it the March NT thread where there was talk about chelating mercury? I'll go do a search before I start asking questions...

#35 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gale Force
Oh good, I thought I was a freak, so at a minimum I have company.

We got a whole steer in the fall, so I am in beef heaven.

We accidentally got steaks with a beef order once (I usually sub for ground beef) and I decided to try cooking them rare. Of course, I *couldn't* share them with anyone, just in case I cooked them *too* rare, yk? There were two of them, largeish. I sat down and ate them both.
We were moving recently and had to clear out our freezer -- we had quite a few lamb chops. I had two frying pans full of lamb chops for each meal for a few days. I also discovered that if you fry the lamb chops with a bit of worchestershire sauce and fry eggs in the pan after the chops are cooked, they are very tasty.

#37 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gale Force
I'm going to throw out some shocking info on this. I don't know that it would apply to everyone, but I've dealt with multiple nutritional deficiencies. About two years ago my chiro told me I should be eating the protein equivalent of 4 eggs AND 2 lbs of meat EACH DAY. He recommended beef and lamb. (Under other circumstances he's recommended fish for pH, so again, it was for my case at the time). I reported that info to a very early version of the NT thread here and shocked people, including toraji if I remember correctly.
Oh, I could probably do that now! Especially if I don't eat any grain at all.

Unfortunately my freezer is quite low right now, so we're in famine mode.

#38 ·
toraji,

I have a bad case of Online Dramatitis. Do you think it's related to my B deficiencies?

Amanda

#40 ·
Hi Mamas,
I'm intrigued by NT. And I just saw the NT cookbook in my neighbor's kitchen today. Can anyone provide a link, or NT in a nutshell for me? Sorry to bug into the discussion with the basic questions, but I'm very, very curious. Although we're a vegetarian household. Not sure where this fits. TIA for any additional info.

#41 ·
Bearsmama,
I think that a lot of NT can be incorporated into veggie life (I do it, but am trying to branch out into meat)
I started with making sour dough, yogurt, kefir, sprouting beans, then soaking grains. Get the book and keep up with this thread, you will learn so much from these wise and amazing mamas!
Also consider Wild Fermentation, it's really good

#44 ·
So the range of meat consumption is somewhere between 1 egg and 4 eggs/ 2lbs meat a day. I suppose it does vary between individuals and seasons. I did find that when I started NT I had been craving meat for six months or more and I wanted alot more than I want now. It is probably a good sign that some of those cravings have diminished, although I am still eating some sort of meat every day, as well as eggs most days. I am still a bit uncomfortable with the luxury of so much meat. Somewhere in my little liberal guilt ridden brain it seems scandalous to go through 52 chickens a year just for my little family of four (and if you count the raw meat consumed by my two GSDs it is really scandalous!!). But, I can't seem to come to a conclusion about what amount would constitute ethical consumption (plus, do I get some sort of credit for 16 years of vegetarianism?
)

#45 ·
Interesting meat consumption talk!

We are no where close to the meat consumption of 2 lbs a day. We could eat it, but that would blow our budget!

We consume many many eggs. Probably somewhere between 2 - 3 dozen a week for 2 adults and 1 child.

But actual meat dishes. Hmmm, I would say we have maybe 3 -4 dishes a week that actually contain meat. The remainder are bone broth with legumes and sprouted grains.

I find that if I myself eat heavy amounts of meat it impacts my digestion. I digest beans and grains very well though, I am lucky for that. Although now I would say we have a serving of grains once every couple of weeks. Legumes though we have daily.

Nuts and seeds daily as well.

We still haven't ventured away from chicken and bison as far as meat choices either. We have had turkey but only at Christmas and Thanksgiving.

I have to say though, I really identify with those who struggle with the 'footprint' impact of eating meat. I was veggie for close to 20 years. I am still on the ethical food choice path. I try to make choices that are sustainable when I consume meat or any food for that matter. Choosing local, farmer direct. Using hens and chicken feet to make broth instead of a newly butchered bird. Eating meat that is ethically butchered and raised with respect for the animals' wellness and health. Plus so many other things.

#46 ·
It's funny-I have no ethical problem with eating meat as long as it comes from a small (preferably local) source. It needs to be ethically raised, organic and traditionally fed (NO GRAINS!) I now have a freezer full (well-for me!) of meat and just need to cook it. I was making meat sauce for my dh the other day and had no issue eating the raw ground beef, but then he yelled at me. Apparently he thinks no raw meat while pregnant too. IT was good though and I could have eaten alot more. Weird. I couldn't think about the meat sauce though. Double weird.

I am shocked by how much meat you were told to eat, Amanda! Was that a therapeutic thing? Like eat this much until we solve these problems, or did your chiro feel that it ws a good amount of consumption for people in general?

Glad to hear oxtail is so good. I'll get on that. Umm, at least I'll try. The thing is freaky. My kids think it's great though and each wanted a turn to hold it!

#48 ·
If you're going to eat raw meat while pregnant (and I do) the ground meat is a greater risk of contamination than the tenderloin, although if it's from a small processor, less risk. I love love love carpaccio. We eat 1lb-1.25lb of flesh (meat, poultry, or fish) per day, usually, for dh, dd, and me- basically, dinner contains meat. I wish we could afford more. I have no problem eating unethically produced meats- we don't have the money to eat otherwise. Of course I would prefer not to, but we're just too poor for that, and I have to pay the midwife. For some reason, the smell of beans cooking makes me gag this pg. A freezer is this year's dream, though I'm sure when I save enough for one, the car will break down.

#49 ·
The meat issue is such a personal one. You can see that from the variety of responses to amount and type. My ND, for example, who is a big meat supporter (as long as it's pastured and organic) advises eating no more than 4-6 oz. at one sitting, saying that more presents a serious strain on the digestive system. I'll ask again, has anyone tried organ/glandular extracts?

#50 ·
Provocativa-we are in the same financial boat. That's why we just won't be doing much. I am not there yet myself, but we do the pastured organic meat for dh (and kids if they choose to-they generally don't) I buy maybe three pounds of meat a week, a bag of bones, and two dozen eggs. Maybe in the future that will change. I think the bones will change for sure...they're cheap and I can deal with that. I really like the smell. For me (because my main "issue" is toxins) it's the only way I can even think about meat. Dh would eat roadkill though. SOme may argue that that is a natural source I suppose!

Thanks for the ideas about eating raw meat-didnt' really think of it that way. I just hoped that since it was organic and pastured and frozen for a couple of weeks it woud be fine. But it was ground, nevertheless. I guess I'll have to find a better idea.

#51 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by carnelian
I'll ask again, has anyone tried organ/glandular extracts?
I haven't, but know some people on another list that have. I'll ask what their experience with them was.

I do remember that if you eat things that are whole, like herring, then you will by default get all the glandulars/organs. You can also use the whole dried tiny fish from the Asian markets for soup stocks etc, or eat caviar.

I met one person on that same list who was really into the Aajonus (Primal Diet) who recommended balut. It is basically a chicken embryo (a fertile egg incubated for a few days) which she really wanted for the organs, glandulars, and neonatal tissue (I think that's what she said). She would put it into a smoothie.

Trying not to offend anyone who thinks balut is good eatin' (it is apparently sold in some Asian markets), but I nearly fainted the one time I cracked open an egg and found a formed chick instead. My brother, smarta$$ that he is, said "Did you eat it? It probably would have been the freshest chicken you'd ever eat. Like chicken veal."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.