NT April - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-05-2006, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think it's usually made from the very expensive cuts of meat--filet mignon for example, and ground on the spot for the reasons gardenmommy pointed out. Usually a raw egg, onion and spices are added. I'm not sure how I feel about raw meat. It's not the 'ick' factor more the thought of parasites and the like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2006, 09:54 PM

subscribing

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
Old 04-05-2006, 11:50 PM

I made a yummy soup tonight. I had made a roast late last week, and had a lot left over. Since we aren't eating too many sandwiches, we aren't using it up as quickly as I'd like. So here is what I did:

Chopped an onion, some celery, and some carrots. Sauteed that in EVCO until tender. Added about 3 cups water and a quart of home canned tomatoes. While that was heating, I diced the remaining roast and two smallish zucchinis. Tossed those into the pot, then seasoned with garlic powder, parsley, oregano, sea salt, and fresh ground pepper. I let it all simmer for about 30 minutes. It was delicious! My Dh said it ranked as one of the best soups ever.

Now for what I'd like to do differently:

-Use broth instead of water. I am out of broth, at the moment, as I need to dig out my soup bones and cook them.
-Use fresh garlic. I was too rushed and tired to chop it while chasing a toddler out of everything she could get her chubby little hands on.

Then, I topped it off with a handful of Newman O's, just had to finish off the package, get them out of the house so no one else would eat them. I'm being a good mother, you know, not letting my children have such a thing! Ok, so that is a weakness, and I'm glad they're gone. It's much easier to eat healthy when I don't have a stash!
Old 04-06-2006, 02:01 AM

Oxtail soup- if you can get your hands on oxtail, it makes the best best best soup!! Make stock with oxtail, cabbage, and onion. It's amazing!

Meat eating footprint- Where we live, cattle pastured in rotation help to mimic the way the buffalo used to graze, fertilize, and turn up the soil. So, in that respect, eating meat might even be called eco-friendly

Sourdough- I've taken the plunge into sourdough again over the last week or so, and seem to finally have a good starter. I've been having great success. I have found that my best starter has been made with only water and flour (whole wheat). I've tried starting a starter with commercial yeast, and natural sweeteners, but the resulting breads were heavier. Also, to keep my breads from spreading out too much while rising, I've been letting them rise (and bake) in a size 6 cast iron skillet, which does a very nice job.

I got Alaskan Sourdough from the library and was very intrigued by one part where the author talks about sourdough being mostly protein- that the carbs are somehow converted to protein in the fermentation process. I tried to find more info on this but have come up with nothing. Does anyone know if this is really true? btw, the cookbook is great. The recipes just need a little tweaking to make them more NT-friendly.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:07 AM

Hi all!!
I am Jennifer and I am a whole foods near-vegan who is reading NT because my best friend does it and really likes it(she has also suffered from depression issues in the past as I have). It is also timely since dh and I may be moving and starting our own family farm soon... (I am praying every hour for this dream to come true!!)

I just read the first part about fats...my brain is very confused...I do agree that white flour and sugar are the devil though!

My main worry--(This is vain-watch out!) Can one become/stay think doing this???
I have also had severe PPD/PPP and just suffered a miscarriage this past month. Both times these happened I was on a very low-fat eating regime. Makes me wonder......

Now my body is in recovery from the loss and hemmorage induced shock which I spent time in the hospital for....It's been 5 weeks and I still cannot excerise because my dr is so afraid my hemmoraging will start again. Help!!! I have 15 pounds that I gained during pregnancy to lose and I want my brain and body to be restored..thank you for helping me in advance. I am doing as much research as possible on my own as to not annoy ya'll with silly questions!! I think we even have a meeting group in our area.

Sincerely, Jennifer

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

Old 04-06-2006, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
gardenmommy, I thought you meant you topped the SOUP off with the Newman Os. Like, you tossed them in the pot right at the end. I wondered if maybe they weren't like cheerios but were something else entirely, maybe some kind of seasoning... lol

Newcastlemama, this is just my experience... I've only ever gained/held on to (baby) weight when indulging in a lot of sweets. When I get back into a good NT routine, which for me is a lot of fat -- for a while I was using an online calorie counter thing, my intake was around 2500 cal a day on average, with usually close to 60% of my intake as fat -- I lose weight. Not drastically, but I get back down to what I figure is now my non-preg (between pregs, during nursing) weight of about 105 lbs (I'm 5' tall). There's a new book out by the same authors called Eat Fat, Lose Fat which I believe focuses largely on coconut oil. I haven't read it, but I know some here have if you have any questions.

I had some ppd after my last preg -- I was eating worse than I had after any other preg (we were renovating, and I had no kitchen, just a fridge and a microwave, and no room in which to do any food prep, and two other kids besides the new baby to feed and amuse) and I do think it was mainly nutritional. Things changed when I started taking b12 and fish oil, but they got MUCH better when I started drinking full-fat (not just 3.25% or whatever store milk is, this is full fat from jersey cows) raw milk, lots of raw butter, and raw cream. Yum. There are some on this list who I'm sure can give you more info than I can as they came to NT from a diet much like yours and had ppd as well and found that changing their diet made a huge difference.

As for the miscarriage (which I'm sorry to hear about, I hope you're feeling OK), one of the things that was definately stressed in the book written by the original researcher (whose findings NT is based on) was that expectant mothers (and parents who were ttc) placed a high value on diet, often going to great lengths to obtain "superfoods". On the other hand, I think that even if you're eating perfectly, miscarriages can still happen. I don't think it's something that we can control. But I think that eating well can certainly make a pregnancy easier on you.

Welcome

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 04-06-2006, 08:27 AM

subbing...need to get back on track
Old 04-06-2006, 11:16 AM

Newcastlemom~you'll definitely get answers here about ppd! We have an expert lurking about...I bet she'll turn up soon.
I came here as a vegan. I have taken alot of what NT says with me on my journey. I read NT before I ever became vegan...I have since discovered that I may not be getting what I need due to my own personal issues. I have also modified the diet greatly to fit me. I can't do grains-properly prepared or not, and I can't do dairy raw or not. But I soak my nuts and seeds, when I eat animal products they are always pastured/organic/grass-fed/wild depending on what it is!
I will second that a high fat diet does not make you gain weight at all. It's the refined junk. I lost 60 pounds eating more fat than I ever had before in my life. It has stayed off. (BTW I didn't lose almost anything as a vegan, it was cutting grains and adding FAT and animal products that did it.) I still struggle (as I'm sure you've read!) with the meat thing. But I'm working at it!
Old 04-06-2006, 12:43 PM

Jennifer, my sister is a model. Literally. She was with Ford in Chicago and is now with another agencey in San Fran. Being skinny is her living. She's naturally skinny, of course, but does exercise a lot and is conscious of her weight. She has to be. She went with me to the WAPF Western conference in early march. She used to be a skim milk and egg white gal. After the conference she was convinced about the NT way! She went home and immediately changed her eating habits. It was a big mental hurdle for her to think saturated fat is OK and that she wouldn't balloon up.

I visited her three weeks later and she told me she LOST weight!

Hope that helps encourage you!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
Old 04-06-2006, 01:36 PM

firefaery- if you didn't get sick the meat was obviously fine. Like gardenmommy says, it's when someone else grinds it that you worry. To make carpaccio: freeze part of a beef tenderloin for 2 weeks. You need: a fine olive oil, or garlic infused olive oil. Arugula, or another young bitter green. Some roasted garlic cloves. Fresh parmesan. Remove beef from freezer, and slice razor thin while nearly frozen. Arrange on plate artfully, with greens and garlic. Drizzle all generously with oil, a shave parm on top. A touch of cracked pepper and sea salt if you like. You can alternate bites of just meat, or meat wrapped around garlic, and then greens. It is a beautiful dish, the oil compensates for the lack of fat on the meat, the greens rather cleanse the palate. . . . On the winter menu where my husband works, they had a carpaccio tasting- pastured buffalo, hemp-fed beef and another local beef. It was amazing. Raw meat and raw milk courage go together. I wouldn't eat raw meat from my grocery, but would probably not mind eating it from firefaery's butcher. It is interesting how many practices from NT are tenets of fine dining 'cheferie' practices.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:39 PM

Oh. My. God. Done and done! Thank you SOOOOO much! I'm going to have to go this weekend and get some beef tenderloin! Now THIS is a craving!
Old 04-06-2006, 02:54 PM

Seriously, early in this pg I told my husband to stop talking about it. If you are far enough north that the dandelions haven't bloomed yet, I think dandelion greens would be a good match.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I made an NT convert this week!!

I had left my (library) copy of NT in the bathroom, and my friend read some of it while she was in there. Now she took it out of her library!!

I somehow doubt she'll stop using artificial sweeteners for her diabetic DH, but baby steps, right? Now I'll have somebody IRL to talk about food with, who'll know what I'm talking about!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 04-06-2006, 08:39 PM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
Subbing to get back in the game :-)

My plans for the weekend include beef stock, ginger ale, and maybe some more kimchi.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:39 PM

I made some kimchi last week- fermented it for 3 days, now it's in my fridge. it smells so strong that i'm afraid to try it. maybe sauerkraut would be a better start?

what's with the no microwave comments? i'm still waiting on my nt book, can someone fill me in?

R

mama to DS born 9/7/05, DD born 8/20/07, DS born 9/4/10 and DS born 11/26/13

Loving our chaotic, crunchy, homeschooling life!
Old 04-06-2006, 10:06 PM

My best freind is really excited that I have joined on with her to ltry NT.
I bought the Maker's Diet since WAPF gave it a thumbs-up for more info

Question 1: Ds (20 months) is no longer breasfed but was allergic to commercial milk and milk formula. Raw Goat milk?

Question 2: I am still afraid of having a heart attack eating this much fat. I am 26 and have been a lowfat/vegetarian/highcarb since age 13! How do you change this mindset?

Anyone want to post what they ate today?

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

Old 04-06-2006, 10:39 PM

Howdy!
I'm fairly new to NT and wanted to know if anyone gains weight with eating all the cream, eggs, whole milk yogurt, meat etc. I hardly trust myself with all the yummy things to choose from!
Excuse me if this is a silly question, just wondering about folks experiences. I gain weight remarkably easy and would rather not gain any (if I needed to to be healthy I would, but, alas, I don't need to!)

pax,
Danae
Old 04-06-2006, 10:48 PM

Newcastlemama-different fats do different things. Beneficial fats (like those in NT) do not collect in the arteries. The actually can protect (how's that for counterintuive!) you against heart disease. IT's the nasty trans fats and man made fats and to some extent the imbalance of omega 3's to omega 6's so prevalant in the SAD that causes problems.
I also feel better (based on my own non-NT research) consuming fats that weren't heated. But that's my hang up. I do heat butter occasionally, but cconut oil and olive oil I usually do raw.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:52 PM

Microwaves are the devil! They alter the structure of food, denature it and make what little is left harder for the body to digest. this isn't NT-it's just fact.

On fats: we were just talking about this today! You may want to check out "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" Fat doesn't make you gain weight, refined sugars and refined grains do. i lost 60 pounds in a couple of months (which was all I needed to lose) doing lots of fat.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlemama
Question 2: I am still afraid of having a heart attack eating this much fat. I am 26 and have been a lowfat/vegetarian/highcarb since age 13! How do you change this mindset?
Jennifer,

I attribute my PPD to many years of low fat living. When I started on an NT-like diet, I lost a lot of weight as well and had been fairly overweight for years.

The omega 3 fatty acids in particular are critical for depression which is why there are often discussions of cod liver oil on the PPD forum. The plant-based sources of ALA require that you convert it into EPA and your body may or may not be able to do so effectively. And in any case, you would need to consume a lot and that's oil too. We all need fats.

SInce I started high doses of cod liver oil, my skin has become as soft as a baby's (or so it seems since we don't have a baby around here for comparison). Try it for a couple of months and see how things wok out for you. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Amanda

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

Old 04-07-2006, 12:19 AM

Hi gang-

I'm breaking down and BUYING my NT book (I have a library copy, and I refer to it so much I just can't give it up!)

I've heard (Im sorry, I can't sight who/where) That the human body can only digest 2oz. of protien at a "time". Not that this changes the amount of NT meat I consume, but, has anyone else heard this?

-Nicole
Old 04-07-2006, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchMama
Excuse me if this is a silly question, just wondering about folks experiences. I gain weight remarkably easy and would rather not gain any (if I needed to to be healthy I would, but, alas, I don't need to!)

pax,
Danae
Be sure to read all of this page (page 4) for comments on this and read Eat Fat, Lose Fat!

Old 04-07-2006, 12:46 AM

Just dropping in again to ask one quick question . . .

I've finally got my hands on the NT cookbook and nothing it says is a surprise since readint the monthly NT threads and MDC in general. Anyway, Fallon warns against drinking fluoridated water and I've known for a long time that I wanted to avoid it so I was drinking bottled water until I recently found out that it's really no better than tap watter more often than not. I just wanted to know what you ladies do in terms of filtering out fluoride. I was just going to get a reverse osmosis system but Fallon says that it would also fiter out good minerals. Anyway . . . I know this is not the biggest part of NT but it's still an important part, I would think, since traditional people did not regularly ingest fluoride (but still had good bone/tooth health). TIA!!

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
Old 04-07-2006, 12:59 AM

Definitely do some searches here for fluoride. I haven't found too many filters that take out fluoride. At least not in my brief search of affordable options. Here's what someone I know uses that is pretty affordable, but requires some place to put it, which we just don't have. It's the British Berkefeld line.

http://www.jamesfilter.com/british_berkefeld.htm

Old 04-07-2006, 01:14 AM

One thing I keep questioning...

There was no way that amount of meat was available to previous generations/cavewomen! (LOL) Thats just not realistic, they ate very little meat...what they could catch or raise. Strange...

Any rebuttals?
Old 04-07-2006, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelletta
One thing I keep questioning...

There was no way that amount of meat was available to previous generations/cavewomen! (LOL) Thats just not realistic, they ate very little meat...what they could catch or raise. Strange...

Any rebuttals?
How much meat they ate would completely depend on the season and the climate. If you're living in an area where grasses can grow, but fruit trees can't, then you're going to be eating a lot of grazing animals! I'd also think the quantity of meat available per person would have a lot to do with the relative populations of humans and animals- if there's only a small tribe of humans and lots of herds of animals, then there'd be plenty of meat available per person.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 04-07-2006, 10:58 AM

For cholesterol/heart attack worries -- read The Cholesterol Myths. I haven't, myself, but it has been recommended here. And I think there has been at least one thread here in Nutrition and Good Eating about it... and probably more about cholesterol.

Cruchmama, I was getting raw milk/cream/butter and good eggs for a while, after my third child was born. I didn't lose the last of the preg weight until I upped my fat intake when I got the milkfat. And I was going through 1 - 2 L of cream, a couple of dozen eggs, and probably 3/4 of a gallon of full fat jersey milk myself in a week. Plus butter on EVERYTHING.

And I agree with Ruthla about the meat. Most of the world isn't like the American midwest... much of it isn't suitable for farming, but pastured animals can live on the plants that do grow there and thus provide people with food. Also, people who live where summers are 2 months simply can't survive on much plant food. But grass doesn't need much time to grow, and you can store hay for your animals over the winter. Often, previous generations didn't get a lot of meat because of man-made economic/political problems -- a serf paying high taxes doesn't have much left over for his family. But a cavewoman, they didn't raise anything. They were hunter/gatherers.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

Old 04-07-2006, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyneburh
I'm loving this meat discussion. I'm a huge beef eater. I just crave beef nearly all the time. Now I'm wondering if it's because need more then I'm getting.

A separate question...

I just made my first batch of beef stock using soup bones (but not oxtail or anything like that). It's tasty but it didn't gel up. Is that because I kept adding water as things uncovered or could it be because I used a crockpot. I cooked it the full 72 hours.

Any ideas?
Hi I am joining this thread. I have been reading for several weeks and I am on a waiting list for the book.

Beef stock- either you did not have enough bones (marrow) being the best or you added too much water. I never add more water and my pan is full of bones with just a little vegs for flavor. You can also brown the bones in the oven befor making stock for more flavor, it is the French way.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:07 PM

Okay, I just posted this on the main forum...yesterday at the EFT conference in Chicago Dr. Mercola started warning against CLO. He said that he is seeing many patients with vitamin D overdose/toxicity. He has decided that krill oil is actually a safer better source of vitamin A and essential fatty acids-omega 3 in particular. He said that the omega 3's in krill oil are more easily absorbed than in CLO and don't carry the risks. It also has a much higher concentration of antioxidants. Ack! No I'm a liitle concerned. He said that krill oil would actually be better for PPD, and depression in general. I'll let you know if anyone's interested what comes up today. He talked alot about diet as well.
Any thoughts on this? Anyone come across this before?
Old 04-07-2006, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
Okay, I just posted this on the main forum...yesterday at the EFT conference in Chicago Dr. Mercola started warning against CLO. He said that he is seeing many patients with vitamin D overdose/toxicity. He has decided that krill oil is actually a safer better source of vitamin A and essential fatty acids-omega 3 in particular. He said that the omega 3's in krill oil are more easily absorbed than in CLO and don't carry the risks. It also has a much higher concentration of antioxidants. Ack! No I'm a liitle concerned. He said that krill oil would actually be better for PPD, and depression in general. I'll let you know if anyone's interested what comes up today. He talked alot about diet as well.
Any thoughts on this? Anyone come across this before?
Hmmm...interesting. Yes, please keep us posted.

User Tag List