Mothering Forum banner

NT April

17K views 502 replies 62 participants last post by  Panserbjorne 
#1 ·
Hey Nourishing mama's! It's a new month.

Has anyone tried anything new and great lately? I'm wanting to try a cereal recipe for my kids and dh in the mornings when I want them to fend for themselves. I've tried one before from EFLF--tasted like Grape nuts.

I'm still working on doing a more NT version of raw. Just wishing I had a source of raw butter. We are loving having the wonderful goat's milk.

Anyone have good jerky recipes/seasoning ideas? I'll be needing to make a bunch soon!

#52 ·
When they make ground meat, it just has a greater risk of contamination from fecal matter (among other things) in the processing. Hand processed is much less of a risk. If you trust your processor, don't worry about it. Tenderloins are delivered with a silver screen (tendonish) still secure around the meat, and are cleaned on-site usually. I have some frozen to eat raw that dh brought from work. I would have no problem eating the local hemp-fed ground beef my husband gets at work raw. But seriously, a guy I know cut off the top part of his finger in the meat grinder, and the store still sold the meat. Non store processed is even worse, is the underpaid guy at the plant going to notice every punctured intestine? NO. Oooh but if you like raw ground beef, learn to make steak tartare. Raw beef, raw eggs french style. My father loves it.

#53 ·
The freeze dried organs sound great to me. I have some freeze dried liver as a treat for our dog, I keep thinking it would be good for us to find something like that. I am sure eating hers would not be a good thing. Anyway, I could do six capsules a day of it when I needed to. It would be cheaper to eat the raw liver, I am just not there yet.

#54 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yooper
3. Again, asked before but am still undecided.....if you could not get raw dairy, would you still eat dairy (assuming you can get organic)?
Non pasturized is illegal in Ohio, where I live.
I've been getting organic, pasturized, nonhomogenized milk, but Ive decided to stop, and use rice milk for cooking, and almond milk for coffee and cereal, and some baking.
Butter, I'm torn- I get Amish butter, grass fed but not certified organic. I did find margarine with no hydrogenated oil, though. Not sure which to go with here.
Cheese, yeah. It'll be a long time before I can get dp to go without cheese.

Quote:
4. I have been working on my sourdough expertise. I finally made a couple of loaves that are edible. They are still pretty flat and VERY dense but at least they are not suitable for using as pavers liek the other ones I have made are. Since the dough is rising overnight, is that grain considered "soaked"?
One site I read, said that too much flour is generally the reason for brick-bread. She said its better to use too little than too much. I was making brick-bread, but now, I err on the side of too little, and my bread comes out. I'm trying to get it right too!
http://www.sourdoughhome.com/bakingintro3.html it says it here. There's some good advice on the site (though I ignored the advice that beginners shouldn't try sourdough starter from scratch lol)

Quote:
6. What is the deal with sour cream? It is one of the things I loved to eat the most before I went vegan. But I do not see it discussed or used in the NT book. Is there a reason?
I don't know. But I use plain yogurt, that's been drained a bit, in place of sour cream. It tastes right to me.

Quote:
8. Why CLO? I keep seeing it discussed here. Why do you use it?
I use clo because ds has cavities, and I read that it could help. I figured it couldn't hurt. Plus, ds loves it now!

#55 ·
Well, after moaning about not being able to get non-homogenized milk, my co-op started carrying it this week! So I can get organic, non-****. But it is of course still pastauraized..... So what do I do with the cream? Any ideas? Half gal costs $4. Is that a lot?

My sourdough is a brick but I am pretty sure it is a not-enough-flour problem. It sorts of melts in the pan then does not rise enough. It is very wet as that is what I heard to try. Also, I use home ground flour and I think it is hard to rise. However, edible is step in the right direction so I am happy

#56 ·
I forgot to reply yesterday (DD has a cold with 101.7 degree fever- never got that back when she was nursing!).

Yes, I have an adrenal support supplement with adrenals that my chiropractor gave me. She said my adrenals were shot, LOL. This was when I was 8 months pregnant. It's been too hard to get to the chiro the past 1 1/2 months so I haven't gotten a chance to see if I've had any improvement, but I hope to go back soon for weekly maintenance. Oh, it is called Nutriwest DSF Formula and has C and B vitamins and Pathothenic acid, mag, zinc and chromium with the adrenal, thymus, spleen etc. Your source sounds really great though. Maybe I'll have to look into in when I'm out...

oops, baby is up! Kelly

Quote:

Originally Posted by carnelian
The meat issue is such a personal one. You can see that from the variety of responses to amount and type. My ND, for example, who is a big meat supporter (as long as it's pastured and organic) advises eating no more than 4-6 oz. at one sitting, saying that more presents a serious strain on the digestive system. I'll ask again, has anyone tried organ/glandular extracts?

#57 ·
Well, I only ate a bit of chicken and fish for over 10 years and hardly any eggs either for that matter B.K. (before kids). I think I might faint even now if that happened to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by toraji
Trying not to offend anyone who thinks balut is good eatin' (it is apparently sold in some Asian markets), but I nearly fainted the one time I cracked open an egg and found a formed chick instead. My brother, smarta$$ that he is, said "Did you eat it? It probably would have been the freshest chicken you'd ever eat. Like chicken veal."

#58 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by toraji
Trying not to offend anyone who thinks balut is good eatin'
I lived in the Philippines as a child and am a food adventurist. Yet, I still haven't managed to eat balut. I'd love to hear of anyone's balut adventures, though!

#59 ·
On eating raw meat: generally speaking, non-ground meats (steaks, roast, tenderloins, etc.) are sterile inside. When you prick them, cut them up for marinating or cooking, etc., you open up pathways for bacteria to move from the surface of the meat to the interior of the meat. This is why ground meats have a higher risk of contamination. There is no "interior" in ground meat; the outside (where the bacteria reside) has been thoroughly mixed into the inside (that is considered sterile until sliced, poked, pricked, or whatever).

I am very curious as to how you got your sourdough starter to flourish. I am an abject failure in this area. I can bake using commercial yeast, but can't get a starter to survive.

Gale Force: I could eat that much beef! I think all day about having a big meal with meat in it for supper. Generally, I eat lots of fruits and veg. during the day, but for supper, man! I can pack it away! Roasts, hamburger, chili, lamb chops... I'm getting really hungry. Of course, we're not eating many grains, so my body really wants that dense protein to fill me up. If I don't eat meat, I am starving, and crave sweets.

I have a freezer full of pastured beef right now. We eat beef probably 5 nights out of 7. Sometimes, if there are leftovers, I'll snack on it throughout the day, as the urge hits me.

I think how much you should eat depends entirely on what your body needs. If you are hungry for it, and can afford it, by all means eat it! If it's not what you want, don't eat it. Same with dairy. This assumes, of course, that you have access to good quality, not just the standard grocery store fare.

#60 ·
Why does steak tartare make it okay? That was what i was eating, basically. It was pastured organic ground beef with a pastured egg and some veggies and spices. That's how dh likes the meat in his sauces. Does "actual" steak tartare have something like vinegar in it or something?

#61 ·
I think it's usually made from the very expensive cuts of meat--filet mignon for example, and ground on the spot for the reasons gardenmommy pointed out. Usually a raw egg, onion and spices are added. I'm not sure how I feel about raw meat. It's not the 'ick' factor more the thought of parasites and the like.

#63 ·
I made a yummy soup tonight. I had made a roast late last week, and had a lot left over. Since we aren't eating too many sandwiches, we aren't using it up as quickly as I'd like. So here is what I did:

Chopped an onion, some celery, and some carrots. Sauteed that in EVCO until tender. Added about 3 cups water and a quart of home canned tomatoes. While that was heating, I diced the remaining roast and two smallish zucchinis. Tossed those into the pot, then seasoned with garlic powder, parsley, oregano, sea salt, and fresh ground pepper. I let it all simmer for about 30 minutes. It was delicious! My Dh said it ranked as one of the best soups ever.

Now for what I'd like to do differently:

-Use broth instead of water. I am out of broth, at the moment, as I need to dig out my soup bones and cook them.
-Use fresh garlic. I was too rushed and tired to chop it while chasing a toddler out of everything she could get her chubby little hands on.

Then, I topped it off with a handful of Newman O's, just had to finish off the package, get them out of the house so no one else would eat them. I'm being a good mother, you know, not letting my children have such a thing! Ok, so that is a weakness, and I'm glad they're gone. It's much easier to eat healthy when I don't have a stash!

#64 ·
Oxtail soup- if you can get your hands on oxtail, it makes the best best best soup!! Make stock with oxtail, cabbage, and onion. It's amazing!

Meat eating footprint- Where we live, cattle pastured in rotation help to mimic the way the buffalo used to graze, fertilize, and turn up the soil. So, in that respect, eating meat might even be called eco-friendly

Sourdough- I've taken the plunge into sourdough again over the last week or so, and seem to finally have a good starter. I've been having great success. I have found that my best starter has been made with only water and flour (whole wheat). I've tried starting a starter with commercial yeast, and natural sweeteners, but the resulting breads were heavier. Also, to keep my breads from spreading out too much while rising, I've been letting them rise (and bake) in a size 6 cast iron skillet, which does a very nice job.

I got Alaskan Sourdough from the library and was very intrigued by one part where the author talks about sourdough being mostly protein- that the carbs are somehow converted to protein in the fermentation process. I tried to find more info on this but have come up with nothing. Does anyone know if this is really true? btw, the cookbook is great. The recipes just need a little tweaking to make them more NT-friendly.

#65 ·
Hi all!!
I am Jennifer and I am a whole foods near-vegan who is reading NT because my best friend does it and really likes it(she has also suffered from depression issues in the past as I have). It is also timely since dh and I may be moving and starting our own family farm soon...
(I am praying every hour for this dream to come true!!)

I just read the first part about fats...my brain is very confused...I do agree that white flour and sugar are the devil though!

My main worry--(This is vain-watch out!) Can one become/stay think doing this???
I have also had severe PPD/PPP and just suffered a miscarriage this past month. Both times these happened I was on a very low-fat eating regime. Makes me wonder......

Now my body is in recovery from the loss and hemmorage induced shock which I spent time in the hospital for....It's been 5 weeks and I still cannot excerise because my dr is so afraid my hemmoraging will start again. Help!!! I have 15 pounds that I gained during pregnancy to lose and I want my brain and body to be restored..thank you for helping me in advance. I am doing as much research as possible on my own as to not annoy ya'll with silly questions!! I think we even have a meeting group in our area.

Sincerely, Jennifer

#66 ·
gardenmommy, I thought you meant you topped the SOUP off with the Newman Os. Like, you tossed them in the pot right at the end. I wondered if maybe they weren't like cheerios but were something else entirely, maybe some kind of seasoning... lol

Newcastlemama, this is just my experience... I've only ever gained/held on to (baby) weight when indulging in a lot of sweets. When I get back into a good NT routine, which for me is a lot of fat -- for a while I was using an online calorie counter thing, my intake was around 2500 cal a day on average, with usually close to 60% of my intake as fat -- I lose weight. Not drastically, but I get back down to what I figure is now my non-preg (between pregs, during nursing) weight of about 105 lbs (I'm 5' tall). There's a new book out by the same authors called Eat Fat, Lose Fat which I believe focuses largely on coconut oil. I haven't read it, but I know some here have if you have any questions.

I had some ppd after my last preg -- I was eating worse than I had after any other preg (we were renovating, and I had no kitchen, just a fridge and a microwave, and no room in which to do any food prep, and two other kids besides the new baby to feed and amuse) and I do think it was mainly nutritional. Things changed when I started taking b12 and fish oil, but they got MUCH better when I started drinking full-fat (not just 3.25% or whatever store milk is, this is full fat from jersey cows) raw milk, lots of raw butter, and raw cream. Yum. There are some on this list who I'm sure can give you more info than I can as they came to NT from a diet much like yours and had ppd as well and found that changing their diet made a huge difference.

As for the miscarriage (which I'm sorry to hear about, I hope you're feeling OK), one of the things that was definately stressed in the book written by the original researcher (whose findings NT is based on) was that expectant mothers (and parents who were ttc) placed a high value on diet, often going to great lengths to obtain "superfoods". On the other hand, I think that even if you're eating perfectly, miscarriages can still happen. I don't think it's something that we can control. But I think that eating well can certainly make a pregnancy easier on you.

Welcome

#68 ·
Newcastlemom~you'll definitely get answers here about ppd! We have an expert lurking about...I bet she'll turn up soon.
I came here as a vegan. I have taken alot of what NT says with me on my journey. I read NT before I ever became vegan...I have since discovered that I may not be getting what I need due to my own personal issues. I have also modified the diet greatly to fit me. I can't do grains-properly prepared or not, and I can't do dairy raw or not. But I soak my nuts and seeds, when I eat animal products they are always pastured/organic/grass-fed/wild depending on what it is!
I will second that a high fat diet does not make you gain weight at all. It's the refined junk. I lost 60 pounds eating more fat than I ever had before in my life. It has stayed off. (BTW I didn't lose almost anything as a vegan, it was cutting grains and adding FAT and animal products that did it.) I still struggle (as I'm sure you've read!) with the meat thing. But I'm working at it!

#69 ·
Jennifer, my sister is a model. Literally. She was with Ford in Chicago and is now with another agencey in San Fran. Being skinny is her living. She's naturally skinny, of course, but does exercise a lot and is conscious of her weight. She has to be. She went with me to the WAPF Western conference in early march. She used to be a skim milk and egg white gal. After the conference she was convinced about the NT way! She went home and immediately changed her eating habits. It was a big mental hurdle for her to think saturated fat is OK and that she wouldn't balloon up.

I visited her three weeks later and she told me she LOST weight!

Hope that helps encourage you!

#70 ·
firefaery- if you didn't get sick the meat was obviously fine. Like gardenmommy says, it's when someone else grinds it that you worry. To make carpaccio: freeze part of a beef tenderloin for 2 weeks. You need: a fine olive oil, or garlic infused olive oil. Arugula, or another young bitter green. Some roasted garlic cloves. Fresh parmesan. Remove beef from freezer, and slice razor thin while nearly frozen. Arrange on plate artfully, with greens and garlic. Drizzle all generously with oil, a shave parm on top. A touch of cracked pepper and sea salt if you like. You can alternate bites of just meat, or meat wrapped around garlic, and then greens. It is a beautiful dish, the oil compensates for the lack of fat on the meat, the greens rather cleanse the palate. . . . On the winter menu where my husband works, they had a carpaccio tasting- pastured buffalo, hemp-fed beef and another local beef. It was amazing. Raw meat and raw milk courage go together. I wouldn't eat raw meat from my grocery, but would probably not mind eating it from firefaery's butcher. It is interesting how many practices from NT are tenets of fine dining 'cheferie' practices.

#73 ·
I made an NT convert this week!!

I had left my (library) copy of NT in the bathroom, and my friend read some of it while she was in there. Now she took it out of her library!!

I somehow doubt she'll stop using artificial sweeteners for her diabetic DH, but baby steps, right? Now I'll have somebody IRL to talk about food with, who'll know what I'm talking about!

#75 ·
I made some kimchi last week- fermented it for 3 days, now it's in my fridge. it smells so strong that i'm afraid to try it. maybe sauerkraut would be a better start?

what's with the no microwave comments? i'm still waiting on my nt book, can someone fill me in?

R

#76 ·
My best freind is really excited that I have joined on with her to ltry NT.
I bought the Maker's Diet since WAPF gave it a thumbs-up for more info

Question 1: Ds (20 months) is no longer breasfed but was allergic to commercial milk and milk formula. Raw Goat milk?

Question 2: I am still afraid of having a heart attack eating this much fat. I am 26 and have been a lowfat/vegetarian/highcarb since age 13! How do you change this mindset?

Anyone want to post what they ate today?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.